• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Double Post Warning Received
I really want to believe that the rumor that Every Smash veteran was planned to return in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS is true.

It's obvious they got to work on Mewtwo for DLC and released him first to test the waters because he was the most requested veteran: the only character cut between Melee and Brawl that wasn't a clone. Mewtwo was followed by Lucas and Roy because they are clones and relatively easy to program for.
Much to my surprise, they still had the resources to create an entirely new fighter with Ryu, so they did have the assets to make another non-clone fighter.

A lot of my support of Smash Bros DLC and the reasons I'm happy so to see Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu, is that they give me hope that the Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Ivysaur can come back.
I had my fingers crossed that upon the 3 releases Sunday, the next 1 or 3 would be announced. the lack of any news has me nervous.

What baffles me is the case of Squirtle and Ivysaur. The Ice Climbers and Snake have a reason for not being in yet, but Why aren't Squirtle and Ivysaur back or announced to be coming back yet? They Both have Original Moves, they both Have to be easy to recreate since the only challenge is giving them an extra B move and a Final Smash, and their both owned by Nintendo.

Sakurai, you have me worried!

It is. I'm just saying I'm going to put it on the Dr. Mario support because if I do it to any other character, it's wasting time. This way I can get my point across (of ICies returning as DLC) without having to worry about it showing up on another character's posts, because those characters deserve the support they get.

Lol, not much of a counterarguement but still. Basically, Dr. Mario means nothing, ICies mean a lot.

ICies > Dr. Mario
Hey I love Ice Climbers as much as you do, but I can't just pretend to agree with you that Dr.Mario means nothing.

Dr.Mario was just going to just be an alt skin of Mario ala Alph to Olimar, but his pills and Mario Tornado counted as a difference in play style so he was given a spot on the menu next to Lucina and Dark Pit who have roster slots for these same reasons.

In Melee, yeah Dr.Mario's just a reskin of Mario with Pills. in Sm4sh he's Mario with Mario Tornado back.

And Ice Climbers = the franchise Sakurai says has no future.
Dr. Mario = the franchise that JUST got a new game.

Ice Climbers were the first ones I voted for in the Smash Ballot, and I never really played as them much. The game doesn't feel quite complete without them since I have only played Smash since Melee and are just used to them always being there. :(
Where can I get those support graphics in your signature?:popo:

Last edited by a moderator:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I really want to believe that the rumor that Every Smash veteran was planned to return in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS is true.
There was a rumor about this?

Hey I love Ice Climbers as much as you do, but I can't just pretend to agree with you that Dr.Mario means nothing.

Dr.Mario was just going to just be an alt skin of Mario ala Alph to Olimar, but his pills and Mario Tornado counted as a difference in play style so he was given a spot on the menu next to Lucina and Dark Pit who have roster slots for these same reasons.

In Melee, yeah Dr.Mario's just a reskin of Mario with Pills. in Sm4sh he's Mario with Mario Tornado back.

And Ice Climbers = the franchise Sakurai says has no future.
Dr. Mario = the franchise that JUST got a new game.
Far as I'm concerned (from the very little I've heard since I don't care about it) the new Dr. Mario game is basically the old one with a new pill and updated graphics.

And if people wanted Melee Mario back, they could have just gotten rid of F.L.U.D.D. (since everybody hates it) and just given him his Melee moveset.

But I'd like to end this argument. So, I'll say Doc shouldn't exist, and you can say what you want about him. :)

Back to ICies!!!

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Ice Climbers were the first ones I voted for in the Smash Ballot, and I never really played as them much. The game doesn't feel quite complete without them since I have only played Smash since Melee and are just used to them always being there. :(
Where can I get those support graphics in your signature?:popo:
I want my secondary's back too. :)
E3 and the entire smash roster would be perfect with these 2 (3)
In my Opinion. :popo::wolf:
My opinion. :popo::wolf::squirtle::ivysaur:

There was a rumor about this?

