• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
What difference does it make if the Ice Climbers don't come tomorrow? They'll be in either way!
I agree with ya. Ice Climbers will be in. I can't wait to see what their official artwork looks like. I can tell their parkas will look so fuzzy in HD, that it'll put King Dedede's robes to shame.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm eagerly awaiting the fuzziness. That, and the wooden mallets. Nice contrasting textures, y'know?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sort of an odd thing to be curious about, but I wonder if the Nitpicker (the bird enemy that's not the Condor) will make an appearance. To my knowledge, that's the only main Ice Climber enemy not seen in Smash Bros. yet (both Topis, the Condor, and the Polar Bear were seen through Melee and Brawl). Well, not counting the Bee/Butterfly from Vs. Ice Climber, anyway. Man, if Sakurai pulls a Wire Frame Mac and makes the Bee/Butterfly show up on the Ice Climber stage...

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I was just watching the youtube upload of Nakat's SmashCast
and near the end at around 1 hour 40 minutes they start talking about Icies. From what they were saying, it sounds like some kind of ice block shows up in the direct with the Ice Climber's face in it or something, does anyone know what they are talking about?

Last edited:

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
You mean Freezies? Yeah, those have been in Smash since Melee. They're just items.

They're from the Mario Bros. arcade game.

Last edited:

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
You mean Freezies? Yeah, those have been in Smash since Melee. They're just items.

They're from the Mario Bros. arcade game.
Sorry for the confusion, ICies is just a short way of saying Ice Climbers. Either way, they weren't talking about Freezies. I think they were trying to say they saw a reflection in the ice of the Ice Climbers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Do they have a screenshot? It may just be a "Ridley in the Clouds" moment.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know, honestly.

Then again, I'm not sure if these guys are a reliable source if they honestly think R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch, of all characters, are getting dropped.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Sort of an odd thing to be curious about, but I wonder if the Nitpicker (the bird enemy that's not the Condor) will make an appearance. To my knowledge, that's the only main Ice Climber enemy not seen in Smash Bros. yet (both Topis, the Condor, and the Polar Bear were seen through Melee and Brawl). Well, not counting the Bee/Butterfly from Vs. Ice Climber, anyway. Man, if Sakurai pulls a Wire Frame Mac and makes the Bee/Butterfly show up on the Ice Climber stage...
Well, the Condor was seen briefly in the Ice Climbers on-screen appearance (in Brawl). I'm referring to how a character enters the battlefield before the announcer says "GO!". One other example is that Donkey Kong breaks out of a wooden barrel.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, the Condor was seen briefly in the Ice Climbers on-screen appearance (in Brawl). I'm referring to how a character enters the battlefield before the announcer says "GO!". One other example is that Donkey Kong breaks out of a wooden barrel.
I know. I was talking about the Nitpicker.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm expecting the Ice Climbers to make an appearance soon. Idk why but I feel like they may be our next veteran reveal.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, honestly.

Then again, I'm not sure if these guys are a reliable source if they honestly think R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch, of all characters, are getting dropped.
lol Ya I seriously doubt G&W will be cut, that said I don't think these guys would lie. I'm pretty sure these are all competitive smash players, I know Keitaro at least is really big in the smash scene. Oh well, the game is coming in the summer, we will know soon enough if ICies are in or not, keeping my fingers crossed!

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
lol Ya I seriously doubt G&W will be cut, that said I don't think these guys would lie. I'm pretty sure these are all competitive smash players, I know Keitaro at least is really big in the smash scene. Oh well, the game is coming in the summer, we will know soon enough if ICies are in or not, keeping my fingers crossed!
Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers are definitely gonna be back. Don't know about R.O.B, though.

I know. I was talking about the Nitpicker.

Now that ya mention it, it is strange that it hasn't made an appearance yet, not even as a trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluekentuckyboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
3DS FC
4914-4914-2667
I believe they have a good chance, actually a great chance. I'm more curious to see if there will be any changes to them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think there's a really easy fix for their Final Smash: let them scale it with ease. I mean, their titles imply that they can, you know...climb ice.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No Point in having the Polar Bears as an enemy if there aren't :popo:.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
"In past Smash games, Ice Climbers were known for chain grabs and exploiting AI. Please understand, we have deemed it necessary to tone these down for Smash 4"

*chain grab and desynching are literally easier than ever*

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Has anyone ever thought of the idea of separating the 2 Ice Climbers and make them their own separate characters (thereby pulling a Sheik/ZSS)? That would solve the infinite chain grab problem that so many people hate and the main Ice Climber wouldn't be held back if the partner dies in battle, it would also solve the problem that was hurting their inclusion in the 1st place with the 3DS limitations.

Just a thought I'd like to throw out, I mean Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are their own separate characters, why not let Nana and Popo do the same?

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone ever thought of the idea of separating the 2 Ice Climbers and make them their own separate characters (thereby pulling a Sheik/ZSS)? That would solve the infinite chain grab problem that so many people hate and the main Ice Climber wouldn't be held back if the partner dies in battle, it would also solve the problem that was hurting their inclusion in the 1st place with the 3DS limitations.

Just a thought I'd like to throw out, I mean Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are their own separate characters, why not let Nana and Popo do the same?
I'm pretty sure they've already solved the problem by now. I mean, Olimar is kind of the same thing, so since he's in, that mean's the Ice Climbers will be in as well.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I'm pretty sure they've already solved the problem by now. I mean, Olimar is kind of the same thing, so since he's in, that mean's the Ice Climbers will be in as well.
Olimar is 1 character who uses Pikimin to fight (although they did cut down the Pikimin number from 6 to 3, so that having 4 Olimars with 24 Pikimin on the field wouldn't cause any lagging issues) and his concept is similar to the Ice Climbers (he needs Pikimin to be effective just like Popo needs Nana and vice versa), but the Ice Climbers are 2 characters in 1 fighting as a duo (granted they may have fixed the 3DS issue that held them back for the longest time), it would be easier to split the duo up and have them be their own characters so that 1 won't hold back the other during a fight, which was the biggest issue when using the Ice Climbers effectively (plus having them fight each other would be kinda cool).

I see what you're trying to say and yes the issue involving them and the 3DS is fixed (thanks Rosalina), but they might treat them like the transformation aspect and split them up to be their own separate characters on the roster (with different movesets of course).

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Olimar is 1 character who uses Pikimin to fight (although they did cut down the Pikimin number from 6 to 3, so that having 4 Olimars with 24 Pikimin on the field wouldn't cause any lagging issues) and his concept is similar to the Ice Climbers (he needs Pikimin to be effective just like Popo needs Nana and vice versa), but the Ice Climbers are 2 characters in 1 fighting as a duo (granted they may have fixed the 3DS issue that held them back for the longest time), it would be easier to split the duo up and have them be their own characters so that 1 won't hold back the other during a fight, which was the biggest issue when using the Ice Climbers effectively (plus having them fight each other would be kinda cool).

I see what you're trying to say and yes the issue involving them and the 3DS is fixed (thanks Rosalina), but they might treat them like the transformation aspect and split them up to be their own separate characters on the roster (with different movesets of course).
I guess that could be a solution it there are still issues for whatever reason, but I hope they don't go that route. Transformations being split up isn't a big deal because Zelda and Sheik, Samus and ZSS, and Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon from a gameplay perspective are completely different characters. A large majority played only one form rather than all except in PT's case and they probably would have for him too if changing wasn't forced. Ice Climbers on the other hand are completely designed around being a team, and I feel like their gameplay would lose a lot of depth and charm if they became standalone characters. I suppose it would be better than them being cut though.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone ever thought of the idea of separating the 2 Ice Climbers and make them their own separate characters (thereby pulling a Sheik/ZSS)?
That would defeat the entire point of the Ice Climbers. :T

Last I've checked, the Ice Climbers are the second best fighters in Brawl, all due to their infamous grab game. Take that away, and they're not quite as efficient.
Exactly, they're actually pretty weak without exploiting that. Nerf their chain grabs and give them a buff to compensate.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222

Dude, the whole 2-in-1 deal has been what the Ice Climbers has been about. That's not going away anytime soon. Take away that gimmick and you take away what makes the ICs unique compared to everyone else.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Last I've checked, the Ice Climbers are the second best fighters in Brawl, all due to their infamous grab game. Take that away, and they're not quite as efficient.
I actually believe that the pressure of being grabbed is worse than the grab itself. I think if the Ice Climbers infinite chain grabs were removed, but they were still able to combo (Having the AI smash/footstool out of a grab) with grabs, they would still be high tier, right above/below Marth in my opinion. The Ice Climbers have an extremely good kit with an overload of options, it's just that at the moment grabbing is typically the best option for many situations because the reward is so low risk/high reward.

Last edited:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Was there a caption for the picture? I saw it briefly on the site, but I can't go look at the captions with it.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Maybe Sakurai can't think what to write for that pic because he was too afraid to make it the obvious follow-up PotD of tomorrow's Ice Climber reveal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom