• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we grow up about "grills"

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Bruh. I don't need dating advice, It's just I'm the only one around here who's actually aware that He's a teenager in SoCal and No-one here has particularly Tickled my fancy as the cool kids say. And believe me I'm already a confident Mother ******, mostly because I just don't give a **** about how people perceive me because they don't know me on social media and In a few years I won't know them anyway. I just don't like talking to females here because they think that they should be entitled to be treated differently. Meaning they're spoiled and they think that just because they're a girl they're entitled to some special treatment
Are you sure you don't live in Georgia? This is a near perfect description about the attitudes of most young women in my state.

NNID
Budget_Player
I'll address the actual points when I'm sober, but with regards to evo I feel the need to point out that at the MKX stream, they had Aris Bahktanians on commentary. ****ing Aris. In what ****ing universe is that acceptable? This is the kind of person you remove from ANY position of influence or power in the community. I don't care how good he is, you can find a different commentator who is at least almost as good and who doesn't have a history of sexual harassment on livestream. ****. That. ****.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
How about everyone stops getting so easily offended by everything.
Dont judge how everyone else acts purely on how some guys in a chat acted.
If someones like "grill" then just be like "Yeah, whats so special?"
If you get offended by something and then express that you're offended, 9/10 times they not only won't stop, but will pick up the intensity
This can go for any type of "harassment" anyone will encounter
Seriously, this is Kindergarten "How to not get 'bullied' 101" its not that hard
Edit: Also adding in "Have a nice day" like a smartass at the end isnt helping your case too much
And by "case" I mean "wah wah, I'm offended, everyone else sucks"

Last edited:

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
I feel like both sides could mature a little. "Grill" is just a common joke, it's not meant to be offensive. But, at the same time, stuff like "The internet has no girls" should go away. It's especially bad in MMOs, a genre that a lot of girls actually play, that has the joke where every girl is actually a boy in real life.

Also, yeah, coming out as transgender would be hard due to this. Although, I'm not too sure about how genders work since when I think about my own gender identification my mind just goes kablooey from confusion.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I feel like both sides could mature a little. "Grill" is just a common joke, it's not meant to be offensive. But, at the same time, stuff like "The internet has no girls" should go away. It's especially bad in MMOs, a genre that a lot of girls actually play, that has the joke where every girl is actually a boy in real life.

Also, yeah, coming out as transgender would be hard due to this. Although, I'm not too sure about how genders work since when I think about my own gender identification my mind just goes kablooey from confusion.
"There are no girls on the internet", and a similar one I'll get into later, are two of the most commonly misunderstood phrases I've seen. It's not to erase women, or to tell them they're not welcome, or any similar nonsense a certain infamous plaid shirt fan with hoop earrings might tell you. The phrase "There are no girls on the Internet" is a reminder that gender is irrelevant here.

Back in the earlier days of the net, this was closer to true. It was mostly a place for friendless nerds. So, when somebody showed up claiming to be female, they got a lot of extra attention and an army ready to come to their defense whenever somebody started giving them **** about something. In MUDs and MMOs, this person, whether they were truly female or not, would often get invited to more questing groups or got free stuff from lonely, socially ******** men. "There are no women on the Internet" was a phrase used to remind people that, statistically speaking, this person was probably a Guy In Real Life, and becoming a white knight or giving free stuff was dumb.

Its sister phrase, "**** or gtfo" is used to remind a "girl" that this is the Internet and gender doesn't matter. All that matters is what you can bring to whatever platform you're a part of. If you're good at this game, that's all that matters. If you can contribute to this fansite, that's all that matters. We don't need to know your gender, like we don't need to know your skin color or what you eat for breakfast. It's irrelevant, and due to the history surrounding people randomly announcing their gender in virtual spaces, there's probably a motive behind it.

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
I'm going to get this out of the way right now: I'm a transgirl. Take that with whatever you will.

I'll address the actual points when I'm sober, but with regards to evo I feel the need to point out that at the MKX stream, they had Aris Bahktanians on commentary. ****ing Aris. In what ****ing universe is that acceptable? This is the kind of person you remove from ANY position of influence or power in the community. I don't care how good he is, you can find a different commentator who is at least almost as good and who doesn't have a history of sexual harassment on livestream. ****. That. ****.
We should just immediately throw out people for sexual harassment. Ban them from tournaments and show that it will not be tolerated. Didn't we have a big scandal about this awhile ago? Ugh.

Anyway, speaking of that, yeah, this whole "GRILL" thing is ridiculous. What, exactly, do people have to gain? It's not funny, and it just makes women feel uncomfortable, leading half the freaking population to feel uncomfortable in Smash.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
That may have been slight hyperbole, but still.
There is no "but still", and it is not a "slight" hyperbole. The topic is about the minority of girls in Smash. There are no definite numbers to get here, but what is the m:f ratio in Smash? One female per one hundred males? One in fifty? One in 200? Even if it were to be only one in ten, as there are roughly equal numbers in the whole population, only a fraction of the female population is interested in Smash. That is mainly because only a small fraction of the total population is interested in Smash. Most people don't even know it exists. You cannot be offended by something you take absolutely no part in, so there's no hostility against 3 billion females.

