• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
The terminology is something stupid that originated on the east coast don't worry about it =_=

@above - stop sitting in shield so much son

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Fantastic advice against both characters is to avoid being above them.

Don't know much about Puff except dthrow -> stuff (i heard puff can rest out of dthrow -> knee around 40-50% for whatever reason though). Uair and bair are probably your go-to spacing moves. Stomp is high reward if you can get one off (especially if you somehow catch her in the air, cuz her wakeup/tech options are ****).

---

Marth is about getting in that sword range then making him feel very uncomfortable. Basic approaches with nair, knee, or whatever floats your boat, just do your best to not get grabbed because getting grabbed on either side of this matchup sucks. Once you get a grab, dthrow combos into itself until like 10-20% if they don't DI down and away (if they do, it's a tech-chase), uthrow can lead to a nair (dunno exact percents, under 30% though), and uthrow -> uair starts working around 30% iirc.

uthrow -> knee works around 60-90% give or take certain DIs. dthrow -> knee generally only works if they DI in or they DI offstage and not into somewhere they can tech.

side-b can catch marth out of aerials and sloppy dash dances. leads to lots of uairs at low-mid percents. pretty good.

once you get that first hit in, just whatever it takes to hit that mofo unless you know nothing's gonna work. marth's pretty squishy, so they'll feel any hit they take.

EDIT: If what I'm saying's wrong, someone's bound to correct me sooner or later lol

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
gooby pls

10pls
LOL. I appreciate quality meme references.

I'd also be weary of throwing out raptor boosts and dairs against against puff since she is so light she will get away early than you think. You can't afford to drop combos or make non optimal decisions against really any character better than falcon.
Recover high.

Maximize your nonexistent recovery options (Jeff it).

Avoid unsafe moves on shield. You can get jump-thrust rested OoS. Or grabbed.
Be very weary of bair because I'm pretty sure falcon had no good trades with it. Knee could possibly trade but the thing is disjointed as all hell. Maybe uair if you space it right and are at an angle below puff.

:phone:

Windrose

Smash Lord
tips vs puff:
-don't spam grabs especially if she is baiting with crouch
-stomp obvious crouch baits
-up airs lots of up airs, and back airs.
-down throw --> upair at low percents (don't knee or you'll get rested out of it)
-down throw --> knee when she can start dying out of it...obviously stage dependent...but on most stages she should die at around 60-70%...i think...THE KEY IS TO NOT KNEE AT LOW PERCENTS THAT'S WHAT MATTERS.
-if she down throws you, DI AWAY! (if you di in towards jiggly puff, you will get rested
-do not get hit by obvious up tilts, (just like vs spacies), if you do get hit. you better DI the up-tilt and if you need to tech, try to tech away from her.

vs. Marth:
-dash dance camp. bait out punishable moves from marth (ie. dash attack, whiffed grabs, whiffed aerials, etc.)
-punish with grabs of your own out of dash dance and combo marth really hard.
-standard upthrow up air combos. you can up throw to knee from around high 60% to low 90% pretty guaranteed. (that percentage isn't too accurate but in general it's pretty easy to do from 70+ to under 100)
-past 100 onwards, down-throw to knee.
-edge guard with light shield if he already used his second jump. if not, grab ledge or do the isai backair drop thing and get him to up-b onto the stage and knee him or w/e else punish.
-side-b can be good to punish nairs cuz you scoop under his sword swings.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
That's interesting.
Why dash attack? I feel like you can knee almost every time you can dash attack.

I also thought/think Falcon's dash attack was regarded as unsafe. Could you expand on knee at low %? Under what circumstance will kneeing at low percent lead to you getting rested?
Are you talking about kneeing a grounded puff's shield?

Zhea

Smash Ace
That's interesting.
Why dash attack? I feel like you can knee almost every time you can dash attack.

I also thought/think Falcon's dash attack was regarded as unsafe. Could you expand on knee at low %? Under what circumstance will kneeing at low percent lead to you getting rested?
Are you talking about kneeing a grounded puff's shield?

So dash attack is technically faster than knee and is harder to read. Keep in mind it takes falcon 5 frames to get into the air and then 14 frames to actually come out meaning it takes 19 frames to get a hit out. It takes 7 frames to dash attack. Granted a dash attack on shield is a guaranteed grab for the opponent. It's a mix up and it combos into aerials at mid percents.

It's like foward b, high risk high reward when used properly. If you don't want to use it you really aren't missing anything by not doing it.

Windrose

Smash Lord
no i meant punishing MARTH'S dash attacks. marths sometimes approach with spaced dash attack and you can punish it if you bait it out

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
And here's me all ready to tell you I've seen it a million times already
Shame on me

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
****ing smashboards
Man, I was waiting for someone to give some advice for you because I couldn't think of much it just looked unlucky. DJ made a super smart character switch. I thought you played his Samus dang well too, you're movement was just super sexy.

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
tips vs puff:
-don't spam grabs especially if she is baiting with crouch

-down throw --> upair at low percents (don't knee or you'll get rested out of it)

-down throw --> knee when she can start dying out of it...obviously stage dependent...but on most stages she should die at around 60-70%...i think...THE KEY IS TO NOT KNEE AT LOW PERCENTS THAT'S WHAT MATTERS.
Obviously spamming grab is bad but falcon should be able to grab a crouching puff with a dash grab (kinda strict spacing though).

Knee outranges rest plus it should always legitimately combo from downthrow (I remember Magus saying this). Just position yourself properly.

I'm assuming your caps statement about not kneeing at low percents is for the same reason? I disagree again, knee can usually be followed up at low percents. If puff di's down+away then he probably hits the ground and puff has bad getup options so knee is still pretty good.

Windrose

Smash Lord
that's interesting. i guess it is theoretically possible to always knee puff after d-throw without getting rested but how practical is it is my question now.

I always see falcons upair jigglypuff at low percents but rarely knee (if they do, they usually get rested. such as SS v Hbox). Now either they don't know the proper spacing, they screwed it up because it's hard to do or something else... There's gotta be a reason falcons choose to upair at low percents. Maybe the risk reward is just not worth it going for the knee at low percents. And up air can combo into stuff anyways (but so can knee if they DI bad...)

But anyways, regarding practicality...Ganon can theoretically chain grab falco according to magus, but that's not practical to do in a match. I'm wondering if this is similar.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
iirc there is a weird 10% range where puff can rest falcon out of dthrow -> knee (40-50?).

i think most falcons just op for uairs at low percents because they lead more reliably into stuff at lower percents than knee.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Man, I was waiting for someone to give some advice for you because I couldn't think of much it just looked unlucky. DJ made a super smart character switch. I thought you played his Samus dang well too, you're movement was just super sexy.
yea i just figured i couldn't get much help from smashboards that i couldn't from myself.

i wish i didnt play so bad in losers g2/3 tho. :/

Brookman

Smash Hero