• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

mark welford

Smash Ace
So what would y'all's reaction would be if Wolf does get confirmed as DLC around the time Star Fox Wii U comes out?
Judging by the way I cried when I saw the full roster, I would probably celebrate like my favorite NFL team (Steelers) won the SuperBowl which they currently are in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Just felt like I should share this here. It's from the Melee intro, and it doesn't look like Wolf at all. This is probably the worst Wolf render I've ever seen. I can understand why though as it's literally a retextured Fox made for a few seconds of an opening cutscene.
The more I see stuff like this, the more I feel like Melee or the GameCube was a rushed era for Nintendo. Star Fox Adventures was some other game before hastily being Star Fox'd along with removing a lot of features, there are leftovers of Ganondorf using his sword in Melee, and the early model of Wolf is just a palette swap with little distinction from Fox that ironically, Star Fox 2 and 64 had better distinction despite being a concept and an older game only using a portrait for Wolf. It wasn't until late in the GC's life that games lacked glaring beta elements.

Wolf would look too similar to Fox my ***. Of course he'd look too similar if you copy and paste Fox's model. Make him taller, give him more muscle, make his sleeves, boots, tail, and facial structure different. I wouldn't mind if Melee had 2 Fox clones if they looked and functioned differently.

I thought he had an eye patch?
It's probably a separate object like how this model lacks Fox's headset or how modders haven't been able to get Kaz's sunglasses to work with the model swap in Ground Zeroes.

KCJ506

Smash Cadet
Wolf is pretty much the only cut vet I want back and the only one whom I think even has a realistic chance.(in regards to ones that haven't been announced)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well judging by character time it will take Mewtwo 5 months depending on the work procedure.
s stated last month he started working on Mewtwo and when I got my notification back regarding Mewtwo and the CD it said the codes for Mewtwo should arrive near the end of March. If my assumptions are correct they will either promote more after their New Year direct when ever that shall be of course, or during E3 which will probably be the Latter.
now people can say al they want that these sort of characters would generate hype

But that statement can be proven wrong.
I agree with your point. You can see this with people's reaction to Mewtwo.

On the two characters you mentioned: Rayman isn't as popular as Smashboards wants to think he is. A lot of people don't like the idea of Rayman because he really doesn't have anything to do with Nintendo. The biggest games with Nintendo were also on other platforms. Heck, the Wii U version of Origins: Legends released after it was on other systems. When it comes to third parties, there is a line of what people will tolerate. I think any additional character will cross it as they don't have much to do with Nintendo. K. Rool's problem is he's been all but forgotten from the games. We had two successful DK games without K Rool or the Kremlings. It seems Nintendo is fine with phasing him out. The problem with Smash Brothers games is you need to pick characters people will at least know. Most of the new characters have been in games since Brawl, with the exception of Duck Hunt though Sakurai has said worldwide sales was a reason for their inclusion.

Wolf's advantage is he's a main stay character in the series and will more than likely be in the next game (as he's been in every game save the original and adventure). Plus Japan likes him, which was the reason he was included in Brawl. From Sakurai's interview, it seems as if they had a lot of trouble during development, so cuts were a necessity. Wolf is an odd cut, but it's hard when you have to chose someone. I expect he'll be back if Sakurai decides to do more DLC.

(PS I know expect Rayman fans to flood this thread because I dared to bring up the notion he may not be the best thing since sliced bread).

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633

Just felt like I should share this here. It's from the Melee intro, and it doesn't look like Wolf at all. This is probably the worst Wolf render I've ever seen. I can understand why though as it's literally a retextured Fox made for a few seconds of an opening cutscene.
:crazy:OK WAT.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Well, Wolf is sort of already in the game. Falco has a bunch of moves that are very similar to Wolf's ( namely his new bair ), Fox has a skin that looks very similar to Wolf, and Fox's custom moves are like Wolf's special moves so Sakurai kinda dissolved Wolf into Fox and Falco.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well, Wolf is sort of already in the game. Falco has a bunch of moves that are very similar to Wolf's ( namely his new bair ), Fox has a skin that looks very similar to Wolf, and Fox's custom moves are like Wolf's special moves so Sakurai kinda dissolved Wolf into Fox and Falco.
It's not the same, like at all, his theme is in the game 3 times for god sake and star fox is getting a new game. He deserves better than this

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
And you can't use custom moves online against anyone

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Falco's moves are mostly the same ones from Brawl. Wolf had a back kick too (as does Fox), but it works differently.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
You know I can speak to this.
I main all 5 of these in order.
:4ness::4falco::4fox:
I can safely say that Lucas is nothing like Ness in terms of special and regular attacks.
Wolf is nothing like Fox or Falco in that same regard.
The closest comparison is Fox and Falco who vary in different abilities
The custom moves argument can be thrown out the window. Considering I can make a custom falco with near identical speed to fox and basically make a custom fox from Falco plus the fact they are rendered useless if someone (like me) only plays online with anyone.
The argument you gave here is like me saying, Oh yeah Mario and Luigi share a moves that are similar so if they removed Luigi I'd be fine with that. Not to mention this guy:4drmario:
Many characters share similar moves but that doesn't matter when its all about execution. (i.e)
:4fox::4falco:

:4ness:

:4mario::4luigi::4drmario:
:4marth:
:4lucina:
:4pit::4darkpit:
:4link::4tlink:
:4falcon::4ganondorf:
And again do I need to mention every single counter in this game alone.
:4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4mii::4palutena::4peach::4shulk:
Or reflection moves?:4darkpit::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4mario::4palutena::4ness::4pit::rosalina:
Wolf is the main antagonist of star fox and Lucas us another rep from the Mother trilogy
Now I don't hate the fire emblem series or the Kid Icaurus series
(I mean I love all these characters :4myfriends:
:4robinm::4darkpit::4palutena::4pit:)
But come on now, Star fox and mother weren't on the scale of over represented like Mario or Pokémon they had just the right amount in Melee and Brawl compared to these franchises.
Melee::foxmelee::falcomelee:,:nessmelee:,:marthmelee::roymelee:
Brawl::fox::falco::wolf:,:ness2::lucas:,:marth::ike:,:pit:
But then Smash 4 came along and destroyed that,
:4fox::4falco:,:4ness:,:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina:,:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
I mean why the hell did they revert the two franchises from the very first smash back to the number they had in Melee.
Personally I think this should be how they are repped.
,:4ness:
,:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina:,:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
See if Wolf and Lucas had returned I don't think people would have lost their minds over the inclusion of both :4lucina: and :4darkpit:
Because to be honest they shouldn't have been removed there is no reasons to clarify these two cuts.
Back in Melee the only one that didn't have a reason was Mewtwo.
The others were clones and all got cut for that reason.
But they all got one character to rep their series from that game onward.
:roymelee:::ike:
:pichumelee:::lucario::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:
:younglinkmelee:::toonlink:
:drmario::I would say Wario but he's now back so it doesn't matter....