And if people wanted Melee Mario back, they could have just gotten rid of F.L.U.D.D. (since everybody hates it) and just given him his Melee moveset.
But then people who mastered F.L.U.D.D. would be upset

Yes back to the ICies!
I heard it here https://youtu.be/UKXcSCCHxv8?t=3m7s
And the way a lot of characters that people expected to get cut came back it sounds pretty legit to me.

Seriously though if they had time to make Ryu they have the time to get back to and finish the Ice Climbers!
They Are making money with the DLC, they have the motivation!

Last edited by a moderator:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
But then people who mastered F.L.U.D.D. would be upset

Yes back to the ICies!
I heard it here https://youtu.be/UKXcSCCHxv8?t=3m7s
And the way a lot of characters that people expected to get cut came back it sounds pretty legit to me.

Seriously though if they had time to make Ryu they have the time to get back to and finish the Ice Climbers!
They Are making money with the DLC, they have the motivation!
We certainly know they're making money. I had to wait an hour after Sunday's direct to get into the eShop!

And yes, it was strange that those who everyone thought was gone (Lucario, Ike, Toon Link etc.) were brought back so...maybe?

But they've got all the time they need to finish ICies now. As long as we can get the point across, I think they'll continue to work on them (or start if they haven't already) and they'll be ready, hopefully sometime before next year.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch wouldn't the Lucina or Dark Pit one be better than doc, because at least Doc feels like his own character.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch wouldn't the Lucina or Dark Pit one be better than doc, because at least Doc feels like his own character.
Actually no. In my opinion, Lucina and Dark Pit feel like their own characters and Doc doesn't. Lucina because she is a she, the first female swordsman we've had in Smash, and Dark Pit because of the way he reacts towards most things. He's got more of a "Get out of my way... -__-" attitude than most other characters, Pit included, which sets him apart for me. That and he has his own Final Smash.

Doc though, is basically the same attitude as Mario, with a cheesy rip-off Mario Final Smash, with minor differences.

But seriously, can we stop talking about my most hated character and get back to the one (two) that we all like???

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
@Margi174 At least Lucina Is her own character in the Fire Emblem universe.
Dr. Mario is just Mario as a pharmacist and Dark Pit is Literally just Pit's evil Clone!
They're like Samus and Zero Suit Samus without the play style change, and Blood Falcon from F-Zero that's not just an alt color.

wait are talking about the miiverse groups?
Because if we are I sheepishly apologize for my outburst ^^;

But seriously, can we stop talking about my most hated character and get back to the one (two) that we all like???
Yes Please! Can We? Like someone earlier said something about an Ice Climber reboot?
That sounds absolutely fascinating!

But they've got all the time they need to finish ICies now. As long as we can get the point across, I think they'll continue to work on them (or start if they haven't already) and they'll be ready, hopefully sometime before next year.
Here's hoping they are announced when Tourney Mode or the other N64 stages are released!
That's actually quite plausible.
Just imagine their trailer! *u*

Dude stop double posting and triple posting, you'll get in trouble. Just edit your post so you can reply to new posts then once another person posts you can start a new comment.
I JUST figured out how to do that a minute ago
Sorry about all the clutter ^^:

[Edit] I just got the warning for it.
that was scary o_o'

The only predictions we can have now is who could be winning the Ballot, and how the ICies are holding up in said Ballot. I hope we're not too far behind. We definitely need to get into and/or stay in the top 5. We might have 1 big announcement between now and the end of the ballot, but that's all I can see happening. We need to continue supporting the ICies for now, by keeping this thread active, invading Miiverse, and voting in the ballot.
My hopes are that just like Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu, it'll turn out that the Ice Climbers never needed the ballot in the first place.
A feller can dream

Lol, I kid. I definitely think the next veteran is Wolf. Next newcomer, I've got no idea. But once Wolf is in, they have 6 veterans left to choose from. ICies, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link. Of these 6, I'm fairly certain ICies have the highest probability of coming back.
And 1st in line behind them Ivysaur and Squirtle. because out the whole list, those are the two that had NO reason to be cut!

