• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya. He's already in the game! (Lucario in SSB4 and Goku have the same VA).

But ya, seriously, the idea of Goku in Smash doesn't work. It just flat out stupid.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Honestly if they could implement Goku (from DBZ) in smash that'd be great. My friends are big fans of it, and I used to be too. I know he started as an anime character, but they're really an iconic character, and they've BEEN in numerous games. More than I ever knew till recently.
Still, sounds really complicated to implement. I couldn't really imagine the movesets taking into consideration super saiyan forms and all that. Seems like it'd be too complicated. But heck, I'd love to see it. I don't know why people are so against Goku specifically. But with that said, I do suppose there are other Nintendo reps that haven't had rep in smash yet. But I'm more of a Smash fan than anything, so I just want fighters that EVERYBODY knows, not just Nintendo fans. I'm sure Nintendo realizes that it couldn't hurt to get more 3rd party in as well. As long as they make it fit into the Smash setting, heck that'd be great. And could you imagine how -noble- it would seem if Nintendo took in characters like Shovel Knight, and maybe even Shantae, to an extent? Mostly Shovel Knight? And how iconic it would be to have Goku fight against Nintendo All-Stars? Idk. Just in general, that'd be awesome. Maybe I'm missing something here, since the hate is so widespread. But I like me some unique fighters. Also bomberman would be fun, and of course I guess we could use another heavyweight villain, ala K. Rool. And Captain Rainbow seems like fun... All of these characters could make great newcomers.
(And then of course there's Michael Jackson! jk, jk)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Honestly if they could implement Goku (from DBZ) in smash that'd be great. My friends are big fans of it, and I used to be too. I know he started as an anime character, but they're really an iconic character, and they've BEEN in numerous games. More than I ever knew till recently.
Still, sounds really complicated to implement. I couldn't really imagine the movesets taking into consideration super saiyan forms and all that. Seems like it'd be too complicated. But heck, I'd love to see it. I don't know why people are so against Goku specifically. But with that said, I do suppose there are other Nintendo reps that haven't had rep in smash yet. But I'm more of a Smash fan than anything, so I just want fighters that EVERYBODY knows, not just Nintendo fans. I'm sure Nintendo realizes that it couldn't hurt to get more 3rd party in as well. As long as they make it fit into the Smash setting, heck that'd be great. And could you imagine how -noble- it would seem if Nintendo took in characters like Shovel Knight, and maybe even Shantae, to an extent? Mostly Shovel Knight? And how iconic it would be to have Goku fight against Nintendo All-Stars? Idk. Just in general, that'd be awesome. Maybe I'm missing something here, since the hate is so widespread. But I like me some unique fighters. Also bomberman would be fun, and of course I guess we could use another heavyweight villain, ala K. Rool. And Captain Rainbow seems like fun... All of these characters could make great newcomers.
Honestly I hate the idea. I love DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Attack on Titan etc... but 4th party characters have no place in the game. I don't care if it's Goku, I don't care if it's Jake (my avatar), I don't care if it's freakin' Mickey Mouse, there needs to be some kind of line drawn when we're picking our characters, and I think 1st and 3rd party only is a pretty good one (even though even that is flawed).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
The thing is, Smash Bros is about Nintendo's history with a few guests. Goku is not a part of that history at all. He hasn't done anything huge on Nintendo systems. Even the third party characters need to have some strong connection with Nintendo.
:4sonic: - Mario's rival. Sega and Nintendo console wars in the 90s. Sega is a great partner to Nintendo.
:4megaman:- Literally tons of games on Nintendo systems, was basically a Nintendo character in the 90s. Capcom is a great partner to Nintendo.
:4ryu:- Capcom's 200+ line up of games on Nintendo make them great partners and they have worked together tons. Street Fighter 2 on SNES. Ryu is like the fighting game mascot.
:4pacman:- Namco is on great terms with Nintendo. Namco co-developed Smash. Pac-Man is a video game icon.

The only real exception to this is Snake.
:snake:- Video game icon, Sakurai's favor towards Kojima, Snake's creator.

Goku from DBZ is a manga character with no good ties to Nintendo. Plus, he's a ****ING MANGA CHARACTER! Would he be awesome? Yes. Should he be in a game about NINTENDO'S HISTORY? HELL NO! I really dislike the idea of adding in third parties willynilly. The third parties must be gaming icons and have great history on Nintendo to me. This short list is basically, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, some Square Enix reps that I don't want to take the time to mention, and possibly Rayman. Would other characters like Shantae or Shovel Knight be awesome to play as , yes, but do they deserve to be in, not really.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I suppose you're right. I guess I'm just that smash player that mostly plays the game because it's fun and engaging. I don't know a whole lot about every character. You can bet that I can name them all and their franchises though. I guess I just see it as this: Nintendo is a big company, which is experiencing financial instability at the moment. I see smash as one of the opportunities for Nintendo to broaden their horizons a little, collaborate with different companies and get their games some more respect from even more console gamers. Yes, the roster being crowded with irrelevant or un-fitting characters is definitely an issue. Sure, Nintendo's history is a big part of smash. Namely, Nintendo's all-star characters and their respective franchises. But given that, at the moment, Nintendo's consoles aren't selling incredibly well, minus the 3DS which did sell well, and for whatever reasons, the Wii U is flopping, I'd think that now would be a good time for Nintendo to sort of go a Universal-Studios sort of route. And by that I mean getting involved with big names and bringing in publicity however they can. Yes, I'm sure Nintendo's history is full and rich with great titles and tons of nostalgic goodness. But will bringing back Nintendo reps that only big Nintendo fans will recognize bring in good money, long-term? Will everybody else be interested?
I can't help but think about the ICs when I say this, of course. I love the ICs. They're great and they're adorable. But really, as much as I want them in for my own nostalgic reasons, what would be the best decision from a financial point of view? What will draw a crowd? And what people will be willing to buy in the future?

I don't know anything about what really WILL bring in the money and loyal fans. But. I wouldn't count Goku out simply because he has no prior affiliation with Nintendo as of yet. Though honestly it'd be really weird, imagining, like, pikmin or bowser jr. killing Goku. Maybe that's a real concern xD.

With that said, I don't care much for Goku. But Shovel Knight, Ice Climbers, Shantae, and Bomberman? (Maybe Quote from CaveStory?) yes. <3 Maybe Nintendo could sort of be that nostalgic game company that loves and endorses indie retro game creators and whatnot. Nintendo becomes the HUB for various things regarding 'retro' video games? Holds competitions, invites developers with great ideas to come on in and pitch their ideas? Brings in various smaller game companies and supplies them with stuff to be able to complete developing their games? Essentially, Nintendo consoles could become a platform for a vast population of gamers, both casual and 'hip.' Best of all, even as a big company, they would avoid taking advantage of the people they collaborate with because they need that young, outside voice to help guide their decisions!

But that's just me and my various dreams being projected onto Nintendo, a company which I have little knowledge of overall. Anyways idk, I'm just a guy who plays Smash Bros competitively and wants characters that will mix up the meta and provide interesting movesets. I respect you guys' loyalty and respect for Nintendo and whatnot, and the integrity of Smash Bros, but I personally don't care too much for Nintendo's history outside of Smash Bros veterans and obviously popular characters, such as Bomberman, Ice Climbers (two-time Smash veterans), and Shovel Knight. I'm fine with K. Rool, I suppose. He's sorta important... Simon Belmont makes sense I suppose, but all in all, aside from my beloved little eskimos, I think it's time for Nintendo to use possibly their most interesting, malleable, and original game to reclaim their former glory. I don't want to see an end to the Smash Bros series any time soon. :/

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I suppose you're right. I guess I'm just that smash player that mostly plays the game because it's fun and engaging. I don't know a whole lot about every character. You can bet that I can name them all and their franchises though. I guess I just see it as this: Nintendo is a big company, which is experiencing financial instability at the moment. I see smash as one of the opportunities for Nintendo to broaden their horizons a little, collaborate with different companies and get their games some more respect from even more console gamers. Yes, the roster being crowded with irrelevant or un-fitting characters is definitely an issue. Sure, Nintendo's history is a big part of smash. Namely, Nintendo's all-star characters and their respective franchises. But given that, at the moment, Nintendo's consoles aren't selling incredibly well, minus the 3DS which did sell well, and for whatever reasons, the Wii U is flopping, I'd think that now would be a good time for Nintendo to sort of go a Universal-Studios sort of route. And by that I mean getting involved with big names and bringing in publicity however they can. Yes, I'm sure Nintendo's history is full and rich with great titles and tons of nostalgic goodness. But will bringing back Nintendo reps that only big Nintendo fans will recognize bring in good money, long-term? Will everybody else be interested?
I can't help but think about the ICs when I say this, of course. I love the ICs. They're great and they're adorable. But really, as much as I want them in for my own nostalgic reasons, what would be the best decision from a financial point of view? What will draw a crowd? And what people will be willing to buy in the future?

I don't know anything about what really WILL bring in the money and loyal fans. But. I wouldn't count Goku out simply because he has no prior affiliation with Nintendo as of yet. Though honestly it'd be really weird, imagining, like, pikmin or bowser jr. killing Goku. Maybe that's a real concern xD.

With that said, I don't care much for Goku. But Shovel Knight, Ice Climbers, Shantae, and Bomberman? (Maybe Quote from CaveStory?) yes. <3 Maybe Nintendo could sort of be that nostalgic game company that loves and endorses indie retro game creators and whatnot. Nintendo becomes the HUB for various things regarding 'retro' video games? Holds competitions, invites developers with great ideas to come on in and pitch their ideas? Brings in various smaller game companies and supplies them with stuff to be able to complete developing their games? Essentially, Nintendo consoles could become a platform for a vast population of gamers, both casual and 'hip.' Best of all, even as a big company, they would avoid taking advantage of the people they collaborate with because they need that young, outside voice to help guide their decisions!

But that's just me and my various dreams being projected onto Nintendo, a company which I have little knowledge of overall. Anyways idk, I'm just a guy who plays Smash Bros competitively and wants characters that will mix up the meta and provide interesting movesets. I respect you guys' loyalty and respect for Nintendo and whatnot, and the integrity of Smash Bros, but I personally don't care too much for Nintendo's history outside of Smash Bros veterans and obviously popular characters, such as Bomberman, Ice Climbers (two-time Smash veterans), and Shovel Knight. I'm fine with K. Rool, I suppose. He's sorta important... Simon Belmont makes sense I suppose, but all in all, aside from my beloved little eskimos, I think it's time for Nintendo to use possibly their most interesting, malleable, and original game to reclaim their former glory. I don't want to see an end to the Smash Bros series any time soon. :/
Yes, but this is Sakurai, a man who likes to stick to his vision of Smash (the overall one). It literally says on the boxart for Smash 64

Duke it out as your favorite Nintendo characters. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's history and legacy. Adding in irrelevant characters like Goku would tarnish it, and Sakurai knows this. He's literally laughed off the idea of Son Goku getting in Smash. Again, with the third parties, I think they need to be a lot more iconic to join Smash. Shovel Knight (lol he aint getting in, he's on every console now and has more stuff on those other consoles), Shantae, and Quote aren't up to that status. When you look at the special guests in Smash history, they are all video game legends. Ask any somewhat knowledgeable gamer who Mega Man, Ryu, Sonic, or Pac Man are and they'll know. Plus, their history with Nintendo is quite small. Also, Nintendo in financial instability? Bro, I'm pretty sure they have millions in the bank. The Wii U didn't sell well, neither did the GameCube or N64 compared to the rivals. They were still fine.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I don't think that anyone's on the fence about smash because it doesn't have Goku, at this point the only people worried about what characters get into smash are the smash fans themselves. No one character is going to bring in a large crowd, so the characters put in the game should only be put in to pay homage to Nintendo's history and satisfy fan demands.

This does neither.

Sure quite a few fans may be stoked for Goku, but a lot of fans would be pissed. Is it right for fans to react that way? Probably not, but you could see it with every semi-controversial choice made so far. A character like Goku may be some people's tipping point, especially with their favorites still nowhere to be found.

If the idea of Goku in Smash was ever seriously floated around, they need to kill it right now. It's not worth it. Nintendo should know by now that they need to satisfy their actual fans, and not the hypothetical ones, so for their sake I'd rather them stick to the current top choices.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Guys...

Can we stay on Mt. ICies for DLC???

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So I've been thinking about a new Ice Climbers game recently. I've heard ideas saying that it should be reimagined as a reversed version of Spelunky, a revamped version of the old one, or even like the snow levels of Super Mario 3D World.

While I could live with any one of those, I think that if we were to bring back the IC's, I would want their game to be big. One that implements tactics of what we've seen from them in Smash (seeing that they've had more Smash Bros appearances than anything else), and a touching story. So my idea for the Ice Climber's revival is to turn the series into an adventure game, and it goes a little something like this:

Prologue-
We find ourselves in Icetop village, a small village atop the tallest of the 32 mountains. Despite the uninhabitable living conditions of this village, the Icetopian people make it work thanks to a group of people known as "the Ice Climbers". The Ice Climbers are gifted with the ability to "control ice". Their powers are very limited mind you, but for hundreds of years the Ice Climbers have gone out and got the necessary food to sustain their people all thanks to these very powers.

Once a year every year, these Climbers would go out and collect the "sacred food"; the only food that has the ability to farm in the terrible conditions of Icetop. Despite it's hardiness, every year the sacred food succumbs to a mysterious frost at the end of the year, so every year the Ice Climbers most climb down, and get more or their village will starve.

This year, the Climbers went out in the mysterious frost never to return. The only two "frost-adept" Icetopians left are children, a girl from the west-side of the village name Nana, and a boy from central Icetop named Popo. With the threat of starvation, they are sent to collect the sacred foods with the last trained Condor as their only guide.

Since infancy, Nana and Popo have been best friends. The only two kids with powers, they spent much time together learning to harness them in hopes to one day day grow up, and become Ice Climbers like their parents. They learned to fight with giant mallets to ward off the Topis, and other "frost-resistant" monsters the elder Ice Climbers told tales about. If it wasn't for the tragedy, this would be the greatest moment of their lives.

After many heartfelt goodbyes, Nana and Popo hop on the back of the great Condor and take flight to Penguin Island (sometimes shortened to Pen Island) to collect the first of the sacred foods. Before they arrive, the mysterious frost hits again, startling the Condor, who then bucks and throws Popo clean off, Nana quickly dives off after him into the great white mist. It's silent now.

The Game-
They'll wake up at their destination of Pen Island, with 2/3's of their health gone, in the company of the locals, The Waddles(which are Penguins). Now that they're awake the Waddles take them to their King, a star-gazing, hammer-carrying, giant penguin (Waddle) known as King Dedede (yeah him:4dedede:).

There he will teach you some tricks on how to better use your hammers, tell you a couple stories about his dreams of living amongst the stars, give you your sacred fruit, and send you on your way. After that the game will follow a very non-linear structure. With you having the option to climb the mountains, and avoid all the rift-raft, or attempt to collect all 32 foods. Along the way you'll meet a sunglasses-wearing Polar Bear who'll trade you sacred fruit for some "party-starters" (mushrooms), a psychopathic, fat-shaming, musclebound walrus who stole the sacred fruit "because he needs juice to get ripped", and eventually the cause of the mysterious frost (and many others).

The game will play much like a Legend of Zelda game, with better platforming elements, allowing for bigger jumps, and a looser feel. The music will vary from village to village, but when scaling the mountains there will be no music, just the cold, wicked winds whipping across the sky.

So what does everyone think? Would anybody want to see an Ice Climber game like that?

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So I've been thinking about a new Ice Climbers game recently. I've heard ideas saying that it should be reimagined as a reversed version of Spelunky, a revamped version of the old one, or even like the snow levels of Super Mario 3D World.

While I could live with any one of those, I think that if we were to bring back the IC's, I would want their game to be big. One that implements tactics of what we've seen from them in Smash (seeing that they've had more Smash Bros appearances than anything else), and a touching story. So my idea for the Ice Climber's revival is to turn the series into an adventure game, and it goes a little something like this:

Prologue-
We find ourselves in Icetop village, a small village atop the tallest of the 32 mountains. Despite the uninhabitable living conditions of this village, the Icetopian people make it work thanks to a group of people known as "the Ice Climbers". The Ice Climbers are gifted with the ability to "control ice". Their powers are very limited mind you, but for hundreds of years the Ice Climbers have gone out and got the necessary food to sustain their people all thanks to these very powers.

Once a year every year, these Climbers would go out and collect the "sacred food"; the only food that has the ability to farm in the terrible conditions of Icetop. Despite it's hardiness, every year the sacred food succumbs to a mysterious frost at the end of the year, so every year the Ice Climbers most climb down, and get more or their village will starve.

This year, the Climbers went out in the mysterious frost never to return. The only two "frost-adept" Icetopians left are children, a girl from the west-side of the village name Nana, and a boy from central Icetop named Popo. With the threat of starvation, they are sent to collect the sacred foods with the last trained Condor as their only guide.

