• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I really don't see what difference it makes, they've rarely done DLC in the past anyway and only really started with Mario Kart 8 which wasn't in development when E3 came around last year
Well, there's a first time for anything, I guess. Say, did they not do DLC for Hyrule Warriors as well? I know the company who developed it wasn't exactly an Nintendo second party company, if I recall correctly, but still, it was mostly Zelda in that game. Shouldn't that count alongside Mario Kart 8 DLC?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yeah, don't they usually save their DLC stuff for the Directs? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the mario kart dlc was announced beforehand but was first shown in the november direct, don't quote me on that though

Well, there's a first time for anything, I guess. Say, did they not do DLC for Hyrule Warriors as well? I know the company who developed it wasn't exactly an Nintendo second party company, if I recall correctly, but still, it was mostly Zelda in that game. Shouldn't that count alongside Mario Kart 8 DLC?
That was after Mario Kart, I'm saying they really started with Mario kart but was wrong since I forgot about new super luigi U

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the mario kart dlc was announced beforehand but was first shown in the november direct, don't quote me on that though

That was after Mario Kart, I'm saying they really started with Mario kart but was wrong since I forgot about new super luigi U
Ah, there is that, too. Whatever the case is, that Mewtwo DLC should not take much longer to finish before it is released. Maybe soon after that, we'll hear more news on Smash DLC, don't ya all think?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Ah, there is that, too. Whatever the case is, that Mewtwo DLC should not take much longer to finish before it is released. Maybe soon after that, we'll hear more news on Smash DLC, don't ya all think?
Most definitely, I'm sure we'll get some kind of announcement within the months following and E3 is the perfect time

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Most definitely, I'm sure we'll get some kind of announcement within the months following and E3 is the perfect time
Well, whether the Mewtwo DLC launches in April or May or whatever, I don't think it will be too long after that we will get some news. They may announce that more DLC is in the works or not, and if it is, I am sure the actual DLC stuff would be revealed as a surprise to us all at E3. Until E3, I am hoping we'll get news on if more DLC is being made after the Mewtwo DLC is released. I don't care if they don't reveal the characters that are DLC right away, I'd personally just like to see the news of it happening or not.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Not the official release date. March 31st is the last day you can register both games to get Mewtwo, but not official release date.

Could be sooner, could be later.
At the very least we'll have footage by then, they can't expect people to buy another game to get extra content without seeing it first

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Last I saw, the Mewtwo DLC would be released on March 31st. Could be wrong though.
Like SG9000 said, it isn't the official release date. Just the deadline for registering games on Club Nintendo to get Mewtwo codes. I can see Mewtwo DLC being released in April, hopefully.

Speaking of that, Sakurai did say that high sales of Mewtwo DLC would probably help persuade him to make more DLC. With that said, in case he isn't making more now at the moment, I say we should go around and encourage as many people to buy Mewtwo DLC as we can, so that can probably help persuade Sakurai to make more DLC. What do you all say?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I actually sent a message to the EWNetwork of Youtube. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, and yes, I do know he's at PAX East right now.
Good to know. We still could tell more people to get the DLC. A bit off topic, but I have sent messages to others on Youtube lately and even after days, they did not respond. Is it just me, or is there something wrong with the new messaging system on Youtube?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Until recently I've just been enjoying this game and not concerning myself with things like DLC so much. But I did say "until recently". Finally made my way to this end of the board since I've been thinking about DLC stuff more.

Goes without saying that I'm in full support of bringing Wolf back. He was a solid secondary for me in Brawl and really played like no other character. Having him in this game is something I just imagined would happen, and I kept wishing for him to be in it even in the midst of rumors of him being cut prior to the game's release. When it turned out he really was gone, he was easily the hardest cut for me.

Oh, and I was just noticing the Lylat cameo portrait for Wolf is different between Brawl and Smash 4 earlier this week. I started trying to see if the other characters are apparently changed too but it doesn't appear as obvious as Wolf's change. I noticed this change mentioned in the OP too. It's such a curious decision. I don't know what to make of that. In the time this thread has had a chance to simmer, I wonder what the theories are. One could see it as increasing his chances to return since apparently they were playing with his model.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Until recently I've just been enjoying this game and not concerning myself with things like DLC so much. But I did say "until recently". Finally made my way to this end of the board since I've been thinking about DLC stuff more.