On a side note, discussion in here has become very stale. Meh.

Last edited:

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I still stand by what I said earlier (acting like a huge Roy main now) that we should treat girls the same way we treat guys. Laugh with them, share jokes, trash-talk, get d***-ed on. Etc.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
An old Smash forum I used to frequent refused to believe I was a female despite photographs, because of a scandal involving someone pretending to be female on the boards. Annoying, that was.

The most 'sexism' I've dealt with was just boys being douchers on L4D shooting me and my cousin until I spoke on the mic and they were like "holy **** it's a girl" and practically spoiled me with pills and health packs the entire campaign.
I must be lucky, since I've gone to various gaming events and everyone was really nice to me! Nobody really treated me different or went easy on me because of my gender, the only comment I got was "wow, you're the first girl I've seen here that actually plays!" at an UMvC3 Box Arena meetup. There was also a case of my buddy's girlfriend getting hit on constantly while mic chatting during a CoD game. I think it also depends on the gaming community, as I find 2D fighting communities to be more open and mature about girl gamers compared to communities for FPS's.

The only time girl gamers bother me are when they're twitch streamers and angle their webcam just right with a tank top on so you get full exposure of breasts. Let your skills get you views, not your jugs.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
1) We already do welcome the other half of the population. Most of them aren't interested. Brain chemistry and all that. Some people bend over backwards and the majority of women still aren't interested.

2) Source please. I play video games a lot, and yes, with voice chat. I have only seen one example of someone giving another player grief because of their gender, and that was from a known troll. I was about to kick the guy out of the group, but she told me to not worry about it.
YOUR experience is not the same the community as a whole. I've never experienced racial profiling but I know **** well it exists.

I get that this was an old post but I can't help calling out ignorance. Women ARE treated differently in this community. That is a fact. Your experience is 1 in 10 million.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
The only way people will shut up about this stuff is if a girl player becomes really good. How good, I don't know, but good enough. Once a girl gets in the top 20 though, girls will definitely stop receiving flak and women be more comfortable joining the scene knowing they wouldn't be completely alone. Sure that one girl who's really good would get a ton of attention... but PPMD Kreygasm.

M2K wasn't welcomed at first. Then he kicked everyone's ass. Gay men are pretty much accepted entirely at this point (In Smash), possibly due to high numbers of representation. No reason that a single girl couldn't pave the way for others IMO.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I wish there were more female gamers. I'm sorry if us men create an atmosphere that seems uninviting. At the same time, I feel that most of us guys are very chill and so there must be plenty of girls who are simply intimidated by the mere fact that the scenes are male-dominant.

Kittenpuncher

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5071-2790-5145
reminds me of that one ****ty dota 2 song video where there's a bunch of girls sitting on a couch while these guys are playing dota and the girls look so uncomfortable

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, the saying "There are no girls in the Internet" has become more of an ironic saying or sarcastic remark more than an actual way of getting into people's emotions.

Or at least, that's what I'd like to think.

ZZSamantha

Smash Lord
NNID
NNOOOBB
I'm working as best I can to become a female threat in Smash. Maybe people would take women seriously if we were actually putting in work. Honestly it would help if any game had a competitive level female. :/

I'm also trans, but in a different way that would take way to long to explain.

LeoMerc

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-4068-6502
It's devolving into it.
Look, I've been in a lot of ****ty fandoms. I've seen a lot of autism. Men are only assholes to women in gaming because they're either just a-holes or really, really thirsty. It doesn't matter if the girl's 20 or 200 pounds, men are always thirsty to the point of ridiculousness. That's my two bits, sorry for any women or anyone that has experienced the crappy effects of this behavior.
/thread.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
It's devolving into it.
Look, I've been in a lot of ****ty fandoms. I've seen a lot of autism. Men are only ******** to women in gaming because they're either just a-holes or really, really thirsty. It doesn't matter if the girl's 20 or 200 pounds, men are always thirsty to the point of ridiculousness. That's my two bits, sorry for any women or anyone that has experienced the crappy effects of this behavior.
/thread.
It really isn't devolving into anything. Please research what gamer gate actually was.

Also many studies show that while women are more likely to be sexually harassed or stalked online, men are more likely to be victims of harassment in general.
Pew Research Center said:
Overall, men are somewhat more likely than women to experience at least one of the elements of online harassment, 44% vs. 37%. In terms of specific experiences, men are more likely than women to encounter name-calling, embarrassment, and physical threats.

