• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Well I browsed through Rate Their Chances, and... goodness me I did not like what I was hearing. It's so salty over there and I especially did not like what people were saying about Ice Climbers with the exception of what @ FancySmash FancySmash said so far. Not sure how to get through to them considering they still believe 8-Player Smash is an "issue," 3DS difficulties "can't be remedied," and that it's "probably not worth the team's time still."

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well I browsed through Rate Their Chances, and... goodness me I did not like what I was hearing. It's so salty over there and I especially did not like what people were saying about Ice Climbers with the exception of what @ FancySmash FancySmash said so far. Not sure how to get through to them considering they still believe 8-Player Smash is an "issue," 3DS difficulties "can't be remedied," and that it's "probably not worth the team's time still."
Those are probably just some salty competitive players who hate Ice Climbers. I don't play competitive so I don't really care as long as the character is important imo.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace

i am going to die from d'aww
help
but seriously check the webpage out, the blog has some really adorable drawings of forgotten video game characters

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Those are probably just some salty competitive players who hate Ice Climbers. I don't play competitive so I don't really care as long as the character is important imo.
I'd assume that competitive players are the ones most pining for the Ice Climbers' return. It's more casual fans who I usually see giving up on them, even willingly. Seems Rosalina and/or Duck Hunt is enough of a replacement for them to stop caring about Ice Climbers (even though neither of them play anything like the latter duo).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm a casual and always have been. I'm just starting to get into competitive though, but you don't see me trying to leave the ICies out.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'd assume that competitive players are the ones most pining for the Ice Climbers' return. It's more casual fans who I usually see giving up on them, even willingly. Seems Rosalina and/or Duck Hunt is enough of a replacement for them to stop caring about Ice Climbers (even though neither of them play anything like the latter duo).
I'm a casual and always have been. I'm just starting to get into competitive though, but you don't see me trying to leave the ICies out.
I meant competitive players who don't like the ICies when facing them and have their other mains.

Err, um, I won't give names, but I'll give you an example of what I saw. Page 152 primarily on rate their chances. There were others saying that 3DS still held them back, but this one is the one I'll go with.

"Ice climbers. The 3ds and seperate 8 players smah bones still exist and always will"

Not trying to single anyone out with that quote, it's just the first one I saw. Others pretty much go on like this (some more detailed, others aren't), essentially saying that by now they aren't fixable.
if you're goint to quote someone do it so they get tagged. dont talk behind people's back thanks.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Okay guys, I now things look bad recently, but I have a plan.

People are saying that Roy, Lucas and Ryu are all coming out together. That's a melee vet, a brawl vet, and a 3rd party character.

Imagine if they did the same thing two months later. Ice climbers could be the melee vet, Wolf the brawl vet, and Snake could be the 3rd party character.

Basically, what I'm saying is, we should form a alliance with the Wolf and Snake threads. Who's with me?
Either this or a melee vet, a brawl vet, and a newcomer...maybe the smash ballot winner in October (cough cough shovel knight or impa cough)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Either this or a melee vet, a brawl vet, and a newcomer...maybe the smash ballot winner in October (cough cough shovel knight or impa cough)
There will most likely be more than one ballot winner (not shovel knight since his chances went down the drain and into the pacific ocean and drowned) It'll probs be K Rool or Isaac. Brawl vet is Wolf.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't care who the winner of the ballot is if it's not ICies.

Honestly, this stupid Ryu/Roy thing has basically killed my hype unless Nintendo can show off something new tomorrow or at E3. And "something new" does NOT mean Ryu or Roy's moveset or anything related to them.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
if you're goint to quote someone do it so they get tagged. dont talk behind people's back thanks.
Sorry, dude, I was trying to incognito about it. I didn't want to draw attention to any names. I just randomly chose yours because your comment on the Icies was the first one I saw, as most people just said the same thing.

Didn't mean to attack you. Sorry! :cry:

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Same here, as my comment to his post may have offended you in some way.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Ooh, I sure hope @ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon didn't take it the wrong way, I was just trying to provide an example from rate their chances without drawing attention to any names. I didn't mean to offend them...

Anyways, do you guys think this diminishes the chances of getting the Ice Climbers without the ballot? I really thought they had a chance with pre-ballot, but with a wolf in waiting (pun intended), and all these characters already added, I'm not so sure...:urg:

Ooh, I sure hope @ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon didn't take it the wrong way, I was just trying to provide an example from rate their chances without drawing attention to any names. I didn't mean to offend them...

Anyways, do you guys think this diminishes the chances of getting the Ice Climbers without the ballot? I really thought they had a chance with pre-ballot, but with a wolf in waiting (pun intended), and all these characters already added, I'm not so sure...:urg:
Naw I understand. Just for future reference actually quote them so they get tagged. that way they can defend their viewpoint.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Wow, the salt in this thread.