In Brawl we have reasons for 4/6
:popo:Cut because of the 3ds technical limitations....... New 3ds give them hope :'(
:squirtle::ivysaur:After Charizard came back without them it was no game for these two....
But still got these two to make up for the loss:mewtwopm::4greninja:
:snake:No reason but this is what we can't expect with third parties. At least two new reps were brought in.:4megaman::4pacman:
:lucas:No Reason, No replacement.
:wolf:Same as Lucas.
These two got no new reps for being cut (not going to mention the fact they are from a series being repped in every single Smash) They also don't have a reason unless it was due to time constrains which I can understand as DLC can fix that
Because If it was like Melee these two have been mistreated extremely badly. :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina:
I think these two are next in Line and I hope they aren't long away now that we have struck 2015.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Jeez guys, I'm not arguing anything and I get 7 replies! Look, as much as I like Star Fox and Mother/Earthbound, Wolf and Lucas aren't coming back. Sakurai stated that DLC no more DLC after Mewtwo which is sad and a big waste, but that's Sakurai logic for you. Lucas was cut because they didn't even release the game in the states even though it's a great game. Earthbound's release on the Wii U Nintendo eShop made Sakurai focus more on that game and that's why we have Magicant. Wolf was cut because his moves were just dissolved into Fox and Falco. The very fact that Falco gets a new Wolf style dair and bair and Fox gets Wolf style customs means that Sakurai wanted the character in some way but decided it would be easier to do that instead. Custom moves are practically designed to kill off semi clones. Ice Climbers isn't coming back because of Eight Player Smash and the 3DS. If they were in, they'd have limitations which no other character has like not being legal for wifi teams on the 3DS and not legal for wifi Eight Player Smash on Wii U. It is a shame and I know these characters are unique, but let's face it. Maybe I'm wrong and Ice Climbers works, but that's the only character getting in. Plus, Wolf and Lucas are badass in Project M at the very least. We'll probably get Lucas or Wolf over Dark Pit in the near future thanks to the ninjhax exploit for the 3DS anyway so :) Actually Dark Pit is the perfect template for any character now that I think about it.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Happy Year of the Starfox. I'm back from vacation.
Jeez guys, I'm not arguing anything and I get 7 replies! Look, as much as I like Star Fox and Mother/Earthbound, Wolf and Lucas aren't coming back. Sakurai stated that DLC no more DLC after Mewtwo which is sad and a big waste, but that's Sakurai logic for you. Lucas was cut because they didn't even release the game in the states even though it's a great game. Earthbound's release on the Wii U Nintendo eShop made Sakurai focus more on that game and that's why we have Magicant. Wolf was cut because his moves were just dissolved into Fox and Falco. The very fact that Falco gets a new Wolf style dair and bair and Fox gets Wolf style customs means that Sakurai wanted the character in some way but decided it would be easier to do that instead. Custom moves are practically designed to kill off semi clones. Ice Climbers isn't coming back because of Eight Player Smash and the 3DS. If they were in, they'd have limitations which no other character has like not being legal for wifi teams on the 3DS and not legal for wifi Eight Player Smash on Wii U. It is a shame and I know these characters are unique, but let's face it. Maybe I'm wrong and Ice Climbers works, but that's the only character getting in. Plus, Wolf and Lucas are badass in Project M at the very least. We'll probably get Lucas or Wolf over Dark Pit in the near future thanks to the ninjhax exploit for the 3DS anyway so :) Actually Dark Pit is the perfect template for any character now that I think about it.
You can't use custom moves in online with anyone so no Wolf flash online, until Wolf is playable, Also Wario now has Mario's up smash and back throw, Mario and Luigi are still here. Plus
You know I can speak to this.
I main all 5 of these in order.
:4ness::4falco::4fox:
I can safely say that Lucas is nothing like Ness in terms of special and regular attacks.
Wolf is nothing like Fox or Falco in that same regard.
The closest comparison is Fox and Falco who vary in different abilities
The custom moves argument can be thrown out the window. Considering I can make a custom falco with near identical speed to fox and basically make a custom fox from Falco plus the fact they are rendered useless if someone (like me) only plays online with anyone.
The argument you gave here is like me saying, Oh yeah Mario and Luigi share a moves that are similar so if they removed Luigi I'd be fine with that. Not to mention this guy:4drmario:
Many characters share similar moves but that doesn't matter when its all about execution. (i.e)

:4ness:

:4mario::4luigi::4drmario:
:4marth:
:4lucina:
:4pit::4darkpit:
:4link::4tlink:
:4falcon::4ganondorf:
And again do I need to mention every single counter in this game alone.
:4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4mii::4palutena::4peach::4shulk:
Or reflection moves?:4darkpit::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4mario::4palutena::4ness::4pit::rosalina:
Wolf is the main antagonist of star fox and Lucas us another rep from the Mother trilogy
Now I don't hate the fire emblem series or the Kid Icaurus series
(I mean I love all these characters :4myfriends:
:4robinm::4darkpit::4palutena::4pit:)
But come on now, Star fox and mother weren't on the scale of over represented like Mario or Pokémon they had just the right amount in Melee and Brawl compared to these franchises.
Melee::foxmelee::falcomelee:,:nessmelee:,:marthmelee::roymelee:
Brawl::fox::falco::wolf:,:ness2::lucas:,:marth::ike:,:pit:
But then Smash 4 came along and destroyed that,
:4fox::4falco:,:4ness:,:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina:,:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
I mean why the hell did they revert the two franchises from the very first smash back to the number they had in Melee.
Personally I think this should be how they are repped.
,:4ness:
,:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina:,:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
See if Wolf and Lucas had returned I don't think people would have lost their minds over the inclusion of both :4lucina: and :4darkpit:
Because to be honest they shouldn't have been removed there is no reasons to clarify these two cuts.
Back in Melee the only one that didn't have a reason was Mewtwo.
The others were clones and all got cut for that reason.
But they all got one character to rep their series from that game onward.
:roymelee:::ike:
:pichumelee:::lucario::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:
:younglinkmelee:::toonlink:
:drmario::I would say Wario but he's now back so it doesn't matter....