Since infancy, Nana and Popo have been best friends. The only two kids with powers, they spent much time together learning to harness them in hopes to one day day grow up, and become Ice Climbers like their parents. They learned to fight with giant mallets to ward off the Topis, and other "frost-resistant" monsters the elder Ice Climbers told tales about. If it wasn't for the tragedy, this would be the greatest moment of their lives.

After many heartfelt goodbyes, Nana and Popo hop on the back of the great Condor and take flight to Penguin Island (sometimes shortened to Pen Island) to collect the first of the sacred foods. Before they arrive, the mysterious frost hits again, startling the Condor, who then bucks and throws Popo clean off, Nana quickly dives off after him into the great white mist. It's silent now.

The Game-
They'll wake up at their destination of Pen Island, with 2/3's of their health gone, in the company of the locals, The Waddles. Now that they're awake the Waddles take them to their King, a star-gazing, hammer-carrying, giant penguin (Waddle) known as King Dedede (yeah him:4dedede:).

There he will teach you some tricks on how to better use your hammers, tell you a couple stories about his dreams of living amongst the stars, give you your sacred fruit, and send you on your way. After that the game will follow a very non-linear structure. With you having the option to climb the mountains, and avoid all the rift-raft, or attempt to collect all 32 foods. Along the way you'll meet a sunglasses-wearing Polar Bear who'll trade you sacred fruit for some "party-starters" (mushrooms), and psychopathic, fat-shaming, musclebound walrus who stole the sacred fruit "because he needs juice to get ripped", and eventually the cause of the mysterious frost.

The game will play much like a Legend of Zelda game, with better platforming elements, allowing for bigger jumps, and a looser feel. The music will vary from village to village, but when scaling the mountains there will be no music, just the cold, wicked winds whipping across the sky.

So what does everyone think? Would anybody want to see an Ice Climber game like that?
No Kirby character plz. Also I always imagined Popo and Nana as siblings.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
No Kirby character plz. Also I always imagined Popo and Nana as siblings.
I'm sticking with how I wrote it. I always envisioned a game with a ton of references. This is just one of many.

Edit: Also do you not like the prologue? I thought it was pretty good, but idk.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman

Prologue-

The Game-
They'll wake up at their destination of Pen Island, with 2/3's of their health gone, in the company of the locals, The Waddles. Now that they're awake the Waddles take them to their King, a star-gazing, hammer-carrying, giant penguin (Waddle) known as King Dedede (yeah him:4dedede:).

There he will teach you some tricks on how to better use your hammers, tell you a couple stories about his dreams of living amongst the stars, give you your sacred fruit, and send you on your way. After that the game will follow a very non-linear structure. With you having the option to climb the mountains, and avoid all the rift-raft, or attempt to collect all 32 foods. Along the way you'll meet a sunglasses-wearing Polar Bear who'll trade you sacred fruit for some "party-starters" (mushrooms), and psychopathic, fat-shaming, musclebound walrus who stole the sacred fruit "because he needs juice to get ripped", and eventually the cause of the mysterious frost.

Cute idea! I'd change some of the names maybe. Is there a real world location to take cues from? Like, how do people living in mountains, well, live, how can the environment be made diverse and interesting, maybe some folklore could be implemented. Making the game take place in a mountainous setting requires imagination to keep it from getting monotonous.

Brb, researching mountains

Also, I know you didn't write it, but no romance. I always viewed them as siblings (and young ones), so when people talk of IC romance it seems incestuous to me. Keep their origins vague to appease different crowds?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Cute idea! I'd change some of the names maybe. Is there a real world location to take cues from? Like, how do people living in mountains, well, live, how can the environment be made diverse and interesting, maybe some folklore could be implemented. Making the game take place in a mountainous setting requires imagination to keep it from getting monotonous.

Brb, researching mountains
Names are very much working titles (the Pen Island was a Bajo-Kazooieesque double entendre). My idea for different areas mostly right now are deep caves, pirate villages, and huge castled areas. Remember not all mountains have to be covered in ice. The only things I don't want is desert like areas, everything else is good to go with a little imagination.

Edit: I don't see them as siblings at all. I don't know where the assumption came from, but they won't be siblings in my fake game. That being said, I never intended a romance either, just a good friendship akin to Banjo and Kazooie. If fans want to make their weird fanfics that'd be for them to do (they'll do it anyway), but not me.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya no, I've never seen them as siblings either. There's a lot more you can do with your imagination when they're not siblings. It just seems much better.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Names are very much working titles (the Pen Island was a Bajo-Kazooieesque double entendre). My idea for different areas mostly right now are deep caves, pirate villages, and huge castled areas. Remember not all mountains have to be covered in ice. The only things I don't want is desert like areas, everything else is good to go with a little imagination.

Edit: I don't see them as siblings at all. I don't know where the assumption came from, but they won't be siblings in my fake game. That being said, I never intended a romance either, just a good friendship akin to Banjo and Kazooie. If fans want to make their weird fanfics that'd be for them to do (they'll do it anyway), but not me.
We know almost nothing about them. I, and others, thought of them as siblings because of how similar they looked. A blood relationship also seems a better reason for these two young (do we even know their age? They look like kids) people to climb mountains as opposed to friendship, although I don't deny friendship can be a strong bond. And some people see a boy and a girl together and immediately assume "lovers!" Sakurai called them more than friends, less than lovers, so he seems to be on the not related side.

After a cursory read on mountains, hill people, and the Inuit, it seems that no people live on mountains that are year round snowy. The Inuit lived in the Arctic circle, which had permafrost year round and very long winters. They seemed to move to mountains occasionally. They were nomadic, as it seems lots of hill people are. Fishing and hunting was key, since agriculture was impossible. Isolation is often part of mountain people's lives (though warfare does happen).

