• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
*anxiously looking for confirmation that they'll be sold individually*
Uh-oh, I think I missed out on my only chance to get those 3 unscalped now unless preorders will go back up. I also heard about a Mii Fighter 3 pack but IDK.

Also @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch , you now have a reason to avoid Target. Doc is exclusive there.
I never go there anyway. I had a gift card for there, but it's only got $2 left on it.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Is it weird that I hate Dr. Mario in Smash, but still want his amiibo?
I plan to get all of them, but Doc will kinda be one to complement my copy of Dr. Mario and another Melee veteran to add to hold me over for Falco, Mewtwo, eventually ICies, etc.

But one thing the competitive community agrees on, Smash 4 Dr. Mario is a mere shadow of his former Melee self. That recovery tho...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I plan to get all of them, but Doc will kinda be one to complement my copy of Dr. Mario and another Melee veteran to add to hold me over for Falco, Mewtwo, eventually ICies, etc.

But one thing the competitive community agrees on, Smash 4 Dr. Mario is a mere shadow of his former Melee self. That recovery tho...
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Cause if it's a good thing, I don't like it...

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Cause if it's a good thing, I don't like it...
Bad thing. He's often criticized for being very slow and not as versatile as Mario and has one of the worst recoveries. Unlike Melee, where he surpassed both Mario and Luigi in the tier list. If only Mario had his original tornado attack back. As much as I love Sunshine, the F.L.U.D.D. should've got axed. Then Doc could be made an alt and Mario would have 16 colors like Little Mac. And his stats could be altered thanks to customs. But whatever. I trust Sakurai's word that he had no negative impact on the inclusion of anyone else.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Bad thing. He's often criticized for being very slow and not as versatile as Mario and has one of the worst recoveries. Unlike Melee, where he surpassed both Mario and Luigi in the tier list. If only Mario had his original tornado attack back. As much as I love Sunshine, the F.L.U.D.D. should've got axed. Then Doc could be made an alt and Mario would have 16 colors like Little Mac. And his stats could be altered thanks to customs. But whatever. I trust Sakurai's word that he had no negative impact on the inclusion of anyone else.
Why alter his stats? Just make have the pill replace the fire ball, after the costume swap and leave it at that. Dr. Mario shouldn't have any special stats, he's just Mario wearing different clothes. I see no reason why he should be the slower, more powerful version.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Why alter his stats? Just make have the pill replace the fire ball, after the costume swap and leave it at that. Dr. Mario shouldn't have any special stats, he's just Mario wearing different clothes. I see no reason why he should be the slower, more powerful version.
He's been weighed down by his new outfit I guess, while he took certain medications that gave him a damage boost. Stupid fool...

Cool. Anything bad for Doc is good for me. :p

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
That would alienate the people who mained him in Melee.

Doc mains didn't play him because they preferred a lab coat to overalls. They preferred his slower and heavier attacks.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That would alienate the people who mained him in Melee.

Doc mains didn't play him because they preferred a lab coat to overalls. They preferred his slower and heavier attacks.

Characters have changed so much over the years, and we're worried about the slow and heaviness of Doc.:rolleyes:

Sorry I just don't care anymore. I love Melee, and want the gameplay to return, but it's not like the game got everything right. Some things need to change, and everyone holding onto things as insignificant and nonsensical as this is why we can't have nice things.
Dr. Mario is Mario, he needs to be a costume with no changes outside of him throwing pills. Anything more than that is just wasted effort.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I voted indifferent because I believe there are better feasible compromises than a solo Ice Climber. I'd rather have a Wii U exclusive duo, but maybe that's petty selfish talk for me to say that.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Plz add a split IC and a joint IC poll to this alongside SoPo. Also, I can promise you all of the following:
  • Metal Face won't ever be playable as he is a boss character on Gaur Plain (Wii U).
  • Tabuu won't ever be playable as he only exists for the sake of being a smash boss. I'd be all for a DLC boss fight tho!
  • Master Hand won't ever become playable...
  • Toon Shiek doesn't exist, so she won't get into the game. Tetra has a shot tho, being the Wind Waker's equivalent to Shiek (i.e. Zelda in disguise).
  • Pokémon Trainer can only get in if he is split into Squirtile and Ivysaur as Sakurai ditched transformations.
  • They probably won't add a FE: Fate's character until SSB5, but there is still a slim chance (albeit, extremely unlikely).
  • CAN PEOPLE STOP REQUESTING F*CKING GOKU!?! He's never getting into Smash as he is a fourth party character (i.e. the Dragon Ball universe only fits into videogaming through spinoffs) - not a game character.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Plz add a split IC and a joint IC poll to this alongside SoPo. Also, I can promise you all of the following:
  • Metal Face won't ever be playable as he is a boss character on Gaur Plain (Wii U).
  • Tabuu won't ever be playable as he only exists for the sake of being a smash boss. I'd be all for a DLC boss fight tho!
  • Toon Shiek doesn't exist, so she won't get into the game. Tetra has a shot tho, being the Wind Waker's equivalent to Shiek (i.e. Zelda in disguise).
  • Pokémon Trainer can only get in if he is split into Squirtile and Ivysaur as Sakurai ditched transformations.
  • They probably won't add a FE: Fate's character until SSB5, but there is still a slim chance (albeit, extremely unlikely).
  • CAN PEOPLE STOP REQUESTING F*CKING GOKU!?! He's never getting into Smash as he is a fourth party character (i.e. the Dragon Ball universe only fits into videogaming through spinoffs) - not a game character.
I think he meant that Tabuu would be a DLC Boss, but I don't completely know.

Also, I may be hosting a tournament soon, and I'd like it if my friends here on SmashBoards would be in it. I'm still deciding when I should do it, and what the rules will be. But it will require a password to get in, so I'll be posting that for you guys when/if I decide to do it. Besides, I know most of my friends on SmashBoards would beat me, but I need the practice. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
That's a different Goku.
Their both Goku. Eh whatever idk XD

Also, I may be hosting a tournament soon, and I'd like it if my friends here on SmashBoards would be in it. I'm still deciding when I should do it, and what the rules will be. But it will require a password to get in, so I'll be posting that for you guys when/if I decide to do it. Besides, I know most of my friends on SmashBoards would beat me, but I need the practice. Just wanted to let you guys know.
I think he meant Tabuu as a playable character considering that he put Master Hand as one of the polls.

I think it'd be cool if there was a DLC stage called "The Great Maze" which is a tour stage where the final section on the rotation (the final boss room) sumons Tabuu (obviously nerfed from Brawl to the level of stage bosses like Ridley and Metal Face so that you don't spend five minutes in the same section of the rotation) and the stage won't restart the rotation until someone takes it out.

Also I hope that the tourney is compatible with me XD Not the end of the world if its not tho :)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Their both Goku. Eh whatever idk XD

I think he meant Tabuu as a playable character considering that he put Master Hand as one of the polls.

I think it'd be cool if there was a DLC stage called "The Great Maze" which is a tour stage where the final section on the rotation (the final boss room) sumons Tabuu (obviously nerfed from Brawl to the level of stage bosses like Ridley and Metal Face so that you don't spend five minutes in the same section of the rotation) and the stage won't restart the rotation until someone takes it out.

Also I hope that the tourney is compatible with me XD Not the end of the world if its not tho :)
That'd be a great throwback to the SSE. Still upset there's no story mode in this game. Sigh...

Don't worry, I'll be posting the time for it once I figure it out, and before the tournament starts. If you can't make it just don't join.

Furret24

Smash Master
I voted no for SoPo. Outside of removing their uniqueness, it would make them far too different from their previous incarnations (not that I really liked the Ice Climbers all that much).

Also, hi. This is my first time here.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey Furret. What brings you over here from the G&W thread?

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey Furret. What brings you over here from the G&W thread?
I've been going through random character threads and happened to stumble onto this one. Not really the biggest fan of the Ice Climbers, but their fanbase support is pretty incredible.

I also wanted to ask this question to everyone here: If the Ice Climbers did happen to make it in, would they be buffed or nerfed? I'm on nerfed, due to the removal of chain-grabs, but I want to know what others think.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I've been going through random character threads and happened to stumble onto this one. Not really the biggest fan of the Ice Climbers, but their fanbase support is pretty incredible.

I also wanted to ask this question to everyone here: If the Ice Climbers did happen to make it in, would they be buffed or nerfed? I'm on nerfed, due to the removal of chain-grabs, but I want to know what others think.
I'm thinking nerfed as well, at least competitively. But they'll probably be just as balanced as the rest of the roster.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Probably nerfed, I don't see them being automatic top tier like they've been without the grabs. I was hoping there'd be a way for their chain-grabs to return, but right now I wouldn't care just as long as they're in the game.

Mariofan5000

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariofan5020
3DS FC
4828-7793-1290
Here's an idea: Have one or both of them 30FPS if they won't run smoothly otherwise, and don't let the player play on certain stages if too many players use them and lag the stage. 8-Player Smash already does that.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So...make them the slowest characters in the game, with the slowest moveset?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Here's an idea: Have one or both of them 30FPS if they won't run smoothly otherwise, and don't let the player play on certain stages if too many players use them and lag the stage. 8-Player Smash already does that.
The response you'll get from most 3DS owners is along the lines of "No not good enough. I already feel left out enough, so I don't want a gimped version of a real popular character, I'd rather not have that character in the game at all" or "No that would just look weird". Source? Conversations I've had my poll "Would you be fine with the 3DS version getting Sopo?" (or something along those lines).

Most 3DS only owners refuse to compromise for ****.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
The response you'll get from most 3DS owners is along the lines of "No not good enough. I already feel left out enough, so I don't want a gimped version of a real popular character, I'd rather not have that character in the game at all" or "No that would just look weird". Source? Conversations I've had my poll "Would you be fine with the 3DS version getting Sopo?" (or something along those lines).

Meh. Like anything that happens, I'm sure we'd deal with it. Especially if they've already purchased the game. Though honestly I can't bring myself to say that Smash 4 would survive without DLC. I think that's one of the main reasons I still play as often as I do now.

Mariofan5000

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariofan5020
3DS FC
4828-7793-1290

I meant 30 FPS only if they lag the specific fight, not all the time.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I know that, it won't matter to them. I've read every detractors statements, I can say with confidence at least 30% of people don't want to compromise at all. That's enough for Sakurai to justify the cut, and not putting any more effort into the IC's.

Meh. Like anything that happens, I'm sure we'd deal with it. Especially if they've already purchased the game.
I'm sure they'd accept it after it happened, but I don't see Sakurai doing it without more positivity behind the idea.

Though honestly I can't bring myself to say that Smash 4 would survive without DLC. I think that's one of the main reasons I still play as often as I do now.
Honestly neither would I. It's a good game, but the online needs a lot of work, I still want Melee like gameplay, and my favorite characters were cut. I can't imagine myself paying attention to this game this long without the possibility of DLC at this point.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Different Goku as someone mentioned. Nintendo actually owns this Goku.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Imagine what that would do to online though.
1) Ice Climber v Ice Climber would be impossible online--definitely in four-player smash. 1V1 smash though? Probably still allowed. Just limit stage choice, perhaps. Not a big deal, but sorta sucky. But still definitely bearable. I could see it being made possible, but it really does seem like a big deal to handle one character. Then again, it's a highly demanded character and a veteran.
2) Online on the 3DS would probably be limited to --

wait wait. You might be right (unless somebody can come up with some sort of system that doesn't run into these issues). It actually might make things a little too weird? Because imagine four people on the 3DS just so happen to want to play as the ICs. Granted, that's rare for any four people to want to play as the same character, at least in my experience. Still. What would be done then? Once everybody hits "OK," do two/however many people then need to be kicked out? That would be an issue, definitely.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655

Ice Climbers only
Freezie items
Summit (or ya know, what's available)

I'd say nerf them in the grab department first and foremost, but (if they return as a duo) make it balanced in a way where when your partner is gone, your'e not completely gimped and can stand a chance on your own. It' kinda hard to explain, but I was also thinking maybe nerf their paired up power and have them unable to separate and act more as a single entity character.
I don't know, 30FPS on one mey help a little, but it would look awkward on the eyes. Sakurai did mention that they removed a bunch of joints with little to no success. And yeah, 3DS owners just simply won't accept anything less which becomes problematic. Not that I blame them for wanting better, just vicariously feeling the conflict Sakurai must be feeling. So I have a gut feeling that the 30FPS idea won't quite do it.

Also thinking about 8PS, when people question ICies' ability to be compatible, they don't take into consideration that if the models for all the other characters get restructured, the same will be the case for ICies to optimize performance. Just a passing thought.
Maybe that too, but not totally sure.
I know that, it won't matter to them. I've read every detractors statements, I can say with confidence at least 30% of people don't want to compromise at all. That's enough for Sakurai to justify the cut, and not putting any more effort into the IC's.

I'm sure they'd accept it after it happened, but I don't see Sakurai doing it without more positivity behind the idea.

Honestly neither would I. It's a good game, but the online needs a lot of work, I still want Melee like gameplay, and my favorite characters were cut. I can't imagine myself paying attention to this game this long without the possibility of DLC at this point.
The main issue I have with the 3DS version existing. The decisions made with the two versions split the market and fanbase. In situations like this, it's been pretty destructive. If I, an owner of both versions, am willing to compromise for anything at this point just to get Nana and Popo on the battlefield, why aren't others? And yeah, it kinda makes me feel selfish thinking that DLC helped expand the appeal, but I honestly wouldn't have played it as much if Mewtwo never came back. Yeah, if my two most wanted and most feared for characters, Mewtwo and Ice Climbers, didn't come back at all, you'd bet I'm going back to Melee and Brawl more frequently.
Different Goku as someone mentioned. Nintendo actually owns this Goku.
So many Gokus. So many Roys. So many Ryus.

*sigh* If Roy is the last Melee veteran to be added, I'm gonna flip a table.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Ice Climbers only
Freezie items
Summit (or ya know, what's available)

I'd say nerf them in the grab department first and foremost, but (if they return as a duo) make it balanced in a way where when your partner is gone, your'e not completely gimped and can stand a chance on your own. It' kinda hard to explain, but I was also thinking maybe nerf their paired up power and have them unable to separate and act more as a single entity character.
I really hope they don't nerf them at the grab department at all. I think it's cool to have a grappler character. I think, since it's harder to escape a grab the higher the percentage, I think the IC's chain grab can start working at around 60%. Popo grabs, headbutt, headbutt, throw, Nana grabs, headbutt, headbutt, throw, rinse, and repeat. I think it could work, and since it only becomes "activated" at a certain percentage it won't feel as cheap (it's not a zero-to-death anymore).

I don't know, 30FPS on one mey help a little, but it would look awkward on the eyes. Sakurai did mention that they removed a bunch of joints with little to no success. And yeah, 3DS owners just simply won't accept anything less which becomes problematic. Not that I blame them for wanting better, just vicariously feeling the conflict Sakurai must be feeling. So I have a gut feeling that the 30FPS idea won't quite do it.
I still never understand their point of view. I know it's not cheap, but it isn't impossible to buy the Wii U version. Plus, I wouldn't feel bad if I got a gimped version of some character that only works right on the 3DS. (I would say I wouldn't feel bad if the 3DS had an exclusive character as well, but that's a lie. I paid 20 extra dollars for this game, and feel like that should be worth something.)

The main issue I have with the 3DS version existing. The decisions made with the two versions split the market and fanbase. In situations like this, it's been pretty destructive. If I, an owner of both versions, am willing to compromise for anything at this point just to get Nana and Popo on the battlefield, why aren't others? And yeah, it kinda makes me feel selfish thinking that DLC helped expand the appeal, but I honestly wouldn't have played it as much if Mewtwo never came back. Yeah, if my two most wanted and most feared for characters, Mewtwo and Ice Climbers, didn't come back at all, you'd bet I'm going back to Melee and Brawl more frequently.
The community has been split ever since Brawl. When you don't just improve on the tried and true formula, and try and switch it up, people are going to complain about it, while others will defend it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I expected this kind of reaction, but I honestly thought it would be more more subdued.

I made that poll awhile ago, thinking that the results would be overwhelmingly in favor of doing anything possible to get the IC's back, and I didn't see that. Sure 50%+ said they would which is the majority after all, but there was like 35%+ detractors or something like that, which isn't nothing, who wanted nothing to do with it. I can see why Sakurai, gets upset. Dude can't win.

As for the DLC, I wouldn't feel selfish. It was very clear fans wanted Mewtwo back, and we didn't get him in the final roster. I was considering not even buying the game when I saw the leak. Characters are a big part of the game, and if the main fan requests continue to get ignored, they'll learn that. It's not like we owe them aour money, they gotta make stuff we want to earn it. That's how business works. So really, they're lucky that a lot of us have the patience to wait, and pay for characters that probably should've already been in the game.

Furret24

Smash Master
I really hope they don't nerf them at the grab department at all. I think it's cool to have a grappler character. I think, since it's harder to escape a grab the higher the percentage, I think the IC's chain grab can start working at around 60%. Popo grabs, headbutt, headbutt, throw, Nana grabs, headbutt, headbutt, throw, rinse, and repeat. I think it could work, and since it only becomes "activated" at a certain percentage it won't feel as cheap (it's not a zero-to-death anymore).
Due to the new grabs mechanics, it wouldn't work, and thank goodness.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Due to the new grabs mechanics, it wouldn't work, and thank goodness.
Hmmm I thought the new grab mechanic didn't allow the specific character grabbing to grab again for at least a second right? So, theoretically Ice Climbers could perform a chain by switching between each other. Am I misunderstanding the new mechanic?

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Hmmm I thought the new grab mechanic didn't allow the specific character grabbing to grab again for at least a second right? So, theoretically Ice Climbers could perform a chain by switching between each other. Am I misunderstanding the new mechanic?
If Nana were to grab while Popo's 1 second wait time is active, they'd nerf it so the same wait time would apply to both climbers.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If Nana were to grab while Popo's 1 second wait time is active, they'd nerf it so the same wait time would apply to both climbers.
I just read up on the grabs. The player getting grabbed has one second of invincibility (but not apparently for DK's cargo throws someone is going to have to explain that to me), after a throw, so no matter who tries to get a grab won't be able to. It's a shame, because I myself like chain-grabs, but whatever. It is what it is.

Top Bottom