In Brawl we have reasons for 4/6
:popo:Cut because of the 3ds technical limitations....... New 3ds give them hope :'(
:squirtle::ivysaur:After Charizard came back without them it was no game for these two....
But still got these two to make up for the loss:mewtwopm::4greninja:
:snake:No reason but this is what we can't expect with third parties. At least two new reps were brought in.:4megaman::4pacman:
:lucas:No Reason, No replacement.
:wolf:Same as Lucas.
These two got no new reps for being cut (not going to mention the fact they are from a series being repped in every single Smash) They also don't have a reason unless it was due to time constrains which I can understand as DLC can fix that
Because If it was like Melee these two have been mistreated extremely badly. :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina:
I think these two are next in Line and I hope they aren't long away now that we have struck 2015.
well said.:)
Sakurai was just interviewed on the characters, lets dissect the articles and see if there's any thing about Wolf and the others in it.
WOLF FOR DLC:wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace

Loool, lmfao!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Jeez guys, I'm not arguing anything and I get 7 replies! Look, as much as I like Star Fox and Mother/Earthbound, Wolf and Lucas aren't coming back. Sakurai stated that DLC no more DLC after Mewtwo which is sad and a big waste, but that's Sakurai logic for you.
Umm no he didn't.

He said he has no intentions of working on character DLC right now, but he's willing to consider the possibility after Mewtwo is released. That's all he said, and unless I'm missing a huge revelation over here, that's that.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Happy Year of the Starfox. I'm back from vacation.

You can't use custom moves in online with anyone so no Wolf flash online, until Wolf is playable, Also Wario now has Mario's up smash and back throw, Mario and Luigi are still here. Plus

well said.:)
Sakurai was just interviewed on the characters, lets dissect the articles and see if there's any thing about Wolf and the others in it.
WOLF FOR DLC:wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Year of Star Fox? Thanks, I guess.

That wasn't the point.

You are kidding, right? I thought his post was a giant hunk of nonsense.
Umm no he didn't.

He said he has no intentions of working on character DLC right now, but he's willing to consider the possibility after Mewtwo is released. That's all he said, and unless I'm missing a huge revelation over here, that's that.
I know that. But if DLC does become a thing, my money is on Dixie Kong, Ice Climbers( new 3ds has better specs; amiibo functionality exclusive to new 3ds proves Sakurai can have Ice Climbers exclusive to new 3ds ) , and someone else who isn't Wolf. I mean I just feel like there is more deserving and more unique characters out there like Issac.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I know that. But if DLC does become a thing, my money is on Dixie Kong, Ice Climbers( new 3ds has better specs; amiibo functionality exclusive to new 3ds proves Sakurai can have Ice Climbers exclusive to new 3ds ) , and someone else who isn't Wolf. I mean I just feel like there is more deserving and more unique characters out there like Issac.
My money's on Reggie Fils-Aime and Gold Pink Pit. We can speculate all day, doesn't mean it's gospel truth.

I don't doubt that there are plenty of characters out there who are potential candidates for future character DLC, but as it stands, there is literally nothing to go on right now. Saying "it'll be everybody except Wolf" is just bias. None of us have any indication whatsoever that there is any way of predicting what characters will be chosen and why. Sakurai's proven time and time again that he can't be predicted or second-guessed, so saying Wolf is objectively unlikely is a fallacious statement. He is exactly as likely and as unlikely as everybody else, since we have no idea where we're going at this point in time, and it's better to just support him and hope for the best than pretend he absolutely, certifiably is or is not going to happen.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Umm no he didn't.