Roy and Ryu have nothing to do with Ice Climber's chances at all. Whether or not the climbers get in is a complety different matter. No need to direct hate at these two. And why are people suddenly getting upset now? We've known about these two since April.

FancySmash

Smash Lord

Roy and Ryu have nothing to do with Ice Climber's chances at all. Whether or not the climbers get in is a complety different matter. No need to direct hate at these two. And why are people suddenly getting upset now? We've known about these two since April.
I think it stems from the fact that they can't go willy-nilly with adding characters to DLC, so just two characters confirmed means hurt chances of other characters.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
What's gonna be left for E3? :/ And poor icy babies.
(On the plus side, however, we have learned that the team can produce about 4 characters biannually. That's a decent rate.)

@ GalacticPetey GalacticPetey Personally, I am pretty much in fumes over the leak. The leak I couldn't resist but check out, sadly, being a hardcore fan that has to know everything that's out regarding the game. But all I have now is a strong sense of disappointment. I'm sorta convinced that I pretty much know every major thing that's going to be announced on the 14th regarding Smash, and that just makes me really agitated. Even if I'm wrong, there's just that feeling in my gut that everything's spoiled.

(Plot twist: Ryu and Roy are simply mentioned in the Direct as DLC on their way, and Ice Climbers / Wolf get the spotlight?)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Back then it was just data. Now it's fact.

What's gonna be left for E3? :/ And poor icy babies.
(On the plus side, however, we have learned that the team can produce about 4 characters biannually. That's a decent rate.)

@ GalacticPetey GalacticPetey Personally, I am pretty much in fumes over the leak. The leak I couldn't resist but check out, sadly, being a hardcore fan that has to know everything that's out regarding the game. But all I have now is a strong sense of disappointment. I'm sorta convinced that I pretty much know every major thing that's going to be announced on the 14th regarding Smash, and that just makes me really agitated. Even if I'm wrong, there's just that feeling in my gut that everything's spoiled.

(Plot twist: Ryu and Roy are simply mentioned in the Direct as DLC on their way, and Ice Climbers / Wolf get the spotlight?)
The plot twist must happen. Else I'm pretty sure we're just getting what we saw today in a 20 minute video. I mean, at least Lucas is still hype. I can enjoy nabbing him off the eShop tomorrow.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch ICies/Wolf may get some coverage later in the year. Towards Fall/Winter. Sakurai and the team probably want a constant stream of new content, not sudden bursts of it. Though I could be wrong. Yeah, chances are, Ryu and Roy tomorrow, and Wolf this Fall, and ICies for Winter (if we're lucky ;3) perhaps some other surprise characters in-between, then after that, the Ballot winners. Heh. I guess it's not so bad, since we can definitely look forward to even more content, and the content that's known to be coming is still pretty hype. :-j

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lucas is the only piece of hype left for me right now. Then there's the Miiverse stage which is "Meh.", and the Tournament Mode which I won't use too much cause I'll probably never win against all the competitive people out there.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Lucas is the only piece of hype left for me right now. Then there's the Miiverse stage which is "Meh.", and the Tournament Mode which I won't use too much cause I'll probably never win against all the competitive people out there.
Roy is actually Luigified, which actually made me like him more. I'm hyped for Lucas and Roy, eh on Ryu and Miiverse stage. Tournament Mode is ok but I don't play competitive. I mean if the only character you want is ICies than I feel like there's gonna be a good wait for you.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Roy is actually Luigified, which actually made me like him more. I'm hyped for Lucas and Roy, eh on Ryu and Miiverse stage. Tournament Mode is ok but I don't play competitive. I mean if the only character you want is ICies than I feel like there's gonna be a good wait for you.
He's not fully Luigified imo.
He's more differentiated, sure.
But he's a semi-clone, like :4falco::4ganondorf::4tlink:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Which is a good thing.
Oh.
Very much so.
Don't make it seem like I'm saying otherwise.
I'm significantly less Salty about Roy because of it.
But the term "Luigified" is one that should be held when a clone has been made so differentiated that the similarity of the characters are too minimal for proper comparison.
:4luigi: has earned the term from what he was in :luigi64:.
I just use differentiated because it gets the point across but in a smaller scale in the change, if that makes any sense.

I'm probably one of few people who'd get specific about this.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Oh.
Very much so.
Don't make it seem like I'm saying otherwise.
I'm significantly less Salty about Roy because of it.
But the term "Luigified" is one that should be held when a clone has been made so differentiated that the similarity of the characters are too minimal for proper comparison.
:4luigi: has earned the term from what he was in :luigi64:.
I just use differentiated because it gets the point across but in a smaller scale in the change, if that makes any sense.

I'm probably one of few people who'd get specific about this.
yep.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
What I want: ICies, Wolf, and 1 newcomer that I actually care about (Inkling maybe?)

What I've gotten (other than Lucas): Marth 3.0 (don't care if he's "Luigified"), newcomer I don't care about, stage that I'll play on but is meh, and mode I'll use every so often.

Today has honestly been like a kick in the gut for me. And I know what that feels like. I play soccer...

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
What I want: ICies, Wolf, and 1 newcomer that I actually care about (Inkling maybe?)

What I've gotten (other than Lucas): Marth 3.0 (don't care if he's "Luigified"), newcomer I don't care about, stage that I'll play on but is meh, and mode I'll use every so often.
Well than Mr. Salt, SoccerGuy actually did something the fans wanted. Wolf is a shoo-in for me personally. Inklings are a maybe but definitely for Smash 5.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well than Mr. Salt, SoccerGuy actually did something the fans wanted. Wolf is a shoo-in for me personally. Inklings are a maybe but definitely for Smash 5.
Are you referring to me or someone else with "SoccerGuy"? Cause if it's someone else, I don't get it.

But I agree with you on Wolf and Inklings. Maybe not now, but absolutely for Smash 5.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
SoccerGuy is one of a dozen joke names for Sakurai.
Really? What a coincidence! Lol!

At least there's one thing I could do to make my day better, but I'm scared as heck to do it cause there's a 50-50 shot I'll be happy afterwards. And I'd rather not go into it, kinda personal.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Are you referring to me or someone else with "SoccerGuy"? Cause if it's someone else, I don't get it.

But I agree with you on Wolf and Inklings. Maybe not now, but absolutely for Smash 5.
You mean MassiveHero SoccerGuy, the guy that made Super Smash Allstars Battle Royale. Wolf is a shoo-in for DLC imo not Smash 5, well for both. Inkling for Smash 5.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You mean MassiveHero SoccerGuy, the guy that made Super Smash Allstars Battle Royale. Wolf is a shoo-in for DLC imo not Smash 5, well for both. Inkling for Smash 5.
Lol, I meant that last comment for Inklings only.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Thank you all for voting. Here are the results:

MOST OVERRATED
1ST ICE CLIMBERS - 16 VOTES
2ND SNAKE - 9 VOTES
3RD - (TIE) CHIBI ROBO AND RAYMAN - 8 VOTES

MOST UNDERRATED
1ST TETRA - 11 VOTES
2ND (TIE) IMPA AND CHORUS KIDS - 8 VOTES

MOST ACCURATE
1ST KING K ROOL - 16 VOTES
2ND ISSAC - 10 VOTES
3RD DIXIE - 9 VOTES
We will re-rate both Ice Climbers and Tetra at the end of the week. And now for something exciting, we are discussing our most hype-inflating and deflating moments SSB4 speculation. I'm looking forward to what you guys have to say.
Hmm, it appears that at the end of the week, we'll be up again. Are we up to the challenge?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Sakurai found a way to put the IC's in the 3DS version, there's no doubt that he would put them in the game in a heart beat.

People thinking Roy, Ryu or any other character taking "their spot" need to re-evaluate their thought process.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
When the roster was leaked, that was a major hype killer. When Mewtwo and Lucas were announced unspoiled, I was hopeful in every character onward would be a surprise. Nope. Not even DLC is safe. I believe I heard of cases where planned DLC was leaked that was announced later, but this is scary. My stance is any character that gets added that isn't Ice Climbers still holds value to me personally. Not only does that mean more amiibo on my shelf, but it assures me that fanbases for those characters are being catered towards one by one, making it only a matter of time until it's our turn.
Hmm, it appears that at the end of the week, we'll be up again. Are we up to the challenge?
Seeing this after the leak makes my stomach turn. I know the nonbelievers are just gonna keep spamming 0% chance for them. I'm kinda in a panic because I don't want this re-rate to be the end-all that convinces people not to vote for Ice Climbers and the nonbelievers' influence will rise.:crazy::cry::scared::urg:

EDIT: While everything is potentially spoiled, I'll still watch the live stream in the morning. I want to be up when Lucas goes live. Will I suddenly feel better if content we didn't know about is shown? I don't know. I'll find out how I feel after getting some rest and we'll figure out what we're dealing with. Good night.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
The inernet is a load of sh*t sometimes, and things like the leaks make me question why I even bother using the internet. I'm refraining from watching the Roy and Ryu videos until later so that it isn't completely spoiled, but it is just infuriating that some internet users can be such jackasses.
Link me plz. I'm going to defend IC as if my life depended on it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, I'll certainly watch the direct today, just to see if we get anything new. And if not, I'll just get Lucas as soon as it's over. Maybe Sakurai will show off something new, and I hope he does.

Now what time is the direct again? 10:40 EST time, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom