• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can i play IC effectively with Nunchuck+Wiimote?

Teh Future

Smash Master
Use a Gamecube controller.

This is coming from someone who used to hate the thing and used a wiimote+chuck. Wiimote sucks. A lot. C-sticking aerials is too good, plus you get smashDI rather than just tap, in addition to a c-stick for smashes which does come in handy, even though I usually use the regular stick+A. The buttons on the GC controller are better spaced so you dont accidentally hit buttons anymore, and it offers more room for customized controls.

Mew2Queen

Smash Rookie
Read the title...

I'm used to the nunchuck+wiimote, I've tried the classic controller but its kinda weird...

And i'm not buying a GC controller.

If i can...What configuration should i use?

And if i must use Classic Controller, what Config should i use then?

-edit-

While i'm here, what does DI mean .-.

I feel like such an idiot...

[Oh and first post!]
make me believe

Dark Kakashi

Smash Ace
lain on DK's name by accident lol:

mew2queen = best name ever? i think so.

also, buy a gc controller or srsly gtfo.

srsly.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Hahaha that just proves that you SHOULDN'T use the wiichuck.
Why make something this difficult when you don't have to?
I tried GC controller today, just to see if it was more effective.

It wasn't. The only reason why I'd pick a GC controller over a Wiichuck in a tournament is because a Wiichuck has to be synched with the Wii every time you have a match.

On another note, did anyone here know that if timed incorrectly, pressing up on the C-stick causes an u-throw? I didn't o_0;

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero

It wasn't. The only reason why I'd pick a GC controller over a Wiichuck in a tournament is because a Wiichuck has to be synched with the Wii every time you have a match.

On another note, did anyone here know that if timed incorrectly, pressing up on the C-stick causes an u-throw? I didn't o_0;
yeah. c stick registers as a fast direction + a button. using up or down on the c stick causes them to throw. the sides, however, don't seem to respond the same way.

D

Deleted member

Good luck with Smash DI, then.
make me believe
And you, get rid of that signature, NAO.

Teh Future

Smash Master
^I quite agree, but unfortunately that's the way it is. You can still be good with wiimote+chuck or classic, but if you want to maximize your potential get a Gamecube controller.

D

Deleted member

^I quite agree, but unfortunately that's the way it is. You can still be good with wiimote+chuck or classic, but if you want to maximize your potential get a Gamecube controller.
Nope, the Classic has the same potential than the GCC, at least IMO, but Wii-chuck really is inferior, just buy a grip for the Classic controller because your hands might start to hurt (Mine did).

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Good luck with Smash DI, then.
Right. Easier synching and smash DI. Two things that you can miss.

Remember, the question asked was not "can I reach max potential with a wiichuck?". The question was "can I play effectively with a wiichuck?", and yes, you can.

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
This thread really makes me sick because of all the GCN controller fanboys bashing this kid for wanting to use the Wiichuck. With D-pad set to smashes and c set to grab, wiichuck still has enough buttons to cover all inputs. You just have to use either tap-jump or a+b. Personally, I use tap-jump, and it doesn't limit me at all, except hobbling is hard. Using a+b=jump as well would overcome this one problem.

yeah. c stick registers as a fast direction + a button. using up or down on the c stick causes them to throw. the sides, however, don't seem to respond the same way.
d-pad smashes on the wiichuck register as pummels, no matter which direction. This makes it easy to charge smashes when grabbing.

wireless controllers allways lags, you give your opponent a handicap playing with a controller like that...
Lies. Wavebirds didn't have very much lag, and wiimotes, which use bluetooth, have exponentially smaller lag. Seriously, you can't measure the amount of lag they have.

When you have a wireless controller, you can let interference come in, with a wire, you protect the transmission of information thus making wired connection safer and faster than wireless connection.

There is some lag to it if the transmission of information from the Wiimote to the sensor bar.
Bluetooth uses a frequency hopping technology, eliminating significant interference, and the sensor bar isn't even used (it registers when you point the wiimote at the screen, not the button presses).

Can you even SDI with Wii-chuck?
With the control stick, duh. And d-pad, if you set it to smashes.

Seriously, people, if you've only used the wiichuck with the standard configuration at a friend's house when you ran out of GCN controllers, don't bash it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Aren't gamecube controllers banned in the US? or was the law suit thing not working?

EDIT: I meant what he said vvvv

Kage Me

Smash Ace
With D-pad set to smashes and c set to grab, wiichuck still has enough buttons to cover all inputs. You just have to use either tap-jump or a+b. Personally, I use tap-jump, and it doesn't limit me at all, except hobbling is hard. Using a+b=jump as well would overcome this one problem.
Or you could set the down D-pad to jump, and the rest of them to smash. Frankly, there's no reason why you couldn't use the control stick and A for a down smash, since you hardly ever use that one in a chaingrab.
That's pretty much what I use, too, except I don't smash with the d-pad. Maybe I should start doing that...

~AceR~

Smash Cadet
Honestly dude, it's like the GCC was MADE for Smash. All the buttons are conventiently located to exactly where you would need them and how often you would use them. Also, no other fighting game works with the thing. -.-

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
yesterday used wiimote+nunchuck. its possible and seems easier to cg for me....just need to get used to the controls but its possible

Little Devil

Smash Cadet
Turn Tap Jump off, turn Shake Smash off. Set D-Pad to:
Up = U-Smash
Side = Side-Smash
Down = Grab
The rest is default. It is very easy to do SH-Aerials, chaingrabs and desynchs. You dont need Dair that much, and dtilt and DSmash can be inputed with motion stick + A. The only problem you will have is charging shmashes while grabbing someone. But you can just hobble and f-smash them, so it isnt a big disadvantage.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
We're stubborn? You guys are the ones that refuse to try something different.
I've tried the Nunchucks before at the first Gamestop tournament and I didn't like because I couldn 't get used to the control stick and the controls were so different. I have trouble beating CPU's in under 7 minutes, so imagine how I play against humans :urg:. I played with the Classic Controller twice and was ok with the buttons, but the controller felt too small. Same with the Wiimote, but I've learned how to use that pretty well. It's because I'm most comfortable with the Gamecube Controller that I use it. I've been using it since Melee for years, and it takes me a lot of time to get used to new control schemes.

I remember when I first started playing Melee about 2 years after it came out and I was barely beating them not only because they knew the game better, but I was still adjusting to the controls. I was too used to the N64 controller. I was like that for months before I finally adapted to the Gamecube controller.

Is charging smashes really that big of a deal? Obviously it's more beneficial for you to have a Climber charge a smash while the other is holding your opponent. It makes you kill them in less time with less throws. You can still finish off your opponents with an uncharged Smash, or a small charged Up-Smash out of an Up-Throw. That is how I've been finishing off my opponent's up until last week.

Point is, you use what your most comfortable with. If you want to use the Nunchucks, then that should be fine. If you aren't confortable with the Nunchucks and using the Ice Climbers, I say you should experiment with the other controls and see how they feel.

Why is this argument still going anyway?

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I mean, the number of people who place top with anything but a gc controller is... well... there isn't a number.
That's because most people who place top have also played Melee, and wanted to keep using a GC controller because that's what they're used to.

Callinater

Smash Rookie
The gamecube controller would be good...

IF THE ANALOG STICK COULD STAY STRONG FOR MORE THAN 3 WEEKS! (Nintendo prints more money for every gc controller you buy DUNDUNDUN)

Top Bottom