• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth Revealed as Final Character in First Fighters Pass

Byleth_Revealed.jpg

Nintendo finished off Fighters Pass #1 with Byleth, the main protagonist of Fire Emblem: Three Houses! Byleth releases January 28th alongside a host of content.

Byleth brings Garreg Mach Monastery to the battle. Garreg Mach Monastery operates in the same vein as Castle Siege, with multiple portions of the stage taking place in castles or civilian-populated areas, and flashy transitions to the next portion. We don’t expect Garreg to be tournament legal in any capacity.

Byleth’s moveset centers around the various weapons original to Three Houses, with each weapon corresponding to a different direction:
  • The Sword of the Creator is used for up tilt, smash attack and special, with a whiplike extending blade like Ivy from Soul Calibur.
  • Side attacks are represented by the long-reaching Areadbhar spear which has a tipper just like Marth.
  • Down is the Aymr staff whose down b can be charged up like Dedede’s for massive damage at full charge and super armor.
  • Neutral corresponds to the Failnaught bow whose incredibly fast arrows can only be fired only after a slight charge that can be shield canceled. It also has a powered-up version with no cancel but much more power.

Byleth also brings along eleven new music tracks! New remixes are denoted by an asterisk, while OSTs are unmarked. They are:
  • *Fire Emblem: Three Houses Main Theme (JP)
  • *Fire Emblem: Three Houses Main THeme
  • Fodlan Winds Blue Skies and a Battle
  • Tearing Through Heaven
  • Chasing Daybreak
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • Paths That Will Never Cross
  • The Apex of the World
  • The Edge of Dawn
  • The Edge of Dawn (JP)

In addition to Byleth, Sakurai included five new Mii Fighter costumes! They are:
  • Altair, from Assassin’s Creed
  • Rabbid, from Rabbids
  • X, from Mega Man X
  • Megaman.EXE, from Mega Man
  • Cuphead, from Cuphead

Finally, Sakurai wraps up the Direct with a follow-up to his previous announcement. While this is the end of the original Fighters Pass, there will be a Fighters Pass Volume 2 consisting of six characters! This Fighters Pass will be available for pre-purchase when Byleth releases on January 28th, though the contents have already been determined.

Last edited:
Will "Octrockandroll" Bertazzo Lambert

Comments

Yes. That is what meaningful discussion is.

Within the Smash community regarding FE, I feel as though reasonable discussion isn't something people want to have. It feels different.
Can't argue with you there. Other character picks disappoint, but it seems FE characters outright "burn" people. Honestly, I don't have anything against FE, or Byleth as a character. It's not my thing, but lots of Smash characters come from franchises that "aren't my thing." It's a multitude of factors that go behind Byleth and FE, IMO. The blind purchases. The tedious speculation cycle and its agonizing dry periods. The anticipation (one can't help but, erroneously perhaps, feel that the longer the wait and the more mysterious the character, the bigger or more earth shattering the name). The third "anti-climax" in a row. Which now that I type it out sounds a lot like fatigue more than anything. On the whole, what I've gathered is that even those who hate...absolutely HATE this reveal...say they would have been pretty much fine with it had Byleth not been last. If FE fans can take away anything from this, it's that there's more actual anger at the order and reveal than at the character itself.

I love this character. Out all the DLC, I will admit Byleth is the most hype character for me out the pack. It makes me sad seeing all the hate they are getting. ( Though I understand the reason ). I feel Byleth will grow on people. I love the female's design and render.

Last edited:
Can't argue with you there. Other character picks disappoint, but it seems FE characters outright "burn" people. Honestly, I don't have anything against FE, or Byleth as a character. It's not my thing, but lots of Smash characters come from franchises that "aren't my thing." It's a multitude of factors that go behind Byleth and FE, IMO. The blind purchases. The tedious speculation cycle and its agonizing dry periods. The anticipation (one can't help but, erroneously perhaps, feel that the longer the wait and the more mysterious the character, the bigger or more earth shattering the name). The third "anti-climax" in a row. Which now that I type it out sounds a lot like fatigue more than anything. On the whole, what I've gathered is that even those who hate...absolutely HATE this reveal...say they would have been pretty much fine with it had Byleth not been last. If FE fans can take away anything from this, it's that there's more actual anger at the order and reveal than at the character itself.
I even think that's disingenuous though. The people who don't want more Fire Emblem characters wouldn't have been more satisfied had Byleth not been last. Criticizing the order is another way to justify their extreme negative reaction.