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Isn't it so weird? For once we are totally up-to-date on all of the Smash content excluding amiibo (at least they finally announced Falco), new N64 stages, and a release month for Tourney Mode. Okay, so there are things we know about that are coming, but that's it? I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining, but I think the hype train is taking a break. We don't know much about where it'll take us next, but for now we've arrived at our E3 destination. Instead of anticipating stuff, we have it already. I'm pretty sure Nintendo may sprinkle around new info here and there, but I'm concerned about that happening since I was underwhelmed by the meat and potatoes Digital Event where it didn't have too many huge things we didn't know about. It's clear they're going by the beat of their own drum, but how can we make predictions going by that? Our streamlined schedule that we were expecting Nintendo to go by has ended. For now I hope the team is more careful on what files they put into the data in their updates, but for now I say we can relax a bit and suppress our eagerness for a while so we don't lose our minds over nothing. We have our own ICies support routine, so we can just continue to do that for now.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Isn't it so weird? For once we are totally up-to-date on all of the Smash content excluding amiibo (at least they finally announced Falco), new N64 stages, and a release month for Tourney Mode. Okay, so there are things we know about that are coming, but that's it? I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining, but I think the hype train is taking a break. We don't know much about where it'll take us next, but for now we've arrived at our E3 destination. Instead of anticipating stuff, we have it already. I'm pretty sure Nintendo may sprinkle around new info here and there, but I'm concerned about that happening since I was underwhelmed by the meat and potatoes Digital Event where it didn't have too many huge things we didn't know about. It's clear they're going by the beat of their own drum, but how can we make predictions going by that? Our streamlined schedule that we were expecting Nintendo to go by has ended. For now I hope the team is more careful on what files they put into the data in their updates, but for now I say we can relax a bit and suppress our eagerness for a while so we don't lose our minds over nothing. We have our own ICies support routine, so we can just continue to do that for now.
The hype train took a break as soon as Roy and Ryu got leaked.

The only predictions we can have now is who could be winning the Ballot, and how the ICies are holding up in said Ballot. I hope we're not too far behind. We definitely need to get into and/or stay in the top 5. We might have 1 big announcement between now and the end of the ballot, but that's all I can see happening. We need to continue supporting the ICies for now, by keeping this thread active, invading Miiverse, and voting in the ballot.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
I think I've realized a pattern with DLC announcements. There almost the same as the official characters announcements. I mean April 2014: 4 characters, April 2015: 1 character. June 2014: 3 characters, June 2015: 3 characters. Now while April is WAY off, June is spot on. This could mean we might get a character(s) announcement in July and be released August (every 2 months DLC) Now whether it'll be 3 characters is in the air, but I'm leaning torwards not since we just got 3. So, I'm guessing Wolf and a newcomer.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think I've realized a pattern with DLC announcements. There almost the same as the official characters announcements. I mean April 2014: 4 characters, April 2015: 1 character. June 2014: 3 characters, June 2015: 3 characters. Now while April is WAY off, June is spot on. This could mean we might get a character(s) announcement in July and be released August (every 2 months DLC) Now whether it'll be 3 characters is in the air, but I'm leaning torwards not since we just got 3. So, I'm guessing Wolf and a newcomer.
Screw Wolf! We know he's gonna come at some point! Why not throw ICies in instead?!?!

Lol, I kid. I definitely think the next veteran is Wolf. Next newcomer, I've got no idea. But once Wolf is in, they have 6 veterans left to choose from. ICies, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link. Of these 6, I'm fairly certain ICies have the highest probability of coming back. So basically, at this point, we're fighting against all the newbies. And I don't see to many newcomers making it in as DLC, and after Ryu, I'm only expecting 3 more newcomers at MOST.

