• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we has Diddy match-ups?

Wako

Smash Cadet
Delete if this was posted, but I don't see it.

What character, as Diddy, a re you having a hard time with? Mine would be Meta Knight, of course. The MK I play not only can read my like a book(We've been playing since about 2005, from Melee to Brawl), but just generally outprioritize and combo me.

I had some trouble with a very good Pit, also. More so clutch nanner reflects and arrow spamming, coupled with a very good recovery.

So, post who you need advice against, who you find yourself losing to, or who you think Diddy is strong against.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Samus is difficult

I have a hard time beating Samus. I have a hard time invading a Samus friend that spams missles and has a blaster all the way charged up waiting to use it at the right moment. Even if the gun isn't charged up and he isn't firing missles he'll shoot little charged gun shots off rapidly that stun Diddy. When I get close he either flames me in the air or uses her down A move.

With Peach in Melee I could float over all of it, but with Diddy I'm not sure what to do. I think I should pull out a banana and throw it at him (they do go kinda far).

He's always been an excellent Samus player though. He's mained her since 2000 and hasn't turned back. From 64 to Brawl he's always been the better player, but it's always fun to play him. I've gotten a few wins, but not many.

I'd say Sonic and Pit are the next hardest to stop, but that's cause I've got another friend who's good with them.

The hardest CPU's would have to be Pit and Fox for me. Fox because he's fast and strong and Pit because of those d*** arrows and forward B.

Elementals

Smash Rookie
There is this pikachu on my friends list who is absolutely ridiculous. So much priority and speed. He'll shorthop F-air fast and is able to DI enough so that my F-air misses. I'll play bananas heavy, both of them, and its hard to maintain control over them when D-smash is SUPER fast with good knockback. Pikachu's D-smash is faster than Diddy's "A" at least in my experience.

He is also really good at edgeguarding. Somtimes I'll spend a full minute trying to get back onto the stage from a hanging position without getting trapped in D-smash or D-air. I can beat him rarely, but that was before he adapted to my dual banana game. Its even hard to get the moment to set out the banana and grab them.

On a side note, it seems to me that it is harder to catch bananas thrown at diddy with his dash attack than with other characters. Or maybe its just me.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Ike and Pit, but I have trouble fighting them with anyone >>

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I would say a Dedede.. The fact that he can just shield your approach and grab you from so far away makes it a hard match up.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I have trouble with my friend's Lucario. It always comes down to our final stock and we'll both have like 100 damage but because he's Lucario, his power is insane at that point. He's gotten really good at catching my nanners and using them against me.

deletedmember

Smash Cadet
ROB is ridiculously difficult. He's the campiest character ever, so if you don't approach he's just gonna kill you from afar, not to mention the fact that Diddy's peanuts are broken by any of Rob's projectiles. Then when you approach ROB just does his down smash over and over and destroys you. The gyro is so ****ing annoying too.

Mario Ph.D

Smash Rookie
"Can we has Diddy match-ups?"

**stopped reading**
LAWLZ. Can we has sense of humor?

But so far, my biggest trouble has been with Ike. I think I may be alone in this, but I had not really had any exposure to him, so that may have something to do with that. As for my best match-up, I would have to say Mario so far. My roommate mains him, but my speed has been giving him some trouble, as well as my banana's.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
People are just saying random characters they have a hard time with because they're very experienced with said character. >_>

Wako

Smash Cadet
I recently attended my first semi-big tournament(60-70+ turnout) so I'll try and give what advice I can( I placed 4th after a 2nd round loss, playing Diddy the whole time..gogo Diddy!)

I'll start with Pit. Pit will start the match with arrows. Generally, I take the first hit, jump, and throw out a banana. If you're facing an experience Pit, they will know to stop spamming arrows immediatly(atleast on most stages). If not, better for you. Try and get mid-range to Pit(taking arrows if you have to) and as soon as you see him charging another arrow, chuck it at his feet. You may get hit but he will slip, setting up tech traps and nanner traps. Other than that..whenever Pit is coming after me, I try and get out a-a-tail spin (or whatever you'd like to call it) or an angled forward tilt. Pit is also one of the few characters I'm aggresive against when he is off the stage. I try and hit him with bananas, Humps, or BAir. Either way as long as you don't miss he will need to mix up his recovery.