If Byleth had been first, it would've been a terrible way to start the pass, not hype enough for TGAs, etc.

If Byleth had been second, it would've been a huge letdown after Joker; Nintendo went flashy for the first one to get you to buy the pass, then followed up with someone you didn't want after they already got your money.

If Byleth had been third, it would've been an anti-hype bad E3 reveal, confirming the notion that Nintendo fills Smash spots with promotional characters only for FE, after Roy and Corrin got similar treatment.

If Byleth had been fourth, it would have been for similar promotional reasons because of the coming TGAs, and Byleth's inclusion was meant to garner more buzz and create more sales; not to mention, not nearly hype enough for the Christmas season when Smash had to compete with so many other games.

Like, it's not hard to find the reasons people would have clung to in order to justify hating Byleth with such loudness. The order isn't really what they're criticizing. Brawl's last reveal on the dojo was Olimar, and Smash 4's last reveal was Corrin. Smash has never ended on the biggest surprise or hypest character. Ever.

I've been seeing a lot of people calling out the team for keeping the contents of the Fighters Pass secret while also selling it for preorder. I'm not going to go into weather that's ethical or shady since that's not my conversation, but if you bought the Fighters Pass and are disappointed that you have to purchase Byleth, it's hard for me to believe you didn't see this as a possibility going in. Sure, Nintendo sold the Fighters Pass, but you made the decision to spend the money. That's on you.
People purchased the Fighter Pass on Nintendo's good faith. This simply means that if the second Fighter Pass must be purchased, some consumers may be reluctant. While you can blame consumers, the reluctance to purchase another pass doesn't bode well for Nintendo.

People purchased the Fighter Pass on Nintendo's good faith. This simply means that if the second Fighter Pass must be purchased, some consumers may be reluctant. While you can blame consumers, the reluctance to purchase another pass doesn't bode well for Nintendo.
I don't really understand this argument, and I've seen it a lot.

If you're buying a pass of five unknown characters, you're doing so blindly. If any of those characters aren't ones you like, that's on you. You bought it.

Further, the talk of people just now deciding the pass isn't worth it implies that everyone was satisfied with all the other four picks and Byleth just now screwed it up. And I can tell you from modding the Ultimate section of the boards that that is so not the case.

This pass drew from five completely different companies, eras and genres; people are going to like or not like each pick on a personal level, and if they expected them all to tailor to their tastes when they bought the pass, well. That's foolish.

And a fool and his money are soon parted.

I even think that's disingenuous though. The people who don't want more Fire Emblem characters wouldn't have been more satisfied had Byleth not been last. Criticizing the order is another way to justify their extreme negative reaction.
I disagree. Would people who dislike Fire Emblem have been happy with Byleth at E3 along with Banjo in place of Hero? No, but Banjo, Terry, and lastly Hero would have softened the blow considerably. And as I mentioned, it isn't just the order. It's the expectation, erroneous or not, that the other four characters bred (I don't think it was unreasonable to expect Fighter 5 to follow suit with the other four). It's the lack of news going into Fighter Five, the mystery surrounding it and the stoking of hype.

Whether you think the reasons are valid or not (we can rationalize anything is invalid if we choose to ignore the fine details), you can't deny that if Nintendo was trying to maximize confidence in Pass 2, they...well, they botched the landing a bit. They've been botching the landing since Smash4, if not Brawl. Obviously, the third or fourth time that happens will result in more of a reaction than the first.

