• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can people seriously not do this yet?

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Lets start this off with a simple sentence. DR is RIDICULOUSLY EASY. The fact that our top Yoshi's can't or are unwilling to do it yet annoys me to an extent. Now I'm gonna possibly turn this into a full guide but for now imma just address this.

As you know because we've said it roughly 2 billion times but i'll say it again, YBC is the easiest way to DR. I dont care how long you've been using basic controls or w/e it is you use, making the adjustment doesn't take long. The best way to acclimate is to have a 20 minute FFA with items and lvl 9 cpu's using it. (I'm not even kidding. After like 500 SD's You'll eventually realize that X doesn't make you go up anymore.) Now assuming you have secondarys that also require controller configurations. I'll tell you what i do. I pretend im playing a different game when i use it (Because lets face it you use yoshi, it might as well be a different game for you).

Throwing this out there. I hope that before you read on you would have at least put in 10 minutes of actual DR practice. If you've never tried DR before come back when you do.

Now that we have the simple stuff out of the way imma give you guys a quick crash course on DR. This is simple stuff that people like Scatz expected you all to figure out on your own when you learned how to do it.

There are 5 Basic Motions to DR

Still Standing DR(Dime Stop)
(Input=)

DR moving Forward while Facing Forward
(Input=)

DR moving Forward while Facing Backwards
(Input=)

DR moving Backwards while Facing Forward
(Input=)

DR moving Backwards while Facing Backwards
(Input=)

(Should all be self explanatory but if it isn't i'll add vids at some point)

I didn't include the inputs because i'd hope that people would play with DR for like a day before asking. I'm serious if you play around with it for 20 minutes you will get all 5 of these without realizing.

(I'll add the slightly more advanced motions later if I think it's needed but still i hope people would try the tech before looking here.)

Now here's something i really didn't want to post because if i did people would think thats all DR can do.

Simple Applications!

Dash > DR

From here honestly you guys should see the possibilities, but hey i'll give you a few more.
Dash > Dime Stop > Dash(either direction)
Dash > Dime Stop > (Boost) Pivot Grab
Dash > Dime Stop > Dtilt

These are 3 simple ones that i do. Again idk if i want to put any more.

Anyone here play a sport? Well either way im pretty sure you know what a >> suicide << is. If you didn't well ummm yeah you might need to get out more. ANYWAY a great way to practice DR is to Go to FD and do these Suicides. Try to get at least 3 sets done without messing up.
After a while DR doesn't even take effort anymore.

Yeah guys.....Learn it.... idk what else to do here

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVEyqPXbn8w <-----Scatz explaining YBC again

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
-Gets ready for an explosion of a reply but...-

To me, I really don't see a true use for DR. BUT before you go into explanation about it, I totally know the viable options that DR can easily put into the game and give you.

Now I understand that it change your direction REALLY fast, or sets up crazy mindgames that will allow you to use any attack out of it but I just don't see a use for a Pseudo-Wavedash type attack. I get that it can be useful and whatnot. Maybe it's because I don't want to change my controls (like refuse) and I just can't find a use for it in my playstyle for it to be effective.

Iunno, maybe that's why my Yoshi is liek... sub-par? Lol

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm happy I found my own way to DR because changing GCC Controls won't be a good idea for me too D:

I use Classic Controller Pro with X -> B -> ZR
it's really easy to do if you have down the rythm.
You are very flexible with this one because you can DR Super Jump as well.

DR is too good :3 and it's mad fun to mess arround in training mode.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I changed my controls, I can DR, and I can do it consistenly and use it in battle, but I just need to figure out when to use it and how to apply it the right way. DR dtilt sounds super simple, so I'll start trying that, I use DR fsmash mostly or just plain dimestop in matches.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I changed my controls, I can DR, and I can do it consistenly and use it in battle, but I just need to figure out when to use it and how to apply it the right way. DR dtilt sounds super simple, so I'll start trying that, I use DR fsmash mostly or just plain dimestop in matches.
Well since you don't have a wii, if you want i can tell you a few Uses for DR that i came up with a while back if you honestly want to try to put them in your game.

Anyone who refuses to incorporate DR is a moron.

There, it's official. You're morons.
I think i love you

Text that made me semi rage
So you realize that it gives you alot of good and viable options you realize it helps keep you unpredictable and how it helps your movement.

Now what you basicly said is, I realize how useful and good this tech is and can be, but i don't think its useful.

(See jile's quote)

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
For the 5 types you listed, I'm somewhat confused.

DR moving Forward while Facing Backwards

So he faces left and moves... right? As in back from where he's facing? Or he goes "back" as in left?

The whole directional thing is confusing

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
ummmm idk how to make that any more simple. Forward is whatever direction you're facing initially. So moving forward while facing backwards would basically be going forward then facing the other direction.

So you're like this
>
Then you move forward and turn around making you like this
-----<

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I can't say I find it that useful, but then again that's probably why I'm not a top Yoshi, yeah?

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
ummmm idk how to make that any more simple. Forward is whatever direction you're facing initially. So moving forward while facing backwards would basically be going forward then facing the other direction.

So you're like this
>
Then you move forward and turn around making you like this
-----<
Thanks, I just wasn't sure if the direction was relative to Yoshi or if it was more screen dependant

Scatz

Smash Champion
It's the fact that you people don't realize what it does open up for Yoshi. That's the problem. He's given more grab release options and better ground movement. While the GR options are small, he's given to one that mainly matters (MK) and to some others that slightly matter save for Lucas. Given that he has more ground mobility means a lot more than people understand. His aerial game is good due to our aerial speed allowing us to get out of situations more and chase down easier. This applies with DR because if you were forced to move away from an attack, you can't turn back around (unless you were walking) from mid dash. DR cancels it and at least places you in a more favorable position to maybe not land an attack, but add pressure.

You don't have to be a top Yoshi to see this stuff. You just need to understand what mechanics it is boosting up. To say it is useless is placing it in terms with Infinite Jumping, which is by far abysmal. It's nothing close to that kind of thing.

Airborne

Smash Lord
To me, I really don't see a true use for DR. BUT before you go into explanation about it, I totally know the viable options that DR can easily put into the game and give you.

Now I understand that it change your direction REALLY fast, or sets up crazy mindgames that will allow you to use any attack out of it but I just don't see a use for a Pseudo-Wavedash type attack. I get that it can be useful and whatnot. Maybe it's because I don't want to change my controls (like refuse) and I just can't find a use for it in my playstyle for it to be effective.

Iunno, maybe that's why my Yoshi is liek... sub-par? Lol
You really won't learn how to incorporate DR until you do it yourself. Though the technique has been known for almost 3 whole years, there's only been a handful of people that have picked it up and have actually applied it. I actually prefer DR pivot grab over dash grab in almost every single situation just because it's so f*cking hard to punish.

Learning every technique that your character possesses is that separating factor between the high and top level players of said character because it gives you not only better wisdom on how your character performs in various situations, but it eventually allows you to decide which individual style you wish to create for yourself. The successful yet unique style is what will separate you from the crowd.

I'm happy I found my own way to DR because changing GCC Controls won't be a good idea for me too D:

I use Classic Controller Pro with X -> B -> ZR
it's really easy to do if you have down the rythm.
You are very flexible with this one because you can DR Super Jump as well.

DR is too good :3 and it's mad fun to mess arround in training mode.
DR is just too good in general.

Just start trying to use it in almost all situations in friendlies so that you can decide when to use it yourself. Make up your own uses and share 'em on the boards! ^_^

Anyone who refuses to incorporate DR is a moron.

There, it's official. You're morons.
One of the many reasons why I love Jile. <3

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sounds good. I also need to figure out the DJ ledge cancel timing, when do you start the air attack and which one is it easiest with? Im going to a smashfest this weekend so I'll try this stuff out then.

Top Bottom