So with all that I've read, I thought about an Ice Climbers game where the enemy was nature. Not a villain or a group. Just survival in one of the harshest environments for humans. To keep the game interesting, there could be moments of inter-clan warfare, but the ultimate fight, the "final boss, " if you will, should be climbing a mountain. Like an Everest documentary. The fighting you will have done will seem meaningless on comparison to the forces of nature. You will understand the sublime*, man's helplessness and amazement at the enormity of nature. /19th century philosophy

I tried thinking of a plot to accommodate this. Perhaps a trip home? Through some bizarre series of events (kidnapped by polar bears?) you are far from home. You are alone, except for your partner (you can choose between Popo and Nana as an aesthetic choice for "main" character, but you can switch in a Pikmin 2 like matter, and it won't affect the plot). You'll encounter lone friendlies, hostile tribes, and long stretches of humanless territory where survival is key. So it's an adventure game with limited combat and survival elements.

I was bored.

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublime_(philosophy)
"The experience of the sublime involves a self-forgetfulness where personal fear is replaced by a sense of well-being and security when confronted with an object exhibiting superior might, and is similar to the experience of the tragic. The "tragic consciousness" is the capacity to gain an exalted state of consciousness from the realization of the unavoidable suffering destined for all men and that there are oppositions in life that can never be resolved, most notably that of the "forgiving generosity of deity" subsumed to "inexorable fate"."
The idea being to embody this principle, not talk about it or explain it. Don't wanna get too esoteric.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We know almost nothing about them. I, and others, thought of them as siblings because of how similar they looked. A blood relationship also seems a better reason for these two young (do we even know their age? They look like kids) people to climb mountains as opposed to friendship, although I don't deny friendship can be a strong bond. And some people see a boy and a girl together and immediately assume "lovers!" Sakurai called them more than friends, less than lovers, so he seems to be on the not related side.

After a cursory read on mountains, hill people, and the Inuit, it seems that no people live on mountains that are year round snowy. The Inuit lived in the Arctic circle, which had permafrost year round and very long winters. They seemed to move to mountains occasionally. They were nomadic, as it seems lots of hill people are. Fishing and hunting was key, since agriculture was impossible. Isolation is often part of mountain people's lives (though warfare does happen).

So with all that I've read, I thought about an Ice Climbers game where the enemy was nature. Not a villain or a group. Just survival in one of the harshest environments for humans. To keep the game interesting, there could be moments of inter-clan warfare, but the ultimate fight, the "final boss, " if you will, should be climbing a mountain. Like an Everest documentary. The fighting you will have done will seem meaningless on comparison to the forces of nature. You will understand the sublime*, man's helplessness and amazement at the enormity of nature. /19th century philosophy

I tried thinking of a plot to accommodate this. Perhaps a trip home? Through some bizarre series of events (kidnapped by polar bears?) you are far from home. You are alone, except for your partner (you can choose between Popo and Nana as an aesthetic choice for "main" character, but you can switch in a Pikmin 2 like matter, and it won't affect the plot). You'll encounter lone friendlies, hostile tribes, and long stretches of humanless territory where survival is key. So it's an adventure game with limited combat and survival elements.

I was bored.

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublime_(philosophy)
"The experience of the sublime involves a self-forgetfulness where personal fear is replaced by a sense of well-being and security when confronted with an object exhibiting superior might, and is similar to the experience of the tragic. The "tragic consciousness" is the capacity to gain an exalted state of consciousness from the realization of the unavoidable suffering destined for all men and that there are oppositions in life that can never be resolved, most notably that of the "forgiving generosity of deity" subsumed to "inexorable fate"."
The idea being to embody this principle, not talk about it or explain it. Don't wanna get too esoteric.
I kinda explained why they'd be going on this trip together. They're the only Ice Climbers left, the only people left in that village who could survive outside of it. That's why they leave together, because they're forced to. They're excited about it, because they've always wanted to, but their premature adventure is out of necessity not for fun.

The world is imaginary, and their village is used as a plot device, and purpose for conflict (the death of the other Ice Climbers, is their call to action) I'm not really focusing on the realistic nature of a game that has talking animals, and ice-bending children. I would like a more Journey-ish feel to the game though, so making the ever present danger of nature is a welcome addition, but I'd like for there to be more than that.

They are far from home. As said in the OP, a Condor is taking them to their destination when a mysterious wind breaks them up. They awake there anyway, but with no Condor and a long way to home.

I want the idea of the game to be mostly about survival, I want the boss battles and random Topi encounters (they attack you and steal your food) to be terrifying, and the ever-present possibility of starvation to loom; I want there to be a moment where you find the Condor, and you have to decide whether or not you have enough food to spare for it to survive. But I also want the game to have it's whimsical moments, and overall obscure sense of humor to give the game a real sense of personality. I think my idea could do that very well.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I'm completely against Goku because, unless I'm mistaken, he has no notable ties to Nintendo. Shantae is a good character to have in Smash because the series was, up until very recently, a third party game in the skin of a second party game (it was officially only ever on Nintendo until Risky's Revenge was remade for smartphone), and it is one of the most-loved franchises on Nintendo consoles. In my eyes, if it has had a notable release on a Nintendo console (for example, Shovel Knight was a big release for Nintendo, but none of the Dragon Ball games are notable), it is up for grabs. This means series such Shantae, Banjo Kazooie, Golden Sun, Inazuma Eleven and Shovel Knight are all good options in my eyes. Sakurai needs to take notable games from Nintendo's history - such as Ice Climber (basically what got the Nintendo to start shifting NES consoles in Europe), Banjo Kazooie (generally considered the one of (if not the) best platforming series on the N64) and... I don't think any major first party IPs before Splatoon are not currently present in smash... - into consideration alongside recent best-sellers such as Shovel Knight and Splatoon, as they are what will attract the most new fans to the game. I think that the most likely list of new characters that will appear in SSB4 (assuming the Ice Climbers make it in in some form or another) will be IC, Wolf, Banjo and Kazooie, King K. Rool, Shantae, Inkling, Shovel Knight and Issac. There may be a few other veterans (Squirtile, Ivysaur, Pichu - I doubt Snake has a shot) and second/third party characters from big-name developers tied in with Nintendo such as Level-5 (notable for the Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven series, being one of the ten biggest video game developers in Japan), Intelligent Systems and Game Freak, but overall I feel that the initial list is the most likely set of characters to appear. Fourth party names - such as Dragon Ball and Naruto - and third/fourth party characters that appear on for promotional purposes/rhythm games - such as Hatsune Miku - shouldn't appear in Smash as they have no real link to any of Nintendo's history.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I kinda explained why they'd be going on this trip together. They're the only Ice Climbers left, the only people left in that village who could survive outside of it. That's why they leave together, because they're forced to. They're excited about it, because they've always wanted to, but their premature adventure is out of necessity not for fun.

