• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Happy new year everyone.

Here is to hoping that cashcom will stop being a jerk and make a new Megaman game, or at least give him to Nintendo.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
IMG_07072.jpg

Happy New Year Everyone. scannerwasbroken

shapular

Smash Ace
What do you guys think of Mega Man as a doubles character? I'm thinking about picking him up just for doubles. Would he work well with Little Mac? What are the best customs for doubles?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
What do you guys think of Mega Man as a doubles character? I'm thinking about picking him up just for doubles. Would he work well with Little Mac? What are the best customs for doubles?
I loooove Mega Man as a doubles character. He kind of fills that Wario type niche in that he's decently heavy and can kill well. Also, your partner can cover the end lag from your most powerful moves while you can do the same by disrupting people who attack your opponent from a distance. Saving your teammate with Rush is awesome as well.

I think he'd work well with Little Mac, but I invision Mega Man as playing the babysitter support role always being ready to jump off and save Mac and edge guarding when Mac gets them off stage. Also, you could send Mac out with a crash bomb and have him counter it to do some good damage. The fact that Mac doesn't flinch could mean some nasty metal blade > Smash attack synergy.

shapular

Smash Ace
I loooove Mega Man as a doubles character. He kind of fills that Wario type niche in that he's decently heavy and can kill well. Also, your partner can cover the end lag from your most powerful moves while you can do the same by disrupting people who attack your opponent from a distance. Saving your teammate with Rush is awesome as well.

I think he'd work well with Little Mac, but I invision Mega Man as playing the babysitter support role always being ready to jump off and save Mac and edge guarding when Mac gets them off stage. Also, you could send Mac out with a crash bomb and have him counter it to do some good damage. The fact that Mac doesn't flinch could mean some nasty metal blade > Smash attack synergy.
I like these ideas. I'll talk to my partner about it. What kind of metal blade to smash attack things are you talking about? I get the general idea but I can't think of any setups that would work.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Iunno. I was just spitballing ideas. What I was thinking about was going for a shield break with the downward angled fsmash at the same time as a metal blade is thrown. But that alone won't break a shield.

Zori

Smash Champion
So I'm nearing the end of my vacation and I have been playing a lot of ingame modes (brothers wifi is trash) but I discovered the spectater mode where you can watch individual chars.

It's pretty interesting to watch other magamans around the world play, I learned a couple of things :]

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That's been around for a while, but I prefer watching youtube videos

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I was on for glory tonight and a guy joined with the name DAIKI. I got really excited hoping it was the Daiki of Japanese Mega Man glory, but it was a ness who had trouble with PK thunder recovering. :(

Side note: I don't understand Wario. Everything he does has good knockback with the exception of fair (which is basically like Jigglypuff's fair) Nair (which is a long lasting quick startup Nair), jab and dtilt. I really dislike the character (I miss retro WarioLand Wario) but I struggle against him and do surprisingly well using him even though I don't really know what I'm doing.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm interested to see what Mega Man could do in doubles. But most stuff I've seen and played has been one on one and free for alls. Either way, consider me intrigued.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I think a mess.
Considering Team Attack on (Tournament Standard), most whiffed projectiles are a hazard for the opponent.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Herro guyz. I'm no Mega Man main, and I absolutely suck balls playing as him, but I figured I'd drop by here since I'm a huge fan of the series and whatnot, played all of the classic, X, Zero and ZX games, and given it's a social thread, I wouldn't mind talking about any of the games should it come into discussion (assuming you guys talk about the games, anyway).
I don't intend to derail the discussion, since I have no idea how Mega Man fares in doubles, though he looks like a good support character given his multi-purpose projectiles and his recovery helping others get back to the stage.

Last edited:

sphenco

Smash Cadet
NNID
sphenco
3DS FC
5300-9746-7346
I have hopes that Nintendo will give Capcom a hand with making a new Mega Man game.

I would love to see a Nintendo X Mega Man. Similar to to Street Fight X MegaMan . With Nintendo Mascots as bosses. . .

sphenco

Smash Cadet
NNID
sphenco
3DS FC
5300-9746-7346
oh hi guys

missed u

getting my gc adapter today. now all i need is the wii u game lel
On impulse I pre ordered the gc bundle before I had a Wii U
(Once it was clear that there was no Smash themed Wii U coming out. I have been waiting to buy a U until Smash bros)

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Faced a very good Yoshi tonight.