Goes without saying that I'm in full support of bringing Wolf back. He was a solid secondary for me in Brawl and really played like no other character. Having him in this game is something I just imagined would happen, and I kept wishing for him to be in it even in the midst of rumors of him being cut prior to the game's release. When it turned out he really was gone, he was easily the hardest cut for me.

Oh, and I was just noticing the Lylat cameo portrait for Wolf is different between Brawl and Smash 4 earlier this week. I started trying to see if the other characters are apparently changed too but it doesn't appear as obvious as Wolf's change. I noticed this change mentioned in the OP too. It's such a curious decision. I don't know what to make of that. In the time this thread has had a chance to simmer, I wonder what the theories are. One could see it as increasing his chances to return since apparently they were playing with his model.
He was the hardest cut for me as well. I really miss him, and hope he returns in Smash 4. He was also one of my mains.

By the way, nice avatar.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
He was the hardest cut for me as well. I really miss him, and hope he returns in Smash 4. He was also one of my mains.

By the way, nice avatar.
Thanks. It's her Twilight Princess skin from Hyrule Warriors. I pressed the home button during one of her victory animations just to capture this face. Then I posted the imagine online from my Wii U and retrieved it with my computer. Took that base image and cropped it for here.

Hyrule Warriors is a great game that's done a lot for the characters of the series. I mean, come on, all those playable characters. Huge replay value in the Adventure modes with tons of unlockables and DLC done sooo right.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Thanks. It's her Twilight Princess skin from Hyrule Warriors. I pressed the home button during one of her victory animations just to capture this face. Then I posted the imagine online from my Wii U and retrieved it with my computer. Took that base image and cropped it for here.

Hyrule Warriors is a great game that's done a lot for the characters of the series. I mean, come on, all those playable characters. Huge replay value in the Adventure modes with tons of unlockables and DLC done sooo right.
Really? Is that so? In that case, I probably should give Hyrule Warriors a try then. I may have some fun with that game.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Really? Is that so? In that case, I probably should give Hyrule Warriors a try then. I may have some fun with that game.
It's a bit repetitive. Not for everyone to be honest. If you're familiar with Dynasty Warriors and like it, then play it. If you're a Zelda fan that loves fanservice, play it. If you're both... then there's no way you can't play this game and love it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's a bit repetitive. Not for everyone to be honest. If you're familiar with Dynasty Warriors and like it, then play it. If you're a Zelda fan that loves fanservice, play it. If you're both... then there's no way you can't play this game and love it.
I've played and like a few repetitive games before, and though I have only played a few Zelda games, I am sure I would not mind Hyrule Warriors.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule warriors is awesome. I recommend it as well. It's strange how a game so repetitive can be so good, but that could be all the love for zelda I have.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I had the idea that he was planned to be in the game but was cut at the last minute, because they didn't wanna reference him being in Brawl they had to make a new model, hence the fugly looking one he has now

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
This was probably already referred to, but the new Star Fox game should be an app time to release a Wolf DLC announcement.
Imagine:
Fox reaches the end of classic mode of some sort of single player mode to be met up with

http://www.********/images/cant-let-you-do-that/cant-let-you-do-that-star-fox.jpg

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
This was probably already referred to, but the new Star Fox game should be an app time to release a Wolf DLC announcement.
Imagine:
Fox reaches the end of classic mode of some sort of single player mode to be met up with

Well they're showing Star Fox Wii U footage at E3 and E3 is E3 so that'd definitely the best time. Same with Lucas, I really think this year will be the year we get mother 3

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Well they're showing Star Fox Wii U footage at E3 and E3 is E3 so that'd definitely the best time. Same with Lucas, I really think this year will be the year we get mother 3
Huh, I think you're onto something there. I hadn't thought that Mother 3 could happen this year too. Now I'm imagining an as of yet unannounced remake of Mother 3 for the 3DS coming out around the same time as Star Fox Wii U. Wouldn't that be convenient for a DLC bundle?