In other words, I think the ICies DLC chances have gotten better. If we can keep pushing, I'm certain that Nintendo will give them back to us.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Actually no. In my opinion, Lucina and Dark Pit feel like their own characters and Doc doesn't. Lucina because she is a she, the first female swordsman we've had in Smash, and Dark Pit because of the way he reacts towards most things. He's got more of a "Get out of my way... -__-" attitude than most other characters, Pit included, which sets him apart for me. That and he has his own Final Smash.

Doc though, is basically the same attitude as Mario, with a cheesy rip-off Mario Final Smash, with minor differences.
I meant from a playstyle standpoint. Seriously playing Lucina feels like playing a handicapped Marth and playing Dark Pit feels identical to playing Pit barring very slightly different kill locations. You have to approach Doc differently to how you would approach Mario due to literally all of his attacks having different damage and knockback, as well as him having a different recovery method and different primary kill options and a different down special. But yeah. Lets stop talking Doc (although I feel like "characters we don't like" is a poor way to put it as I prefer all three of the clones to their originals and like them in general).

IkeChromMarth

Smash Rookie
It feels weird not having Ice Climbers back in Smash 4, we need them back! Bring back our main Sakurai! :D

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Wow, I've missed a lot of discussion. There's one thing that bothers me though. Everyone speculated that Ryu would come at E3, while Roy would come at a Fire Emblem Concert that Sakurai is attending in the future. Obviously, this isn't true, as we have both now. So... what will Sakurai be revealing at the Fire Emblem Concert?

Ice Climbers perhaps? Or...
Ike Climbers? :laugh:
(in all honesty, that probably wasn't funny)

But I'm really curious about what we'll get at the concert. He's... not giving us another Fire Emblem character, is he? I'd, actually be pretty upset at that, I mean there's already a Fire Emblem character for DLC.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I meant from a playstyle standpoint. Seriously playing Lucina feels like playing a handicapped Marth and playing Dark Pit feels identical to playing Pit barring very slightly different kill locations. You have to approach Doc differently to how you would approach Mario due to literally all of his attacks having different damage and knockback, as well as him having a different recovery method and different primary kill options and a different down special. But yeah. Lets stop talking Doc (although I feel like "characters we don't like" is a poor way to put it as I prefer all three of the clones to their originals and like them in general).
I meant just me, as Doc is a "character I don't like".

Wow, I've missed a lot of discussion. There's one thing that bothers me though. Everyone speculated that Ryu would come at E3, while Roy would come at a Fire Emblem Concert that Sakurai is attending in the future. Obviously, this isn't true, as we have both now. So... what will Sakurai be revealing at the Fire Emblem Concert?

But I'm really curious about what we'll get at the concert. He's... not giving us another Fire Emblem character, is he? I'd, actually be pretty upset at that, I mean there's already a Fire Emblem character for DLC.
Unless Sakurai has either

A). Lost his mind or

B). Really taken a liking to the Fire Emblem series,

there's no way we're getting a 6th FE representative. I dunno when we should expect ICies now, unless it is in the middle of the voting process, after the Ballot ends, or during the winter. And I don't see the first happening unless they're almost done with them now. The second and third are possible though, as long as the ICies are doing good in the Ballot.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

We won't get anything. He's there to listen to the concert.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Alright experienced climbers, to your stations! We have a big mountain to scale this time! Everyone ready themselves for this trek as we fight to support our duo in the Rate their Chances, TODAY!

(That's right, the Ice Climber's re-rate is happening now! Everyone remember to give your full support!)

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Today my fortune cookie said, "A big fortune will descend upon you this year." Clearly that means Ice Climbers this year. I just gotta believe. Believe in the cookie!
Alright experienced climbers, to your stations! We have a big mountain to scale this time! Everyone ready themselves for this trek as we fight to support our duo in the Rate their Chances, TODAY!

