• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Uh ... practice?

For reverse bair you can try this set up in Falcon dittos - bair/nair fthrow short hop uair short hop reverse bair.

I don't really know how to give tips for this: it's just practicing until you know where the hitboxes are.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
i experienced the m3gavolt kick first hand. it doesn't matter how many people use it as an edgeguard, m3gavolt pulls it off with finesse and style

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
So I can angle ftilt but not fmash (and therefore I can't fsmash Kirby half the time). Is this some kind of a deadzone issue, or is the timing different from tilts?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I didn't know edgeguarding with descending Falcon Kick had a name. I did that long ago. xD

inb4vidsordidnthappen

Oh and f-smash, it's a timing.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Probably timing. It's a little tricky. Go into practice mode for 15 minutes and you should be good.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Angling Fsmashes is a little different from tilts. I find it easiest to do an fsmash and then immediately push the analog in the direction I want it to go.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I've been having a lot of trouble approaching DK with Falcon. I can't seem to get close enough to U-smash and just generally get grabbed a lot when approaching. does anyone have any advise for approach. also i find myself getting gimped a ton with f-throw ff up-b off the level. is there a strategy to combat this?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Mash out of the cargo hold. Otherwise, counterpick Hyrule :awesome:

B-Air is generally a good spacing tool, beats most of DK's stuff except Up-B or possibly B-Air (though the B-Air will only land a weak hit). Landing a B-Air can lead to stuff.

If you really want to land U-Smashes, I would advise you to try and read them, or manipulate them if they're repetitive. Do they pivot grab a lot? If so, pretend they're a bit behind where they actually are and aim to hit that area. Do they intercept your dash? Dancedash a little to bait them out.

Raw U-Airs on DK can lead to combos. I tend to play attrition against campy DKs and take grabs/U-Smashes only when they show themselves to me, and it generally works.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Work on that mashing. My vs. DK game has gotten 100% better since I spent a little time King of Buttons'ing it up.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I would really recommend to avoid dash>upsmash at any time. The ending on lag on that move is ridiculous and pretty much allows them to do whatever they want during that time. Obviously while dash>grab is very good for falcon against most characters as you said DK's grab tend to out-range it. I recommend as aa said to use that bair, and also take advantage of platforms if you can. Platdrop bairs can be a really good approach tool.

Also what everyone above said.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
why am I not subscribed to this?

fixing that now.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I know right? It's indubitably the most amazing thread ever.

What are people's opinions on how to edgeguard a Yoshi? His super armour can be a hassle at times.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
yup. since up-b acts as a grab, it's not affected by super-armor. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me on this.

if you can't get the up-b, then my advice would be to stay a bit off the edge, wait for his jump to end, and then try bair him back off.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
You're correct about super armour not affecting it don't worry. My problem with it though is that if they recover high they can time an aerial like a fair to prevent getting caught. Also it can't do a lot at low percents since Yoshi gets his jump back after the UpB.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Only use it if they recover low.

Yeah Yoshi gets his jump back, but then you can just do it again until he dies lol

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
You're correct about super armour not affecting it don't worry. My problem with it though is that if they recover high they can time an aerial like a fair to prevent getting caught. Also it can't do a lot at low percents since Yoshi gets his jump back after the UpB.
You can work around Fairs on the recovery with Bairs and Uairs (SH Uair hitting the horizontal frames is yoshis best friend) spacing obviously being the key.

Warnipple

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm a Falcon player with trouble playing against Mario, Link and Fox.

Can someone give me some tips against these characters?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Link and Fox you combo really well, so you just gotta get in on them.

It's a bit easier with Link since his moves are slower. Just keep dodging the projectile spam.

Against Fox you gotta get around the lasers - usually by going above, but sometimes you can dash below lasers.

TheFooL

Smash Cadet

I play a pretty relentless Falcon, and Mario, Link, and Fox have the most annoying projectiles against Falcon.