Hopefully the notion of a Mother 3 remake for 3DS doesn't get too many Earthbound fans in a tizzy.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Huh, I think you're onto something there. I hadn't thought that Mother 3 could happen this year too. Now I'm imagining an as of yet unannounced remake of Mother 3 for the 3DS coming out around the same time as Star Fox Wii U. Wouldn't that be convenient for a DLC bundle?

Hopefully the notion of a Mother 3 remake for 3DS doesn't get too many Earthbound fans in a tizzy.
Oh my ****ing god

Mother 3
Mother 3D

Mind blown

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's funny how the characters I support most come from series that I have never played. Because if this, I have very little to talk about, so I'm kinda waiting for someone to throw me a bone here. (Ug! I'm even nonchalantly making bad dog puns in a Wolf thread) I think Star Fox Wii U and Mother 3D should happen. Then I can play their games.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It's funny how the characters I support most come from series that I have never played. Because if this, I have very little to talk about, so I'm kinda waiting for someone to throw me a bone here. (Ug! I'm even nonchalantly making bad dog puns in a Wolf thread) I think Star Fox Wii U and Mother 3D should happen. Then I can play their games.
Wiki's my friend, wiki's

I've only ever played assault btw

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'll be honest, I would have preferred Krystal over Wolf in Brawl. Doesn't mean Wolf wasn't fun to play as, though.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Wiki's my friend, wiki's

I've only ever played assault btw
Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed. I've played them all. Only the original once though and never the second one that never came out. The others I've played multiple times. 64 was simple but really nailed it's simple formula. It's the standard and what some people expect these days, but I feel the move Assault made was in the right direction, it just didn't nail it as well. Was still a great game that I believe is something to develop the new Wii U game from and improve. Adventure wasn't intended to be a Star Fox game so it's a weird one to place. I think it's underrated though. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what people were used to or expected. I think it was a successful way to show how Star Fox could be played on-foot and what it did right should be implemented to make the on-foot part of an Assault like game deeper and better for the Wii U.

I'll be honest, I would have preferred Krystal over Wolf in Brawl. Doesn't mean Wolf wasn't fun to play as, though.
I wanted both, but knew I'd likely only get one or the other. Wolf became a solid second for me though and I hoped for Krystal in this game in addition. But then Wolf got cut and we were back at square one. I hope Wolf comes back, but I feel it may be a bit much to ask or hope for to believe that Krystal will be added too. Her best chance is if Star Fox Wii U reestablishes her as a integral part of the team. She's arguably the obvious choice to join the roster after Wolf as the fourth rep. She has a great opportunity to be unique. Heck, even Wolf was very unique relative to Falco even though he had less game canon to extract a moveset from.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For a new Star Fox game. I honestly don't know what to expect. Will it play anything like Kid Iccarus Uprising (Or be as amusing?) or was the land battle concept made just because of Pit's inability to fly? I tried watching a playthrough of a Star Fox game, but I got extremely bored cause the person who made the videos said nothing. Or if they did, the video was extremely bad quality.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
For a new Star Fox game. I honestly don't know what to expect. Will it play anything like Kid Iccarus Uprising (Or be as amusing?) or was the land battle concept made just because of Pit's inability to fly? I tried watching a playthrough of a Star Fox game, but I got extremely bored cause the person who made the videos said nothing. Or if they did, the video was extremely bad quality.
I think Kid Icarus is a good example. It shows content and good writing that really builds the characters. I think Star Fox Wii U can do everything that game did and more since it'll be on Wii U. There's no reason it shouldn't be big. Funnily enough, the story in KI:U isn't all that different from the story of Assault... Assault's just less amusing perhaps. KI:U was pretty great. All the same, KI:U and Assault are the kinds of games Wii U should be looking to for inspiration, including Adventures for clues as to handle the on-foot portion.