(That's right, the Ice Climber's re-rate is happening now! Everyone remember to give your full support!)
*hides underground in the fetal position*

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Today my fortune cookie said, "A big fortune will descend upon you this year." Clearly that means Ice Climbers this year. I just gotta believe. Believe in the cookie!

*hides underground in the fetal position*
That might be one of the funniest things ever said on this thread, Falcomaster.

*Wastes the day away*

OK, post a link please so I know where to go.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Well everyone, there's good news and bad news.
The bad news is that the Ice Climbers have been kicked off the top 10 in chance.
The good news is that the Ice Climbers have risen in want.

I'm going to walk away with this as a victory. Chance is just speculation, but we know that we have the majority behind us in wanting them back. :)

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Guys, can someone explain to me what the actual specific problem is that the 3DS can't handle Ice Climbers. It can handle Rosalina and Luma. I never really understood this.
It is because the console sees the Ice Climbers together as two separate characters on the stage at once.
Not just two models like Robin's Final Smash or Little Mac's Victory Screens with Doc Louis, 3 in the case of Shulk's Final Smash, but two separate characters.
Rosalina's Luma, Olimar's Pikmin and Duck Hunt's Duck are not processed as sepperate characters, but just as moving items that happen to have eyes.

Nana is processed as a separate character from Popo with her own CPU controller, stats and damage counter.
The player plays as Popo and it's His stats that are shown on the bottom screen and only KOs of him matter.
Nana's CPU AI directive is to mimic Popo when beside him, follow Popo when he moves and get back to Popo when they are separated. This CPU is always involved with the Ice Climbers whenever they are in a match.

4 humans with any other characters = 4 controller inputs in one match.
3 other characters and a human as Ice Climbers = 4 controller inputs and 1 CPU in one match.
2 other characters and two human as Ice Climbers = 4 controller inputs and 2 CPUs in one match.
4 human Ice Climbers = 4 controller inputs and 4 CPUs in one match.
4 CPU Ice Climbers = 8 CPU's in one match
On the Wii U 8 CPU Ice Climbers = 16 CPUs in one match.

Every character, and basically every thing in the game has been polished to make sure they still run smoothly at the craziest of settings.
On the Wii U every character should be able to be played 8 at once with items on Very High on the most active stage without slowing the frame rate.
This is Exactly why so many stages are unavailable for 8 Player Smash yet, and the ones that are have been modified to Remove the extra background features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DZ2hVv9YP4

They managed to get the Ice Climbers working on the Wii U version so my guess is the hurdle they have to jump to get the Ice Climbers working on Smash 3DS is to be able to have 4 players use them Online on Rainbow Road with items on without slowing down, glitching or crashing the game.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Well everyone, there's good news and bad news.
The bad news is that the Ice Climbers have been kicked off the top 10 in chance.
The good news is that the Ice Climbers have risen in want.

