• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bring Back Philly

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
Woops I forgot to add the link, I edited my last post so now things should make more sense.

Velocity

Smash Lord
I think pools are awful for several reasons, I think the better alternative is Swiss. Florida does it and it seems like they are the only ones (with sense). You still need a bracket for hype, drama, tension, "the fans", etc. Single or Double depending on what your goals are.

I just read the link and Overswarm absolutely knows what hes talking about which is extremely rare when it comes to tournament discussion in relation to pools and brackets.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I like the idea of having a tournament without a bracket if no one minds. I would like it to be Swiss though instead of Pools.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=198425

That link shows the amount of rounds of Swiss you would need for a tournament of a specific size. This tournament would probably attract around 20 people (just a guess), so you'd be looking at 5 rounds of Swiss pairing.

In each round a player would play a best of 3 match vs. someone with an adequate skill set, with the very first round being seeded based on a judgement call or completely random, and subsequent rounds being seeded by the software automatically based on results. I personally think doing the first round completely random is kind of cool if there's no HUGE clear separation of the players talent at the tournament. At a big tournament that obviously would be a stupid idea though.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I like the idea of pools only, sounds interesting.

The only issue, like someone else said, is it takes away hype because it's going to be really unclear who is winning/won the tourney and people will just be trying to remember everyone's record rather than watching that ONE SET that determines it all like in bracket.

Also, could anyone house me Friday night?

Also, also, does anyone have a melee and/or gamecube for sale? I don't have a setup at my house and i really want one so if anyone is looking to sell theirs or has an extra copy or something that would be great.

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
Also, also, does anyone have a melee and/or gamecube for sale? I don't have a setup at my house and i really want one so if anyone is looking to sell theirs or has an extra copy or something that would be great.
The venue is also a game shop and has pretty good prices for everything, so if you just bring some extra cash, or an old game you don't want, you should definitely get what you need.

Mahone

Smash Champion
The venue is also a game shop and has pretty good prices for everything, so if you just bring some extra cash, or an old game you don't want, you should definitely get what you need.
Alright, thanks man.

Any housing for Friday guys? I doubt i can wake up early enough to get to the tournament on Saturday.

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks man.

Any housing for Friday guys? I doubt i can wake up early enough to get to the tournament on Saturday.
I am keeping singles registration open a good deal after doubles start, so you should be alright.

mmiller9012

Smash Rookie
I am new, but I will be going. I can bring a gamecube. I am bringing a girl who smashes as well, but I am a little hesitant. Should I be worried about her being harassed as a girl gamer?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I am new, but I will be going. I can bring a gamecube. I am bringing a girl who smashes as well, but I am a little hesitant. Should I be worried about her being harassed as a girl gamer?
Not at all. If anything, make sure the extra kindness/attention she receives doesn't go to her head. ;)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
She'll be fine everyone is chill.
So excited to play KidneyBeans!
Mahone I MIGHT be able to house you. add me on facebook asap. And send me a message that you're mahone.
http://www.facebook.com/Artemisglitch

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
If I bring full setup (TV+Cube+Mem card+Melee), do I get registration fee waived?
I didn't really talk this over with the venue owner, but I could see if we could get a 50% reduction to venue fee for those of you that are bringing stuff in. Remember, this guy still needs to make money for renting out half his store to the tournament.

Just in case you didn't read the main page, the only thing we really need for this is copies of Melee and memory cards.

So even though full setups are welcome, we actually have plenty of cubes and a good amount of TV's so the venue fee reduction might only require you to bring in a copy of Melee and a memory card.

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
Is there going to be a results thread? I always love reading shoutouts after a tournament.
I need to get the bracket screenshot first before making the official results. I'm planning on stopping by Game Junkie after work and pick that up so I can get the results thread up by tonight or tomorrow.

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
I need to get the bracket screenshot first before making the official results. I'm planning on stopping by Game Junkie after work and pick that up so I can get the results thread up by tonight or tomorrow.
If you want to make a thread now and edit it later on:
Doubles
1st: Cactuar and Velocity
2nd: MetalReeper and Vorosh

Singles
1st: Cactuar
2nd: Mahone
3rd: J-Lo
4th: Velocity
5th: Vorosh
5th: MetalReeper

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately I was unable to schedule a tourney for this month yet, and that is mainly due to the fact that I am getting ready to go back to school. The other problem with scheduling is that I'm going to be in Erie during the year and the person I was going to entrust to keep this going quit playing smash right after the tournament.....ahem......Metal Reeper. If there is anyone who is interested in taking over for me, I'd be glad to give you as much help as I can, but otherwise nothing can happen until I return home for winter break (possibly Thanksgiving break too). That is unless everyone is alright with me organizing tournaments from Erie lol.

Top Bottom