Like, it's not hard to find the reasons people would have clung to in order to justify hating Byleth with such loudness.
In regards to the alternate scenarios you've presented, they ignore again that making Byleth not only Fighter 5, but also being particularly cloak and dagger about it and stoking hype plays into this, too. Going into the Pass, people expected a Three Houses rep. As the other fighters were released little by little, those expectations became less and less. What's better: A punch you're expecting and can then prepare for, or a sucker punch? It's the same sort of mindset, IMO. People feel like they've been intentionally tricked, for a number of reasons. It's not just a single reason.

The order isn't really what they're criticizing. Brawl's last reveal on the dojo was Olimar, and Smash 4's last reveal was Corrin. Smash has never ended on the biggest surprise or hypest character. Ever.
And that's troubling for a different set of reasons, but you're right. It's not the order. Or, it's not just the order. It's that the extra-hyped, super-secret last character of a Fighter's Pass that up to this point was filled with characters representing new franchises that helped unfamiliar gamers learn about games they knew nothing about before (happened to me with Persona and Dragon Quest, and it was fun) turned out to be the eighth character of a franchise that just so happens to have a new game out. That's the criticism I see, regardless of what the masses are yelling about specifically. FE is the straw, not the camel.

If you're buying a pass of five unknown characters, you're doing so blindly. If any of those characters aren't ones you like, that's on you. You bought it.
Right. I don't think anyone is avoiding responsibility, necessarily. It's not like Nintendo reached into my pocket and pulled out money for the Pass. That said, my expectations for a potential FE character lowered the further into the Pass we actually got--I know I'm not alone in that. And ending the Pass on an FE character was a choice on Nintendo's part. In my opinion, it was an anti-climax. Do I want further such anti-climaxes? Is subsidizing another potential FE character worth the savings of about $5.00 to me? Do I really feel like adding $30 to Nintendo's account on January 28th, so that my $30 can earn them interest when I don't really like the way they've handled the roll out overall of Pass 1?

Further, the talk of people just now deciding the pass isn't worth it implies that everyone was satisfied with all the other four picks and Byleth just now screwed it up. And I can tell you from modding the Ultimate section of the boards that that is so not the case.
Well, I mean, people just now found out there actually will be another Fighter's Pass, so it's not like we've known about it since Banjo and are just now deciding it's a bad idea. But let's presume we had for the sake of argument.

In the movie industry, the fate of a sequel is often decided on the strength of what came before. If a movie does well, if ticket sales are good enough, the studio will likely green light a sequel. This makes sense to movie studios. But let's say you, the consumer, buy a ticket to see the first movie. You see it, you like 80% of it, but the ending sucked. The movie really botched the landing. Well, you already bought a ticket, so the studio thinks you liked 100% of it...but you didn't. And maybe when the sequel is announced, you think about that mediocre ending. You think about the price of a ticket these days. You think about the projected run time...the first movie was an hour and a half, but the sequel is going to be twice as long (and you remember the pacing of the first film, which felt long enough at an hour and a half). If you decide that it doesn't make sense for you to buy a ticket and the first thing that comes to mind in conversation is that the ending sucked in the first movie (really, the idea that started the ball rolling in your head here), are you being unreasonable? Of course not. No one would seriously argue that.

So why argue that people are being unreasonable when they're doing a serious cost/benefit analysis of purchasing a second blind buy Fighter Pass and citing the strength of 20% (the ending, specifically) of the first Pass as the reason?

This pass drew from five completely different companies, eras and genres; people are going to like or not like each pick on a personal level, and if they expected them all to tailor to their tastes when they bought the pass, well. That's foolish.
Except if you're a business, you'd better hope you satisfy as many people as you can, as you are trying to maximize profits. And Nintendo botched the landing. Besides, as has been said, no one expected the first Pass to cater to them specifically; that's a straw man. No wonder you are having a hard time finding people's justification valid...you're arguing against an argument no one made. Hero and Joker in no way catered to me, nor did it cater to many others. But Persona and Dragon Quest also don't hold 1/10 of the Smash roster real estate. *shrugs*