Pikachu next. I don't have extensive knowledge, but I'll say what I can. It's pretty much alot of mindgames. Jump at him, wait for an attack, and jump again, trying to sneak a BAir in(the point being on your second jump you jump past him). If you have to, Diddy hump your way out of there. Or, atleast at low percentages, try and trade a hit..your neutral to whatever he is using(except a charged smash..don't ever trade with that). That's the only trick I've discovered, really...only played a few Pikachus. Other than that..maybe ending one of your combos with a d-tilt to prevent him countering and giving you breathing room.

Toon Link- OUCH. This is a tough one. I can't really give any other advice than to try and always keep on his tail. Little breathing room. Even if you need to take a few beatings, just breathe down his neck. other than that, try and always have an escape route if that D-Air is coming. Though, you should try and have it so TL is never above you..other than that, once again, I'm out of ideas.

Dededeeer- Hm. I played a pretty good De and it gave me a run for my money. First, pick smaller stages. This will limit the amount of time he can chain grab you(if you paly your techs correctly) If your facing a De who grabs alot(which most will) try and do one of two things with your bananas- Either set/throw them infront of Dede and immediatly charge. Hopefully he will instinctively go for a grab, causing him to slip. If not, he will try and grab the banana. PUNISH HIM. This creates a hug tilt/BAir chain possibility..just watch for him trying to get rid of the banana asap and be ready to catch. Other than that, jumping above the stars on his revory and DAir or BAir seemed to work for me.

I can't really help you on Lucario. I've only played one. Sorry.

Ike- This can go either way very quickly. With Ike's NAir. Almost any failed attack is punishment for you. The best I can say is ban Lylat, get two bananas out asap, and try and botch his recovery. Other than that, hold that shield a second longer than you think you should, try and keep a banana infront of you, and watch out for his dash-UTilt and Dash-Jab..if you're lucky you can shield 2nd or 3rd hit of jab and do a quick NAir or Fair. Oh, and at low percentages and depending on your opponents DI, DThrow to Bair-Bair works wonders for me.

ROB- Only a bit of experience. Try and choose a larger stage; the Rob will feel safer here. As with Pit, take a few hits to get Bananas out if you have to. Watch out for the Dair. To avoid it I'd say short hop in with a Bananna, drop it, and Fair or Bair, depending on their DI. Other than that I can honestly say I didn't have much trouble with the Rob I faced.

Hope this helps someone in someway; point out any suggestions/flaws in my tactics.

Wako

Smash Cadet
I actually picked up T. Link as a secondary, so I'll try and give what advice I can..he is really touch for Diddy(atleast in my opinion)..but heres some of what I've learned.

He is obviously going to use projectiles and much as he can. Every time an opponent throws/charges a projectile, throw a banana at their feet. I think I mentioned this before..you'll both get hit, but he'll slip. I'd take your opponent slipping over 4% and some stopping power. Also, his recovery is kind of easy to botch. Try and throw a banana and get a BAir against the stage or to the side for clear potential. Try not to keep the fight completely aerial; Toon Link can and will hit hard in the air. I can't really give much more advice..like I stted before, be aggresive, punish him when he spams projectiles, and always stay on him. Obvious cartwheel-UTilt or DMash rules apply.

I'd actually like to point out one of the reasons I love Diddy is he punishes campers..which seems to be a central theme in Brawl so far.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Who I think Diddy does good against:

Any big character that he can run around and pwn with bananas. Ike, 3D, DK, Bowser are all easy prey. They're huge targets just asking to be combo'ed. They can't keep up with you and if you space well with tilts and abuse openings with bananas, those matchups are really fun to play.

Bad against:

MK owns Diddy. There isn't any way around it. Bananas aren't that effective, because MK is mostly an air fighter, whereas Diddy's game is ground-based. I also find really good Warios somewhat of a problem. Hardest by far would be Meta though.

quarzark

Smash Rookie
hmm... Diddy has a few bad match-ups, basically anyone who has a really really good priority moveset is a hard match for him. However the one thing I like about Diddy is he can get around his bad match-ups better then any other character simply because of stupid monkey mind-games

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Diddy vs. Olimar is even, and hilarious for both players and anyone watching.

1. Both characters have **** recoveries (relative to this game), and really good ways to gimp each other.
2. Both characters have ways to keep the other from wanting to camp them, and are good at racking up damage quickly.
3. If both players know how to use bananas well, someone is falling on their *** every 5 seconds. If you know how to use bananas and he doesn't, more power to you. :)
4. Matches last an average of 3 minutes or less.

It's one of my favorite matchups now, as either character. :)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
With a lack of priority compared to alot of other fighters, not to mention no projectile to speak of that can be used for any purpose that isnt gimping recoveries (peanuting a recovering ike, leading him to die FTW), i think all diddys have a hard time against:

-All Space Animals, especially Falco since he throws his reflector out
-Dedede, only because while you can easily rack up damage, actually killing him becomes quite difficult
-Olimar, since you dont really possess a move that can get rid of the pikmin he throws at you. You'll just have to ride it out. All of his smashes/grabs outrange all of yours
-Pikachu. A neutral B happy pikachu is a hard fight for diddy. Not impossible, but can be difficult. If they dont spam neutral B, then this fight should be cake

More or less, I think a good diddy can pretty much even up a match up against any other character besides the ones listed above

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
For some reason, MK doesn't give me as hard a matchup as I would figure. I actually picked Diddy up as a counterpick to this persons MK because he had problems with my Squirtle, and I see Diddy as Squirtle without hydroplaning and exhaustion, but with bananas and I've only lost to him twice.

Anyone with a deflector makes my life miserable though. Zelda, Space Animals. Those guys more than most. Playing the aggressive up close game is borderline impossible, and bananaing them is even harder.

I've killed Dedede at 115%.

thegreatace

Smash Cadet
i guess in my own experience playing Diddy, I have no real trouble fighting ike, or other slower characters, sometimes snake can be a joke. but its the projectiles that i have had trouble with, and one of the greatest ways to avoid projectiles and still get a hit in is is F-b kung fu kick. this thing can almost get through anything and the beginning of the f-b is a dodge, then a kick. it has really made the game for me a few times when its hard to approach.

just throw a nanner, and while they are dealing with that, either cartwheel to U-smash, or kung fu kick. especially when they are preparing for a attack. it just gets through.

AND THEY HATE IT!! hahaha :-)

also to comment on sharkboy013, a great way to get around reflecting jerks, is to throw a nanner at there feet not at there body. so that, when it is reflected it goes no where, then while they are doing that you should have jumped and F-a them over there head. this helps especially against falco. I would assume the same for the rest. at least thats my own story. hope it helps! :)

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
Basicaly I can work against any charachter that is bigger than mario smaller than that and I beggin to have allot of trouble but other than that I like to use the "nanner" to trip them and then grab them and throw them (rinse and repeat until there off of the platform) and follow up with fairs or dairs (for those victories where you just have to stand up and gloat right infront of your opponents face).

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Meta Knight and Wario have given me the most trouble.

As someone said, bananas can't do much to Meta as he's always in the air, you basically have to outsmart a good MK.

Wario eats your bananas, which sucks, if you play a good Wario again, you need to outsmart and outplay them.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Wario eats your bananas, which sucks, if you play a good Wario again, you need to outsmart and outplay them.
Dedede does also, but that still gives them laggy animation frames in which you can punish them. Every single time Dedede ate my banana it forced him to have to swallow which screwed his lag time. While doing that I came forward and got him into a combo which ruined him. Wario shouldn't be any different.

As someone said, bananas can't do much to Meta as he's always in the air, you basically have to outsmart a good MK.
I've been forcing the MK I play to stay grounded and I use the nanners as more than just tripping devices against him. I've actually got him to trip in the Nado before, that was quite amusing. Granted all of my games against him are close, but we are equal in skill so Diddy doesn't have as bad a matchup as you might think. You just need to play smart and utilize your attacks well. Keep to a specific game style, wait for the MK to become predictable, and start punishing when you find a weakness in their defenses. NEVER be predictable, but stay vigilant. MK is a hard matchup, I will admit, but I have been able to beat him a very large majority of the time.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
can't you crawl up to pit if he arrow spams?
Yes. But after the first 1-2 shots the person will curve the arrow down to hit you while you're crawling. So, after 2 misses, try to jump instead of crawl since the 3rd shot is gonna be curved downward 99% of the time. Then try to mix the two up until you get to him

Kro

Smash Rookie
Entered a tourney a little while ago and the toughest matchups I had were against characters with long powerful aerials like Game and Watch, Marth, and Wolf. Bigger characters like DDD were easy to beat since you can always lead in with a banana due to your speed. Spammers like Pit and Toon Link don't have as much power behind their aerials as Diddy so I could usually beat them since I could match the rest with bananas.

How do you beat G&W's b-air? I found myself rolling to the edge of the stage a lot since blocking that thing completely eats your shield. Side-step gets you hit. Rolling toward him or jumping leaves you open to D-smash or N-air.