I'm going to walk away with this as a victory. Chance is just speculation, but we know that we have the majority behind us in wanting them back. :)
It's disappointing to see them drop from 7th to 18th place in chance, but it's great to see the important rating, the want, go from 5th to 3rd place. I can forgive nonbelievers being nonbelievers since Ice Climbers support will remain strong until they're announced. Nonbeliever =/= anti-supporter. That's an important thing to consider. Chance is speculation. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes and we don't have absolutely everything in front of us. The want is the major settling point with the DLC. If the character meets Sakurai's criteria, which is a given since ICies are veterans, there's no possible way for the Ice Climbers to remain cut due to "lack of support." Since there's so much fan backing behind them, there's no question. It's very much worth the team's time to bring them back. I liked a lot of what people were saying in their wants, but as usual, there were some salty posts I'll tell you what. Some were very explicitly passionate towards hating them in every fiber of their body, but it won't hurt them since DLC is optional. The'yre just the grumpy road workers firing up their plows waiting forever for them to warm up, and then pushing tons of snow off the road while pouring all their saltiest of salts on the road believing they can do without all that icy snow stuff. While the dedicated supporters who passionately love the Ice Climbers are the happy children in a wonderland of white, fluffy compassion and possibility making Nana and Popo angels and building SnowNas and SnowPos. The low chance gives all the more reason for people to be surprised when they're announced. The high want gives all the more reason for the Smash team to persevere and complete the Ice Climbers for Smash 4 once and for all.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I personally think that IC will be able to work on 8 player smash. This is because, unlike the "mirror" AIs, the Nana AIs don't have to directly mimic the AIs at the front. The reason I say this is because a direct mimic is significantly harder for a CPU to handle than a loose mimic. Therefore, having 16 regular AIs is less taxing on the system than having 8 regular AIs and 8 "mirror" AIs. Having 16 regular AIs and 16 "mirror" AIs would completely burn out the Wii U's CPU for obvious reasons, but that won't be an issue due to the mirror being removed from Wii Fit Studio. Something which makes me laugh to think about is how much damage having 8 player smash with 16 regular AIs, 16 "mirror" AIs, a Pokémon AI, an assist trophy AI a mirrored Pokémon AI, a mirrored assist trophy AI, a boss AI such as Ridley or Metal Face and a mirrored boss AI would do to the Wii U's CPU. I mean, it could potentially run 16 regular AIs, a Pokémon AI, an assist trophy and a boss AI all at once (albeit with lots of lag) and it could almost certainly run 16 regular AIs and a boss AI. However, it is funny to think how much damage just adding the mirror in would do (because it is doubling the number of AIs by adding a further 19 AIs in a combination of 16 "ultracomplex" and 3 "semicomplex" (yes I made up those names on the spot; sue me).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I personally think that IC will be able to work on 8 player smash. This is because, unlike the "mirror" AIs, the Nana AIs don't have to directly mimic the AIs at the front. The reason I say this is because a direct mimic is significantly harder for a CPU to handle than a loose mimic. Therefore, having 16 regular AIs is less taxing on the system than having 8 regular AIs and 8 "mirror" AIs. Having 16 regular AIs and 16 "mirror" AIs would completely burn out the Wii U's CPU for obvious reasons, but that won't be an issue due to the mirror being removed from Wii Fit Studio. Something which makes me laugh to think about is how much damage having 8 player smash with 16 regular AIs, 16 "mirror" AIs, a Pokémon AI, an assist trophy AI a mirrored Pokémon AI, a mirrored assist trophy AI, a boss AI such as Ridley or Metal Face and a mirrored boss AI would do to the Wii U's CPU. I mean, it could potentially run 16 regular AIs, a Pokémon AI, an assist trophy and a boss AI all at once (albeit with lots of lag) and it could almost certainly run 16 regular AIs and a boss AI. However, it is funny to think how much damage just adding the mirror in would do (because it is doubling the number of AIs by adding a further 19 AIs in a combination of 16 "ultracomplex" and 3 "semicomplex" (yes I made up those names on the spot; sue me).
"Sue me."

Done.

Lol, just kidding. Good to see the want for ICies go up.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I think that's what the dev team meant by "We got them working on the Wii U" I think they already Do work in 8 Player Smash.
Though playing 4 Ice Climbers on the Wii Fit Studio Becomes an 8 player smash because that's 8 Ice Climbers outside the mirror and 8 more on the inside "mirroring" them.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I think that's what the dev team meant by "We got them working on the Wii U" I think they already Do work in 8 Player Smash.
Though playing 4 Ice Climbers on the Wii Fit Studio Becomes an 8 player smash because that's 8 Ice Climbers outside the mirror and 8 more on the inside "mirroring" them.
Heh. That's funny. They could disable the mirror in situations with 4 Ice Climbers (no i don't mean 4 popos... well, yI do, but Nana too) maybe? IDK XD

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Dang, it's so fun to listen (or read) you guys and all your ICies knowledge! Ice Climbers were my main in Melee and I fell in love with them ever since. Loved them in Brawl, and was heartbroken to hear they were excluded from Sm4sh. While Ridley is my first love (and support), you guys, Inkling and K. Rool are all right there. The communities of ICies and K. Rool in particular are just wonderful.