More specifically, he said he's only working on Mewtwo, and that the team has only just started in it.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
As of right now. The door is still open, as far as anybody knows.
We have no clue what else they could possibly be doing. To many it doesn't make sense just to have all those people working on just Mewtwo, Miiverse stage, and Tourney mode. Plus with how Wolf's exclusion was handled,(that awful codec model) Wolf is kind of the one character that must be added, they could even add him in a patch, patches are meant to fix the game, adding Wolf back in would fix the game alot. Sakurai said he wouldn't do anymore patches...UNLESS there is a major game breaking bug still in the game, and apparently there is http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/0...ers-bounce-up-so-high-they-cannot-be-touched/
So far ROB is the only one who can stop this exploit,but other characters would be at a disadvantage.http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/04/heres-how-to-beat-the-pac-man-exploit-in-super-smash-bros/
Looks like there's gonna be a 1.0.5 update and why not slip in Wolf as a secret surprise.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
We have no clue what else they could possibly be doing. To many it doesn't make sense just to have all those people working on just Mewtwo, Miiverse stage, and Tourney mode. Plus with how Wolf's exclusion was handled,(that awful codec model) Wolf is kind of the one character that must be added, they could even add him in a patch, patches are meant to fix the game, adding Wolf back in would fix the game alot. Sakurai said he wouldn't do anymore patches...UNLESS there is a major game breaking bug still in the game, and apparently there is http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/0...ers-bounce-up-so-high-they-cannot-be-touched/
So far ROB is the only one who can stop this exploit,but other characters would be at a disadvantage.http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/04/heres-how-to-beat-the-pac-man-exploit-in-super-smash-bros/
Looks like there's gonna be a 1.0.5 update and why not slip in Wolf as a secret surprise.
Well that's also subjective. Saying Wolf is objectively the only character that they need to add is pretty biased and doesn't take into account every other character that could fit that bill.

It's not that Wolf would fix the game, per se, because it's not like the game is mechanically broken without him in it. If they were going to include him as DLC and somehow the data was gimped, then they could theoretically release a patch to put him in, as that would be fixing an actual error in the game.

They would have to make Wolf anyway and it's not likely that they'd include him as a surprise guest "just because". That would please some fans, but it would also incense a lot of other fans who would be wondering, "Well, why didn't my character get in, too?"

You have to look at this from a developer's perspective. Adding Wolf in "just because" wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. It would be giving away a character for free for no apparent reason and tick off a lot of people who feel like that character got in for, well, no apparent reason. It sets an unfair standard that exploits the fanbase's desires for a quick profit at the extent of alienating others'.

Now you could argue the same thing about Mewtwo and ask, "Well why's he the only DLC character that's planned over everybody else?" And the reason for that is, well, he's evidently just that popular and that iconic.

Do those sound like flimsy and arbitrary reasons? Well, they are, technically. But we know Mewtwo got into the game because he's incredibly popular and likely to sell well. There's also a difference between releasing a character as DLC (which conventionally and by its very name is optional and generally comes at a marked price) and patching them into the game off the cuff. The former creates an incentive for developers to make content that will sell and offer recompense for their time and effort that they've put into making said content, and it grants players the option of purchasing said content if they so choose, while choosing to ignore it if they'd rather not go out and pay for it; the latter creates a sense that some characters are arbitrarily deemed to be "special cases" and can get in after the base game's release just because they're special snowflakes and it's okay for them to do that. With the advent of character DLC, it also creates a corrosive double standard, whereby some characters are only available if you purchase them online and others are free because they just are. It doesn't make any sense to do something like that.

I get that we all want Wolf back, and I empathise with that, I really, really do. But grasping at straws and clinging to any scraps of potential merits for them to appear is only going to drive us insane. We know character DLC is still on the cards, and if it continues onwards, Wolf is arguably in one of the strongest positions possible to be first in line for a future character pack. Just be patient, keep it cool, wait it out a bit longer and calm down a bit. We'll get there eventually. I'm sure we will.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Well that's also subjective. Saying Wolf is objectively the only character that they need to add is pretty biased and doesn't take into account every other character that could fit that bill.

It's not that Wolf would fix the game, per se, because it's not like the game is mechanically broken without him in it. If they were going to include him as DLC and somehow the data was gimped, then they could theoretically release a patch to put him in, as that would be fixing an actual error in the game.

They would have to make Wolf anyway and it's not likely that they'd include him as a surprise guest "just because". That would please some fans, but it would also incense a lot of other fans who would be wondering, "Well, why didn't my character get in, too?"

You have to look at this from a developer's perspective. Adding Wolf in "just because" wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. It would be giving away a character for free for no apparent reason and tick off a lot of people who feel like that character got in for, well, no apparent reason. It sets an unfair standard that exploits the fanbase's desires for a quick profit at the extent of alienating others'.

Now you could argue the same thing about Mewtwo and ask, "Well why's he the only DLC character that's planned over everybody else?" And the reason for that is, well, he's evidently just that popular and that iconic.

Do those sound like flimsy and arbitrary reasons? Well, they are, technically. But we know Mewtwo got into the game because he's incredibly popular and likely to sell well. There's also a difference between releasing a character as DLC (which conventionally and by its very name is optional and generally comes at a marked price) and patching them into the game off the cuff. The former creates an incentive for developers to make content that will sell and offer recompense for their time and effort that they've put into making said content, and it grants players the option of purchasing said content if they so choose, while choosing to ignore it if they'd rather not go out and pay for it; the latter creates a sense that some characters are arbitrarily deemed to be "special cases" and can get in after the base game's release just because they're special snowflakes and it's okay for them to do that. With the advent of character DLC, it also creates a corrosive double standard, whereby some characters are only available if you purchase them online and others are free because they just are. It doesn't make any sense to do something like that.

I get that we all want Wolf back, and I empathise with that, I really, really do. But grasping at straws and clinging to any scraps of potential merits for them to appear is only going to drive us insane. We know character DLC is still on the cards, and if it continues onwards, Wolf is arguably in one of the strongest positions possible to be first in line for a future character pack. Just be patient, keep it cool, wait it out a bit longer and calm down a bit. We'll get there eventually. I'm sure we will.
The wait... is hard. Plus Smash isn't as appealing without all my mains, not to mention how boring and random smash tour is. Whenever Sakurai is interviewed, he just says more stuff that gets people aggravated, why are more people aggravated? because more characters were cut, so more fans were alienated. Plus the Wolf exclusion just feels a bit more painful than the others, because its sort of like Mewtwo's, but with his theme in the game 3 times and the codec with the awful model. Not to mention some claim Wolf is Sakurai's favorite Starfox character. Anyway on a more positive note, I think we'll get a Nintendo Direct this month along with some Star Fox U footage.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The wait... is hard. Plus Smash isn't as appealing without all my mains, not to mention how boring and random smash tour is. Whenever Sakurai is interviewed, he just says more stuff that gets people aggravated, why are more people aggravated? because more characters were cut, so more fans were alienated. Plus the Wolf exclusion just feels a bit more painful than the others, because its sort of like Mewtwo's, but with his theme in the game 3 times and the codec with the awful model. Not to mention some claim Wolf is Sakurai's favorite Starfox character. Anyway on a more positive note, I think we'll get a Nintendo Direct this month along with some Star Fox U footage.
I know, and again, I empathise. Wolf is my favourite Star Fox character too (well aside from ROB 64 but yeah you get what I mean) and one of my Brawl mains. But we have to wait a bit longer. Just think about how good it'll feel if and when he does come back, yeah? :3

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero

I still say if we are getting veterans after Mewtwo it's coming in pairs.
Mewtwo was on his own granted but we get a snazzy Smash cd to go with him.
This is how I see it.
:mewtwopm:,CD
:lucas::wolf:
:squirtle::ivysaur:
:roypm::popo:
:younglinkmelee::pichumelee:
An who knows....:snake:
But hey I am honestly just throwing that out there.
And I mean I would rather veterans over newcomers any day.
Because these characters are loved and should never have been cut for any other reasons except time constraints.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
The more I see stuff like this, the more I feel like Melee or the GameCube was a rushed era for Nintendo. Star Fox Adventures was some other game before hastily being Star Fox'd along with removing a lot of features, there are leftovers of Ganondorf using his sword in Melee, and the early model of Wolf is just a palette swap with little distinction from Fox that ironically, Star Fox 2 and 64 had better distinction despite being a concept and an older game only using a portrait for Wolf. It wasn't until late in the GC's life that games lacked glaring beta elements.

Wolf would look too similar to Fox my ***. Of course he'd look too similar if you copy and paste Fox's model. Make him taller, give him more muscle, make his sleeves, boots, tail, and facial structure different. I wouldn't mind if Melee had 2 Fox clones if they looked and functioned differently.

It's probably a separate object like how this model lacks Fox's headset or how modders haven't been able to get Kaz's sunglasses to work with the model swap in Ground Zeroes.
You forgot Sunshine. :troll:

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I still say if we are getting veterans after Mewtwo it's coming in pairs.
Mewtwo was on his own granted but we get a snazzy Smash cd to go with him.
This is how I see it.
:mewtwopm:,CD
:lucas::wolf:
:squirtle::ivysaur:
:roypm::popo:
:younglinkmelee::pichumelee:
An who knows....:snake:
But hey I am honestly just throwing that out there.
And I mean I would rather veterans over newcomers any day.
Because these characters are loved and should never have been cut for any other reasons except time constraints.
While it would be great to have all those characters back, toon link is basically the same as young link, and I don't think anyone wants pichu back hahaha

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I know, and again, I empathise. Wolf is my favourite Star Fox character too (well aside from ROB 64 but yeah you get what I mean) and one of my Brawl mains. But we have to wait a bit longer. Just think about how good it'll feel if and when he does come back, yeah? :3
If only we still had Pic of the day, the wait would be much more enjoyable. Wolf Wriday would be a thing then. I still think just maybe, Sakurai could be finishing up Wolf.
Here's how All star mode would look when Wolf comes back.
:4gaw::4pacman::4mario::4dk::4luigi::4littlemac:
:4rob::4duckhunt::4peach::4bowser::4link::4zelda::4samus:
:4pit::4palutena::4megaman::4marth::4yoshi::4drmario::4falcon:
:4sonic::4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4falco::4wario::4metaknight:
:4ness::4diddy::4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::mewtwopm::wolf::4sheik::4ganondorf:
:4villager::4olimar::4bowserjr::4zss::4tlink::4myfriends::4lucario:
:rosalina::4shulk::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4greninja:

and with other characters.

:4gaw::4pacman::4mario::4dk::4luigi::4littlemac:
:4rob::4duckhunt::popo::4peach::4bowser::4link::4zelda::4samus:
:4pit::4palutena::4megaman::4marth::4yoshi::4drmario::4falcon:
:4sonic::4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4falco::4wario::4metaknight:
:4ness::4diddy::4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::mewtwopm::wolf::4sheik::4ganondorf:
:4villager::4olimar::4bowserjr::4zss::4tlink::4myfriends::4lucario::lucas:
:rosalina::4shulk::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4greninja:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If you read Sakurai's latest interview to Nintendo Dream (a Japanese magazine), you'll know time constraints were the reason for cut characters.

The game was planned to have more characters than it currently has. Sakurai said he couldn't reveal who was cut, though he did say the Ice Climbers were scrapped in another, older interview.

Also, he stated that "each and every character has fans" and is well aware that people look forward for Smash mainly for the characters. This hints to me that Sakurai intended to have all characters return, but issues arose and stopped that from happening.

Sakurai stated once more that Dr. Mario was originally planned as a model swap (using Alph and Wireframe Mac as examples) and was separated at the end of development. He stated that reducing a previously playable character to an alt would be a disservice for the fans and wanted him distinct just like in Melee. He detailed on how they tested and balancing him, which involved doing 1-on-1 matches vs. regular Mario and using the built-in system of character customization to change values. Lastly, he stated that the same was done with Lucina and Dark Pit.

Important to mention is how the planned roster dates back to May 2012, shortly after Kid Icarus: Uprising's release and at the very beginning of Smash 4's development. He said that characters were cut during development process, with characters unlikely to appear in future games given lower priority.

