• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It is. I'm just saying I'm going to put it on the Dr. Mario support because if I do it to any other character, it's wasting time. This way I can get my point across (of ICies returning as DLC) without having to worry about it showing up on another character's posts, because those characters deserve the support they get.

Lol, not much of a counterarguement but still. Basically, Dr. Mario means nothing, ICies mean a lot.

ICies > Dr. Mario
Dr. Mario didn't take anyone's spot. Him and the other 2 clones were, according to Sakurai a "dessert after a main dish".

Besides, he serves a role of letting fans use Mario's old moveset from Melee. More important than :4lucina:and:4darkpit:at least.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Dr. Mario didn't take anyone's spot. Him and the other 2 clones were, according to Sakurai a "dessert after a main dish".

Besides, he serves a role of letting fans use Mario's old moveset from Melee. More important than :4lucina:and:4darkpit:at least.
*Facepalm*

I want to end this conversation by asking why Melee gets all the love (I'm sick of hearing "Melee, Melee, Melee" all the time, but that's yet another argument I don't want to get in to) and by saying that only 2/3 of the dessert was acceptable in my eyes, and we all have our own opinions.

Last edited:

Number Three

Smash Cadet
I have no idea if it's been brought up here or not, but is it a possibility that the Ice Climbers could be New 3DS exclusive? If the New 3DS can run Xenoblade, then I have a hard time believing it couldn't run Ice Climbers. Then, Sakurai's whole "both versions must have same characters" thing won't get in the way. Though, any way they get in is fine by me. I don't care if it is just one climber and 4 of the color swaps are Popo while 4 are Nana.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
I always thought Nana shouldn't be able to grab items since SOOO many people (*cough cough* my friends at parties *cough cough*) found it cheap how one climber could grab while other had a Home-Run Bat, Hammer(s), Lip's Stick, etc.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
*Facepalm*

I want to end this conversation by asking why Melee gets all the love (I'm sick of hearing "Melee, Melee, Melee" all the time, but that's yet another argument I don't want to get in to) and by saying that only 2/3 of the dessert was acceptable in my eyes, and we all have our own opinions.
Again, they were alts turned characters and had no effect on the roster's outcome.

As for your Melee statement, maybe it's because Melee had more requested characters to choose from that were viable to put in the game?

I mean think about it, :4drmario:was a very easy to make clone and didn't take anyone's spot while :4mewtwo:and:4feroy:are two extremely requested characters and were both No. 1 and No. 2 respectively in popularity before the game came out. They had no issues surrounding their release and were easily made in to the game. Now that those 3 characters are in, I doubt were getting anyone from Melee now.

:4lucas:is in the game now and :wolf:is pretty much guaranteed to be in the game. :squirtle::ivysaur:are most likely not getting in the game with the amount of Pokemon and the number of Gen 1 reps, :snake:is in legal limbo because of Nintendo/Konami, and the :popo:you already know of.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the IC's back. I'm just justifying the return of Melee vets especially considering the ones that were cut haven't been in the game for a really long time and were missed a lot.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Again, they were alts turned characters and had no effect on the roster's outcome.

As for your Melee statement, maybe it's because Melee had more requested characters to choose from that were viable to put in the game?

I mean think about it, :4drmario:was a very easy to make clone and didn't take anyone's spot while :4mewtwo:and:4feroy:are two extremely requested characters and were both No. 1 and No. 2 respectively in popularity before the game came out. They had no issues surrounding their release and were easily made in to the game. Now that those 3 characters are in, I doubt were getting anyone from Melee now.

:4lucas:is in the game now and :wolf:is pretty much guaranteed to be in the game. :squirtle::ivysaur:are most likely not getting in the game with the amount of Pokemon and the number of Gen 1 reps, :snake:is in legal limbo because of Nintendo/Konami, and the :popo:you already know of.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the IC's back. I'm just justifying the return of Melee vets especially considering the ones that were cut haven't been in the game for a really long time and were missed a lot.
I see your points. Can we end this conversation for good now???

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
:squirtle::ivysaur:are most likely not getting in the game with the amount of Pokemon and the number of Gen 1 reps.
:mad:WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY THAT??? :mad: http://smashboards.com/threads/ivysaur-as-a-dlc-vote-now-for-him-in-the-smash-ballot.386368/
Isn't having a 100% unique and original, non-clone move set enough to outweigh popularity?
Nobody wanted :4feroy: back in because they love Fire Emblem Binding Blade, Mother 3 never came outside of Japan so that can't be why :4lucas:is back in, and if being a Gen 1 rep with an original move set wasn't enough to outweigh popularity in the native franchise, Why is :4jigglypuff: still here???
Seriously someone explain to me why :squirtle::ivysaur: "not being popular", despite being one of The Gen 1 starter Pokemon :007: and the #002 :002: in the entire Pokedex, is enough to justify them being permanently cut! :glare:
Why Is This Such a Recurring Statement? :facepalm:

