• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'll go with MM2. You're not the first person to tell me good things about it.
Roger. Quick word of advice: The Metal Blades are super duper ridiculous, and can also be thrown in 8 directions. I actually didn't realize that second bit for a long time.

But yeah, 2 is arguably the best game overall, and definitely the most popular. 3 is my personal favorite, but I think it's not as user-friendly.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Bah, 2 is very overrated IMO. The Wily Stages are all generally awful, aside from the OP Metal Blade, the weapon selection isn't that great (bar Quick Boomerang), and when you get a game-over you lose all your E-Tanks, making the game even harder.

IMO: 5 and 6 are probably the best for newcomers given their difficulty. However, 9 has the least amount of flaws in the series (it certainly has the best weapon selection), but it retains similar difficulty to 1/2. X1 is also a masterpiece but it's not always the best starting point given the pace of gameplay.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
2 is overrated, but I think 3 is as well.

My problem with 3 is how bad the endgame is compared to the main game. The 8 robot master stages are all a lot of fun, but as soon as you beat them all, the quality of the game plummets. The Doc Robot stages feel like filler, the Break Man battle is totally pointless, and the Wily stages are short and easy, with powerups littered everywhere. 3 was rushed, and it clearly shows.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I digress. I think the Doc stages were awesome, as they're harder versions of the original stages + harder versions of the MM2 Robot Masters.
I've actually tried to beat them with the buster only... I hate Doc Wood Man. ._.

But yeah, the Wily stages were easy.
I still think Megaman 3 needed a proper intro explaining what the hell was going on, though.
Still, my favorite MM game on the NES.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I digress. I think the Doc stages were awesome, as they're harder versions of the original stages + harder versions of the MM2 Robot Masters.
I've actually tried to beat them with the buster only... I hate Doc Wood Man. ._.

But yeah, the Wily stages were easy.
I still think Megaman 3 needed a proper intro explaining what the hell was going on, though.
Still, my favorite MM game on the NES.
The Doc stages still feel like filler for the most part, because the impression I get is "It's Shadowman's stage...WITH SPIKES! OH NO!". The checkpoints are also a mess. You'd better make sure not to die after the gap on Doc Needle's stage, because if you ran out of Rush Jet, you're totally screwed. The Doc Robots themselves are undoubtedly harder than their Megaman 2 counterparts, but I still think they were an overall unnecessary addition. When it comes to having extra stages, I prefer 4/5/6's method, because they're at least different stages with their own challenges, obstacles, and non-recycled bosses.

I agree that MM3 really needed an intro. Unless you have the manual, you have no idea what's going on when Light tells you Wiley Wily stole Gamma.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
If you're going from a story perspective, some important things

1) None of the Mega Man's really have anything to do with each other in general. There are important things from one generation to the next but all of those are pretty much shown or explained in the current gen anyway.

2) Classic can basically be done in any order, the only exception is you should do the first 6 before the last 5, as 6 and 7 directly connect where all the others carry more of a villain of the week vibe.

3) The X series, as does every subsequent series is a much better connected interwoven story, so I'd play these all in a row.

4) None of the GB side games are really important, but I'd still check em out for only 5 bucks on the VC

In the classic series, I'd honestly recommend 1, simply because its a hard game to play after playing later entries. Its not quite as polished and the weapon selection is kind of bland. Of course imo, but it'd still make the best starting point. 2 is also a good point as well. For any other series, just start with the first game if the story matters to you (id recommend the first game in general anyway though, with the exception of Zero, I'd start with Z2 if you don't care about the plot at all as Z1 has a similar issue to MM1.

Hope that helps your decision, whatever you pick you can't go wrong, this is a quality series with quality games (except you X7, you go sit in the corner and think about what you did)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Huh. Guess this is a somewhat controversial topic for you guys, huh? I think I might just go for the first since I know how hard it was getting into the older Fire Emblem games after starting with a GBA one. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Megaman 1-2-3 definitely have to be played before 4-5.
Not only for the things that involve Protoman, but because getting used to Sliding and Charged Shot, only to go back to a game that has neither of those, will probably be a bit painful to some.

6 can be played by itself.

7 onward, after 6 definitely.

And 10 is the awesome climax to an awesome experience. :D (sorry, it's just my favorite).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
New to Megaman Games? Start with Megaman Zero.:troll:
Fixed. :colorful:

Why hasn't anybody recommended ZX for his first game? :c
ZX is pretty easy for a Megaman game and has an easy mode, but getting around the connected world can be kinda tricky since the in-game map is useless, but then again there's tons of warp points.

Oh and Powered-Up! It's a remake of the first game with two more robot masters, unlockable abilities from the later games, easy and hard modes, twelve playable characters and a in-depth level creator with still functioning online level sharing.
But you need a PSP.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Fixed. :colorful:

Why hasn't anybody recommended ZX for his first game? :c
ZX is pretty easy for a Megaman game and has an easy mode, but getting around the connected world can be kinda tricky since the in-game map is useless, but then again there's tons of warp points.
Personally I thought ZX was harder than Advent.

Off topic: I personally didn't like ZX, the main gameplay felt too much like the Zero series (Model ZX plays the exact same too). The overworld was just too annoying to navigate (anyone remember getting the Nurse Missions to get a Sub Tank?). And I always found the Z-Saber to be weaker here than in other games for whatever reason.

In comparison, Advent felt much more like a breath of fresh air IMO given that you're playing a an entirely different MM than either X or Zero, that both main characters played differently (Ashe for the win! :p), the revamp to weapon energy, an easier to navigate world map with lots of warp points, and that the various transformations were utilized better for puzzles/gameplay. Also dat "Model a" minigame was all kinds of awesome.

My only complaints are the story (which is tough to follow and ends on a bigger cliffhanger than Legends 2), and the less connected world map.

Oh and Powered-Up! It's a remake of the first game with two more robot masters, unlockable abilities from the later games, easy and hard modes, twelve playable characters and a in-depth level creator with still functioning online level sharing.
But you need a PSP.
I'd put Powered Up! in the same boat as 7/8/Bass due to the changes in physics and that you can't shoot through walls. Good for beginners, but not if you're looking to majorly get into the series.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Personally I thought ZX was harder than Advent.

Off topic: I personally didn't like ZX, the main gameplay felt too much like the Zero series (Model ZX plays the exact same too). The overworld was just too annoying to navigate (anyone remember getting the Nurse Missions to get a Sub Tank?). And I always found the Z-Saber to be weaker here than in other games for whatever reason.

In comparison, Advent felt much more like a breath of fresh air IMO given that you're playing a an entirely different MM than either X or Zero, that both main characters played differently (Ashe for the win! :p), the revamp to weapon energy, an easier to navigate world map with lots of warp points, and that the various transformations were utilized better for puzzles/gameplay. Also dat "Model a" minigame was all kinds of awesome.

My only complaints are the story (which is tough to follow and ends on a bigger cliffhanger than Legends 2), and the less connected world map.

I'd put Powered Up! in the same boat as 7/8/Bass due to the changes in physics and that you can't shoot through walls. Good for beginners, but not if you're looking to majorly get into the series.
Eh, not much of a point playing ZXA before ZX because of the plot. Why would somebody be excited when P&P and *spoiler!* come in if they've never seen them, yaknow?
And I like ZX more over ZXA because of it's lack of voice acting.

Physics, smhisics, Powered-Up is awesome!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Eh, not much of a point playing ZXA before ZX because of the plot. Why would somebody be excited when P&P and *spoiler!* come in if they've never seen them, yaknow?
And I like ZX more over ZXA because of it's lack of voice acting.
Honestly, the plot of the ZX series in general doesn't make that much sense IMO. It needs a 3rd game badly to fix all the plot holes and the major cliffhanger ending Advent had. I especially want to know what's up with Ceil from the Zero series.

I think the voice acting is okay, not as good as X8 and the PSP remakes, but it's decent. A funny Easter Egg I've only recently noticed is that the voices for the shared transformations differ (Masculine vs Feminine) depending on who you're playing as.

Physics, smhisics, Powered-Up is awesome!
I would argue it matters a lot, that said, Powered Up is awesome so you have me there. ;)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Megaman Powered Up seems like a good re-make, the kind of remake that adds content and makes improvements on the original. I heard the level editor was pretty cool.

Other than that, I kind of really want a Megaman X version of "The Wily Wars". Where the first 3 games have completely remade graphics and are put together on one disc / cartridge. And when you beat all of the original games, you unlock some new story where you can mix and match every weapon you've unlocked before.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Honestly, the plot of the ZX series in general doesn't make that much sense IMO. It needs a 3rd game badly to fix all the plot holes and the major cliffhanger ending Advent had. I especially want to know what's up with Ceil from the Zero series.

I think the voice acting is okay, not as good as X8 and the PSP remakes, but it's decent. A funny Easter Egg I've only recently noticed is that the voices for the shared transformations differ (Masculine vs Feminine) depending on who you're playing as.

I would argue it matters a lot, that said, Powered Up is awesome so you have me there. ;)
As far as ZX's plot goes...

In all honesty, "plot holes" comes off as a bit strong. I like a bit of ambiguity because it leads to speculation. Like whatever happened to Ciel. At worst, she's dead. At best, I'd guess a Model C could of been planned for ZX3 or something. The Oroboros was all Albert's plan right? It's been awhile... So everything before Thomas's announcement fit pretty concisely, except what happened to the four biomatches and Model Z. That and the announcement of course were pretty blatant sequel hooks. But hey, I'm pretty satisfied otherwise.

In a series with time travel, a robotic virus that spreads through the air and essentially gives them some combination of free will and mind control, digital "elves" that can control the very fabric of reality to varying extents, magic rocks that let people transform into ancient heros if their DNA matches, a piece of scrap from the second space satellite to hit earth that consumes human and robot emotions that can combine with others to form a megazord floating fortress for a man playing god, and robots running around in colored underpants shooting other robots themed around baseballs and animals to earn their power, I don't expect a ton of logic and explaining, yaknow?

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Ciel is a human she isn't a robot. As dead as Dr.Light.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As far as ZX's plot goes...

In all honesty, "plot holes" comes off as a bit strong. I like a bit of ambiguity because it leads to speculation. Like whatever happened to Ciel. At worst, she's dead. At best, I'd guess a Model C could of been planned for ZX3 or something. The Oroboros was all Albert's plan right? It's been awhile... So everything before Thomas's announcement fit pretty concisely, except what happened to the four biomatches and Model Z. That and the announcement of course were pretty blatant sequel hooks. But hey, I'm pretty satisfied otherwise.
Holes from series to series is fine, gives more freedom and leaves the opportunity for more games to be made, but in-game/series it's another story.

In a series with time travel, a robotic virus that spreads through the air and essentially gives them some combination of free will and mind control, digital "elves" that can control the very fabric of reality to varying extents, magic rocks that let people transform into ancient heros if their DNA matches, a piece of scrap from the second space satellite to hit earth that consumes human and robot emotions that can combine with others to form a megazord floating fortress for a man playing god, and robots running around in colored underpants shooting other robots themed around baseballs and animals to earn their power, I don't expect a ton of logic and explaining, yaknow?
I personally enjoy a good story. The logic doesn't bother me, but if the plots are made a major part of the game, and are often times un-skipable, I do want them to at least be competent and enjoyable. While gameplay is still the most important, a good story can do wonders for a game, but a bad or even forced one can do the exact opposite.

Skipping a bit ahead, besides gameplay reasons, I'd love to see the planned remakes of X2-6 come true so we can get a good storyline mixed with those anime cutscenes, none of the "I healed myself while I repaired myself" crap.

Neo Zero

I love a good plot hole as much as the next guy, but I have news. Today is May the 8th, and you know what that means? Its time for the universally acclaimed worst Mega Man GB title to be released on the 3ds eshop, Mega Man II !

Outsourced to a different company than I, they butchered all the music remixes and had worse stage design, and the worst Mega Man killer in Quint. Still though, its worth checking it out if you don't own it, some of the music can be....kinda catchy, and the gameplay is still fairly solid, and it sure is better than X7, so keep an eye on the eshop to pick up Mega Man II, I know I will~

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I love a good plot hole as much as the next guy, but I have news. Today is May the 8th, and you know what that means? Its time for the universally acclaimed worst Mega Man GB title to be released on the 3ds eshop, Mega Man II !

Outsourced to a different company than I, they butchered all the music remixes and had worse stage design, and the worst Mega Man killer in Quint. Still though, its worth checking it out if you don't own it, some of the music can be....kinda catchy, and the gameplay is still fairly solid, and it sure is better than X7, so keep an eye on the eshop to pick up Mega Man II, I know I will~
Looks like Megaman III will be coming out this week too. Though I'm only interested in Megaman Xtreme/Xtreme 2 and Megaman V. Not sure how well the other ones might hold up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46YYCsbcEuE

In other news, here's a Genesis remake of Overdrive Ostrich.

Neo Zero

Looks like Megaman III will be coming out this week too. Though I'm only interested in Megaman Xtreme/Xtreme 2 and Megaman V. Not sure how well the other ones might hold up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46YYCsbcEuE

In other news, here's a Genesis remake of Overdrive Ostrich.
Good eye, I didn't even realize.

Mega Man III made by the same team that did I after the bang up job the II team did, takes place after IV and featuring bosses from III and IV, as well as the Mega Man Killer, Punk. Stages are also given better treatment than the first two GB games got, as every boss is selectable now instead of random teleporters for the last four. Seeing the combo of III and IV Robot Masters, how can you not want this gem (my personal favorite of the classic GB "remakes", though my favorite period will come soon enough...)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Mega Man III made by the same team that did I after the bang up job the II team did, takes place after IV and featuring bosses from III and IV, as well as the Mega Man Killer, Punk. Stages are also given better treatment than the first two GB games got, as every boss is selectable now instead of random teleporters for the last four. Seeing the combo of III and IV Robot Masters, how can you not want this gem (my personal favorite of the classic GB "remakes", though my favorite period will come soon enough...)
I'm surprised to see someone liking III. I bought it a few months ago and I found myself absolutely hating it. Worst game in the Classic series IMO. The graphics and music were impressive, and I liked that the Spark Shot/Gemini Laser were useable weapons now, but the level design and enemy placement was just awful, especially once you get to the MM4 RM stages.

Neo Zero

I'm surprised to see someone liking III. I bought it a few months ago and I found myself absolutely hating it. Worst game in the Classic series IMO. The graphics and music were impressive, and I liked that the Spark Shot/Gemini Laser were useable weapons now, but the level design and enemy placement was just awful, especially once you get to the MM4 RM stages.
I think part of it is just knowing how heavily you'll need Rush Coil, as its a bit weird that its required. Of course there's also the Dust Man Crushers which are brutal in this game, but otherwise I think it's quite enjoyable, but I think the only reason I like it better than IV is simply the robot master selection.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think part of it is just knowing how heavily you'll need Rush Coil, as its a bit weird that its required. Of course there's also the Dust Man Crushers which are brutal in this game, but otherwise I think it's quite enjoyable, but I think the only reason I like it better than IV is simply the robot master selection.
Fair enough. The Dustman Crushers? For me it was the room full of leaps of faith that gave me trouble. Ah, that stage was a mess. :laugh:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, this is a Megaman thread, so I think figured I post this. It's a pretty cool remix. And Metalman's is one of the coolest Robot Masters in the original series.

Neo Zero

Holy selective memory batman, I just went through this game again and....you're 100% right, this game was infuriating at points, loads of stupid jumps, bad ceiling and cheap enemy placement, think Ill change my opinion to IV being better than III....course its still better than I and II lol.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still think that my favorite Megaman games so far are Megaman X 1 and Megaman X 2. Though Megaman 6 and Megaman and Bass(But that Plane boss can burn in hell.)are my favorites of the classic series right now.

And like I normally do, I figured I'd post another remix I found. This time it's a Wire Sponge cover.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I wasn't sure where to put this info, but i've recently discovered that megaman can walljump.
This is an exciting discovery, at least to me.
(If you're wondering what i'm looking at, pause the video when the Climb! game mode is shown. Mega man is off screen but you can clearly see an animation that is a walljump, and i know it's not teching because he is in the jump animation before he does it.)

Last edited:

Neo Zero

I wasn't sure where to put this info, but i've recently discovered that megaman can walljump.
(If you're wondering what i'm looking at, pause the video when the Climb! game mode is shown. Mega man is off screen but you can clearly see an animation that is a walljump, and i know it's not teching because he is in the jump animation before he does it.)
That is an absolute amazing eye you got there, well done, I usually never miss these details. Yup, that animation is something completely different from every other animation I've seen from my hours of looking over footage, and the pose and angle shown is accurate to a wall jump as well. Gold Star and a like to you, and a gold star and like to Sakurai for giving us a little piece of Mega Man X in Rock.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just like in MvC. Can't say I'm surprised that Sakurai included it, still it's definitely something that warrants discussion, and should be given a thumbs up for finding. ;)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If that is a wall jump, then I'm happy. That should help with Megaman's recovery a fair bit on some stages.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not trying to rain on your parade, but since it's smash run it could be anything. Like maybe if you get X amount of jump patches you'll be able to wall jump or there's a wall jump item or something. This wouldn't require a completely new animation either, since everybody can tech jump.

Or, I'm just blabbering on about a more overcomplicated alternate solution.

Neo Zero

Not trying to rain on your parade, but since it's smash run it could be anything. Like maybe if you get X amount of jump patches you'll be able to wall jump or there's a wall jump item or something. This wouldn't require a completely new animation either, since everybody can tech jump.

No, you raise a good concern, and it's something I didn't even consider from the heat of the moment. I don't think it's a tech jump at least due to his color not flashing, but you are right that it's possible that it could be some Smash Run item. If I was gonna put money on one or the other, I'd bet he has a wall jump as --- said, he has had it before in MvC so it'd make sense. It's just one more thing we'll have to test in the demo.

EDIT: so thats why Ice Climbers haven't shown up yet.

Thank you Mega Man

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658

I kind of doubt that, because there wouldn't be something suitable as an incentive for characters that already wall jump to get X amount of jump patches, and the item would be useless to them as well.
I guess we should test it out when the time comes, regardless of the likelihood of this case.
[collapse=little misc detail]
When mega man is shown on 3d world's stage, he double jumps out of his rush Up b when he hits the block. Could this just be for a grounded up b, hitting the block, or is it able to be jumped out of?
[/quote]

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I kind of doubt that, because there wouldn't be something suitable as an incentive for characters that already wall jump to get X amount of jump patches, and the item would be useless to them as well.
I guess we should test it out when the time comes, regardless of the likelihood of this case.

Also, misc possible discovery:
When mega man is shown on 3d world's stage, he double jumps out of his rush Up b when he hits the block. Could this just be for a grounded up b, hitting the block, or is it able to be jumped out of?
Another possibility is that everybody/nobody can wall jump by default in this mode for balance reasons.

Neo Zero

Hey everybody! Its Thursday and you know what that means? Its the next release in Mega May!

Today's title is Mega Man IV, taking place after Mega Man 5, Mega Man must battle through both Cossack Robots and Wily Robots from V alike, as well as take on the egotistical prideful Bass Ballade, Wily's 4th and most dangerous Mega Man Killer. New to this game is the addition of the shop, as well as recoil from your charge shot! So download it on the e shop today.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, I never really knew where the Game Boy games took place.
But after MMV's intro specifically saying something along the lines of "Megaman has stopped Dr.Wily for the 4th time", I can't help but think that the Game Boy games are like an alternate version of the story.

But on the other hand.. I don't think I've found anything to deny the possibilities of them being interquels of the NES games.

Neo Zero

You know, I never really knew where the Game Boy games took place.
But after MMV's intro specifically saying something along the lines of "Megaman has stopped Dr.Wily for the 4th time", I can't help but think that the Game Boy games are like an alternate version of the story.

But on the other hand.. I don't think I've found anything to deny the possibilities of them being interquels of the NES games.
Really? That's actually kind of odd. They have to be canon though, they're referenced in both Bass and 10. Maybe the GB studio didn't want to screw up any future plans of Inafune and so just went "We'll just count our games, that way they can take place anywhere"

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Am currently doing a study abroad in Japan. Was able to go to a Japanese game store (Super Potato) in the Akihabara District of Tokyo today.

There was a lot of Rockman merchandise there so that caught me surprised. Ended up buying a copy of Rockman & Forte for the Super Famicom.

Top Bottom