The world is imaginary, and their village is used as a plot device, and purpose for conflict (the death of the other Ice Climbers, is their call to action) I'm not really focusing on the realistic nature of a game that has talking animals, and ice-bending children. I would like a more Journey-ish feel to the game though, so making the ever present danger of nature is a welcome addition, but I'd like for there to be more than that.

They are far from home. As said in the OP, a Condor is taking them to their destination when a mysterious wind breaks them up. They awake there anyway, but with no Condor and a long way to home.

I want the idea of the game to be mostly about survival, I want the boss battles and random Topi encounters (they attack you and steal your food) to be terrifying, and the ever-present possibility of starvation to loom; I want there to be a moment where you find the Condor, and you have to decide whether or not you have enough food to spare for it to survive. But I also want the game to have it's whimsical moment, and overall obscure sense of humor to give the game a real sense of personality. I think my idea could do that very well.
So...some things in common with EarthBound? Nice, I just beat that game 2 months ago! Now, how serious would the plot be/how focused is the game on the final, overall goal? (Out of 10, where 1 is not very, 10 is completely focused on said goal).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So...some things in common with EarthBound? Nice, I just beat that game 2 months ago! Now, how serious would the plot be/how focused is the game on the final, overall goal? (Out of 10, where 1 is not very, 10 is completely focused on said goal).
It's hard to say right now, maybe 7/10. Obviously this isn't a real game, but I'd like to think that there'd be a lot of side-quest/mini game type things when you hit certain villages to keep your mind off of the overall end game a little bit. In the end, I want the game to feel like a LoZ/Journey/Earthbound type game on ice with platforming elements. Ambitious yes, but I think/hope it's possible.

I'm completely against Goku because, unless I'm mistaken, he has no notable ties to Nintendo. Shantae is a good character to have in Smash because the series was, up until very recently, a third party game in the skin of a second party game (it was officially only ever on Nintendo until Risky's Revenge was remade for smartphone), and it is one of the most-loved franchises on Nintendo consoles. In my eyes, if it has had a notable release on a Nintendo console (for example, Shovel Knight was a big release for Nintendo, but none of the Dragon Ball games are notable), it is up for grabs. This means series such Shantae, Banjo Kazooie, Golden Sun, Inazuma Eleven and Shovel Knight are all good options in my eyes. Sakurai needs to take notable games from Nintendo's history - such as Ice Climber (basically what got the Nintendo to start shifting NES consoles in Europe), Banjo Kazooie (generally considered the one of (if not the) best platforming series on the N64) and... I don't think any major first party IPs before Splatoon are not currently present in smash... - into consideration alongside recent best-sellers such as Shovel Knight and Splatoon, as they are what will attract the most new fans to the game. I think that the most likely list of new characters that will appear in SSB4 (assuming the Ice Climbers make it in in some form or another) will be IC, Wolf, Banjo and Kazooie, King K. Rool, Shantae, Inkling, Shovel Knight and Issac. There may be a few other veterans (Squirtile, Ivysaur, Pichu - I doubt Snake has a shot) and second/third party characters from big-name developers tied in with Nintendo such as Level-5 (notable for the Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven series, being one of the ten biggest video game developers in Japan), Intelligent Systems and Game Freak, but overall I feel that the initial list is the most likely set of characters to appear. Fourth party names - such as Dragon Ball and Naruto - and third/fourth party characters that appear on for promotional purposes/rhythm games - such as Hatsune Miku - shouldn't appear in Smash as they have no real link to any of Nintendo's history.
I just don't want him. I think he'd be a terrible fit in a game like this, I think it's stupid how some people think it should be up for discussion. I'd love for Sakurai to address what characters will and won't be considered again. I think it could help us IC fans out a lot. I know Goku fans won't take no for an answer, but I'll be happy to get get another confirmation that he's NOT going to even be considered again. I'm kinda uneasy about him possibly trying to "outdo" himself after the Ryu addition. I feel like he thinks that should've been a way bigger deal than it was, and he wants a "Holy ****" kinda reaction.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm completely against Goku because, unless I'm mistaken, he has no notable ties to Nintendo. Shantae is a good character to have in Smash because the series was, up until very recently, a third party game in the skin of a second party game (it was officially only ever on Nintendo until Risky's Revenge was remade for smartphone), and it is one of the most-loved franchises on Nintendo consoles.
lol this is totally not true. Shantae on GBC sold poorly and was very niche since it came out late in the console's history. Shantae only reached popularity recently on Kickstarter.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
@ FunAtParties FunAtParties

