• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can any of you help a noob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldkeeper

Smash Cadet
I really am not that great at brawl and lose all the time. Can you guys recomend any characters, strategies, or tips, or even links to guides based on your experience.

TP

Smash Master
I recommend you just use Random for awhile until you find a couple characters you're really comfortable with. You may be surprised by the results. After that, go to the character boards of those specific characters and read the stickied guides. That will give you a solid understanding of the character. From there, all you need is practice.

:034:

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Choosing your main is up to yourself and personal preference, what may suit others doesn't necessarily mean it'll suit you.

Heres a thread on how to choose your main.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=189623&page=13

Also you should've made an intro thread and asked your questions there, this thread isn't needed, but your new to the site though and we make mistakes. :) Read the Beginners Handbook and Global Rules to get the gist of things here.

http://www.smashboards.com/announcement.php?f=107&a=130
Global rules

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=93181&page=17
Beginners handbook

Katapultar

Smash Lord
You could fight against lv1, and if you feel comfortable move up to lv2 and so on. But watch out for lv7-9 becuase they have traits that don't make them human like being perfect but they can still be defeated.

Some characters are hard to master, at the top of my head, they would be olimar, ice climbers, jugglypuff, though Im not an expert. There are some easy ones to learn though like Mario or Pit.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Coldkeeper, don't double post. Just edit your previous one.

and seriously choose who you want.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
LOL you don't have to limit yourself to one: I play as Snake, Lucas, Pit, Ice Climbers, Bowser and Toon Link

Also, I have no one to practise with so I use level 6 CPU....

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mario and Pit are extremely easy to learn and that person obviously knows everything about them and they aren't completely wrong.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
An infinite is something that you can just keep doing to rack up damage, DDD's dthrow is an infinite on certain characters like Bowser.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
An infinite is something that you can just keep doing to rack up damage, DDD's dthrow is an infinite on certain characters like Bowser.
I wasn't aware that Dedede's Dthrow is an infinite on Bowser.

I think you mean DK, Mario, Luigi, etc.

Hmmm

Smash Rookie
To pick a main, you have many things to consider.

1) Do I like this character?
2) Do I enjoy playing as this character?
3) How good has this character is done in tournaments? (only if you're looking to play competitively)

As for me, I play Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Ness, and sometimes Fox.
I like and enjoy playing all of these characters. For me, I just picked random characters until I liked one that I enjoyed playing. Ice Climbers are a blast for me becuase I LOVE 0-death chaingrabbing >:D
I also like Yoshi because not many players use him, and if used right, he can be a BEAST!
Ness I mostly use just because I'm farily comfortable playing him.
Fox I play because he is challenging, and fun to play, what with his reflector and Fair and all. ^^

Hope I helped! Happy Smashing! :)

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
Well, my personal timbit would be learning DDD's CG, and for Pikachu, PLEASE DOn'T SPAM DOWN SMASSHH, just space with Fsmash, use UP B to mindgame your opponent, thunder can kill easily(don't get predictable).

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well, my personal timbit would be learning DDD's CG, and for Pikachu, PLEASE DOn'T SPAM DOWN SMASSHH, just space with Fsmash, use UP B to mindgame your opponent, thunder can kill easily(don't get predictable).
Welcome to the site. :)

Dedede has a bad Dsmash, and Pikachu's is even worse. Thunder's just decent.

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the site. :)

Dedede has a bad Dsmash, and Pikachu's is even worse. Thunder's just decent.
Haha Thanks, Dsmash was directed at Pikachu and i know its bad, however lots of beginners tend to spam it at first..., and once they face someone that know how to DI, they are screwed. However if the person that doesn't know how to DI, Dsmash is quite useful. Thunder is amazing once you time the Air Dodge.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Haha Thanks, Dsmash was directed at Pikachu and i know its bad, however lots of beginners tend to spam it at first..., and once they face someone that know how to DI, they are screwed. However if the person that doesn't know how to DI, Dsmash is quite useful. Thunder is amazing once you time the Air Dodge.
Not exactly. It's only useful if sweetspotted, and that's pretty hard to do.

Pikachu and Dedede are both great choices though.

DLite

Smash Rookie
I think you should main as a character that your comfortable with.

I am super-comfy with little TL(Toon Link).
Pikachu is a good character but cant say for sure on starting out with him.
D3 on the other hand, its pretty good. His infinites are a *****, which could work to your advantage if you can use it right. Or until you fight a GOOD Zelda(she can't be infinted unless against a wall)

Phir3

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone suggested watching videos? You should watch pros play, and if you like what you see, try that character. You can pick up tricks and such from watching them, too.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
But if you pick your character off of watching pros play, then youll want to play every character seeing as how pros usually have the ability to make any character look good :laugh:

I would recommend watching vids but only after you have picked a main. Then, as Phir said, you can pick up tricks for your main from watching them play.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The best advice I could give is just keep playing. Learn your defense really good. Practice your rolling and dodges. And learn to save yourself from falls. Defense defense defense!!!! Offense comes naturally. Mastery comes from practice. All of this you do of course after finding your primary player(s). As one poster said practice against the computer at progressing levels only if you have no one to practice against. but watch those last few levels since the computer doesn't act human. Anyway good luck

Edit: of course nothing beats a human opponent. So if you got a friend that plays or have your wii connected to the internet, then that beats a computer opponent and its way better practice

.Marik

is a social misfit
Play MetaKnight.

I guarantee you'll be winning after no time at all.

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
Play MK and make sure that your controller has a solid B button that feels really nice. Because obviously you'll be pushing it alot.
Just kidding.

If you want a good character just go MK or Snake. But you might wanna try some other character because maybe their more fun to you.

When you have picked your favorite characters, read the guides that are located on their boards so you get an idea which strategies and ATs you should practice and then PRACTICE!

And practice against REAL players, not CPUs. And make sure that you have skilled opponents. If you try as hard as you can, then the general rule is how harder they **** you how better your practice is. Online is fine too, you can get so much skill from online practice. Offline is a tad better but ONLY if you have good opponents. If you have not, go online and join the AiB ladder or whatever.

And don't be discouraged if you suck you can always get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom