• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wait I've been wondering, if ICs DO manage to get into sm4sh, wouldn't they actually have customs?
Sakurai did say they were working fine with the WIIU right? That means they must have had their customs too.
Possibly, but all other DLC characters don't have customs, though Mewtwo did at one point apparently.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wait I've been wondering, if ICs DO manage to get into sm4sh, wouldn't they actually have customs?
Sakurai did say they were working fine with the WIIU right? That means they must have had their customs too.
I guess it really just depends on how far they were in development.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Damn, I just realized if Ice Climbers were in Smash 4 they would have an amiibo.

And if they have an amiibo we could plays as Popo in Mario Maker.
The thought of finally having an Ice Climbers amiibo has me wondering what unique things they can do with it. Since Mr. Game & Watch has swapable poses, one of them being his Brawl pose, maybe if the pose is fitting enough, ICies can swap the spots where they appear on the trophy stand so Popo and Nana can both share turns being in the front if possible.
They shouldn't get customs unless all the dlc fighters do.
Since they were planned from the start and are likely to have had customs at one point, maybe they'll save them for later so when and if they decide to add customs for all DLC characters, that's when they'll create new ones for the others and maybe fine tune ICies' customs.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
This poll has Ice Climbers as 4th most requested DLC globally. Not too shabby.
4th?!?!?! Someone get this to Nintendo!!! I figure that we'll be getting at least 4 or 5 DLC characters from the Ballot, and if we're at #4, that just might do it. Nevertheless, we should continue our support to secure us a spot as DLC.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
This poll has Ice Climbers as 4th most requested DLC globally. Not too shabby.
I personally have doubts about that poll. I don't see characters like Bayonetta being that popular on a global scale.
4th?!?!?! Someone get this to Nintendo!!! I figure that we'll be getting at least 4 or 5 DLC characters from the Ballot, and if we're at #4, that just might do it. Nevertheless, we should continue our support to secure us a spot as DLC.
I think it'll be four, and we know two of them are already planned, so I wouldn't be too fond of these results. If they already planned a character like say Dixie Kong to go with Wolf (who I think has to be one of the pre-planned characters), then the IC's will be one of the last ones out.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I personally have doubts about that poll. I don't see characters like Bayonetta being that popular on a global scale.

I think it'll be four, and we know two of them are already planned, so I wouldn't be too fond of these results. If they already planned a character like say Dixie Kong to go with Wolf (who I think has to be one of the pre-planned characters), then the IC's will be one of the last ones out.
Wait, we do? Since when? I never heard of any 2 DLC characters being pre-planned other than the 4 we've already gotten...

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wait, we do? Since when? I never heard of any 2 DLC characters being pre-planned other than the 4 we've already gotten...
I keep hearing it around all these discussion boards, apparently Sakurai said something about it after the Roy/Ryu reveal, but to be fair I didn't catch any of it so I wouldn't know how true that is myself.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
I keep hearing it around all these discussion boards, apparently Sakurai said something about it after the Roy/Ryu reveal, but to be fair I didn't catch any of it so I wouldn't know how true that is myself.
People who data mined the game during 1.0.6 found slots form all characters that were in the game back then + Lucas, Roy, rye and two marios, which most likely are placeholder slots for future characters, and because the placeholder was there shortly after the ballot started most people assume that these slots are for pre-ballot characters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
People who data mined the game during 1.0.6 found slots form all characters that were in the game back then + Lucas, Roy, rye and two marios, which most likely are placeholder slots for future characters, and because the placeholder was there shortly after the ballot started most people assume that these slots are for pre-ballot characters.
Thanks. So are we sure the Mario's don't mean two more Marios, or Mario series characters are coming to the the game, because I'm getting really tired of repetitive characters and over-repped series getting more through DLC personally.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
2 Marios in the game is one too many (screw you, Doc). Anymore Marios (Paper Mario, Cat Mario etc.) should just be plain ruled out. I don't care how good of a moveset they could have or whatever. They can all be alt. costumes for Mario. Heck, most of them are just that.

The Mario series has it's representatives as well. There aren't truly any more worthy Mario series characters I can think of (unless you want to count Waluigi, but I'd classify him as Wario series, for what should be obvious reasons). In fact, I'd be perfectly fine if they took Dr. Mario out of the game and replaced him with Waluigi. But seriously, the Mario series has reached it's limit for playable characters. 7 characters total, that's quite enough.

The two Marios in the data better just be placeholders. If so, they are for any characters that were initially supposed to be in the roster, but were cut.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
2 Marios in the game is one too many (screw you, Doc). Anymore Marios (Paper Mario, Cat Mario etc.) should just be plain ruled out. I don't care how good of a moveset they could have or whatever. They can all be alt. costumes for Mario. Heck, most of them are just that.

The Mario series has it's representatives as well. There aren't truly any more worthy Mario series characters I can think of (unless you want to count Waluigi, but I'd classify him as Wario series, for what should be obvious reasons). In fact, I'd be perfectly fine if they took Dr. Mario out of the game and replaced him with Waluigi. But seriously, the Mario series has reached it's limit for playable characters. 7 characters total, that's quite enough.

The two Marios in the data better just be placeholders. If so, they are for any characters that were initially supposed to be in the roster, but were cut.
Captain Toad, and btw Waluigi is the Mario series. He's never been in a Wario game and is not a Wario character.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Captain Toad, and btw Waluigi is the Mario series. He's never been in a Wario game and is not a Wario character.
Gotcha. I have no opinion on Captain Toad, but I'll take Waluigi as a Mario rep. over Doc in a heartbeat. I'm not all for Waluigi (though I'm not a disliker either), but I am completely against Doc.

...I need more Smash DLC news soon...:(

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said that Roy and Ryu (and I'm guessing Lucas too) were pre-planned DLC and everything from there on out "would be fanservice." That's the famous quote.

It's interesting that only one of the DLC characters has been a newcomer. Apparently in Japan, people really want veterans to come back. Is it possible that the DLC is to remedy the situation with the veterans Sakurai wanted to include but couldn't due to time constraints? Just speculation.

I feel like the 3DS has, unfortunately, condemned the Ice Climbers, but I think that the next installment will feature them. Sakurai did not want to cut them. I don't know if this portable Smash alongside console Smash trend will continue, but if it does, maybe the future handheld will be able to handle the Ice Climbers.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sakurai said that Roy and Ryu (and I'm guessing Lucas too) were pre-planned DLC and everything from there on out "would be fanservice." That's the famous quote.

It's interesting that only one of the DLC characters has been a newcomer. Apparently in Japan, people really want veterans to come back. Is it possible that the DLC is to remedy the situation with the veterans Sakurai wanted to include but couldn't due to time constraints? Just speculation.

I feel like the 3DS has, unfortunately, condemned the Ice Climbers, but I think that the next installment will feature them. Sakurai did not want to cut them. I don't know if this portable Smash alongside console Smash trend will continue, but if it does, maybe the future handheld will be able to handle the Ice Climbers.
It won't. This is the only handheld and console release of Smash, I'm sure. Handhelds and Smash just don't work well together.

I think I saw somewhere (don't quote me on this) that Sakurai had intended to bring back every veteran from previous installments this time, though looking at some of the remaining ones, I'm not so sure about that.

But I do think you might be onto something with that. If we are going to bring back more veterans, Wolf and ICies are next in line. Then things get iffy with the remaining 5. We all know the stories of Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, and I don't expect to see Pichu or Young Link back anytime soon. But ya know, we'll see (we got the business man Mario back for who knows what stupid reason).

As for newcomers, there's a lot of popular choices, I could probably name 10 off the top of my head. But, we'll probably only be getting 1 or 2 more. And personally, I'm more hyped for veteran DLC over the newcomers anyway. Heck, I was more hyped for the veterans to return during the entire reveal process of Smash 4 than the newcomers! There's more speculation for which characters will return, and what the reason(s) may be for that character's removal from the series if they're to be cut.

But I honestly think that if Sakurai's thinking about bringing back veterans, he's got ICies on his mind. He was upset about cutting them, and he initially had them in the roster. There will be news on them within the next two Smash events, whether it be in a Nintendo Direct or a Smash focused one. I'm almost positive of that.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Liking the new style, although I always wanted to see Nana have the Katara hair style.
Hahaha, that hairstyle would actually be very interesting to see. But I'm so used to the weird hairstyle that she actually has--which turns out to be adorable anyways ^^. I appreciate you taking notice of my style shift. Trying new things. You know I'll try to draw something for here if the ICs ever do get announced as DLC <3
It won't. This is the only handheld and console release of Smash, I'm sure. Handhelds and Smash just don't work well together.

I think I saw somewhere (don't quote me on this) that Sakurai had intended to bring back every veteran from previous installments this time, though looking at some of the remaining ones, I'm not so sure about that.

But I do think you might be onto something with that. If we are going to bring back more veterans, Wolf and ICies are next in line. Then things get iffy with the remaining 5. We all know the stories of Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, and I don't expect to see Pichu or Young Link back anytime soon. But ya know, we'll see (we got the business man Mario back for who knows what stupid reason).

As for newcomers, there's a lot of popular choices, I could probably name 10 off the top of my head. But, we'll probably only be getting 1 or 2 more. And personally, I'm more hyped for veteran DLC over the newcomers anyway. Heck, I was more hyped for the veterans to return during the entire reveal process of Smash 4 than the newcomers! There's more speculation for which characters will return, and what the reason(s) may be for that character's removal from the series if they're to be cut.

But I honestly think that if Sakurai's thinking about bringing back veterans, he's got ICies on his mind. He was upset about cutting them, and he initially had them in the roster. There will be news on them within the next two Smash events, whether it be in a Nintendo Direct or a Smash focused one. I'm almost positive of that.
I disagree that this will be the last we'll see of handheld smash. Heck, the NX could end up being a powerful handheld, and Nintendo might not even make any more home consoles. It wouldn't be completely unexpected. I'm sure that next time, though, Nintendo won't allow any hardware issues get in the way of character inclusion.
But I do think that Sakurai does have the ICs in mind, definitely. One of the highest voted-for characters around, and a veteran. And they were already 'working' on the Wii U. Sakurai must be doing something. Also, there's that mysterious gap between now and the ballot. Sure, they could finally all be resting up and simply watching the results of the ballot as they come in... but somehow I don't feel that that's necessarily happening!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh no, this final gap is going to be the busiest part of the Ballot. Sakurai's got a lot going through his head right now. We need to make sure the ICies are known about, so we guarantee a spot in the final few DLC bombs.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Unlike some people who have objected to this idea in the past, I'm fine with a solo IC, with appropriate buffs and perhaps even nods to their previous duo-status, such as in their taunts or idle animations. At the very least, one Ice Climber should be in-game. From what he said in that game development book (those two books he was advertising on his Twitter), the team did a lot to make both ICs work on the 3DS. They probably gave it a really good effort, given that we all know he cares for the ICs. And as someone mentioned before, it's a terrible feeling to have invested so much time, energy, and planning into something for it never to really see the light of day, especially when it's something tons of people look forward to seeing. I'd support Sakurai all the way if he decided to put only solo ICs in smash 4. It's the simplest solution to the 3DS problem without being TOTALLY heartbreaking to all the IC fans. I respect his decision to put the game on both the 3DS and Wii U, although it certainly did have some impact on game content/quality perhaps. Since he never did explicitly say, on a miiverse or direct, anything about the ICs never making it in (or did he??), I strongly believe that Sakurai will provide us all at least one more service of reconciliation regarding the ICs.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Unlike some people who have objected to this idea in the past, I'm fine with a solo IC, with appropriate buffs and perhaps even nods to their previous duo-status, such as in their taunts or idle animations. At the very least, one Ice Climber should be in-game. From what he said in that game development book (those two books he was advertising on his Twitter), the team did a lot to make both ICs work on the 3DS. They probably gave it a really good effort, given that we all know he cares for the ICs. And as someone mentioned before, it's a terrible feeling to have invested so much time, energy, and planning into something for it never to really see the light of day, especially when it's something tons of people look forward to seeing. I'd support Sakurai all the way if he decided to put only solo ICs in smash 4. It's the simplest solution to the 3DS problem without being TOTALLY heartbreaking to all the IC fans. I respect his decision to put the game on both the 3DS and Wii U, although it certainly did have some impact on game content/quality perhaps. Since he never did explicitly say, on a miiverse or direct, anything about the ICs never making it in (or did he??), I strongly believe that Sakurai will provide us all at least one more service of reconciliation regarding the ICs.
I keep hearing about him trying everything possible to get them to work. Can you link me to the books or whatever?

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I keep hearing about him trying everything possible to get them to work. Can you link me to the books or whatever?
I would but I'm on mobile rn. I'm sure somebody else will soon. There was a huge commotion about it, too, like 5-15 pages ago or something. Maybe even less, idk. There were links and everything. It basically made duo ICs seem like an even smaller possibility than before. But there's def still hope for solo ICs

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I would but I'm on mobile rn. I'm sure somebody else will soon. There was a huge commotion about it, too, like 5-15 pages ago or something. Maybe even less, idk. There were links and everything. It basically made duo ICs seem like an even smaller possibility than before. But there's def still hope for solo ICs
I was MIA for almost the entirety of June, so if it happened then it explains why I missed it.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
OMG WTF SMASHBOARDS WHY HAVEN'T YOU BEEN ALERTING ME FOR THIS ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Also I really want that amiibo ;;;;

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I'm not sure if data miners found anymore placeholders in future updates. The team is probably keeping it on lock with tighter security this time. So all we no is that 3 of the 5 Marios are filled.
Thanks. So are we sure the Mario's don't mean two more Marios, or Mario series characters are coming to the the game, because I'm getting really tired of repetitive characters and over-repped series getting more through DLC personally.
It's quite the double edged sword by not having set slots for set amounts of reps per series like in the past. I mean Smash 4 barely put series representation into the equation at all.
Super Mario:
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4dk::4diddy::4wario2::4drmario:
Pokémon:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff:??:4charizard::4mewtwo:?:4lucario::4greninja:
Fire Emblem:
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4feroy:
Star Fox:
:4fox::4falco:?
Ice Climber:
Metal Gear Solid:
So many characters. Even more fans of specific characters. But now is a better time than ever to give more love to the under-repped.
In the April 2014 Smash Direct, Waluigi had the Wario Ware emblem because reasons. It probably means nothing for an assist trophy.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm not sure if data miners found anymore placeholders in future updates. The team is probably keeping it on lock with tighter security this time. So all we no is that 3 of the 5 Marios are filled.

It's quite the double edged sword by not having set slots for set amounts of reps per series like in the past. I mean Smash 4 barely put series representation into the equation at all.
Super Mario:
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4dk::4diddy::4wario2::4drmario:
Pokémon:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff:??:4charizard::4mewtwo:?:4lucario::4greninja:
Fire Emblem:
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4feroy:
Star Fox:
:4fox::4falco:?
Ice Climber:
Metal Gear Solid:
So many characters. Even more fans of specific characters. But now is a better time than ever to give more love to the under-repped.

In the April 2014 Smash Direct, Waluigi had the Wario Ware emblem because reasons. It probably means nothing for an assist trophy.
I actually feel that DK, and Wario are their own franchises (Yoshi not so much), but I agree with your point. It's a shame so many series have no representation at all, while Mario clearly has a lot of time and effort put into it.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I actually feel that DK, and Wario are their own franchises (Yoshi not so much), but I agree with your point. It's a shame so many series have no representation at all, while Mario clearly has a lot of time and effort put into it.
Well, Mario is Nintendo's best selling franchise ever in like video game history. A small accomplishment. Also, the Koopalings are alts, its a bit unfair for them to be considered full characters.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well, Mario is Nintendo's best selling franchise ever in like video game history. A small accomplishment. Also, the Koopalings are alts, its a bit unfair for them to be considered full characters.
I really don't see how that matters at this point. If sales played that big a part in what/how many characters make it in from franchise to franchise, then Wii Fit, Big Brain Academy, and Nintendogs would be getting hella rep.

Mario's a great and important franchise, but I'm tired of everything becoming overrun by it. It has 7 reps plus 3 spinoff reps, while some franchises have yet to even get a sticker. Mario's important, but lets get it in perspective, we don't need this much, and we definitely don't need any more.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I really don't see how that matters at this point. If sales played that big a part in what/how many characters make it in from franchise to franchise, then Wii Fit, Big Brain Academy, and Nintendogs would be getting hella rep.

Mario's a great and important franchise, but I'm tired of everything becoming overrun by it. It has 7 reps plus 3 spinoff reps, while some franchises have yet to even get a sticker. Mario's important, but lets get it in perspective, we don't need this much, and we definitely don't need any more.
I mean Mario's also Nintendo's mascot but whatever. DK and Diddy aren't really spinoffs, they are their own thing in the same universe as Mario, same for Wario but to a lesser extent. Also stickers aren't even in the game anymore. I do think smaller franchises should get representation (One of my top picks is Isaac), but at the same time, I think Mario deserves at least one more character (mainly for Smash 5 and only if its Captain Toad lol).

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
In terms of roster slots, it looks more modest. In terms of "character" characters, it totals to 17 with Mario having two different outfits. Speaking of Koopalings, I wish they didn't over saturate Mario Kart 8's roster.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
In terms of roster slots, it looks more modest. In terms of "character" characters, it totals to 17 with Mario having two different outfits. Speaking of Koopalings, I wish they didn't over saturate Mario Kart 8's roster.
I don't mind the Koopalings in Mario Kart (but ****ing Pink Gold Peach WHY IS THIS A THING! No, Birdo, Petey, and King Boo aren't worthy enough for Mario Kart 8, BUT PINK ****ING GOLD PEACH). Roster slots are really what the big deal is.

Troykv

Smash Master

YES! Don't care the moneyz representation! Just care that the character actually is own charismatic and has potential to be a interesting option

If Smash Bros Reps Moneyz, Mario, Pokémon and the Wii/DS/Mii Series would have like the +60% of the roster.

Also, someone mentiones something about Fire Emblem.. I just want the characters that I really like and I see potential in them. And everyone here should do the same, want the character that YOU want, don't the character that is only to "rep sales".

Note: Lucina is a so poorly clone that was since the initial development a simple costume and make it a character only need create some new animations... That I can't considered her his own character... I only see 4 characters from Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I mean Mario's also Nintendo's mascot but whatever. DK and Diddy aren't really spinoffs, they are their own thing in the same universe as Mario, same for Wario but to a lesser extent. Also stickers aren't even in the game anymore. I do think smaller franchises should get representation (One of my top picks is Isaac), but at the same time, I think Mario deserves at least one more character (mainly for Smash 5 and only if its Captain Toad lol).
Ideally, I'm fine with Mario getting more reps, but if other series aren't addressed, I'd rather not. I think Waluigi, Daisy, and Toad could all serve the purpose of rounding out the Mario series, but as said before, I see no reason any of them should take precedence over a character like, to your example Isaac. They aren't the reason the Mario franchise is so big, so why do they deserve to be in over other characters? Doesn't make any sense to me.

If I'm the guy making the roster, I'm saying those characters make it if I can address all the other characters/franchises I mean to address (Golden Sun, Starfy, Custom Robo, Sin and Punishment,etc..). If not, they're going to have to wait.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I just wish people would stop asking for f*cking Goku...

Top Bottom