• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can You help me with playing against Link?

KingJacob

Smash Apprentice
My friend has a fairly good link, but honestly neither of us are all that good, and I need help dealing with him. Which neutral stages do I do good on? which ones does link? When I counterpick what are some solid options? any overall tips for fighting him? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me, I will post vids later but it would be great to have some tips for the upcoming matches.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
i don't have that much experience playing a link. But from what i've read and seen, marth's sword is slightly longer than links so use that to ur advantage. Also when link grabs, step dodge it and he's left vulnerable for a few seconds which gives u time to start up a combo/fsmash him. Also when link is recovering off the stage just drop off the stage and bair him cuz it screws up his momentum

Dart

Smash Lord
also counter his obvious attacks and fair/ftilt/jab away his projectiles. DD and wavedash alot and just space tippers, grab to combo. also go out and get link don't let him comeback. thats what you should do against everybody but sheik and pika, maybe some others.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
dont go too far away or else you get ***** by projectiles and its hard to get back in.. Stay close, use his fast attacks and link them together i.e d-tilt, jab, n-air.. Dont use f-tilt or dash attack unless your comboing cause you'll just get grabbed from the lag.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Low tiers are almost exclusively a test of your tech skill. If you are having trouble with them, that probably means you aren't fast enough. Get your speed up, learn to implement that speed, and you usually don't need to worry about the matchup ever again. Control the tempo and pace and just run circles around them.

I know thats vague and doesn't answer a lot of things specifically about Link (remembering he has no grab, knowing his options on ledge are limited, counter out of shield, etc.) but it probably is the root of your problem more than anything.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Tech skill comes into play and tiers do, to an extent. This game is one where you know your character's advantages and disadvantages. but it's also reading your opponent, seeing what works, and understanding where your opponent is static (always teching in one direction/pulls off the same set of moves/etc).

But yeah, I ain't got much to say 'bout Link.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
dont give him space to spam his projectiles. get close enough to outspace his attacks, dash and wavedash in and out but not far enough to that he can draw a bomb. and stay in his face spaming moves trying to start juggles on him. utilt and fair can jungle link badly.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I totally think against a good link, the marth/link matchup isn't as sloped as it's thought to be.

After a well spaced fair or dtilt, into their shield I mean, you can jab and it'll keep you from getting shield grabbed.
If you think they're going to grab/shield grab, jump! Link's grapple can't grab you if you're in the air.

If you're approaching and they have a bomb, a.k.a., they're going to throw it, cancel your dash into a crouch and dtilt. goes under the bomb everytime.
I just had a thought, you could fsmash 'em after the bomb whizzes over your head, but I'm not sure, they'd prolly be able to put their shield back up.

When edguarding link, if they're the kind that likes to sweetspot grapple the edge, hang onto the edge and ledgehop bair when you see him start with the airdodge
If they're up-b ing, you can either ledgehop dair, or if you're on the stage, make sure you're back is facing towards the edge while you're waiting for the right time to fsmash. then fsmash towards him
I figured that out by experience, it really sucks for link if you fsmash him with your back towards him before hand. he can just keep ledge-teching and you're out of reach.

if you're at a really high percentage and you're d-throwed, di behind him. less kill options for him.

when thrown off stage/recovering, don't use your side-b unless you absolutely need to. (more general tip, but link has it easy by just running off the stage and jumping off with that ridiculously long-lasting sex kick of his and gimping marth. you're safer though if he's hanging on the ledge, trying to make you up-b onto the stage so he can ledgehop dair you. counter that by forcing him off the edge by threatening to hit him with your side-b. it's like saying, "I'm just floating here with my floaty side-b attack and if you don't get off soon, you're invincibility's going to wear off")

I know my link matchup, trust me. haha

also, it helps if you can practice grabbing thrown bombs

sonofashrub

Smash Apprentice
keep the pressure up. But do it with good spacing. Link's main advantage over marth is spamming lots of projectiles. So keep your spacing close, but don't get reckless.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
No AceDudeYeah, it is easily a 70-30 Marth.

Once you learn all his shananigans and how Links like to play....its kind of a joke.

I just played Skler for like twenty minutes and learned it really fast. lol.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Maybe Kuya's link style counters my marth style...
Actually, he does crazy **** to the local marths around here.
You should play him sometime! haha

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
i dont know if anyone has said this but like if ur on the ledge and link does his up B when he's below the ledge do a down air and it will hit that link.... and if u miss his B up will move you up so u dont die ect stay in the middle of the B up and u wont get hit by the powerful slash.... i know u can do this to other up Bs but this 1 takes way less skill..... sorry if im not sounding to pro or anything.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Fair a lot.

