• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

Morbi

Scavenger
I think it's fairly safe to say Wolf and Lucas' chances are looking pretty good right now, seriously FE getting 4 reps and mother 1? That's just wrong and Fox having a wolf colour while wolf is cut is just a mean and unfair thing for sakurai to do.

R.I.P Ice Climbers and Snake though
I certainly agree that Wolf is still one of the most feasible candidates; however, your reasoning is entirely subjective. It is not necessarily wrong, mean or unfair for Sakurai to relegate Wolf to a costume and the Mother to Fire Emblem representation ratio is not relevant.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I certainly agree that Wolf is still one of the most feasible candidates; however, your reasoning is entirely subjective. It is not necessarily wrong, mean or unfair for Sakurai to relegate Wolf to a costume and the Mother to Fire Emblem representation ratio is not relevant.
It kinda is wrong, it isn't like sakurai to piss off fans. It'd be like if in brawl lucario had a mewtwo colour or if Ike had a roy colour, It's just not gonna go down well and I doubt sakurai would do that. If a character is getting cut, I really think they should be a trophy and nothing more, like mewtwo in brawl.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It kinda is wrong, it isn't like sakurai to piss off fans. It'd be like if in brawl lucario had a mewtwo colour or if Ike had a roy colour, It's just not gonna go down well and I doubt sakurai would do that. If a character is getting cut, I really think they should be a trophy and nothing more, like mewtwo in brawl.
Let the fallen rest in peace. A trophy for an epitaph. Don't desecrate their name and memory with a s***** alt costume, or worse, palette swap.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm going to say that there is 0 chance of a formerly playable character being relegated to an alternate costume.

Dr Mario didn't, so there's no reason why Wolf, Lucas or any other character will.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm going to say that there is 0 chance of a formerly playable character being relegated to an alternate costume.

Dr Mario didn't, so there's no reason why Wolf, Lucas or any other character will.
Again, I agree. But there is no factual basis to support this notion. At best, we can cite precedent, as you did. However, I believe that that is also a logical fallacy, essentially assuming that something that never happened will never happen is illogical.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Again, I agree. But there is no factual basis to support this notion. At best, we can cite precedent, as you did. However, I believe that that is also a logical fallacy, essentially assuming that something that never happened will never happen is illogical.
I agree. There's a first time for everything. But knowing how Sakurai feels about cutting characters (not to mention that he's personally big fans of Lucas and Wolf and wanted them in Melee), it seems extremely unlikely.

We've also got the fact that he said that any character who has even slight gameplay differences will get their own slots. Wolf and Lucas HAVE gameplay differences.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Well a recent gamexplain video said they don't think wolf is out yet even with the alt. Didn't they go to the PAX thing, where it was rumored the final build would be seen? So they got some info? Maybe it doesn't mean much anyway, just thought it was interesting.
only andre and other i for got last guys name went to pax

mark welford

Smash Ace
1. Fox alt isn't Wolf. Just a grey Fox.
2. If Wolf was cut, why wouldn't they at least make the Fox alt look just like Wolf, especially with the koopalings and Alph being a thing?
3. The screenshot isn't the game's final build.
4. Mario/Pit are proof that having a palette swap resemble a character doesn't equate to a loss of the character's playable chances.
5. Dark Pit no longer being a Pit costume makes sense since Dark Pit is literally just a black Pit. They would be indistinguishable. Same with other characters like Blood Falcon and Dark Link. Wolf does not have this problem.
6. If anything, this alt may be HINTING to Wolf's presence as a hidden character. It could simply be a teaser.
7. As others have said, Wolf could very well get a "Fox" palette swap as well. They're rivals. Referencing each other, like Mario and Wario's alts that resemble one another, makes sense.
8. Fox needed a couple of new costumes to fulfill the 8-per-character feature. Add a grey wolf-like one. One more costume to go.
9. Falco in, but Wolf out? Dark Pit and Doc in, but no Wolf? PLEASE.
10. Unique movesets that aren't especially resource intensive (like Shulk, Rosalina etc.) should never be cut anyway unless there's a licensing problems (Snake), an abolished feature (PT) or is an extra from a dead, relatively unknown/unplayed and overshadowered series (Lucas). Wolf is safe from all of these.
11. I like Falco and mained him in Melee. But having just him and Fox seems...wrong. They need some antithesis.
12. 4 days remain. Hope lives on.
13. 5 slots (potentially) remain. HOPE LIVES ON.
14. "PLAYTIME'S OVER STARFOX. I CAN'T LET YOU WEAR THAT! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!"
15. ???????
16. WOLF PROFIT
very good point outs if I do say so myself!

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I think it's fairly safe to say Wolf and Lucas' chances are looking pretty good right now, seriously FE getting 4 reps and mother 1? That's just wrong and Fox having a wolf colour while wolf is cut is just a mean and unfair thing for sakurai to do.

R.I.P Ice Climbers and Snake though
While it will be hard to get around losing the ice climbers (I have to come clean those little rascals are cheap in multi man Brawl XD ) but it would be extremely sad to lose these two :lucas::wolf: see I am in this predicament where I was stupid to start maining all three so either way I'm gonna be disappointed :'( But I'm holding out for Wolf and Lucas until the very end.
He has a good point though while Fire emblem having four isn't bad, the fact that Star Fox and Mother have been represented in every Smash game through Fox and Ness Grants them at least 3 characters (2 for Mother though, unless Paula or Masked man are in there) while Fire Emblem came in during Melee and overall you must realise Earthbound has had 2 reps (3 sort of if Ninten turns out to be a Ness alt which I think is very possible because of Alph) and Star Fox has had 3, Fire Emblem all across the board has had 5 (6 sort of if you count female Robin or the fact Chrom is in Robin's final smash) I just think all the original franchise's should get at least two reps which I am also implying Captain Falcon should get Black Shadow where he takes Ganondorfs move-set and Sakurai can give Ganondorf his own original move-set :D

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Even though I'd rather have Krystal over Wolf, I feel that Wolf should be included over her. It would be wrong to cut him at this point... he was seriously the coolest character addition to Brawl, and a fantastic end to the unlockables. I didn't know about him before hand, and he was a more than pleasant surprise.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Even though I'd rather have Krystal over Wolf, I feel that Wolf should be included over her. It would be wrong to cut him at this point... he was seriously the coolest character addition to Brawl, and a fantastic end to the unlockables. I didn't know about him before hand, and he was a more than pleasant surprise.
Wolf was definitely the coolest I mean you have Fox say "Come On" Falco says "HANDS OFF MY PREY" and then you have Wolf "What's the matter scared" Truly a bad-ass :D

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
After seeing the grey fox palette I thought he was for sure gone but after reading some of your post I believe he is still in. Here's a link showing off some alt costumes and talks about fox/wolf http://www.examiner.com/article/sup...cter-roster-and-alternative-costumes-detailed
Anyway I feel wolf and Lucas will just be kept hidden because they won't cause TOO much hype with a trailer and be expect them to be gone which I don't believe so. I do think ice climbers are gone I can't see their franchise recover.
Also I remember at one point sakurai was going to put wolf over falco in melee, I can't see a badass like wolf gone.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
LOL. Have you guys seen this? http://imgur.com/a/vtRyf

Fox's palette isn't even remotely like Wolf.
I literally came to this thread to SAY exactly the same thing. You beat me by 11 minutes. No offense to the one person whose name I forget who first talked about this, but apparently they were insulted by being accused of not being able to recognize grey. Well, they actually can't recognize purple. Cause' that scouter certainly ain't blue. Wolf is in no danger whatsoever, at least from this costume conspiracy.

Also LOL to everyone who thinks Diddy's pink costume that resembles Dixie debunks her. He had that in Brawl too. It means nothing. Everyone's jumping to conclusions too quickly.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I strongly disagree with this premise of palette swaps deconfirming characters. If Fox's "gray" palette swap means Wolf won't return, then wouldn't we have assumed similarly about Wario when we saw Mario using his blue plumber outfit at the Invitational? I repeat myself with Diddy's pink costume. That logic is severely flawed; Wolf is still in and so is Lucas. After seeing Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit, and Toon Link (all characters deserving of their slots) I'm more than convinced that characters sharing special move archetypes does not put said characters in danger of being cut (in fact, I think it's just the opposite, again considering the resurgence of clone characters).

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I've still not lost hope for Wolf.

If there's even one more Brawl vet as part of the Sm4sh roster, I'd wager that it's Wolf. The select screen can easily accomodate him and another Poke-rep and move DHD and ROB down onto the lower row. He is one of Sakurai's personal picks for Brawl (and nearly Melee), and he was the very last character to be unlocked on Brawl, so I'd suggest that it'd probably be a similar deal now.

Plus there's a whole mode called vs. Wolf mode in the upcoming Star Fox game, Nintendo clearly have no intentions of abandoning him moving forward.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I saw the Fox gray color and I thought: "That aint Wolf".
And if they are going to pass this for Wolf, at least I hope Falco gets a Leon Powalski alt color.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
That grey Fox palette doesnt even look close to Wolf.
couple more days and we will know all.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I just came here to tell everyone that that palette looks nothing like Wolf, so that's good.

Here's to hoping O'Donnell is still around come this Friday.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Please, for Wolf's sake, stop assuming things. Just because you can get a trophy of a playable character before unlocking them does not mean in anyway they're not playable...

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Please, for Wolf's sake, stop assuming things. Just because you can get a trophy of a playable character before unlocking them does not mean in anyway they're not playable...
The trophy according to the source is just "Wolf" though I'm assuming it's his full name.

He is gone. :(

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Note how it's using the Assault model and not a custom model like in Brawl...
Which is a reason to say nobody should assume he's not in the game. Heck, maybe playable Wolf goes by his full name, but is called Wolf like how Solid Snake was just called Snake in game.

Another is that maybe Sakurai decided not to have lots of variations for character trophies and just have the memorable ones. Just imagine the amount of trophies of Link if each Link was given a trophy and then add in all the other characters.
The trophy according to the source is just "Wolf" though I'm assuming it's his full name.

Wolf O'Donnell.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Wow this is dissapointing, I still have hope that they just decided to go to the assault model or it could just be a. Alternate costume trophy

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Which is a reason to say nobody should assume he's not in the game. Heck, maybe playable Wolf goes by his full name, but is called Wolf like how Solid Snake was just called Snake in game.

Another is that maybe Sakurai decided not to have lots of variations for character trophies and just have the memorable ones. Just imagine the amount of trophies of Link if each Link was given a trophy and then add in all the other characters.

Wolf O'Donnell.
No Sakurai just said **** you to star fox fans and said here comes ****ty Kid Icarus. God I hate that man.

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

Yeah, if he was playable it would have been Wolf (Assault), right?

Damn, this really sucks but tbh, I was neutral on the whole thing. There's always Brawl and P:M.

Real unfortunate this happened though, especially with the likes of :4lucina: or the rumored :drmario: running around.

Top Bottom