Not sure how motivated you are to try some Star Fox, but both Assault and Adventures are GameCube games so they can play just fine on the Wii, and 64 was of course rereleased in updated form on 3DS. I was just playing some Adventures recently, and it actually holds up quite well. Amazing how it doesn't even feel that long ago that I was first playing this game. The nostalgia is waaay too real.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think Kid Icarus is a good example. It shows content and good writing that really builds the characters. I think Star Fox Wii U can do everything that game did and more since it'll be on Wii U. There's no reason it shouldn't be big. Funnily enough, the story in KI:U isn't all that different from the story of Assault... Assault's just less amusing perhaps. KI:U was pretty great. All the same, KI:U and Assault are the kinds of games Wii U should be looking to for inspiration, including Adventures for clues as to handle the on-foot portion.

Not sure how motivated you are to try some Star Fox, but both Assault and Adventures are GameCube games so they can play just fine on the Wii, and 64 was of course rereleased in updated form on 3DS. I was just playing some Adventures recently, and it actually holds up quite well. Amazing how it doesn't even feel that long ago that I was first playing this game. The nostalgia is waaay too real.
I really hope they expand the characters a bit more, as they are right now Star Fox characters are kinda boring yet they can very easily be put into a comedic scenario. Fox could be the pit of the game, constantly joking around, not really taking things seriously, Krystal could be the palutena, giving guidance with a hint of sass. Falco could be cocky and jealous of fox, constantly wanting to be the centre of attention as well as putting down the others and judging them when they do something wrong. Wolf could be very sarcastic and snarky. Slippy could be slippy. Leon could be psycho etc etc

Also I want a female star wolf member to rival Krystal that would be ****** and sassy as ****

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I really hope they expand the characters a bit more, as they are right now Star Fox characters are kinda boring yet they can very easily be put into a comedic scenario. Fox could be the pit of the game, constantly joking around, not really taking things seriously, Krystal could be the palutena, giving guidance with a hint of sass. Falco could be cocky and jealous of fox, constantly wanting to be the centre of attention as well as putting down the others and judging them when they do something wrong. Wolf could be very sarcastic and snarky. Slippy could be slippy. Leon could be psycho etc etc

Also I want a female star wolf member to rival Krystal that would be *****y and sassy as ****
They already have quite a bit of established character to work with. I wouldn't want them to try too hard, heh. 64 did the best to establish their characters. Fox was the leader and relatively professional and serious. Falco was brash and cocky ace that liked teasing Slippy. Slippy was inept and silly, but a mechanical wiz. Peppy was the old vet with "sage wisdom". They all fulfilled a certain character trope so as to play off each other and balance the personalities of the team.

Play Adventures if you want to get a better feel for a fun Fox though. Assault and 64 made him fairly flat with some moments scattered around. His expressions and reactions were great in Adventures. Assault's campaign was fairly serious for the characters, but the multiplayer shows a hint at their more fun halves... except Fox, he's still mostly flat there. Just watch their idle animations. Falco grooms his "hair" with both "hands" for instance. Even just that behavior says something, lol. Their taunts as well and victory animations. Even though Adventures mostly features just Fox it also does well to develop the other characters the few times they are shown or interact. Krystal could use some more development though. Her appearance in Adventures mainly has her as headstrong and caring and eventually somewhat flirty with Fox. Although, I think she actually likes making Fox uncomfortable since she finds it amusing as much as actually liking him. Her appearance in Assault does a bit more to show her character. She kind of is the one that diffuses the arguing between Falco and Slippy so she's a peacekeeper. More than that I think the multiplayer gives us a better hint about how she's also fun though.

Smash also has some stuff that shows them being fun and more interesting. Listen to the back and forth in the cameo appearances at Orbital Gate Assault and Corneria on 3DS. There's character there waiting to be expressed. There's details about the characters that can be fleshed out. I wouldn't want them to try to develop them too much like Command. That approach to them felt like a mistake. Plus that game just wasn't that enjoyable. They should be ragtag team of mercenaries that's not too serious but each is unique and brings something special to the team. That's pretty much how they are now, just not as developed and expressed as they could be. I think if more than just Fox is playable in the main part of Star Fox Wii U, we could have a chance at some unique dialogue and gameplay, especially if there's an emphasis on improved on-foot missions.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think I'd be more inclined to enjoy the new Star Fox game if the characters were as fleshed-out as suggested. They definitely have a good scaffolding to build on in terms of personalities, and I had a lot of fun playing Lylat Wars as a wee sort. :3

Top Bottom