Don't F-smash unless he's airborne.
Link is super annoying though, and if he has a bomb in his hand and you miss a fair, he'll throw it and combo you off it with his retardedly good and easy combos.

Also POF- If you think the matchup is 70-30 in Marth's favor that's a joke man.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
More advice in this topic plz, I'm tired of getting my *** kicked by Germ. From what I've observed, it's good to cp close stages like yoshis, FoD, and Battlefield so you can keep Link relatively close and don't have to worry about getting spammed...like on Dreamland. Also can't you just counter when Link upBs into the stage? That way you can immediately get on the edge and react to another upB or predict the hookshot.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
More advice in this topic plz, I'm tired of getting my *** kicked by Germ. From what I've observed, it's good to cp close stages like yoshis, FoD, and Battlefield so you can keep Link relatively close and don't have to worry about getting spammed...like on Dreamland. Also can't you just counter when Link upBs into the stage? That way you can immediately get on the edge and react to another upB or predict the hookshot.
Most of the time, you can counter them.
However, they can time it to not hit you at all. perfect sweetspot.
also, harder if they're facing away from you.

cjugs

Smash Ace
This is a really fun match up i have found but at lower levels link seems to have a slight advantage his grab out does your sword and he can spot dodge ftilt u if u try a fsmash. stay in the air and don't do anything stupid into his shield. Edge guarding spam your dtilt link has a horrible sweetspot against that i played a scrub who all he did was that and he almost won. fthrow to fthrow works unless they di like a champ.

Cherished Doll

Smash Master
Just keep grabbing him....
You can easily **** his recovery with the down-b
I should know my Boyfriend is THE BEST LINK other then Germ :)

"Best Link in SoCal<3"

Zodiac

Smash Master
I really dont know that much about this match up except that link's projectiles wreck marth. Because thats what I do when I fight marth's. And usually it works, my experience is that they just have a hard time getting through the projectiles and when they finally do I just do a combo on them. I guess. if he's a projectile user dont get overwhelmed, just be patient and wait for your chance to get a little closer. if he approaches with an aerial after throwing projectiles, sheild them/cc them and then fair oos or sheild grab him. there are plenty of punishing options open to you, link is easy to combo once you get in on him so find some vids of that happening and look for your opportunity to do the same thing.

Signia

Smash Lord
Can Link do anything about SH double fair on his shield other than buffer rolling? His jump, grab, upB and upsmash seem too slow to interrupt.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
protip from an ex link main marth main:

one of the gayest things you can do to links up-b recovery is CC dtilt them (or just space well and dont get hit by it at all if you have the time). just make sure the dtilt comes out before his final swing of his sword because this usually knocks you down or away unless youre like under 20-30%

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Can Link do anything about SH double fair on his shield other than buffer rolling? His jump, grab, upB and upsmash seem too slow to interrupt.
He can jump and nair.
oooh, don't underestimate up-b. Comes out faster than jump nair.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Maybe Kuya's link style counters my marth style...
Actually, he does crazy **** to the local marths around here.
You should play him sometime! haha
Nah, not really. He just camps a lot. Nothing special.
No AceDudeYeah, it is easily a 70-30 Marth.

Once you learn all his shananigans and how Links like to play....its kind of a joke.

I just played Skler for like twenty minutes and learned it really fast. lol.
Yes.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
just learn the match and play as gay as possible you should be able to keep it close even if your opponent is much better than you are.

play it smart and marth wins. respect the nair tho.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Link can effectively counter marth if your opponent knows the match up. Try to take him to a small stage. up close you have the superior game, and links will usually try to avoid that. a lot of his projectiles can be swated away with jab, bombs can be caught and thrown back at him (We HATE that), The boot can be out ranged by fair or double fair. Just dont underestimate his grab, reading when he will grab and just hopping over it will give time to do whatever you want. For edge gaurding, dtilts and counter's, link gets knocked back off stage with a proper counter. Link is very limited in terms of what he can do, and ALL his combos on you will come from a launcher. AKA

CC dsmash, dtilt, dash attack. His projectiles also serve as launchers and damage rackers. if you can take away his projectile game then you've won half the battle.

play it smart and marth wins. respect the nair tho.
Nair will **** you up good, if your apporaching haphazardly link can nair you out of your to close approaches all day, you just need to space it properly and you can get around it. but beware of the double nair. if they full hop it then they can do another one as soon as the first one ends. It can lead into launchers because it usually hits with the weak part of the nair and doesnt send you very far.

k, done talking about how to beat my former main.

Top Bottom