However, they are more than twice as likely to be upset by harassment, so it is a much bigger problem for their demographic. Obviously not all women will be more upset than all men, its an average. (This should go without saying, but there's always that one guy...)
Pew Research Center said:
Women were more likely than men to find their most recent experience with online harassment extremely or very upsetting—38% of harassed women said so of their most recent experience, compared with 17% of harassed men.
http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/

Last edited:

LeoMerc

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-4068-6502
>research GamerGate
Yeah, I could be wrong.(edit: I'm probably wrong)Honestly, the whole thing is so convoluted.

>all those articles
Your point? There's plenty of facts, now where's the opinion?

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
>research GamerGate
Yeah, I could be wrong.(edit: I'm probably wrong)Honestly, the whole thing is so convoluted.

>all those articles
Your point? There's plenty of facts, now where's the opinion?
My point is that you came off as if you think that all men are disgusting pigs and only women are harassed...

I have no idea what "where's the opinion" means.

ZZSamantha

Smash Lord
NNID
NNOOOBB
It's devolving into it.
Look, I've been in a lot of ****ty fandoms. I've seen a lot of autism. Men are only ******** to women in gaming because they're either just a-holes or really, really thirsty. It doesn't matter if the girl's 20 or 200 pounds, men are always thirsty to the point of ridiculousness. That's my two bits, sorry for any women or anyone that has experienced the crappy effects of this behavior.
/thread.
Reminder I once had a 23 year old man hit on me over and over again online. I'm 14, and he knew that. Humanity scares me.

LeoMerc

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-4068-6502
My point is that you came off as if you think that all men are disgusting pigs and only women are harassed...

I have no idea what "where's the opinion" means.
You gave what you meant. Also, I'm a CIS male. That tirade came from experience.
Reminder I once had a 23 year old man hit on me over and over again online. I'm 14, and he knew that. Humanity scares me.
*shudders* You're not even legal.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm working as best I can to become a female threat in Smash. Maybe people would take women seriously if we were actually putting in work. Honestly it would help if any game had a competitive level female. :/

I'm also trans, but in a different way that would take way to long to explain.
I believe the concensus agrees with you though I'm not sure to what level it'd have to reach. Perhaps at least 30% saturation or 3 out of every 10 attendants being female. As for national rankings there is sadly a huge climb to overcome but that's not to say it's impossible.

This topic seemed to be important in and of itself though the delivery was more personal than we'd typically argue, but it seems to me to be more of a question of online etiquette and less about "IRL" interactions. Anyone willing to pay real money to attend an event would have to think twice before risking eviction due to inclement behavior such as harassing a female by virtue of their gender alone. I recall a video of a young girl beating the bag out of veteran players and she got nothing but respect. Granted it was fake (publicity stunt she was a paid actress and the matches were staged) but it just goes to show that this topic's real issue is in dealing with Internet mob mentality and less to do with the smash community's inability to accept females into their ranks.

That said you brought it up so I'll be my typical male self and pry :p what is different about your transitioning? I understand if you really don't want to share.

ZZSamantha

Smash Lord
NNID
NNOOOBB
I believe the concensus agrees with you though I'm not sure to what level it'd have to reach. Perhaps at least 30% saturation or 3 out of every 10 attendants being female. As for national rankings there is sadly a huge climb to overcome but that's not to say it's impossible.

This topic seemed to be important in and of itself though the delivery was more personal than we'd typically argue, but it seems to me to be more of a question of online etiquette and less about "IRL" interactions. Anyone willing to pay real money to attend an event would have to think twice before risking eviction due to inclement behavior such as harassing a female by virtue of their gender alone. I recall a video of a young girl beating the bag out of veteran players and she got nothing but respect. Granted it was fake (publicity stunt she was a paid actress and the matches were staged) but it just goes to show that this topic's real issue is in dealing with Internet mob mentality and less to do with the smash community's inability to accept females into their ranks.

That said you brought it up so I'll be my typical male self and pry :p what is different about your transitioning? I understand if you really don't want to share.
I've naturally got a weird balance of hormones. So, even though I'm still a girl, I ended up with a lot of male traits. I'm currently on the same medicine a trans person would take, so I don't end up looking like C. Falcon when I'm older. I'm not really trans, but I deal with the same stuff. :D

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hahaha thanks for the honesty i actually got a chuckle out of the c. Falcon bit. Well it's good to know wherever you live isn't an issue in terms of getting proper hormone therapy. You'd be surprised just how difficult it can be depending on location.

ZZSamantha

Smash Lord
NNID
NNOOOBB
Hahaha thanks for the honesty i actually got a chuckle out of the c. Falcon bit. Well it's good to know wherever you live isn't an issue in terms of getting proper hormone therapy. You'd be surprised just how difficult it can be depending on location.
Yeah, I've heard stories of people having trouble.

Being a lesbian half-trans 14 year old is harder than the Sheik match-up. :/

Top Bottom