Oh, I was just offering a different conceptualization of an IC game, not correcting yours. My post was meant to stand independently of yours. Since the Ice Climbers "canon" is so sparse, you can take the original material in a lot of different directions.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
@ FunAtParties FunAtParties

Oh, I was just offering a different conceptualization of an IC game, not correcting yours. My post was meant to stand independently of yours. Since the Ice Climbers "canon" is so sparse, you can take the original material in a lot of different directions.
True, and I think yours and mine can work very well together honestly. Obviously we differ on certain things that either go one way or the other (the sibling thing), but the sense of nature of yours can fit well with mine I think. I wanted my "game" to feel very open and desolate for the majority of it believe it or not, I was just trying to sum it up with the main plot.

lol this is totally not true. Shantae on GBC sold poorly and was very niche since it came out late in the console's history. Shantae only reached popularity recently on Kickstarter.
True, but being loved doesn't necessarily translate into sales. Bayonetta, Metroid, Earthbound, and many others can speak for that.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
How the hell can you guys even be talking about freak'n Goku... in the Ice Climbers thread. Shame on you all, thats not "Cool"

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
How the hell can you guys even be talking about freak'n Goku... in the Ice Climbers thread. Shame on you all, thats not "Cool"
Somebody brought him up, and we discussed him. I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like we have a ton of amazing Ice Climbers news for us to talk about right now.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
True, and I think yours and mine can work very well together honestly. Obviously we differ on certain things that either go one way or the other (the sibling thing), but the sense of nature of yours can fit well with mine I think. I wanted my "game" to feel very open and desolate for the majority of it believe it or not, I was just trying to sum it up with the main plot.

True, but being loved doesn't necessarily translate into sales. Bayonetta, Metroid, Earthbound, and many others can speak for that.
Yes, but Shantae was still not very popular or known until the kickstarter. The others, while niche, still had either massive or very vocal fanbases (Mother). When you put it in the Most Beloved franchises on Nintendo, the bar is set very high and Shantae doesn't reach that. I don't think Bayonetta does either.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yes, but Shantae was still not very popular or known until the kickstarter. The others, while niche, still had either massive or very vocal fanbases (Mother). When you put it in the Most Beloved franchises on Nintendo, the bar is set very high and Shantae doesn't reach that. I don't think Bayonetta does either.
Shantae fans are one of the most vocal ones out there right now. Sure it's probably the most vocal they've ever been, and most of them are probably bandwagoners (points at me), but they're still very vocal.

I know that her franchise isn't really "deserving" of representation or nearly as big as any other third party characters, but if the fans are vocal, and if she's a video game character (which she obviously is) I think she should have a chance. If we're to confine our character choices to boring characters that have some kind of birthright to be in the game, then I don't know if it's worth wanting more characters at all.

The large presence of Shantae all of the sudden is very refreshing to me. I wish there was more niche characters getting this kind of support, because then Sakurai might rethink his selection process.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Shantae fans are one of the most vocal ones out there right now. Sure it's probably the most vocal they've ever been, and most of them are probably bandwagoners (points at me), but they're still very vocal.

I know that her franchise isn't really "deserving" of representation or nearly as big as any other third party characters, but if the fans are vocal, and if she's a video game character (which she obviously is) I think she should have a chance. If we're to confine our character choices to boring characters that have some kind of birthright to be in the game, then I don't know if it's worth wanting more characters at all.

The large presence of Shantae all of the sudden is very refreshing to me. I wish there was more niche characters getting this kind of support, because then Sakurai might rethink his selection process.
Eh, still would rather have Bomberman and Simon Belmont. And Bub from Bubble Bobble. Since he da best. #Bub4Smash
Anyway, we should get back to dem Climbers of Ice.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Eh, still would rather have Bomberman and Simon Belmont. And Bub from Bubble Bobble. Since he da best. #Bub4Smash
Anyway, we should get back to dem Climbers of Ice.
Ok fine (I want Rayman, Bomberman, and Shantae as 3rd party reps whoop), I'll stop.

So those Ice Climbers huh, climbing all that ice, doing neat stuffs. Let's talk about that. Or let's uh talk about what second Ice Climbers rep there should be in future installments, like Speedo Bear or ummmm Topi. I got nothing

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Prologue-

The Game-
They'll wake up at their destination of Pen Island, with 2/3's of their health gone, in the company of the locals, The Waddles(which are Penguins). Now that they're awake the Waddles take them to their King, a star-gazing, hammer-carrying, giant penguin (Waddle) known as King Dedede (yeah him:4dedede:).

There he will teach you some tricks on how to better use your hammers, tell you a couple stories about his dreams of living amongst the stars, give you your sacred fruit, and send you on your way. After that the game will follow a very non-linear structure. With you having the option to climb the mountains, and avoid all the rift-raft, or attempt to collect all 32 foods. Along the way you'll meet a sunglasses-wearing Polar Bear who'll trade you sacred fruit for some "party-starters" (mushrooms), a psychopathic, fat-shaming, musclebound walrus who stole the sacred fruit "because he needs juice to get ripped", and eventually the cause of the mysterious frost (and many others).