I can't personally give you any justification besides not wanting to reward what I deem to be, in hindsight, a lackluster season beyond just the five characters themselves (even if the ending was IMO quite bad for all the reasons I've mentioned). I don't owe Nintendo a purchase of Pass 2. If they want my money for all six characters, they'll have to make each pique my interest whenever they deem it appropriate to inform me about who or what each character will be. That's just how consumerism works.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Last edited:
I consider myself a big fan of Smash and appreciate the work that has gone into this, however I will definitely not be purchasing the next fighter's pass until after I know I will like the characters. Banjo & Kazooie was the only character I actually care about in the slightest, and I actively disliked the other four series beforehand.

Personally would have been happier with literally anyone but Byleth. Even a joke character could have brought something new and interesting. This multiple weapon gimmick just isn't doing it for me. IMO also could have done the concept in a way more interesting with many other characters (Monster Hunter comes to mind.)

You're purchasing with the impression that it'll be worth it. Now, I bought the Fighter Pass because I want all the characters, even if they're garbage. Terry was the only character who seemed interesting. I want to familiarize myself with the options characters have, and rather than wait for every reveal, I wanted the Fighter Pass.

Frankly, these five weren't all that great, and it's not because I was unfamiliar or unaware of the series. (I was playing Super Mario Bros. for the NES when back in the late 80s.) They just didn't cater to my interests. Thus, unlike the more recent vocal players, I was already vocal after Joker's reveal.

Anyway, even if you want to say others are blind or fools for complaining now, well, I give you a saying in return: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Ethan Michael Crane Ethan Michael Crane I didn't realize you said that saying before me. That's funny!

Last edited:
Final Dream Roster If I were directing the Sequel to Ultimate (By Series)
* = New Character

Mario: Mario, Luigi, Dr Mario, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser
Bowser Jr, Piranha Plant, *Shy Guy, *Paper Mario, *Waluigi, Captain Toad,
*King Boo, *Geno

Wario: Wario *Ashley

Yoshi: Yoshi, *Kamek

Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, *Dixie Kong

Legend Of Zelda: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Toon Link
*Toon Zelda/Tetra, *Midna/Imp Midna, *Skull Kid, *Lana (Hyrule Warriors),
*Revali

Kirby: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, *Bandana Dee, *Adeleine

Metroid: Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Dark Samus, Ridley, *Sylux

Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Wolf, *Krystal

Kid Icarus: Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit, *Hades

Pokemon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Pichu, Lucario,
Greninja, Incineroar, *Zoroark, *Rillaboom, *Dragapult

Fire Emblem: Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Corrin, Blythe,
*Black Knight

Pikmin: Olimar, *Alph

F-Zero: Captain Falcon, *Black Shadow

Splatoon: Inkling, *Octoling

ARMS: *Spring Man, *Ribbon Girl

Earthbound: Ness, Lucas, *Ninten

Xenoblade: Shulk, *Elma, *Rex

Animal Crossing: Villager, Isabelle, *Tom Nook

Super Smash Bros: Mii Gunnar, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter

Nintendo Independent Series:
Wii Fit: Wii Fit Trainer,
Duck Hunt: Duck Hunt
Punch Out: Little Mac,
R.O.B: R.O.B.
Game & Watch: Mr. Game & Watch
The Legendary Starfy: *Starfy
Excite Bike: *Excite Biker,
Balloon Fight: * Balloon Fighter,
Chibi-Robo: *Chibi Robo
Dillon's Rolling Western: *Dillon

Third Party Characters:
Sonic (Sonic), *Shadow (Sonic), *Tails (Sonic),
Ryu (Street Fighter) Ken (Street Fighter),
Simon (Castlevania), Richter (Castlevania),
Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Cloud (Final Fantasy),
Bayonetta (Bayonetta),
Mega Man (Mega Man),
Snake (Metal Gear),
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
*Rayman (Rayman)
*Bomberman (Bomberman),
*Isaac (Golden Sun)
*Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
*Wonder Red: (The Wonderful 101)

Free DLC:
Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie),
Hero (Dragon Quest
Joker (Persona)
Terry (Fatal Fury)
*Crash (Crash Bandicoot),
*Lloyd (Tales Of Symphonia)
*Vyse (Skies Of Arcadia),
*Shantae (Shantae)
*Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

Last edited:
The worst part is how smug Sakurai is: he knows people hate this, so he has to throw in the "too many swords/don't get excited" commentary, when in reality the problem is just too many FE characters (this goes without saying). Everything with him pining up the FE posters and the laughter was so out of touch and cringe. This presentation was literally just a fangasm on stream.