Sakurai also stated that Bowser Jr. was close to being scrapped. He probably would have been the next in line to be scrapped if another character were to be cut.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
If you read Sakurai's latest interview to Nintendo Dream (a Japanese magazine), you'll know time constraints were the reason for cut characters.

The game was planned to have more characters than it currently has. Sakurai said he couldn't reveal who was cut, though he did say the Ice Climbers were scrapped in another, older interview.

Also, he stated that "each and every character has fans" and is well aware that people look forward for Smash mainly for the characters. This hints to me that Sakurai intended to have all characters return, but issues arose and stopped that from happening.

Sakurai stated once more that Dr. Mario was originally planned as a model swap (using Alph and Wireframe Mac as examples) and was separated at the end of development. He stated that reducing a previously playable character to an alt would be a disservice for the fans and wanted him distinct just like in Melee. He detailed on how they tested and balancing him, which involved doing 1-on-1 matches vs. regular Mario and using the built-in system of character customization to change values. Lastly, he stated that the same was done with Lucina and Dark Pit.

Important to mention is how the planned roster dates back to May 2012, shortly after Kid Icarus: Uprising's release and at the very beginning of Smash 4's development. He said that characters were cut during development process, with characters unlikely to appear in future games given lower priority.

Sakurai also stated that Bowser Jr. was close to being scrapped. He probably would have been the next in line to be scrapped if another character were to be cut.
I do hope this means they shall bring characters cut back being Lucas and Wolf.
And whatever other newcomers got cut.......
Also I am very glad about what he said about Dr Mario :4mario::4drmario:
It got me so angry when people wanted Lucas to be an alt.:lucas::ness2:
Glad to see Sakurai thinks the same way. :')

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
While Sakurai did state that Mewtwo is the only DLC planned at the moment, and wants to make the game seem complete as it is (because, in actuality, it is) I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo's success as DLC would lead to more, and it would be a particularly excellent oppurtunity to release Wolf DLC to promote Star Fox for Wii U.
If Sakurai does see DLC as a positive for Smash Bros., I in no way doubt that Wolf will be one of the characters released as DLC.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's really Nintendo's say at the end of the say.

If Ninty want DLC, DLC will happen, even if Bamco have to do it themselves.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

I missed the part on the cut characters thanks! So I think more DLC is likely. Its just when will they announce it, and could they possibly be working on more characters now. Remember Sakurai said they didn't have plans for more DLC at the moment way back in November 2014, now its January 2015.

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
Bring wolf back, BRING HIM BACK, i mained him in brawl besides toon link but JESUS, i loved him UNTILLLLLLLLLLLL....

TheVillainous

Banned via Warnings
Wolf has to be in. Over Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, and even the Ice Climbers he should be in. He is the coolest looking out of all cut characters and is second to Mewtwo in terms of cut character demand. With a new Star Fox Game coming he is sure to be suitable for an epic comeback.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

It's not from the into. It's a fake someone made.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Wolf has to be in. Over Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, and even the Ice Climbers he should be in. He is the coolest looking out of all cut characters and is second to Mewtwo in terms of cut character demand. With a new Star Fox Game coming he is sure to be suitable for an epic comeback.
These words ring true. He is indeed the coolest looking of them all. If he was cut due to time then he should at least be halfway done, so it wouldn't be as much work for the dev team.
Bring wolf back, BRING HIM BACK, i mained him in brawl besides toon link but JESUS, i loved him UNTILLLLLLLLLLLL....
BRING HIM BACK! Its a new year (Year of the Starfox) so announce a new DLC character, WOLF. Sakurai may have decided to do more DLC now. We must wait for a new Nintendo direct. It better hurry and/or Sakurai better announce more DLC before the hackers possibly find cut characters, they've already found a 4th set of custom moves for each character. And if Sakurai wants to avoid the rage if hackers find an almost complete Wolf in the data, he'll announce Wolf as DLC, that way he can still surprise some people and avoid the rage. Plus if everyone on the dev team, including Sakurai, supposedly really like Wolf, I don't think they'd mind putting him in the game, that way when the go on vacation, they can play as their favorite Starfox character/bad*** mercenary. :wolf:

Top Bottom