• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
No as in you've never heard of it or no it doesn't remind you of Ice Climbers. To me it just feels Ice Climbery.
Never heard of it til now. Kinda makes me upset that the most Ice Climbery games right now is that and the new Tomb Raider, and not the actual Ice Climbers.

Still the art style looks good. I was wondering what kind of style the new IC game should be, I've been caught between the semi-realistic look of Twilight Princess or something like Okami. Now I have to reconsider the whole thing.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Never heard of it til now. Kinda makes me upset that the most Ice Climbery games right now is that and the new Tomb Raider, and not the actual Ice Climbers.

Still the art style looks good. I was wondering what kind of style the new IC game should be, I've been caught between the semi-realistic look of Twilight Princess or something like Okami. Now I have to reconsider the whole thing.
I don't want a dark look since its should be bright in my opinion (edgy Ice Climbers coming to a Gamestop near you) but I don't think the artsy Japanese style fits Ice Climbers either. And btw, Never Alone's gameplay isn't really Ice Climbery, just the atmosphere of it makes it Ice Climbery to me. Its a 2D platformer with puzzles. You play as the girl and the fox and you can switch between them to solve puzzles.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wow, your gone for a few hours and this is what you miss...geez!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't want a dark look since its should be bright in my opinion (edgy Ice Climbers coming to a Gamestop near you) but I don't think the artsy Japanese style fits Ice Climbers either. And btw, Never Alone's gameplay isn't really Ice Climbery, just the atmosphere of it makes it Ice Climbery to me. Its a 2D platformer with puzzles. You play as the girl and the fox and you can switch between them to solve puzzles.
I'm having a hard time describing the TP feel. I don't want it to be dark, I want bright colors and vibrancy, but I want the world around them to have a more realistic look to them. Kinda like how that new Pixar movie looks "The Good Dinosaur". The whole world looks pretty realistic, but the characters themselves look cartoony all in all. That's what I'm going for.

Okami style always needs to be at the very least considered in my opinion. It's gorgeous.

Good to know about this info about Never Alone. What I meant by being upset that the most Ice Climbery game aren't the actual Ice Climbers is, I hate the fact that this atmosphere is finally being explored, and it's not the IC's doing it. Hopefully Nintendo jumps on that train eventually.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm having a hard time describing the TP feel. I don't want it to be dark, I want bright colors and vibrancy, but I want the world around them to have a more realistic look to them. Kinda like how that new Pixar movie looks "The Good Dinosaur". The whole world looks pretty realistic, but the characters themselves look cartoony all in all. That's what I'm going for.

Okami style always needs to be at the very least considered in my opinion. It's gorgeous.

Good to know about this info about Never Alone. What I meant by being upset that the most Ice Climbery game aren't the actual Ice Climbers is, I hate the fact that this atmosphere is finally being explored, and it's not the IC's doing it. Hopefully Nintendo jumps on that train eventually.
Ice Climbers should just have a Pixar look lol.

Okami does have a great artstyle but personally, it wouldn't fit well with the Ice Climbers.

Yeah, get rid of deez rando girls and foxes and bring back da Icies! I feel if there was a new Ice Climbers game, they would totally have like ice scaling sections where you use an icepick to climb up a steep side of a mountain covered in ice, during a blizzard.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Okami does have a great artstyle but personally, it wouldn't fit well with the Ice Climbers.

Yeah, get rid of deez rando girls and foxes and bring back da Icies! I feel if there was a new Ice Climbers game, they would totally have like ice scaling sections where you use an icepick to climb up a steep side of a mountain covered in ice, during a blizzard.
Pixar look it is then.:grin:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Lol, and I just finished watching a Pixar movie while babysitting my cousin.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I just recently got this in the mail to hide my despair get hyped for their eventual return.
Damn. That collection puts mine to shame. As a kid, I threw away the boxes the minute I got the game out of them. Regretting that now.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Damn. That collection puts mine to shame. As a kid, I threw away the boxes the minute I got the game out of them. Regretting that now.
I used to throw out the boxes for my GBC and GBA games when I was younger, but none of the ones I immediately threw out were particularly amazing. Then I got Pokemon LeafGreen and Emerald and wanted to keep the boxes. I didn't take good enough care of them and they got worn and had to be thrown out. Then I got the boxes for those two once again and promised not to make the same mistake and give them better protection. It's not the most cost friendly way of game collecting, but I can't help it, I love boxes. And that's the only row on my shelf that has all my boxes so far. It's very modest compared to other game collections out there. 6 NES, 2 SNES, 9 N64, 2 Famicom, 1 GameBoy, 5 GameBoy Advance, and 1 DS (Pokemon HeartGold). I also have a fake boxed Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland and a fake Mario Kart: Super Circuit cartridge -_-. So I need to replace those with authentic ones. I need to get more box protectors as well.

But yeah, as for Ice Climber itself, now that I've had a chance to play it fully, it's not half bad for its time. The biggest issue with the controls though is the collision detection when you are trying to jump up onto the lip of an edge. And the jumps are fairly stiff and there is only one set height that you can jump. No short hop nair L-cancel mumbo jumbo here. And I once fell through the floor when I missed trying to grab the condor. But still, for 1984, it's a classic and I can't wait for them to come back to Smash.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I used to throw out the boxes for my GBC and GBA games when I was younger, but none of the ones I immediately threw out were particularly amazing. Then I got Pokemon LeafGreen and Emerald and wanted to keep the boxes. I didn't take good enough care of them and they got worn and had to be thrown out. Then I got the boxes for those two once again and promised not to make the same mistake and give them better protection. It's not the most cost friendly way of game collecting, but I can't help it, I love boxes. And that's the only row on my shelf that has all my boxes so far. It's very modest compared to other game collections out there. 6 NES, 2 SNES, 9 N64, 2 Famicom, 1 GameBoy, 5 GameBoy Advance, and 1 DS (Pokemon HeartGold). I also have a fake boxed Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland and a fake Mario Kart: Super Circuit cartridge -_-. So I need to replace those with authentic ones. I need to get more box protectors as well.

But yeah, as for Ice Climber itself, now that I've had a chance to play it fully, it's not half bad for its time. The biggest issue with the controls though is the collision detection when you are trying to jump up onto the lip of an edge. And the jumps are fairly stiff and there is only one set height that you can jump. No short hop nair L-cancel mumbo jumbo here. And I once fell through the floor when I missed trying to grab the condor. But still, for 1984, it's a classic and I can't wait for them to come back to Smash.
Yeah it was fine for it's time, but no need to go back to that now. Time to move on to an amazing adventure game, like that one that ZestyN guy wrote about. That one was real good.:grin:

As for the collections, I managed to dig up my old 64 one a couple of years ago. I was upset to find that none of the boxes were there (I swear I at least kept the Smash Bros one). I was a dumb kid though, I used to have 6 different copies of Melee (2 unopen) and I had zero as of a year ago. Probably sold them at a garage sale for nothing like all my Pokemon cards:ohwell:.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Yeah it was fine for it's time, but no need to go back to that now. Time to move on to an amazing adventure game, like that one that ZestyN guy wrote about. That one was real good.:grin:

As for the collections, I managed to dig up my old 64 one a couple of years ago. I was upset to find that none of the boxes were there (I swear I at least kept the Smash Bros one). I was a dumb kid though, I used to have 6 different copies of Melee (2 unopen) and I had zero as of a year ago. Probably sold them at a garage sale for nothing like all my Pokemon cards:ohwell:.
I'm still trying to get the Smash 64 box myself. So about that other game, it makes me think about possible upgrades that they can acquire after learning those new hammer moves. With sparse source material, there are so many directions it can be taken whether it be a simple yet fun platformer that's not so focused on story like Mario, or more like these ideas where the gameplay elements are there and expanded upon, but also tied into deep story and expands on the characters and where they originate, giving more of a vibe like Metroid and Kid Icarus: Uprising. And Uprising is a prime example of what can be brought to the ice climbing table. Especially since Nana, Popo, and Pit with Palutena being a cameo showcasing her redesign were all revived and made possible for greater and brighter things all thanks to an incredibly genius game designer and God of Hype, Sakurai.

I also had an idea for certain mountains that they explore, they can range in difficulty but maybe you can travel to each one open world style like Zelda Wii U plans to do. And there can be some way that indicates you conquered it and took down the boss and you can access bonus stuff. I think vertical platforming elements are in order for an Ice Climber reboot. If this became real, I'd want vertical platforming to be done well and draws in uniqueness with its own elements in a way. I'm just overthinking at this point, but this series totally needs a reboot of some sorts. It's a necessity at this point.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I just recently got this in the mail to hide my despair get hyped for their eventual return.
Wow, you even have boxes for the games. When I have my own collection (when I'm out of college and have a job, right now I'm starting high school Musical) I would just find some standard plastic cases that have a slot for a printout of the cover and put the game in there. I also like manuals, so I'd probably try to find a bunch of them to (god this is gonna be a pain in the ass). Nice pickup on the Ice Climber game though. I've always wanted to try it out.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I decided to share a couple of the pictures I drew for the IC game idea. This first one is of the IC's first flight, it's not great quality, but I think it helps visualize everything a little better. (I really didn't put much time in it so don't go hard on it please).
Taking flight.jpg
The second is of Mr. Mad Man(I know it's a dumb name, but I first made the character when I was in the second grade, and I'm not changing it now), the massive, ax-carrying walrus. Much better picture, I drew it awhile ago (I know I messed up the shading, it was my first time trying the comic book style, but I'm still really proud of it.). This character is a proud invention of mine, and I hope you all like it.

Mr. Mad Man.jpg

I'm still trying to get the Smash 64 box myself. So about that other game, it makes me think about possible upgrades that they can acquire after learning those new hammer moves. With sparse source material, there are so many directions it can be taken whether it be a simple yet fun platformer that's not so focused on story like Mario, or more like these ideas where the gameplay elements are there and expanded upon, but also tied into deep story and expands on the characters and where they originate, giving more of a vibe like Metroid and Kid Icarus: Uprising. And Uprising is a prime example of what can be brought to the ice climbing table. Especially since Nana, Popo, and Pit with Palutena being a cameo showcasing her redesign were all revived and made possible for greater and brighter things all thanks to an incredibly genius game designer and God of Hype, Sakurai.

I also had an idea for certain mountains that they explore, they can range in difficulty but maybe you can travel to each one open world style like Zelda Wii U plans to do. And there can be some way that indicates you conquered it and took down the boss and you can access bonus stuff. I think vertical platforming elements are in order for an Ice Climber reboot. If this became real, I'd want vertical platforming to be done well and draws in uniqueness with its own elements in a way. I'm just overthinking at this point, but this series totally needs a reboot of some sorts. It's a necessity at this point.
I'm definitely more pulling toward the LoZ idea. I don't want a Mario-esque game for this. I think that you can leave flags around areas you've been, and that maybe after(if) you save the condor you could freely fly around and see where you've been. There has to be a way that you could use the Condor on occasion, but not freely though. I want the adventure to be a struggle, a climb if you will.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I decided to share a couple of the pictures I drew for the IC game idea. This first one is of the IC's first flight, it's not great quality, but I think it helps visualize everything a little better. (I really didn't put much time in it so don't go hard on it please).View attachment 69532 The second is of Mr. Mad Man(I know it's a dumb name, but I first made the character when I was in the second grade, and I'm not changing it now), the massive, ax-carrying walrus. Much better picture, I drew it awhile ago (I know I messed up the shading, it was my first time trying the comic book style, but I'm still really proud of it.). This character is a proud invention of mine, and I hope you all like it.

View attachment 69533

I'm definitely more pulling toward the LoZ idea. I don't want a Mario-esque game for this. I think that you can leave flags around areas you've been, and that maybe after(if) you save the condor you could freely fly around and see where you've been. There has to be a way that you could use the Condor on occasion, but not freely though. I want the adventure to be a struggle, a climb if you will.
Looks pretty good, I thought about an idea for a new Ice Climber game right now. What if they used the Snowmads from DKC Tropical Freeze? They kinda fit the whole arctic theme of Ice Climbers.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I decided to share a couple of the pictures I drew for the IC game idea. This first one is of the IC's first flight, it's not great quality, but I think it helps visualize everything a little better. (I really didn't put much time in it so don't go hard on it please).View attachment 69532 The second is of Mr. Mad Man(I know it's a dumb name, but I first made the character when I was in the second grade, and I'm not changing it now), the massive, ax-carrying walrus. Much better picture, I drew it awhile ago (I know I messed up the shading, it was my first time trying the comic book style, but I'm still really proud of it.). This character is a proud invention of mine, and I hope you all like it.

View attachment 69533

Now that's a walrus I wouldn't wanna mess with. Certainly better shading than I've ever been able to pull off. So from what it sounds like, the game is kinda like survival horror without the horror. The player is given this vast icy world they can venture through, the last of those who can harness certain abilities and gains other side missions. A world where you have to put the effort in to survive yet you're basically home and it's your destiny to surmount the obstacles. It's about the journey and what you're doing it for gives the adventure purpose. You're not even safe with your trusty condor who isn't even the most reliable in some situations.

Also, something that I didn't mention about Ice Climber, is that once you exceed 99,999 points, your score resets to 00000 and starts counting all over again. and once you climb all 32 mountains, it brings you back to mountain 1, but counts it as mountain 33 and onward. I feel in a strange way that could be a motif used in this dream game. There's no true end to the adventure. There's always more to explore. The never ending adventure brings never ending thrill. So the adventure aspect can be used to really bring up and encourage replay value and post game content. Something that keeps bringing people back.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Now that's a walrus I wouldn't wanna mess with. Certainly better shading than I've ever been able to pull off. So from what it sounds like, the game is kinda like survival horror without the horror. The player is given this vast icy world they can venture through, the last of those who can harness certain abilities and gains other side missions. A world where you have to put the effort in to survive yet you're basically home and it's your destiny to surmount the obstacles. It's about the journey and what you're doing it for gives the adventure purpose. You're not even safe with your trusty condor who isn't even the most reliable in some situations.

Also, something that I didn't mention about Ice Climber, is that once you exceed 99,999 points, your score resets to 00000 and starts counting all over again. and once you climb all 32 mountains, it brings you back to mountain 1, but counts it as mountain 33 and onward. I feel in a strange way that could be a motif used in this dream game. There's no true end to the adventure. There's always more to explore. The never ending adventure brings never ending thrill. So the adventure aspect can be used to really bring up and encourage replay value and post game content. Something that keeps bringing people back.
Whoa, that's some trippy stuff. I personally prefer to have closure lol, but that dream thing is a cool idea. I never really though of having a point system though. Don't know how to make that work in an adventure game.

Personally, I wanted the game to end with the IC's defeating the mysterious frost, giving their village the sacred food, and allowing Icetop's farming to prosper and thus breaking the endless cycle of collection of the sacred foods, leaving no purpose for Ice Climbers anymore. With the cycle broken, Nana and Popo decide to leave in search for more adventure (because you know, they love to adventure), and thus a series is born.

Like I said though, I'd probably take a remake of the original, at this point. Ice Climber is long overdue for a sequel.

Looks pretty good, I thought about an idea for a new Ice Climber game right now. What if they used the Snowmads from DKC Tropical Freeze? They kinda fit the whole arctic theme of Ice Climbers.
I honestly don't like the style of them. They could fit, just not my preference. I like the Kirby character kind of style more, personally.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I agree. I was thinking that some areas would be a vast, seemingly endless white abyss, where you can't see anything, but the sky for miles.

Think this, but on a mountain.

Then there could be more climbing oriented areas like this:

That could lead to areas like this:

Or this:

I want there to be cold green areas like this:

Castles like this:

And villages like this:

With a night sky that can't be beaten:

There could be so much diversity in beautiful, ice-laden areas, it hurts that a game like this hasn't been made yet.
Mate. That castle has nothing on this.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I think that the Ice Climber series should advance in a sort of cross between a platformer and an RPG. We could have Popo and Nana along with the ability to create our own climbers with unique traits to level up and make advancing in the game easier due to a variety of "classes" available for use. I think a party system would be well suited to the series tbh.

On a side note, does anyone else here listen to Vocaloids?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think that the Ice Climber series should advance in a sort of cross between a platformer and an RPG. We could have Popo and Nana along with the ability to create our own climbers with unique traits to level up and make advancing in the game easier due to a variety of "classes" available for use. I think a party system would be well suited to the series tbh.

What if you started only as Popo, and had to go through about 1/8th of the game as only him, then you go to the next town in (wherever this is taking place) and had to find Nana?

Ya, that was totally based off Ness finding Paula in EarthBound. But you mentioned "RPG" and "party system", so I had to do it. Lol.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I'd rather them have the ability to upgrade their weapons (more power, speed) like an adventure game. You buy better stuff as time moves on, makes more sense to me.

If the game was an RPG how would the combat work? Because if it were to be turn-based I'd be pretty salty.

What if you started only as Popo, and had to go through about 1/8th of the game as only him, then you go to the next town in (wherever this is taking place) and had to find Nana?

Ya, that was totally based off Ness finding Paula in EarthBound. But you mentioned "RPG" and "party system", so I had to do it. Lol.
It's dangerous to go in Sopo.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
How about crazy ice physics you have to exploit to get to secret areas? Or switching Climbers in midair to do a fancy move. They should be really involved with the environment and exploring it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'd rather them have the ability to upgrade their weapons (more power, speed) like an adventure game. You buy better stuff as time moves on, makes more sense to me.

If the game was an RPG how would the combat work? Because if it were to be turn-based I'd be pretty salty.

If you've played EarthBound, it's pretty hard at the start with only Ness too. Not too much grinding, but some grinding nonetheless.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Lol, thanks, but I don't want that dull gray and white R.O.B. Amiibo. The Famicom color WAAAAAAAAY outclasses it.
If it were still on u could have bought it and painted it I guess XD

Anyway I realised after posting it that the campaign had stopped, so RIP me ;;;

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If it were still on u could have bought it and painted it I guess XD

Anyway I realised after posting it that the campaign had stopped, so RIP me ;;;
I thought about doing that once I found out that the NA version would be the dull color, but then, being the person I am, I would probably make a mistake and not want it anymore. So I'm just gonna have to import one I guess.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I just want the Mr. Game and Watch one. Still mad that they only come in the three pack.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Take this!

I just want the Mr. Game and Watch one. Still mad that they only come in the three pack.
Wait, it's only available in a three pack? I thought GameStop was the only one to have them as a three pack while the other stores sold them individually?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Really? Daggum it!!!

Wait, I just realized something...

If ICies were in the game, and Duck Hunt hadn't made it in, I probably would've gotten all 3 members of my Retro Trio's Amiibo in this pack. DAGGUM IT AGAIN!!!

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I thought they were Gamestop exclusive though.
*anxiously looking for confirmation that they'll be sold individually*
Uh-oh, I think I missed out on my only chance to get those 3 unscalped now unless preorders will go back up. I also heard about a Mii Fighter 3 pack but IDK.

Also @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch , you now have a reason to avoid Target. Doc is exclusive there.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
*anxiously looking for confirmation that they'll be sold individually*
Uh-oh, I think I missed out on my only chance to get those 3 unscalped now unless preorders will go back up. I also heard about a Mii Fighter 3 pack but IDK.

Also @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch , you now have a reason to avoid Target. Doc is exclusive there.
Is it weird that I hate Dr. Mario in Smash, but still want his amiibo?

Top Bottom