Here's to hoping for an Ice Climbers related announcement soon!!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
It is because the console sees the Ice Climbers together as two separate characters on the stage at once.
Not just two models like Robin's Final Smash or Little Mac's Victory Screens with Doc Louis, 3 in the case of Shulk's Final Smash, but two separate characters.
Rosalina's Luma, Olimar's Pikmin and Duck Hunt's Duck are not processed as sepperate characters, but just as moving items that happen to have eyes.

Nana is processed as a separate character from Popo with her own CPU controller, stats and damage counter.
The player plays as Popo and it's His stats that are shown on the bottom screen and only KOs of him matter.
Nana's CPU AI directive is to mimic Popo when beside him, follow Popo when he moves and get back to Popo when they are separated. This CPU is always involved with the Ice Climbers whenever they are in a match.

4 humans with any other characters = 4 controller inputs in one match.
3 other characters and a human as Ice Climbers = 4 controller inputs and 1 CPU in one match.
2 other characters and two human as Ice Climbers = 4 controller inputs and 2 CPUs in one match.
4 human Ice Climbers = 4 controller inputs and 4 CPUs in one match.
4 CPU Ice Climbers = 8 CPU's in one match
On the Wii U 8 CPU Ice Climbers = 16 CPUs in one match.

Every character, and basically every thing in the game has been polished to make sure they still run smoothly at the craziest of settings.
On the Wii U every character should be able to be played 8 at once with items on Very High on the most active stage without slowing the frame rate.
This is Exactly why so many stages are unavailable for 8 Player Smash yet, and the ones that are have been modified to Remove the extra background features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DZ2hVv9YP4

They managed to get the Ice Climbers working on the Wii U version so my guess is the hurdle they have to jump to get the Ice Climbers working on Smash 3DS is to be able to have 4 players use them Online on Rainbow Road with items on without slowing down, glitching or crashing the game.
What if they remove Nana's CPU. Also don't Pikmin do the same thing, follow Olimar when he moves and get back to him when seperated.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
What if they remove Nana's CPU. Also don't Pikmin do the same thing, follow Olimar when he moves and get back to him when seperated.
So does Luma. Luma is more complex though.
But neither Luma nor Pikmin can use items or be grabbed, and they respawn after being KO'd like expendable ammo, unlike Nana who doesn't respawn until Popo gets KO'd and respawns.
What if they remove Nana's CPU.
How does Nana Function without her CPU?
What if they remove Nana's CPU.
The Duck might not even be that. Anyway, that's what we need to do. Nana must become an item!...That sounded bad...You get the point though. Give her Luma's AI.
Yeah actually that sounds like the most logical thing to do with her right now.
As for the Duck, it might be what Bowser Jr and the Koopalings are: a second model on a main character
As Duck Hunt you mainly control the dog and the duck is used for many attacks, as Bowser Jr, you're actually playing as the Koopa Clown Car and Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings pitch in for certain attacks.
This is speaking from a technical standpoint of course.

They could make it so Popo only gets hit.
That sounds frustrating from an opponent's perspective but I like the way you're thinking :b:
I have no idea if it's been brought up here or not, but is it a possibility that the Ice Climbers could be New 3DS exclusive? If the New 3DS can run Xenoblade, then I have a hard time believing it couldn't run Ice Climbers. Then, Sakurai's whole "both versions must have same characters" thing won't get in the way. Though, any way they get in is fine by me. I don't care if it is just one climber and 4 of the color swaps are Popo while 4 are Nana.
As a guy who can't afford a New 3DS and got his copy of Smash and all his DLC over the eShop, this is a scary thought.
But..*gulp*...It sounds like a way...

Last edited:
Top Bottom