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
:mad:WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY THAT??? :mad: http://smashboards.com/threads/ivysaur-as-a-dlc-vote-now-for-him-in-the-smash-ballot.386368/
Isn't having a 100% unique and original, non-clone move set enough to outweigh popularity?
Nobody wanted :4feroy: back in because they love Fire Emblem Binding Blade, Mother 3 never came outside of Japan so that can't be why :4lucas:is back in, and if being a Gen 1 rep with an original move set wasn't enough to outweigh popularity in the native franchise, Why is :4jigglypuff: still here???
Seriously someone explain to me why :squirtle::ivysaur: "not being popular", despite being one of The Gen 1 starter Pokemon :007: and the #002 :002: in the entire Pokedex, is enough to justify them being permanently cut! :glare:
Well, not many people really want Squirtle and Ivysaur back. Roy and Lucas were right behind Mewtwo in popularity in Smash DLC. Jigglypuff is in Smash mainly because of tradition and people like her.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I would much rather have them not come back and instead bring in Blastoise and Venusaur. It would be cooler to have all 3 Gen 1 Starters fully evolved.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm afraid not. I'd be fine with them returning, but there is an overload of Gen. 1 representatives. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Charizard cut next iteration, and maybe, MAYBE, Mewtwo as well. Unless of course, they're going to have around 65 characters. Then I can see all previous Smash veterans as well as a few newcomers in it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would much rather have them not come back and instead bring in Blastoise and Venusaur. It would be cooler to have all 3 Gen 1 Starters fully evolved.
Yes because Vensaur can totally move and jump around like Ivysaur can. It would make so much sense to make a deformed Venusaur a character instead of a veteran. :glare:

But let's get back on topic.
They could make it so Popo only gets hit.
No need to do that. I'd make it so that Nana doesn't go into her tumbling animation so easily. (she won't be able to recover from it if she has Luma's AI.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
- Don't make that assumption. While theirs a lot of people that want Roy soley for Smash Bros (his game wasn't even released overseas for crying out loud), theirs a handful of people that like him both in Smash and his game.

- He has a huge fanbase supporting his return that loved his game.

- She's apart of the original 12. She can never be cut.

Theirs no doubting Ivy and Squirt are popular. It's just that theirs a certain resentment towards having more Gen 1 Pokemon in the game by both PKMN fans and Smash Bros fans and bringing only one out of the 2 wouldn't feel right really.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, I think if there really are technical limitations, they should change the Ice Climbers like they did with Pokemon Trainer and Zelda. Make it Ice Climber with 4 Popo and 4 Nana alts. Then you can team up with a buddy and pretend you're both playing at the same time.

A lot of Ice Climbers will complain, I'm sure, that that fundamentally changes the character. Maybe it does. Zelda and Pokemon Trainer have been fundamentally changed, in a way. Besides, the name of the game was Ice Climber, singular. :)

Also I see some of you are talking about other cut vets. With Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy back in the game, I really am hoping Squirtle and Ivysaur (they'd have to come together) make it back too. Wolf will, of course. I feel like Snake, Pichu and Young Link are less certain, but hey--anything's possible at this point.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Personally, I think if there really are technical limitations, they should change the Ice Climbers like they did with Pokemon Trainer and Zelda. Make it Ice Climber with 4 Popo and 4 Nana alts. Then you can team up with a buddy and pretend you're both playing at the same time.

A lot of Ice Climbers will complain, I'm sure, that that fundamentally changes the character. Maybe it does. Zelda and Pokemon Trainer have been fundamentally changed, in a way. Besides, the name of the game was Ice Climber, singular. :)

Also I see some of you are talking about other cut vets. With Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy back in the game, I really am hoping Squirtle and Ivysaur (they'd have to come together) make it back too. Wolf will, of course. I feel like Snake, Pichu and Young Link are less certain, but hey--anything's possible at this point.
I mean...one Ice Climber works but...most of us have agreed it's a last resort. We do want to keep them as close to the original character as possible.

But ya, pretty much anything and everything that's been on a Nintendo console or in a Nintendo game is up for grabs now. But I'm pretty sure ICies are near the top of that list.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I guess I could tolerate a solo Ice Climber, just this once... as long as they are back to normal by the next game. I'd still personally like to see them fix the problem with a duo Ice Climbers more though.

This all starts...with a story.

This was written the day the final roster was revealed. As expected, the 3DS version kept them out. And they were so close. A crowd chant, a Polar Bear, and being able to run on the Wii U...all for naught. Game over.

...But today, they've gained an extra life.

Today, Sakurai showed that DLC is possible. Mewtwo will be joining the battle in Spring of 2015.

But what does this mean for the Ice Climbers? Only good things. Allow me to explain.

1. They are likely the most completed characters not in the final game. Based on what we know, these guys were FAR in development. Sakurai said they ran completely fine on the Wii U (guess 8 Player wasn't an issue :D ).
  2. They now have time. Going by what Sakurai said, he didn't work around their issue with a lot of effort due to them being irrelevant and not worth it, essentially. Other characters had to be made first. But now those characters are made. There is now a team working on Mewtwo until Spring. In some of the spare time, they can allocate resources to finding a fix for the Ice Climbers. There's no one else, barring Mewtwo, ahead of them after all. And the groundwork is already laid.
  3. Somewhat minor, but Mewtwo shows that veterans with only trophies can indeed be DLC.

So it's time to join in and climb one last mountain together as Ice Climber fans. Let's join our Arctic Amigos, our Blizzard-bound Buddies, our Frozen friends...and bring them home once again. Smash is all they have, after all. Let's not let them lose that.
I support the Ice Climbers for DLC. Here is my ballot contribution:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Well, not many people really want Squirtle and Ivysaur back. Roy and Lucas were right behind Mewtwo in popularity in Smash DLC. Jigglypuff is in Smash mainly because of tradition and people like her.
I want Squirtle and Ivysaur back! Pokemon Trainer was one of my mains in Brawl and I incorporated all three of them in my play strategies. I can't be the only one in the entire Smash community that feels the loss of the two and the unique play styles that left with them.
Again, all you've said is That not many people want them back, but you have yet to make clear Why that Justifies Not bringing them Back is all I'm ranting about.
Actually I apologize, I snapped at the wrong reply the first time, but Then came This reply ^
- Don't make that assumption. While theirs a lot of people that want Roy soley for Smash Bros (his game wasn't even released overseas for crying out loud), theirs a handful of people that like him both in Smash and his game.

- He has a huge fanbase supporting his return that loved his game.

- She's apart of the original 12. She can never be cut.

Theirs no doubting Ivy and Squirt are popular. It's just that theirs a certain resentment towards having more Gen 1 Pokemon in the game by both PKMN fans and Smash Bros fans and bringing only one out of the 2 wouldn't feel right really.
I didn't mean to knock Fire Emblem Burning Blade or Mother 3 or Jigglypuff, but my point is that if these reasons are enough to bring these two clones and Jigglypuff back again, Ivysaur and Squirtle deserve a fair chance to return too. They deserve more respect that this. There's a distinction between bringing in new Gen 1 reps and not throwing away the ones already there.
And I didn't mean to only bring back one, last Sunday we got 3 DLC characters at once, so why not release both Squirtle ans Ivysaur on the same day too along with Wolf?

I never said nobody wants them back, I said not many (should of clarified to not as much) people want them back.
You're on the Ice Climbers DLC thread, so you must know what it's like to find out your main on the default roster with a unique move set cut and then read torrents of salty first comments that revel and celebrate their exclusion, eager to let you know you are alone in your loss.

I've lost more than just the Ice Climbers. Squirtle and Ivysaur don't even Have a developmental excuse.

But, with Charizard on his own now I don't see much of a chance for them to come back. I'll admit that a chance does exist, but I think it's a bit slim.
Original non-clone move sets. Why is this still so hard to understand that this might put them as a priority?
Roy and Lucas came first behind Mewtwo because they got finished faster. Wolf's most likely to come next because he's most likely to finish faster. Mewtwo came first because he was the starting experiment.

With all the extra money Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu have generated, on top of the game's own initial profits they should have enough funds to rebuild Squirtle and Ivysaur now. They had the money to make Ryu after all. Why stop digging now that they've struck gold?

But honestly, I think since Sakurai already had the chance to rework Ice Climbers into Ice Climber and didn't take it,
...Yet. Who knows, DLC train hasn't stopped yet!

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I want Squirtle and Ivysaur back! Pokemon Trainer was one of my mains in Brawl and I incorporated all three of them in my play strategies. I can't be the only one in the entire Smash community that feels the loss of the two and the unique play styles that left with them.
Again, all you've said is That nobody wants them back, but you have yet to make clear why that Justifies Not bringing them Back is all I'm ranting about.
Actually I apologize, I snapped at the wrong reply the first time, but Then came This reply ^
I never said nobody wants them back, I said not many (should of clarified to not as much) people want them back.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Again, all you've said is That not many people want them back, but you have yet to make clear Why that Justifies Not bringing them Back is all I'm ranting about.

I didn't mean to knock Fire Emblem Burning Blade or Mother 3 or Jigglypuff, but my point is that if these reasons are enough to bring these two clones and Jigglypuff back again, Ivysaur and Squirtle deserve a fair chance to return too. They deserve more respect that this. There's a distinction between bringing in new Gen 1 reps and not throwing away the ones already there.
And I didn't mean to only bring back one, last Sunday we got 3 DLC characters at once, so why not release both Squirtle ans Ivysaur on the same day too along with Wolf?
You're not. Pokèmon Trainer was a good character, and I also incorporated all three Pokèmon into my style as well. But, with Charizard on his own now I don't see much of a chance for them to come back. I'll admit that a chance does exist, but I think it's a bit slim.

D

Deleted member

You're not. Pokèmon Trainer was a good character, and I also incorporated all three Pokèmon into my style as well. But, with Charizard on his own now I don't see much of a chance for them to come back. I'll admit that a chance does exist, but I think it's a bit slim.
Well I think most people thought Roy or Lucas wouldn't come back. Some (fools) thought Mewtwo wouldn't come back. Pretty sure no one was expecting Ryu. But now that, of the DLC so far, we've gotten 3 veteran fighters, I'd say seeing more is likely.

But honestly, I think since Sakurai already had the chance to rework Ice Climbers into Ice Climber and didn't take it, I suspect we won't see them back until a new version of Smash is made. Gotta save something for the next Smash game, right?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well I think most people thought Roy or Lucas wouldn't come back. Some (fools) thought Mewtwo wouldn't come back. Pretty sure no one was expecting Ryu. But now that, of the DLC so far, we've gotten 3 veteran fighters, I'd say seeing more is likely.

But honestly, I think since Sakurai already had the chance to rework Ice Climbers into Ice Climber and didn't take it, I suspect we won't see them back until a new version of Smash is made. Gotta save something for the next Smash game, right?
I don't see Ice Climbers being the E3 hype character at all. That's Inkling.

D

Deleted member

I don't see Ice Climbers being the E3 hype character at all. That's Inkling.
Yeah, I know. I was kind of joking. But, boy, who else besides the Inkling would be a good newcomer for the next Smash, to hype it up? Based off of Wii U best-sellers, probably Nabbit and Monita.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Ridley turns into an item called **** the fans. Ridley pops out and covers the entire screen for the rest of the match.
We would like to announce that finally, Ridley will no longer be a boss. Introducing, the new Assist Trophy, Ridley.

Imagine if this happened.

Wait, why are we talking about Ridley on the Ice Climbers' thread?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

True, but I think he didn't take that chance because he wanted to keep working on the ICies and keep them as close to their original character as possible. And there are now a very limited number of veterans left. And of those few, the only ones I see having a chance as DLC are the two most obvious, Wolf and ICies.

As for...Ridley...he needs to stay as a boss. It just works. Sakurai himself said that even if they did shrink him down, it wouldn't be Ridley anymore. He fulfills the role of a boss/stage hazard well (I enjoy going on Pyrosphere for this reason).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
True, but I think he didn't take that chance because he wanted to keep working on the ICies and keep them as close to their original character as possible. And there are now a very limited number of veterans left. And of those few, the only ones I see having a chance as DLC are the two most obvious, Wolf and ICies.

As for...Ridley...he needs to stay as a boss. It just works. Sakurai himself said that even if they did shrink him down, it wouldn't be Ridley anymore. He fulfills the role of a boss/stage hazard well (I enjoy going on Pyrosphere for this reason).
You know that is a stupid reason right. I could say Ganondorf fits better as a boss because he doesn't feel like Ganondorf when playing him.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Actually Inkling is probably the only newcomer I want at this point. This roster is almost perfect in my opinion, except for the lack of ICies and Wolf (and maybe Inkling).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It makes me a little sad inside.
If not for the technical issues.
I may have been sitting here with my main and tertiaries only waiting on word about my secondary.
:4lucas::wolf::popo:
Lol, I know you want ICies and Wolf back (I do too), but if I were you I'd be glad I got Lucas. Let's keep hoping that ICies and Wolf can return, because I think their chances have gone up pretty well.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Lol, I know you want ICies and Wolf back (I do too), but if I were you I'd be glad I got Lucas. Let's keep hoping that ICies and Wolf can return, because I think their chances have gone up pretty well.
Having my main back is wonderful. You have no idea how much fun I have just running round in For Fun Online not attacking just messing around.
I want to do that with my secondary's.:popo::wolf:
Because having two of them walking around in For Fun would make everything better :D:popo:

D

Deleted member

Wolf is an obvious candidate, yes, but I don't think Ice Climbers are, solely due to the technical limitations--probably now both because of 3DS limitations and 8-player Smash limitations on Wii U. It's a shame, really...but I don't see how they would get around it for Smash 4.

Top Bottom