Against link, you gotta watch out for his projectiles. Thel boomerang can be blocked with a forward tilt or a fair pretty reliably. I also like to dash and cancel with shield to block the boomerangs. This technique can also be used to block bombs, and thats pretty much the most reliable way. Falcon's advantage over link is his much greater ground speed and agility. Literally, Run in and start combos with forward throw or upsmash. Keep the shield pressure on Link, as he isn't as strong in close quarters as falcon. Link will probably retreat while throwing boomerangs and bombs, which you can jump over or duck under. Link has awful recovery, and so backthrows off the ledge at as low as 40% often kill. Don't try to fight link in the air, but definitely fight him INTO the air.

Fox is more difficult of a matchup, in ways he is faster than falcon. I find that fox's lasers can most easily be avoided by jumping over them. Fox can't cancel the "laser put away" animation so if you get to him quick enough you can punish him. Use Usmash to interrupt any aerial approaches. Shield is your friend. When timed right I find fsmash very effective.

Mario also has an annoying projectile. Avoid at all cost, shield only when necessary. The lag from getting hit by the fireball or by shielding it is enough for mario to keep approaching while assaulting you with fireballs, leaving you helpless as he grabs you and combos you. Be careful approaching from above, as mario's Usmash can kill at low percents. If possible, try to beat mario to the ground so you can usmash him into more uair or otherwise combos. Don't forget the nair, it's great against marios other aerials. Otherwise, forward throw or upsmash combos are best.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Bombs cannot be aerialed, shielding is ok in this matchup since Link only has a few ways to shield pressure you at mid range. If he lands a strong aerial on your shield he can grab successfully, so be careful. Bread and butter combos work very well, especially on Dreamland.

Fox short hopping lasers won't need to bother with the putaway animation, so don't count on getting hits from Fox shooting grounded lasers. Shielding gets you grabbed, don't do it. Fox can techchase easily or knock you off the edge for edgeguarding with grabs, so shielding is bad.

Mario's fireballs are best hit with aerials. Don't shield them, Mario has good shield pressure and better edgeguarding. U-Smash out of shield if possible. B-Air is better than N-Air in basically every spacing situation.

Otherwise, surprisingly good advice from a 2 post member.

Battlecow

Play to Win

Can't really offer advice except for the very most general kind until I know how good you and he are. Vids would be great if you can get them.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I play a pretty relentless Falcon, and Mario, Link, and Fox have the most annoying projectiles against Falcon.

Against link, you gotta watch out for his projectiles. Thel boomerang can be blocked with a forward tilt or a fair pretty reliably. I also like to dash and cancel with shield to block the boomerangs. This technique can also be used to block bombs, and thats pretty much the most reliable way. Falcon's advantage over link is his much greater ground speed and agility. Literally, Run in and start combos with forward throw or upsmash. Keep the shield pressure on Link, as he isn't as strong in close quarters as falcon. Link will probably retreat while throwing boomerangs and bombs, which you can jump over or duck under. Link has awful recovery, and so backthrows off the ledge at as low as 40% often kill. Don't try to fight link in the air, but definitely fight him INTO the air.

Fox is more difficult of a matchup, in ways he is faster than falcon. I find that fox's lasers can most easily be avoided by jumping over them. Fox can't cancel the "laser put away" animation so if you get to him quick enough you can punish him. Use Usmash to interrupt any aerial approaches. Shield is your friend. When timed right I find fsmash very effective.

Mario also has an annoying projectile. Avoid at all cost, shield only when necessary. The lag from getting hit by the fireball or by shielding it is enough for mario to keep approaching while assaulting you with fireballs, leaving you helpless as he grabs you and combos you. Be careful approaching from above, as mario's Usmash can kill at low percents. If possible, try to beat mario to the ground so you can usmash him into more uair or otherwise combos. Don't forget the nair, it's great against marios other aerials. Otherwise, forward throw or upsmash combos are best.
I enjoy the new poster already, welcome to smashboards.

Mario is my least favorite falcon matchup after Kirby. I usually try to use more b-airs for that matchup as it outprioritizes many of Mario's approaches. I also find Falcon's N-air to be good in the matchup as well. Just don't get predicted as Mario's u-air is just as good as Falcon's in this matchup. Also, Mario's up smash is stupid with massive priority and range (It is the most difficult move for me to dodge personally outside of kirby's up tilt for some reason). You don't really have a move to out-prioritize it so be careful at killing percent. I think Falcon can f-throw to falcon punch at 25 if I remember right.

Fox is only a big issue for me on Hyrule (I personally actually think that if Hyrule is the only stage, Fox is the best character in the game). Run and duck under lasers or hop over them. Depends on the stage. Make sure you hit your gimps. Don't be hasty with kills as Fox's pressure is one of the best. Learn to run when you have to.

I don't have major tips for the Link matchup. I have never played it well but I do find Falcon's b-air/n-air/f-air is useful for out prioritizing the boomerang. Link is very heavy and very easy to combo. B-air or f-air boomerangs. Read tech's with d-air combos. Weak n-air is a great combo move also vs heavies. Avoid the up tilt and d-air.

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
Anyone know the exact percentages that FThrow can combo into a Falcon Punch for every character? I've been using ~70% for most characters that my friends play (usually heavy-ish characters), but I'd rather be able to know if I can land the shot before I try it.

Oh, and I've been looking for moves than can hit Yoshi when he's using his Down-B (so he doesn't hit the ground and regain his jump). Bair can work if you approach correctly, but it's pretty hard to time imo. Any suggestions?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
N-Air is the obvious one if timing is the issue, but it tends to lose/only trade hits a lot. F-Smash stays out a fair while too, if you want to try it.

U-Air can hit through fairly often, but is counter-productive unless you can combo into an N-Air/B-Air/Falcon Kick to keep them off (hey, U-Air to Falcon Kick has a plausible use o.o)

Cbasto

Smash Rookie
Is there people who plays with Dpad ? Is it possible to master falcon playing with dpad ?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
We have a player called Kuromatsu who played with a DPad up until very recently and he was God-like, so yes it is possible.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Is there people who plays with Dpad ? Is it possible to master falcon playing with dpad ?
Honestly D-pad has the same limits as Keyboard does in terms of inputting directions.

That being the case, yes you can become very good with the D-pad. But i suggest if you are able to play on an analog stick to do so.

TheFooL

Smash Cadet
Fox short hopping lasers won't need to bother with the putaway animation, so don't count on getting hits from Fox shooting grounded lasers. Shielding gets you grabbed, don't do it. Fox can techchase easily or knock you off the edge for edgeguarding with grabs, so shielding is bad.

Mario's fireballs are best hit with aerials. Don't shield them, Mario has good shield pressure and better edgeguarding. U-Smash out of shield if possible. B-Air is better than N-Air in basically every spacing situation.

Otherwise, surprisingly good advice from a 2 post member.
I enjoy the new poster already, welcome to smashboards.

Mario is my least favorite falcon matchup after Kirby. I usually try to use more b-airs for that matchup as it outprioritizes many of Mario's approaches. I also find Falcon's N-air to be good in the matchup as well. Just don't get predicted as Mario's u-air is just as good as Falcon's in this matchup. Also, Mario's up smash is stupid with massive priority and range (It is the most difficult move for me to dodge personally outside of kirby's up tilt for some reason). You don't really have a move to out-prioritize it so be careful at killing percent. I think Falcon can f-throw to falcon punch at 25 if I remember right.

Fox is only a big issue for me on Hyrule (I personally actually think that if Hyrule is the only stage, Fox is the best character in the game). Run and duck under lasers or hop over them. Depends on the stage. Make sure you hit your gimps. Don't be hasty with kills as Fox's pressure is one of the best. Learn to run when you have to.
Thanks guys, glad to be a part of the community.

I definitely have the least experience with the fox matchup. I forgot about fox's tech chase and grabs against falcon, listen to asianaussie, don't shield. Fox's lasers are most annoying on Hyrule, but the best defense I've found is to duck under the little wall on the left side of the stage, when Fox is shooting from the greenhouse. from here, the lasers can be avoided, and when fox approaches, a lot of falcons moves can hit through the wall, like Usmash, utilt, fair, fsmash (maybe?). so for example, if you're facing the wall, usmash to bair and ledgeguard. near ledges i think falcon's ftilt is great for gimping. As far as ledgeguarding goes, since fox has that initial delay as his recovery "fires up", its a great time to hit him, dbairs or spikes work great. A little trick I like (dont expect a good opponent to fall for it more than once), is if fox starts his recovery horizontally from the edge, but too far away to be attacked from the ledge, falcon kick will go right off the stage and hit him. If timed right, this can also be used to hit people falling off the edge, but be careful, do not abuse.

Mario is really an annoying matchup. If I remember right, the fireballs can be ftilted, but really should be avoided if possible. Proper spacing is really important, to keep you outside of mario's range, but too close for effective fireballing. fsmash, fair, ftilt, bair, anything with good range and decent priority. Take advantage of every missed L-cancel. Mario's recovery can be gimped pretty effectively. His UpB has a lot of landing lag, and if landed on the stage, is just asking to be fsmashed. If sweetspotted, I think it's possible to hit mario with a well timed downtilt near the edge of the stage. If mario recovers with a rising tornado, there's a period of time after the tornado ends but before mario is able to do his UpB where he's vulnerable, this is sorta risky. You can actually clank mario's UpB with falcon's stomp, and if timed right, you'll get hit but mario will be spiked.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, good luck Warnipple.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Thanks guys, glad to be a part of the community.
Always nice to see a rational new poster :)

I definitely have the least experience with the fox matchup. I forgot about fox's tech chase and grabs against falcon, listen to asianaussie, don't shield.
The techchase is only really applicable at low percents or in the box, but grabs are still dangerous...

Fox's lasers are most annoying on Hyrule, but the best defense I've found is to duck under the little wall on the left side of the stage, when Fox is shooting from the greenhouse. from here, the lasers can be avoided, and when fox approaches, a lot of falcons moves can hit through the wall, like Usmash, utilt, fair, fsmash (maybe?).
U-Smash is the only useful one there - maybe a hop D-Air?

so for example, if you're facing the wall, usmash to bair and ledgeguard.
Tippered U-air is probably better, but the basics are right.

near ledges i think falcon's ftilt is great for gimping. As far as ledgeguarding goes, since fox has that initial delay as his recovery "fires up", its a great time to hit him, dbairs or spikes work great.
F-Smash, D-Tilt and aerials (D-Air/B-Air/even N-Air) are probably better than F-Tilt, but edgeguarding Fox can be done with literally any move.

Mario is really an annoying matchup. If I remember right, the fireballs can be ftilted, but really should be avoided if possible. Proper spacing is really important, to keep you outside of mario's range, but too close for effective fireballing. fsmash, fair, ftilt, bair, anything with good range and decent priority.
F-Tilt is cool, but too much emphasis on it lol...B-Air should be the top of the list for beating fireballs, followed by U-Air/N-Air/F-Air. F-Smash fails because it's so punishable, and hence is an inferior spacing tool. You can't really stay in a range that is too close for fireballing, since that means Mario has a good chance of hitting you with something a lot more dangerous.

Take advantage of every missed L-cancel.
Goes without saying, but don't rely on it.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I believe the best and safest edgeguard the majority of time against a fox is Utilt. Covers a lot of range, good knockback and large hitboxes.

@aa - hop dair? You're nuts. Honestly I don't think many foxes are openly going to run at a falcon camping at the wall because they'll know they'll get an upsmash to the face. + Fox can walk up and Dtilt to beat the falcon thanks to Dtilt's massive range.

Top Bottom