• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Stick. Good or Bad Habit?

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
I've been using the C-Stick a lot more lately, especially for aerials. However, I feel like I should be using A more. Its been giving me a lot of trouble with SH Double Fair that I just can't seem to get down. Any tips?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
it's not really a "habit", a habit would be spamming moves via a c-stick. there's nothing wrong with using the control scheme that you are most comfortable with.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Using the c-stick gives you more control over your DI b/c you don't have the change the control stick input to do your aerial. This is really important for things like retreating fairs and juggling, and it just flat out gives you more control.

I c-stick every aerial that I can that isn't too awkward and its helped my game a lot.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Over time you just develop a sense of when it's appropriate to use A or C-stick for aerials. Especially with Marth, if I feel I have the time to space I'll generally use the c-stick, or if I'm double jumping to immediate aerial (I'll just use up instead of x/y).

My general philosophy is if I need to get the aerial out RIGHT NOW (ie shdf, reaction aerials when they are close to you) I'll typically use A, at least for the first aerial. Since I jump with Y I can actually C-stick sh double fairs quite easily in both directions, but I still prefer using A when I'm feeling slow.

I c-stick all my aerials (besides nair obv.) from the ledge and ledgehop with down up (gives you time to c-stick any aerial with any spacing you want). I use y when I ledgehop nair or ledge wavedash. It's all whatever you get used to.

V

Smash Ace
If people would learn how to claw grip well there would be no need for the A button except for Nair.

:phone:

NTA

Smash Lord
Claw grip? Is that what Javi used?

I like to use the c-stick with the a button also. Helps me chain together combos a little easier.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Javi claw grips. Dudes a monster. His fingers do weird things when he switched between buttons.

OverLord

Smash Ace
Claw-grip existed since years and people just pops out now 'cause some guy is hella technical with that.

M2K is claw-gripping since ever.

Mango and 'mada don't claw-grip and they win anyway. So don't think your game is gonna do better magically with claw.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Over time you just develop a sense of when it's appropriate to use A or C-stick for aerials. Especially with Marth, if I feel I have the time to space I'll generally use the c-stick, or if I'm double jumping to immediate aerial (I'll just use up instead of x/y).

My general philosophy is if I need to get the aerial out RIGHT NOW (ie shdf, reaction aerials when they are close to you) I'll typically use A, at least for the first aerial. Since I jump with Y I can actually C-stick sh double fairs quite easily in both directions, but I still prefer using A when I'm feeling slow.

I c-stick all my aerials (besides nair obv.) from the ledge and ledgehop with down up (gives you time to c-stick any aerial with any spacing you want). I use y when I ledgehop nair or ledge wavedash. It's all whatever you get used to.
Quoted for truth

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
So people shouldn't use a grip they're comfortable with, just because it's not "necessary"?
No but switching button use if you don't need to messes your game up pretty badly for a while. The only thing I did this with was c-stick right after I started caring about the competitive scene.

NTA

Smash Lord
Claw-grip existed since years and people just pops out now 'cause some guy is hella technical with that.

M2K is claw-gripping since ever.

Mango and 'mada don't claw-grip and they win anyway. So don't think your game is gonna do better magically with claw.
There's no harm in learning different ways to play :(

V

Smash Ace
I've been using only claw grip for over a year now and when I hold a controller normally it feels weird. Its all about what you're used to. I will say this, I claw with everybody for everything and the spacies are MUCH easier to play with claw grip. SHDF is easy to do both directions when clawing. I learned waveshining and SHDL with fox in two days because clawing made it easier. Its all personal preference but I think switching to claw was the single biggest leap of improvement I've ever made. When I switched I was a brawl player and I got hella technical with MK because of it. When I switched back to melee I kept with it and things were much easier to pick up. I even WD with claw grip. I also took the spring out of my L button and it helps too.

:phone:

OverLord

Smash Ace
I actually don't claw all the time, I jump with my index finger just for Rising Fairs, Bairs, ledge-hop aerials, sometimes Dairs OoS and Uairs mostly.

All the other stuff is done with normal grip, I just slide my index from R to Y every time I have to do something from the ones listed above.

I feel very comfortable this way, but I wouldn't suggest it if you don't feel it right for you.

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
I use the c-stick for most of my aerials, but I'm bad at using it for SHDF'ing to the right.

Bing

Smash Master
I think c-stick is great. Its really dependant on what you're doing.

For Marth I c-stick some of my aerials. Especially dairs.
For Fairs, 90% of the time I use the a button.

For Fox, I use the a button for everything but shine bairs(which you cant really use anyways)

For Falco, c-stick everything but uair.

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
I personally use c- stick when dashing with a smash finisher, Second fair after short hop while retreating, after getting jabbed with combination of smashing A or B depending on how much percent i have been given(especially against peach priority HOW TO BEAT ARMADA) and absolute must on dreamland when retreating towards mid map.
EX. when you get jabbed by peach, fox, captain falcon, falco, sheik, ETC... marth is floaty so if your di influences the hit as well MARTHS UP B IS FAST AND IF YOUR REACTION TIME IS FAST AS WELL YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH UP RIGHT AFTER RECOVERY FRAME OF JAB. either way marth is not on ground usually, not great against peach lol, so the c stic can increase odds of pulling out an arieal. ESPECIALLY IF YOUVE GOT THE TIMING down and if your also pusing A and direction of ariel
I also use the c-stick.....oh wait i cant tell yall everything lol. Basically i cover multiple scenerios. I f i can help point you marths in the right direction.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
If it makes any sense, I use CStick for less precise aerials and the A button when I need something to come out on a specific frame. Like SHDF I use the A button for, but if I'm going for a spike, I tend to CStick it.

It's the exact opposite for smashes.

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
I play claw!! try incorporating different times where you find it troublesome to use a button. Example i use the c stick when retreating dash full jump with aireals like bairs. i also use c-stick on my second fair when s-hopping inside a charachters space zone. Lately ive been trying to implement a use for cstick during my out of jab aireals. Throuh my exp i just assume that im getting jabbed twice and time my buttons or cstick with the jab timmings. Its been quite effective :)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Maybe I just have a fat/long thumb, but I never have a problem with instant/rising fairs/dairs using Y and A. I think everyone would agree C-stick is useful for having more control over your movement while doing aerials, i.e. retreating fairs, uairs, etc.
And claw is useful if you're comfortable with it.

Top Bottom