This is................beautiful! I love it! Quickly, we must send this to Nintendo in hopes that the Ice Climbers get a new game and THIS becomes the story! BTW, if I were you, I would sort of poke fun at the fact that the big penguin they meet IS :4dedede:, but like most video game cameos do, don't outright mention that it IS him or the Waddle Dees. At most, simply have them make references that they're from the Kirby games, sort of like REALLY, UNBELIEVABLY obvious hints that they are the same characters, but they don't need to outright bring it up. Also, it's weird, but just like @POKEMANSPIKA, I've always believed them to be siblings, ever since I first heard of them through Melee. Then again, during the development cycle of Melee, Sakurai did say that their relationship is up to the player's imagination, so...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
This is................beautiful! I love it! Quickly, we must send this to Nintendo in hopes that the Ice Climbers get a new game and THIS becomes the story! BTW, if I were you, I would sort of poke fun at the fact that the big penguin they meet IS :4dedede:, but like most video game cameos do, don't outright mention that it IS him or the Waddle Dees. At most, simply have them make references that they're from the Kirby games, sort of like REALLY, UNBELIEVABLY obvious hints that they are the same characters, but they don't need to outright bring it up. Also, it's weird, but just like @POKEMANSPIKA, I've always believed them to be siblings, ever since I first heard of them through Melee. Then again, during the development cycle of Melee, Sakurai did say that their relationship is up to the player's imagination, so...
I planned for it to be hinted at and not outright mentioned lol. Just said it for you guys to know. The Waddles (which would just be smaller penguins) would just call him "King" which could explain why once he got to Dreamland he made himself the unofficial king of the the place. It could also explain how Waddle Dees and Doos got the "Waddle" part, King Dedede got homesick. As said before, he'll talk about the stars a lot, and he'll teach you how to swing a hammer. He'll probably be wearing different attire though, just so everything's not a dead giveaway.

Honestly if the idea was ever to be picked up I wouldn't care too much on Nana and Popo's relationship towards each other. I've just always been on the side that says they aren't siblings so that's how I wrote it. If Nintendo came up to me and said it's the only thing standing in the way of this thing becoming a game, I'd change it in a heartbeat, but for now it stays.

I thought it was pretty solid, but the reaction so far has been pretty mixed, so I'm glad you liked it.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing MGS3 lately, so the survival aspect and living off the land is really appealing to me. But incorporating a platforming or combat element makes it something different. I'm normally "RPGs 4 erryone!1!" so I'm trying to come up with something that isn't a generic JRPG.

There's a lot of different types of mountains, but also a lot of arctic scenery to use. So it's possible to have a varied environment without resorting to the boring, generic volcano land, desert land, green land, spooky land, underwater land, ice land.

As can Xenoblade. *gentle weeping*

But Shantae is definitely a niche interest. Unless you're seriously into Gameboy Advance games, indie games, or the Smash ballot, you've probably never heard of her. I know I hadn't until later on in the Smash Ballot's life. Earthbound didn't bring in the cash, but it brought in the fans, and it had fame among Nintendo fans, even though most had probably never played it (pre-Wii U VC release).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I've been playing MGS3 lately, so the survival aspect and living off the land is really appealing to me. But incorporating a platforming or combat element makes it something different. I'm normally "RPGs 4 erryone!1!" so I'm trying to come up with something that isn't a generic JRPG.

There's a lot of different types of mountains, but also a lot of arctic scenery to use. So it's possible to have a varied environment without resorting to the boring, generic volcano land, desert land, green land, spooky land, underwater land, ice land.
I agree. I was thinking that some areas would be a vast, seemingly endless white abyss, where you can't see anything, but the sky for miles.

Think this, but on a mountain.

Then there could be more climbing oriented areas like this:

That could lead to areas like this:

Or this:

I want there to be cold green areas like this:

Castles like this:

And villages like this:

With a night sky that can't be beaten:

There could be so much diversity in beautiful, ice-laden areas, it hurts that a game like this hasn't been made yet.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
But Shantae is definitely a niche interest. Unless you're seriously into Gameboy Advance games, indie games, or the Smash ballot, you've probably never heard of her. I know I hadn't until later on in the Smash Ballot's life. Earthbound didn't bring in the cash, but it brought in the fans, and it had fame among Nintendo fans, even though most had probably never played it (pre-Wii U VC release).
Shantae's not actually on the GBA she's on the GBC and her game came out late in the system's life.
I agree. I was thinking that some areas would be a vast, seemingly endless white abyss, where you can't see anything, but the sky for miles.

Think this, but on a mountain.

Then there could be more climbing oriented areas like this:

That could lead to areas like this:

Or this:

I want there to be cold green areas like this:

Castles like this:

And villages like this:

With a night sky that can't be beaten:

There could be so much diversity in beautiful, ice-laden areas, it hurts that a game like this hasn't been made yet.
Can't forgot Christmas themed areas! Btw has anyone heard of Never Alone? Its a game that uses traditional Alaskan folklore and it kinda screams Ice Climbers to me.

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice

Prologue-

The Game-

Lol I was just like YES! yesss! And then dedede came in and I think drugs were mentioned and it got crazy after all that. Still worth the read though xD.

But hey. Alright. Imagine this. Sakurai was lying the whole time about the 3DS limitations preventing the ICs from getting in. The real cause is... they're getting a whole new epic story/world driven game. And the ICs would be released on Smash once their game
comes out, just like wolf supporters think will be the case for their character, with Star Fox Wii U.

Buuut then again, it would probably have been mentioned at E3 or something. Unless Nintendo is truly that bad at advertising their content :c

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Lol I was just like YES! yesss! And then dedede came in and I think drugs were mentioned and it got crazy after all that. Still worth the read though xD.

But hey. Alright. Imagine this. Sakurai was lying the whole time about the 3DS limitations preventing the ICs from getting in. The real cause is... they're getting a whole new epic story/world driven game. And the ICs would be released on Smash once their game
comes out, just like wolf supporters think will be the case for their character, with Star Fox Wii U.

Buuut then again, it would probably have been mentioned at E3 or something. Unless Nintendo is truly that bad at advertising their content :c
Lol I like the way you think. Now that I think about it, maybe I should've kept the drug references to myself :awesome:.

Shantae's not actually on the GBA she's on the GBC and her game came out late in the system's life.

Can't forgot Christmas themed areas! Btw has anyone heard of Never Alone? Its a game that uses traditional Alaskan folklore and it kinda screams Ice Climbers to me.
No, but that art style is on point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom