• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Fox edge guard in Brawl?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Now that Fox can't shine spike (or at least not nearly as well as he could in Melee) I've been finding it hard to keep anyone of the edge.
His blaster doesn't have any launch or stun power so theres not much point in shooting them and his dair isn't strong enough to spike.

Has anyone found an effective way for fox to edge guard?

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Yeah...with his dair, shine, bair, fair, nair, dsmash, grabbing the ledge, firefox, illusion, Lucien failed at edgeguarding with utilt...

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Fox can edgeguard pretty **** well. But it involves a lot of risk. Also, what A6M said.

Roager

Smash Ace
Fox can edgeguard fine. Just not the same fine as he could in melee. Melee edgeguards don't work very well in not-Melee.

M@v

Subarashii!
A very good(and very unknown tactic)is rising fair for edgeguarding, as your opponents coming back, go off the stage to his general area. when hes in range, smack him using a rising fair AT. It got 5 hits, and will send him up and away from the stage. Use fox illusion to get back on the stage. repeat.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I dislike the fair as an edgeguard as it sends them upwards. Fox's edgeguarding is kinda mediocre in brawl, but he does have a fair amount of ability to do it. I very much prefer the nair for edgeguarding; you can even jump out nair> double jump nair.

If you still need some advice: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188497

side note: fox's shine spike isn't even his largest edgeguarding tool in melee, that's just what you use if your opponent messes up; his bair was a far more versatile edgeguarding move in melee.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I dislike the fair as an edgeguard as it sends them upwards. Fox's edgeguarding is kinda mediocre in brawl, but he does have a fair amount of ability to do it. I very much prefer the nair for edgeguarding; you can even jump out nair> double jump nair.

If you still need some advice: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188497

side note: fox's shine spike isn't even his largest edgeguarding tool in melee, that's just what you use if your opponent messes up; his bair was a far more versatile edgeguarding move in melee.
Quoted for epic truth in all of this.

Rising Dair and nair are Fox's two best edgeguards in Brawl... Bair is decent if they can't avoid it...but it's basically a surpriser... Nair and Dair's lasting hit frames are really nice. and dair is a semi-spike....leading to an edgehog or shine spike on a lot of characters....

And yes, Bair in Melee was much better than shine spike except against like...Ganon...

Just to touch on a different side of this topic, Fox's edgeguarding strat changes pretty dramatically for each character... I can say a technique works....and it will against some character, but others will kill you for it. Against Falco, dair and nair are pretty ****... against Marth... uh... not so much. edgehog is everything against Marth... so yeah, you really have to mix it up according to matchup. Fox does have very good tools for edgeguarding, but they're not universal.

Eventually, I could put something out for general edgeguarding strat against every character...but that's an endeavor...so I don't really feel up to it any time soon. I also don't know every character's rcovery inside and out...so research needs to be done... I know quite a few of them... but still, I'm limited...so it'd have to be a group effort.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
i usually hug the stage or shie spike but most of the time i hug the safest thing to edgegard

Duo55

Smash Ace
I play at higher levels of skill more, and more frequently (ie a few larger tournaments, and with pros from time to time) and I can honestly say, most edge gaurding techs with fox are far to risky against anyone worth a ****. There are three methods I like to use that will get the job done, and if they don't, won't get you gimped ,yourself 80% of the time. First, ofcourse is the shine spike, while it is pretty difficult to hit with most the time, its quite an effective edge guard AGAINST CERTAIN CHARACTERS. Works well on Link, dorf, marth, olimar, and the like. But if your trying to gimp Pit, MK, Diddy, Rob, or those like them with the shine, obviously, your wasting your time, and asking to get gimped yourself. To deal with these winged tards, I find knocking them off the stage(diagonally), quickly turning around, back jump off the stage, wait till they get to the edge of the magnifying area, preform a double jump, and while rising preform a bair for the ko, Dont go to far out ofcourse, if done right, you should nail them with the bair, and be able to return with a side B. (don't try that against MK unless you want to get shuttle looped. Works well on rob and pit though) Last but not least is the edge hog. Self explanitory. Anyway, that works for me, and I've tested it on excellent players. Take it how you want.

kriatevPit

Smash Cadet
edge gaurding is kinda useless in brawl seeing how everyone can basically float back onstage but that makes it more fun to try =P i usually Hug but the occasional Nair and shine is always fun... along with a RAR-Bair but if your lazy [liek i can be] i dont recomend it but just let them float back and shoot at them with your lazer. every bit of damage helps. =]... lol RAR Bair... RAWR (im really an anorexic) BEAR!!!!!

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Now that Fox can't shine spike (or at least not nearly as well as he could in Melee) I've been finding it hard to keep anyone of the edge.
His blaster doesn't have any launch or stun power so theres not much point in shooting them and his dair isn't strong enough to spike.

Has anyone found an effective way for fox to edge guard?

I think people disregard the shine spike simply because it is weaker. It is not useless, I get many kills this way. Also his D air is good enough to "spike," not in the sense that they will be stunned and launched by it, but it still knocks people down and it has its uses in the hands of a good fox.

As for the blaster, I can rarely bring myself to use it.

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
edge gaurding is kinda useless in brawl seeing how everyone can basically float back onstage but that makes it more fun to try =P i usually Hug but the occasional Nair and shine is always fun... along with a RAR-Bair but if your lazy [liek i can be] i dont recomend it but just let them float back and shoot at them with your lazer. every bit of damage helps. =]... lol RAR Bair... RAWR (im really an anorexic) BEAR!!!!!
Metaknight says "hi."

Top Bottom