An even worse development is when G&W has the lead and starts spamming b-air while running away. There's no way to approach that without a good projectile or a longer range aerial like marth's f-air. The only reason the match was close was because of Diddy's glide toss -> throw setup in between his few poorly spaced b-airs and tech-chasing. Whenever I didn't have a banana out there was nothing I could do. One thing I've learned is to avoid shielding his d-air and trying to counter. The recovery on that is ridiculous and he can usually follow it up with a D-smash since the shockwave keeps you stunned.

I have similar troubles against Marth when he's on the offensive. The double fair -> side-B combo will eat up your shield and leave you too far to shield grab. Plus, his ability to Up-B you after almost any one of his attacks feels a lot like fighting Ken in any Street Fighter.

Wolf has deceptive range and powerful attacks. Reflector also negates a lot of my banana tactics like glide toss combos. Finally, the blaster has similar range as my banana toss so we usually just end up trading hits with projectiles at that range and I can't follow-up well. The only useful thing I could come up with is tossing the bananas at his feet or above him to limit his movement and then using the cartwheel approach. Other than that it feels like you're just trading hits while he has better strength.

Marth and Wolf seem beatable but difficult if I just get used to fighting them but I played the G&W twice and he beat me both times. Still at a loss on what to do.

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
One of my friends mains Ness and I been having trouble against Ness while using Diddy Kong. The real problem really seems to be fighting Ness in the air and approaching. He can avoid my banana peels pretty easily (and I consider myself to be good at using them), approaching becomes pretty hard because he can counter rushes and rolls by jumping, rolling, or PK Fire/Thunder, and finally when I try to fight Ness in the air it just seems like all of Ness's attacks have better range than Diddy's so Diddy gets hit first.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, characters with a really good air game tend to be hard to fight with Diddy. Primarily those who have high-priority aerials with decent range.

My friend plays a mean Lucario, and I have oh so much trouble fighting him. I usually switch to a different character if I want a chance. :(

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
Well from my past experiences from attending tournies here are my thoughts of what i think of Diddy's chances are beating the characters. I wont list them all, ill list a few from the bat

Ike- You may think its an easy match because Ike is laggy, but it's really not easy. Diddy is one of those characters thats a close combat fighter and Ike does well in close combat. Espcially his Jab A combo, if you use your Banana Peels to keep Ike at bay, it should give you plenty of time of what you wanna do to Ike. As far as edgeguarding goes, if Ike does the Quick Draw move, Diddy can easily Diddy Hump Ike since Ike is going to most like hit Diddy if your right infront on him in mid air that is. Try not to be in the air too much because Ikes tilts and smashers are deadly. I would definitly use alot of shield grabs to block hits from Ikes brutsome sword.

60-40 in Diddys Favor

Pit- Hes pretty tricky to play against because you need to have good mindgames to pull off the banana peels effectivly. For one thing, Pit can use his Mirror Shield or his Spinning sword to block the banana peels. Diddy will have a hard time spiking since Pit's recover is godly. If your facing against a camper who does nothing but shoots out arrows, pull out a banapeel and do a glide toss at his face when he leasts suspects hit. Pits godly in midair since he can glide around the field easily but if you use a Nair, that will stop him in its tracks.

40-60 in Pits Favor

King De De De- Very easy since you can combo him easily but watch out for his chain grab because its quite deadly. All of his smashes have horrible lag so you have nothing to worry about. He can spam easily with his Waddle-Dee's, Gordos, Waddle-Doo's do just try to dance around him so you can make him stop spamming with his creatures.

70-30 in Diddys Favor

Rex+

Smash Ace
I can't really help you on Lucario. I've only played one. Sorry.
Diddy ***** Lucario. I've played numerous players on Gamebattles that used Lucario, and bananas **** them.

Luigi is annoying because when I glide toss towards him, I try following up with a forward smash as usual but Luigi's friction sends him far from you once the banana has hit. :/ His aerial priority is hard to overcome as well, notably his sex kick.

R.O.B. for obvious reasons.

Falco is a big one, personally, just because of the **** reflector. I have no trouble beating Foxes and Wolves, but Falco takes a lot more time to KO than the other two. I need to switch up my mindgames a bit.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
After you play most of the characters you see listed above, then you pick up their patterns and combo possibilities. It only gets easier. That's why Diddy is amazing. You can change up your game while still playing fast and fluently. The only characters I have a hard time against are the ones I haven't played enough. That's why I sit at a t.v and play friendlies at tournaments the whole time instead of competing. That and I don't ever have the entry fee hahaha

Top Bottom