• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
BF is good because it makes her do grapple much more predictably

FD is good because up-b OoS becomes worse if you can smash DI and untumble

If you're having problems vs Samus because of CC just run up and grab her
You don't get a followup if she has half a brain but it's free damage if she's whoring the **** out of CC / shield -> upb

flantasticflan

Smash Journeyman
i think the best stages vs samus would be yoshi's or fod since you got walls and small smash zones. i think all falcon's should get good at fod, its easy to mess up on but baiting cp's from other people they're gonna expect you to cp fountain

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I get so frustrated dropping combos I know I'm capable of. WARNING: Watch out for flying controllers. I normally keep them low though, like a low chuck.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
In that sense, I kind of dislike playing against Samus because it's hard to judge when a followup works on her or not.

Uair almost never lets you down though. Unless you're trying to kill, ofc.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Yea from what I understand there's almost nothing guaranteed on a Samus. I think if we DI correctly dthrow knee is never guaranteed IIRC?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah Dthrow blows vs Samus it's rather unfortunate for us heroes when it comes to fighting the low tier villains

Uthrow for position is honestly probably the best option

Nakamaru

Smash Master
After watching Beast 3 videos of Jeapie I noticed when he shield drops his shield stays in neutral position. Everytime I do it (when i do it. Bleh) my shield is either tilted left or right. This gets me shield poked a lot (mainly in teams). So i have to wonder if there is a method to consistently shield drop without moving your shield. Or maybe jeapie is just a major badass.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
After watching Beast 3 videos of Jeapie I noticed when he shield drops his shield stays in neutral position. Everytime I do it (when i do it. Bleh) my shield is either tilted left or right. This gets me shield poked a lot (mainly in teams). So i have to wonder if there is a method to consistently shield drop without moving your shield. Or maybe jeapie is just a major badass.
Care to elaborate? I can consistently shield drop when I'm playing well or not nervous. How do you end up tilting your shield? I just press down to shield drop, but it would be nice if there were a way to angle your shield down and shield drop.

While we are on the topic, are there aerials that are punishable from below if you do shield drop out of light shield? I saw Jeapie shield drop to punish Sheik's aerials every time. Does that work at all with light shield?

gravy

Smash Ace
Yah I also have no problem shield dropping without tilting my shield. You're probably going a bit too slow if you are having this problem. As far as light shielding, I'm not really sure how it affects the shield drop, but I'll try testing it out.

gravy

Smash Ace
I have to be honest, the advice that helped me the absolute most (at this point I would consider myself very proficient at shield dropping) is to use the same motion you use to crouch on a platform. If you go practice crouching on a platform, and then do it with your shield up, it works marvelously.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
How I shielddrop.

method 1 :
do an aireal on a platform
L cancel it,
before it l-cancels hold all the wayleft ( or right ) .
Shield
Then press down while holding it all the way left ( or right )

Method 2 :

The same but then while dashing left or right. Keep holding it that was , press shield, press down.

Now im wondering how axe does it. Anyone knows?
Also my controller is the only controller i can do it consistent with.

gravy

Smash Ace
Yah in my opinion shield dropping is one of those things that takes a lot of dedicate practice to get a hang of.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
In practicing tech skill practice in the last 2 days, I've had it happen 3 times where I run off the stage and wall jump, as if I'm doing the doraki jump, but I don't dash attack. Any thoughts? It was with me dash dancing near the ledge and maybe one time I was trying to do something like pivot ledge grab. It'd be cool to do this on demand so I'd like to try to figure out how it happens

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have a reliable method for punishing falco's LHDL.

I'm thinking about trying the shield first laser, grab before the second, but previous attempts to do this were met with failure. Could be that I'm mistiming it though, so I'll try again unless someone has a better method for it.

Zhea

Smash Ace
CC Grab, CC uair, CC nair, CC f smash, full hop knee, full hop bair, full hop dair. Keep in mind lasers don't have a ton of stun you could even shield the first laser and grab him. I think shield bair/uair covers a lot of his options at the edge.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Side platforms can be helpful for hitting him out of it without getting hit by the lasers.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, who is the shortest character you can hit with a rising up air? I'm havin a lot of trouble doing it against fox, I know it's possible, but holy hell is it hard to do consistently. Is it a good enough thing to do that I should continuing practicing doing it, or is it not useful enough to be worthwhile? Thanks

dkuo

Smash Lord
its definitely doable vs fox although i believe you have to be at the right spacing for it to work
the closer hitbox will start above fox's head and whiff, but the farther one can nick his head
have you tried buffering up during jumpsquat lag and hitting A after? i know that helped me with instant uairs a lot

as for applicability im no falcon main but i hear that instant uairs are important in general

gravy

Smash Ace
Yah you definitely need to be able to instant uair. You need access to all of falcons tools, and instant uair can be irreplaceable in combos and the neutral game.

gravy

Smash Ace
Well, it can be used a fast oos option with shoryuken like properties, and in general it's a great anti air. There are also times when you can use it in combos, like for example, you can uthrow marth at certain percents to an instant uair regrab, or use instant uair to carry a fast caller across the screen.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
So, thanks to a huge smash session, I learned a lot of new stuff that I never thought of before (cuz I'm a noob, so it's obvious I wouldn't have thought of stuff before).

One question though, what do you guys think is the best way to avoid getting utilt/uair combo'd on platforms by marth? I just recently discovered ASDI down on the platform (I think that's what it is when I hold down on my control stick anyway), and I think it helped me a lot, but I'm not sure it's the best option.

Can anyone tell me how useful this ASDI down thing is and if there are any better options in this situation (or more specific uses of ASDI down + tech)?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If you get hit by Utilt, id try to SDI it away.. that way Marth cannot follow up with another aerial. Like if Marth is facing left while doing utilt you DI towards his back (diagonally right downwards or upwards).. Also be mindful about being off-stage, you dont want to go too far out there lol.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
Well, it can be used a fast oos option with shoryuken like properties, and in general it's a great anti air. There are also times when you can use it in combos, like for example, you can uthrow marth at certain percents to an instant uair regrab, or use instant uair to carry a fast caller across the screen.
yes, im aware of its general uses, but ive heard frequent mention of its merits against falco when under pressure, and v puff and peach, but there isnt enough specific documentation of its utility in those matchups, as you obviously cant just throw it out willy-nilly

gravy

Smash Ace
Well, you can use it against falco is he tries to laser grab, it will stuff the grab if timed correctly, and you can fade back with it to make it pretty safe. It can also be used to contest falco when he's coming down on you (if you're ok with a trade, which sometimes you should be) and for that matter the same applies to any character. Uair is such a strong anti air that you can really abuse it to stuff aerial approaches.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
it's not impossible, I do it against fox often. it just has to be spaced right, and it helps if he doesn't see it coming.
Really, a `running/dashing` fox?

Options are limited in my opinion when fox comes running towards you going for either a nair,grab,shine,or dash attack, or reading the roll.

If you can hit a running fox with instant uair however, it makes things a lot easier.

Most of the time i go for jabs. Ending into 1 or 2 jabs to getting cc shined.

Short hop back air trades with the nair mostly.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
First hit of the nair will miss a dashing fox. if you fastfall it and hit only the first hit of the nair, you end up getting shield->combo`d or cc->combo`d.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
that sucks. you could also be really fancy and pivot knee if you're reading correctly.
Then again, I am at the phase where I'm just throwing things out to see what works and trying to develop my own playstyle though.

also; great set vs overtriforce. it was really inspiring.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
i been practicing my falcon alot lately..and using it more...i love this character im thinking about main-ing him for like 1 month and see how i like it lol....but 1 question guys?

is it always so horrible when you get hit?

, cause ill do fine with falcon until they get that solid hit then im ****ed ..its like so hard to get away from spacies ....,shiek , marth etc and combos when your falcon , then recovery makes me sad 90% of the time i die and cant come back

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
yeah falcon sucks, getting hit is awful, and his recovery is probably the easiest to gimp after ganon
I think to win with falcon you just have to be better than whoever you're fighting, so just work on that and you might be alright.

I should include that he is still by far the character with the most swag

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Falcon's recovery is terrible, but there are a lot of subtle ways to use it better. SS, Hax, S2J are noticeably better than other players at recovering.

Top Bottom