Eggs good. Eggs are real good. I got camped out hard at times and I'm usually the one camping people out. Yoshi also edge guards Mega Man quite well with eggs, DAir, NAir, and his quick vertical double jump, which he can use to respond to us recovering high. I'm awful at footstooling, so that's something I need to address especially for this matchup, but regardless, he's difficult to gimp. Challenging his up-B egg toss jumps is where I found the most success (with NAir or BAir)

I thought that matchup was even before, but I'm leaning towards 40-60 or so in Yoshi's favor. Mega Man can't really take advantage of his slow f14 standing grab and his NAir OOS is a strong option at f9 (3 frames startup + 6 get in the air). We camp him out from killing us quite well and live to high %'s due to being safe and him not having a kill throw, which allows us to get some serious rage (thank Dr. Light for backthrow). But he can camp us out quite well with eggs, and he can convert egg hits into more damaging combos.

It's funny, I was just about to write up the 3 matchups from last week... and now I have a whole new perspective on the Yoshi matchup.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
SH single lemons tho.

I think the best thing you can do is snipe eggs and space out the time between shots. instead of firing all 3 within a few seconds, space out the shots more.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Issue I had was their arc. SH single lemons worked well, but the camp game was a battle I was losing in terms of % because Yoshi's damage output with his eggs is much better than our lemons. Especially after they stale. FH eggs beat SH lemons (although running under a FH eggs can get you in range to be more effective).

It's a matchup I'd like to practice more though. It felt like a really good test of how good your lemon game is with sniping & mixups while staying safe from aggro Yoshi's combos. Was my first time playing a Yoshi with a good egg game so I feel decently about how the matches went.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
see i dont feel the yoshi mu is too hard, but I use hyper bombs over MB in the matchup because its infinitely more useful.

what stages were you playing the yoshi on

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
lol. Found CelestialMarauder on For Glory randomly. So no customs or platforms for me. I can definitely see Hyper Bombs being better in that matchup, but I have barely played around with them at all. That and Danger Wrap. I was debating Skull Barrier, but I wonder how good Leaf Shield or Plant Barrier is in more capable hands (I have real trouble making good use of that move).

Part of it is definitely my inexperience with the MU / someone who has a good egg game. Never played a Yoshi of that caliber before.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'd also like to think that uair helps beat eggs by stopping the eggs with uair since its a projectile.

But that is more paper/theorycraft than anything.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
If you said that they did without the disclaimer, I'd believe it. UAir is nice, but it doesn't discourage more eggs. I probably should've used some more diagonal metal blades, but meh. I'll go over some replays I saved over the next week to analyze.

I felt like Yoshi & Mega could play the camp game ad infinitum on a stage like FD. Yoshi would probably win in terms of %, but Mega Man is much closer to killing with BAir or his throws than Yoshi is with a sweetspot NAir or something like that.

Mega Man can keep Yoshi out, but Yoshi's response is to keep Mega Man further out. Which leads to 0 kills and a whole lot of positional play. Sure was fun though.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It doesnt discourage them but think you can destroy an egg with a projectile so you dont have to worry about trying to snipe with lemons. I think it might be easier if you get used to it, in which case if it is easier, you can negate the camping easier than yoshi can.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Leaf Shield is definitely pretty good in the Yoshi matchup.

For one, it gives you free kills whenever Yoshi tries to recover low. Because it's really hard (maybe impossible?) for Yoshi to sweetspot his double jump to ledge, the hitstun from the leaves will prevent him from grabbing the ledge. Then they'll do it again when he tries to UpB. I've caught a lot of Yoshis with this when they try to do that DJ-to-egg recovery trick and it always makes them salty!

Two, it screws with a lot of his approaches. Oh, you were planning to cross me up with your DA or nair? Haha nope, leaves just made your safe approach unsafe, now you grabbed. I think it will also hitstun him out of his DownB before he hits the ground, which is amusing.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Yeah, I found out early in 3DS FG that any good Yoshi player can be quite formidable, and can give any decent MM user a hard time. In my opinion, Yoshi's aerial combat is pretty top notch, being very quick and can score lots of hits, while his ground moves tend to not leave him very open to counter attacks. And that egg is deceptively effective against approaches. But all things considered, any good MM player can overcome his apparent strengths.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm using MM I try to win battles in the air. Some of MM's best options are in the air, I think.
Leaf Shield is definitely pretty good in the Yoshi matchup.

For one, it gives you free kills whenever Yoshi tries to recover low. Because it's really hard (maybe impossible?) for Yoshi to sweetspot his double jump to ledge, the hitstun from the leaves will prevent him from grabbing the ledge. Then they'll do it again when he tries to UpB. I've caught a lot of Yoshis with this when they try to do that DJ-to-egg recovery trick and it always makes them salty!

Two, it screws with a lot of his approaches. Oh, you were planning to cross me up with your DA or nair? Haha nope, leaves just made your safe approach unsafe, now you grabbed. I think it will also hitstun him out of his DownB before he hits the ground, which is amusing.
Something tells me I really should think about using Leaf Shield in my playstyle.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The issue with leaf shield is how it restricts your moveset and telegraphs your intentions. It's risky starting it up before yoshi gets to you, but if you do it in neutral, he'll just wait it out.

The edgeguarding thing is legit because doing SH leaf shield and then immediately hugging the edge does wonders against players and not just yoshi in general.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The issue with leaf shield is how it restricts your moveset and telegraphs your intentions. It's risky starting it up before yoshi gets to you, but if you do it in neutral, he'll just wait it out.

The edgeguarding thing is legit because doing SH leaf shield and then immediately hugging the edge does wonders against players and not just yoshi in general.
Well, that's why you always try to get a Metal Blade in your
hands before you use it, unless you're in disadvantage.
Even if Yoshi just waits it out and you get nothing immediate
from it, you still get a few seconds to compose yourself and think.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Even with a metal blade in your hands, your options are still very limited with leaf shield up lol.

And while you get to set there and compose yourself, Yoshi can do the same, but at the point in time has better tools to try to take control or retain control of the neutral, as you give up a lot of momentum with leaf shield when you're in the neutral.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055

The best ways I find to get Leaf Shield up are:

1) full hop forward as if approaching, then B reverse back

2) short hop forward or backwards, then use the Leaf Shield Short Hop tech (i.e. use LS immediately after DJ) to cancel the upward momentum on your DJ, reversing it as necessary

In other words you can use momentum tricks to use LS as a fake out, and that helps you not to telegraph it. For example, what commonly happens after I use #1 is that my opponent will use an antiair, whiff it, and then try to shield or spot dodge my grab (neither works).

Meleebrawler is also correct in that having a Metal Blade in hand helps keep LS unpredictable even when you don't use tricky methods to get it up.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Also, as an aside, I feel like MM isn't so great in advantage. He doesn't have a ton of true combos, and if you whiff pretty much any followup attack except for a z-dropped Metal Blade or lemons, it's hard to keep up the pressure.

(Obviously he does plenty well offstage and in edgeguard scenarios; I'm mostly talking onstage advantage.)

The way I see it, Mega Man's style is mostly about constantly resetting to neutral+. I call neutral+ any situation when you have a Metal Blade in hand, a Leaf Shield up, or both, because these all really increase your ability to safely approach and do some damage OR to stuff your opponent's approach attempts.

When I grab someone and use anything but a dthrow, I rarely go for a followup, generally only when my opponent really screws up his DI or jumps after the throw. Instead I give myself a MB to use or put up a LS.

Last edited:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Just stopping by the social threads to give a shout out to Fenrir. :b: It was nice to meet/play a fellow Megaman player IRL for once.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
So uh, is anyone else keeping up with the Mega Man comic? Because it's getting kind of...dark.
I've been buying a lot of the comics recently, and reading the Legends of the Blue Bomber arc, especially the ending, gave me the feels. Definitely the best the writers have done so far in my opinion

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So uh, is anyone else keeping up with the Mega Man comic? Because it's getting kind of...dark.
That's pretty interesting. I remember seeing this before. Definitely something you'd see in the MMX or MMZ series. Sort of justifies Mega Man not wanting to fight other robots even more. I'm actually interested in picking up Mega Man's comic series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom