• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we use the new AT "Moondash" to advance Samus?

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Moondashing was discovered by saviorslegacy, he saw a lvl. 9 CPU fox use it and punish Ike, and wisely caught it on video and started testing it. It is like a mini-version of moonwalking from Melee, where you dash in one direction and use that momentum to take you the opposite direction. Check it out:

Step 1. Watch the video where a Lvl 9 CPU fox uses the Moon Dash effectively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4eTFNYlaV0

Step 2. Watch how saviorslegacy finally learned how to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdrsdxrey0I (Samus is in the video! Starts at 1:15)

Step 3. Start pondering
+ Can we grab out of this?
+ Can we fsmash, dtilt, plasma shot out of it?
+ Anything else?

From your gamers' eye, can you see anyway this could advance Samus' metagame? We definitely need a way to space ourselves and punish with ground attacks. I think this would be great. This is also a new AT, so we could be on the cutting edge of getting it to work. And finally Samus is one of the few characters that benefit well from it.

What do you guys think?

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
When I get to my wii, I'll look over this again.

I looked at it before, and I turned it away because I found it extraneous. It spaces against only a handful of moves, where perfect shielding would have been a better option/OoS up-b.

Since f-titling does kill the boost associated with it, it's hard to say how much distance Samus can take from this anyway. D-tilt is another good punishing option which doesn't kill the boost I think, jab not so much.

I'll look over it again possibly tonight.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I am sadly AFW (away from Wii) but I can tell you that jab does not stop your momentum.
Most d-tilt's stop the slide and most grabs do the same.

However, it's the fact that you cover distance in a neutral state that makes this good, not that you can slide and attack (although I do see new combo possibilities since I can now perform it from a standing position or close to it).

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
boost walking was found in the first week of the usa launch of brawl. not new but it opens up options for some chars

saviorslegacy

boost walking was found in the first week of the usa launch of brawl. not new but it opens up options for some chars
*sigh* (I need to copy this to a note pad now.....)

This is not Boost Walking. Boost Walking= a momentum gain through a pivot
This= to momentum's canceling each other out and then adding momentum.

If it was Boost Walking then Marth would be a God at this instead of average while Fox for some reason can MD the best.

Xyro77

ummmmmm.....

i watched the 2nd vid again. its boost walking into an attack. legan does that same thing fox did but with link and his f-tilt

saviorslegacy

ummmmmm.....

i watched the 2nd vid again. its boost walking into an attack. legan does that same thing fox did but with link
This AT requires a sticky walk, no way around it.
Anything else is not this. Last time I checked the inputs on that video was:
walk left/right> turn around (opposite direction)> turn back to your original position and slide some

This is walk left/right> dash (opposite direction)> while sticky walking input for a walk> release the analog and slide
If anything this is like that Boost thing that Samurai Panda found about a year ago. Since they seem to be based on momentum building and then releasing yourself into a slide.

Xyro77

uhhhhhh ok, i see no diff visually. it MUST be a tech that only works well for certain chars.
just like boost walking, i feel this tech is nice to know but does not hold much value in relation to deeply changing the way we play and think with samus.

i think what we need is samus ONLY techs.

but no matter how the cookie crumbles, i am dead serious when i say i appreciate what u have done for this community.

saviorslegacy

uhhhhhh ok, i see no diff visually. it MUST be a tech that only works well for certain chars.
just like boost walking, i feel this tech is nice to know but does not hold much value in relation to deeply changing the way we play and think with samus.

i think what we need is samus ONLY techs.

but no matter how the cookie crumbles, i am dead serious when i say i appreciate what u have done for this community.
lol, I have gotten a lot of that.
I have probably explained the differences 7 times today. lol
The only things that it changes is that it adds a new element to the spacing game. If you look at all of the little spacing options it is game breaking.

I agree and don't agree. Samus is one of the best at this though.

Thank you for that. :)

Xyro77

i watched it the first time and i saw the fox part and it seemed like it was attacking from the boost walking. Then i watched the samus part when savior reposted the vid a post or 2 ago. I still think its not game changing for samus but instead its very game changing for certain characters.

I mean if people use it in-game then great. But i still feel this isnt a break-through like glide tossing was for peach or QAC was for pikachu. see what im saying?

if that boost ball thing i quit working on was much easier and if more people got it working then it may change how samus plays.

saviorslegacy

i watched it the first time and i saw the fox part and it seemed like it was attacking from the boost walking. Then i watched the samus part when savior reposted the vid a post or 2 ago. I still think its not game changing for samus but instead its very game changing for certain characters.

I mean if people use it in-game then great. But i still feel this isnt a break-through like glide tossing was for peach or QAC was for pikachu. see what im saying?

if that boost ball thing i quit working on was much easier and if more people got it working then it may change how samus plays.
Wait.... Boost Ball... adding momentum... charging momentum through a stall.... and releasing momentum... hmmmmmmm

Xyro77

boost ball makes u slide a "standing grab" length and u can do any tilt or smash out of it. a few of us here have done it most cant. The ones who have done it cant do it consistantly yet.

saviorslegacy

boost ball makes u slide a "standing grab" length and u can do any tilt or smash out of it. a few of us here have done it most cant. The ones who have done it cant do it consistantly yet.
You are missing my point.
If there is ANYWAY and ANYWAY at all to stall the movement animation of the Boost Ball right before you come out I know how to find that new sliding AT. It is just finding the way to slide. -_-

There might be one option though. If you run off the ledge and mine you can actually DI back and glitch rolling forward and get stuck at the ledge.
If you can remain glitched up to the end THEN you might have your sliding AT.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
There might be one option though. If you run off the ledge and mine you can actually DI back and glitch rolling forward and get stuck at the ledge.
If you can remain glitched up to the end THEN you might have your sliding AT.
That's been known since Melee.

As for this "new AT," I don't see anything special about it. What's the difference between it and the Doop walk found by Dooplis Swe (?) I think his name was? I don't find it useful.

Top Bottom