Edit: The guy literally couldn't even reveal Banjo and K. Rool (heavy requests) without trolling the audience cause he never would've chose them had it no been for the fan outcry.

Last edited:
I haven't been quiet about Byleth. And it seems I'm not exactly in the minority- Byleth is Smash's most divisive character yet. I'm not alone in thinking that a lot of character choices lately have been VERY questionable- ESPECIALLY when it comes to DLC. Generally, oft-requested or well-remembered characters are much better received than promotional ones. I guess our expectations are higher when it comes to characters we're expected to pay $5 for each.

There wasn't a lamer possible way this pass could have ended.

Also this Ethan Michael Crane guy is just straight up body bagging shills in this thread. Can't remember the last time I saw people who want to silence any negative opinion get destroyed so badly. Keep doing God's work man.

Last edited:
I disagree. Would people who dislike Fire Emblem have been happy with Byleth at E3 along with Banjo in place of Hero? No, but Banjo, Terry, and lastly Hero would have softened the blow considerably. And as I mentioned, it isn't just the order. It's the expectation, erroneous or not, that the other four characters bred (I don't think it was unreasonable to expect Fighter 5 to follow suit with the other four). It's the lack of news going into Fighter Five, the mystery surrounding it and the stoking of hype.

Whether you think the reasons are valid or not (we can rationalize anything is invalid if we choose to ignore the fine details), you can't deny that if Nintendo was trying to maximize confidence in Pass 2, they...well, they botched the landing a bit. They've been botching the landing since Smash4, if not Brawl. Obviously, the third or fourth time that happens will result in more of a reaction than the first.

In regards to the alternate scenarios you've presented, they ignore again that making Byleth not only Fighter 5, but also being particularly cloak and dagger about it and stoking hype plays into this, too. Going into the Pass, people expected a Three Houses rep. As the other fighters were released little by little, those expectations became less and less. What's better: A punch you're expecting and can then prepare for, or a sucker punch? It's the same sort of mindset, IMO. People feel like they've been intentionally tricked, for a number of reasons. It's not just a single reason.

And that's troubling for a different set of reasons, but you're right. It's not the order. Or, it's not just the order. It's that the extra-hyped, super-secret last character of a Fighter's Pass that up to this point was filled with characters representing new franchises that helped unfamiliar gamers learn about games they knew nothing about before (happened to me with Persona and Dragon Quest, and it was fun) turned out to be the eighth character of a franchise that just so happens to have a new game out. That's the criticism I see, regardless of what the masses are yelling about specifically. FE is the straw, not the camel.

Right. I don't think anyone is avoiding responsibility, necessarily. It's not like Nintendo reached into my pocket and pulled out money for the Pass. That said, my expectations for a potential FE character lowered the further into the Pass we actually got--I know I'm not alone in that. And ending the Pass on an FE character was a choice on Nintendo's part. In my opinion, it was an anti-climax. Do I want further such anti-climaxes? Is subsidizing another potential FE character worth the savings of about $5.00 to me? Do I really feel like adding $30 to Nintendo's account on January 28th, so that my $30 can earn them interest when I don't really like the way they've handled the roll out overall of Pass 1?

Well, I mean, people just now found out there actually will be another Fighter's Pass, so it's not like we've known about it since Banjo and are just now deciding it's a bad idea. But let's presume we had for the sake of argument.

In the movie industry, the fate of a sequel is often decided on the strength of what came before. If a movie does well, if ticket sales are good enough, the studio will likely green light a sequel. This makes sense to movie studios. But let's say you, the consumer, buy a ticket to see the first movie. You see it, you like 80% of it, but the ending sucked. The movie really botched the landing. Well, you already bought a ticket, so the studio thinks you liked 100% of it...but you didn't. And maybe when the sequel is announced, you think about that mediocre ending. You think about the price of a ticket these days. You think about the projected run time...the first movie was an hour and a half, but the sequel is going to be twice as long (and you remember the pacing of the first film, which felt long enough at an hour and a half). If you decide that it doesn't make sense for you to buy a ticket and the first thing that comes to mind in conversation is that the ending sucked in the first movie (really, the idea that started the ball rolling in your head here), are you being unreasonable? Of course not. No one would seriously argue that.

So why argue that people are being unreasonable when they're doing a serious cost/benefit analysis of purchasing a second blind buy Fighter Pass and citing the strength of 20% (the ending, specifically) of the first Pass as the reason?

Except if you're a business, you'd better hope you satisfy as many people as you can, as you are trying to maximize profits. And Nintendo botched the landing. Besides, as has been said, no one expected the first Pass to cater to them specifically; that's a straw man. No wonder you are having a hard time finding people's justification valid...you're arguing against an argument no one made. Hero and Joker in no way catered to me, nor did it cater to many others. But Persona and Dragon Quest also don't hold 1/10 of the Smash roster real estate. *shrugs*

I can't personally give you any justification besides not wanting to reward what I deem to be, in hindsight, a lackluster season beyond just the five characters themselves (even if the ending was IMO quite bad for all the reasons I've mentioned). I don't owe Nintendo a purchase of Pass 2. If they want my money for all six characters, they'll have to make each pique my interest whenever they deem it appropriate to inform me about who or what each character will be. That's just how consumerism works.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
If you had posted something like this onto Twitter, you would be just be plain bombarded with "H O E S M A D" replies.

Last edited:
I'm so happy Seteth and Flayn made it onto the Garreg Mach stage :) I'm just sad Hubert was deemed too ugly for the Black Eagles cameo. F

I gotta say that Garreg Mach stage looks way better in Smash than it is in Three Houses.

As far as the cameos, I’m happy that Dorothea, Ingrid and Hilda are in there.

That's because Twitter is filled with literal children.
I for one find it kind of fitting considering this is the 3rd DLC character people have gotten mad about. Though it's definitely overblown and overused now. I still like "Hoes Fatally Furious" with Terry

Last edited:
I for one find it kind of fitting considering this is the 3rd DLC character people have gotten mad about. Though it's definitely overblown and overused now. I still like "Hoes Fatally Furious" with Terry
My main problem with it (if it can be called that, as I'm not losing any sleep over it) is that it's being applied to different characters by different people. Those who hated Terry (by all accounts a unique, though somewhat irrelevant, character from a storied/legendary franchise and, until that point, unrepresented company) aren't likely the same who have a problem with the eighth Fire Emblem character. Beyond that, "hoes mad" just isn't a counterargument for anything. It's barely a meme. It's an unimaginative dismissal of potentially legitimate gripes, and all it does is remind me of how common core has failed our youth. So in that way, I suppose it should keep me up at night...

Last edited:
I'm not even going to watch it because I already know it's going to argue from a place of straw men, non sequitors, and personal bias. Also, the initial image is quite inappropriate.

Here's a wacky idea for those who want to shove their baffling love of Byleth down everyone's throats:

Come up with counter-arguments--legitimate, actual counter-arguments--to what's been cited as reasons for why Byleth was a bad idea. Or else just accept that not everyone is going to be on your team on this one. "Nanny nanny boo boo" isn't a legitimate counter-argument. If that and meaningless buzzwords are all you've got (like "ungrateful," when again, no one got these for free), take the L and stop embarrassing yourself.

The only thing worse than a mad hoe is a pompous one who can't string two words together without sounding like they've suffered a major head injury.

Last edited:
Top Bottom