• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
In case any of you don't already know, Sakurai said on Miiverse that Lucas is already done, and decided on June 14 as the date to release him to the public. Seems very coincidental considering it is very close to E3. For no fewer than two days, we will have both versions with all confirmed characters on both versions not knowing about any other character because no new characters will be announced during those first two days. Hmm, there must be reasoning behind this schedule setup...

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
In case any of you don't already know, Sakurai said on Miiverse that Lucas is already done, and decided on June 14 as the date to release him to the public. Seems very coincidental considering it is very close to E3. For no fewer than two days, we will have both versions with all confirmed characters on both versions not knowing about any other character because no new characters will be announced during those first two days. Hmm, there must be reasoning behind this schedule setup...
Fingers crossed for Ice Climbers ;P

The only thing that we know for certain is that we're getting another character announcement at E3. What it will be, we don't know. However, I hope it is the Ice Climbers for obvious reasons ;P

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Fingers crossed for Ice Climbers ;P

The only thing that we know for certain is that we're getting another character announcement at E3. What it will be, we don't know. However, I hope it is the Ice Climbers for obvious reasons ;P
I would love it if the Ice Climbers were announced, but I think that might be too hopeful. Despite that, I'd really like to see them at E3.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if we're lucky, the streamed section of the Nintendo World Championships will all be NES remix challenges, leading up to Ice Climbers for the final round.

After all, they did say the original NES Zelda would be one of the challenges, and the qualifier was NES remix's championship mode...

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm, people have been talking about this. But I don't see much to it. For all we know, this could mean Ryu/Roy confirmation. :urg:

Man, leaks take the fun out of speculating. I'm still hopeful to see the Ice Climbers in the future. The way I see it, DLC will work like this. This year is Lucas, Ryu/Roy (maybe), the ballot winner(s). Next year is finishing up with veterans, A.K.A. Wolf, Ice Climbers, and maybe Snake, along with others that scored high in the ballot. The year after that, Sakurai will throw us several odd surprises, characters no one expected, but would be welcome editions. Err, this is of course being hopeful...

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Hmm, people have been talking about this. But I don't see much to it. For all we know, this could mean Ryu/Roy confirmation. :urg:

Man, leaks take the fun out of speculating. I'm still hopeful to see the Ice Climbers in the future. The way I see it, DLC will work like this. This year is Lucas, Ryu/Roy (maybe), the ballot winner(s). Next year is finishing up with veterans, A.K.A. Wolf, Ice Climbers, and maybe Snake, along with others that scored high in the ballot. The year after that, Sakurai will throw us several odd surprises, characters no one expected, but would be welcome editions. Err, this is of course being hopeful...
I'm just hyped up to be honest. I expect there to be a character announcement so I'll be excited anyway. I just hope it's one of four characters (ICs, Wolf, YLink or K.Rool).

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm just hyped up to be honest. I expect there to be a character announcement so I'll be excited anyway. I just hope it's one of four characters (ICs, Wolf, YLink or K.Rool).
Nah, K. Rool has way to much star power in the ballot. I'm expecting them to save him for that. Anyone else I suppose is fair game, so come on Ice Climbers!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
If they were to do Young Link, I wouldn't want it to be the Young Link from Melee because Toon Link is just a reskin of him. If we get him back, it'd have to have more emphasis Majoras Mask (masks influence everything he does). It'd create an original Zelda character as opposed to just another Link. It'd mean Melee players can't play him the same, but if you wanna play that version just go to Toon Link so... yay I guess?

BTW, I love the idea of Young Link... just so long as he's changed.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
If they were to do Young Link, I wouldn't want it to be the Young Link from Melee because Toon Link is just a reskin of him. If we get him back, it'd have to have more emphasis Majoras Mask (masks influence everything he does). It'd create an original Zelda character as opposed to just another Link. It'd mean Melee players can't play him the same, but if you wanna play that version just go to Toon Link so... yay I guess?

Only problem is, decloning him to Majora's Mask Move set would alienate fans. So that's kinda difficult.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace

Young Link is more of a "spacie" Link. Fast dash and fastfaller.

Toon Link is NOT a reskin. He plays differently from both Link and Yink. He's floaty and fast, he has more sword based attacks (aerials are all sword based and have different properties compared to YLink's aerials), he does not have the rapid jab, he does not a Down Tilt Meteor, his boomerang is slower and weaker. The only similar thing about Tink and Yink is that they can convert off their bombs. Yink into Down Air and Tink into Forward Air.

Having said that, I do think he needs two of his specials changed (maybe his default and side specials. Bombs and Hero Spin are too good). Maybe something from OOT or Majora's Mask or even Hyrule Warriors (not a LoZ guy so I don't know which moves to pick). His Melee moveset is pretty different from either Link or Tink but it should be buffed/adjusted accordingly.

P.S. The Milk Taunt is legit. It would be hilarious if that healed him.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Like I said in the Yink thread, he needs his wall jump and his back air kick back. But otherwise, I don't care what else they do with him.

FancySmash

Smash Lord

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Young Link is more of a "spacie" Link. Fast dash and fastfaller.

Toon Link is NOT a reskin. He plays differently from both Link and Yink. He's floaty and fast, he has more sword based attacks (aerials are all sword based and have different properties compared to YLink's aerials), he does not have the rapid jab, he does not a Down Tilt Meteor, his boomerang is slower and weaker. The only similar thing about Tink and Yink is that they can convert off their bombs. Yink into Down Air and Tink into Forward Air.

Having said that, I do think he needs two of his specials changed (maybe his default and side specials. Bombs and Hero Spin are too good). Maybe something from OOT or Majora's Mask or even Hyrule Warriors (not a LoZ guy so I don't know which moves to pick). His Melee moveset is pretty different from either Link or Tink but it should be buffed/adjusted accordingly.

P.S. The Milk Taunt is legit. It would be hilarious if that healed him.
Ah. Sorry. I have only played a little melee so I forgot all of those weird mechanics with him that aren't there for Toon Link. However, at least get rid of the Hero Spin and replace it with something that gives him a new way to recover as opposed to just the same thing as Link (probably the Deku Scrub mask). Hero Spin is powerful, but it'd make him feel a little more 'cloney' than I'd be comfortable with after one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters and my favorite Kid Icarus: Uprising character got 'clonified'. I'd much rather it feel more like the Lucas to Link's Ness as opposed to the Lucina to Link's Marth or the Dark Pit to Link's Pit.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone think this presentation might mean anything for the Ice Climbers? I'd like to think that there is a slight chance that it could, as they would be somewhat complete due to working on the Wii U already...
No... I don't think so. I think we get Wolf and Roy (and Ryu) first, and the IC will be announced in the end of the year, if they will be announced.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Shoot! Musta missed a notification!

Anyways, it's National Best Friends day today, so flood the ballot with ICies votes!

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I forgot to bring up an extra detail from the Source Gaming article that even I didn't know about. It's what happened to this Miiverse picture.

"This image was originally uploaded as the pic of the day but was later taken down. Perhaps they planned to highlight the Ice Climbers, but they decided to stop work on them and this image was originally planned to correspond with the characters somewhat. We can’t say for sure, but it is interesting" https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/can-ice-climber-be-in-smash-4/.

Away from that topic, I mean, come on, enough of the nonbeliever stuff saying they're impossible already! Whatever happens with them, Sakurai is bound to do something to satisfy ICies fans considering the amount of fail-safe options everyone has been suggesting up to this point. I know we would all want to finally make new Ice Climbers scenarios that are only possible in Smash 4.

Even if Ice Climbers aren't confirmed at E3, even if Wolf isn't confirmed next, I'm sure there'll be plenty of things to be hyped about. The more other characters that get announced as DLC, the louder our voices shall be. Because we never give up!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I forgot to bring up an extra detail from the Source Gaming article that even I didn't know about. It's what happened to this Miiverse picture.

"This image was originally uploaded as the pic of the day but was later taken down. Perhaps they planned to highlight the Ice Climbers, but they decided to stop work on them and this image was originally planned to correspond with the characters somewhat. We can’t say for sure, but it is interesting" https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/can-ice-climber-be-in-smash-4/.

Away from that topic, I mean, come on, enough of the nonbeliever stuff saying they're impossible already! Whatever happens with them, Sakurai is bound to do something to satisfy ICies fans considering the amount of fail-safe options everyone has been suggesting up to this point. I know we would all want to finally make new Ice Climbers scenarios that are only possible in Smash 4.

Even if Ice Climbers aren't confirmed at E3, even if Wolf isn't confirmed next, I'm sure there'll be plenty of things to be hyped about. The more other characters that get announced as DLC, the louder our voices shall be. Because we never give up!
Oh no. There will definitely be more DLC announced either in Sakurai's mini-direct on the 14th or during E3. I'm thinking the ICies are at LEAST going to be mentioned/recognized during one of those two events, and I've got a good feeling it will be some good news for us ICies fans.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At the very least the Lucas update could provide us with some possible leaks like the Mewtwo update did. Still iffy about Ice Climbers being shown at E3 because there's at least two characters in front of them that are likely to be revealed.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I like this little short. It really plays on the two being together or no dice.

Although it doesn't bring the option of DLC, it's a nice play on the two's character.

Let's hope they get a second message for DLC. This time together, and no solo Popo.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I like how the competitive Smash community has grown, but there's one particular consequence I hate that they caused. The chaingrabs and wobbling ruined people's opinions on the Ice Climbers. It tainted their mindsets. Tainted I tell you! They're exploits specific to their respective Smash iterations, not signature mechanics. As if they'd allow infamous exploits like those transfer into future Smash games. I mean people actually still to this day believe that if ICies were in Smash 4, their chaingrabs would be a problem. I don't know what's worse. People saying Ice Climbers in Smash 4 are impossible period, or people not wanting Ice Climbers back because of chaingrabs which would be irrelevant anyway?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I like how the competitive Smash community has grown, but there's one particular consequence I hate that they caused. The chaingrabs and wobbling ruined people's opinions on the Ice Climbers. It tainted their mindsets. Tainted I tell you! They're exploits specific to their respective Smash iterations, not signature mechanics. As if they'd allow infamous exploits like those transfer into future Smash games. I mean people actually still to this day believe that if ICies were in Smash 4, their chaingrabs would be a problem. I don't know what's worse. People saying Ice Climbers in Smash 4 are impossible period, or people not wanting Ice Climbers back because of chaingrabs which would be irrelevant anyway?
I don't play competitive so I don't care. I just like the characters.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
As an Ice Climbers fan, I can't believe I didn't know this. Well, maybe because I don't own the NES game yet (but I plan to get it soon, I don't care what anyone says about it, I'm a retro game collector). Ice Climber had a large impact in Europe because Nintendo bundled Ice Climber with a bunch of their systems to help get their brand out in some European countries. Looks like the Ice Climbers have done something for Nintendo after all. So they really are important to Nintendo's history.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm praying they return this year.
I miss them ever so much.
More than I probably should.
I expect Wolf.
I pray for the Eskimos.
:4gaw::4littlemac::4rob::4duckhunt::popo:
Bring me the retro five.
I still think this year might be too soon to see them completely fixed on the 3DS. I would definitely expect to see something about them by next year. I think that would give them enough time to work around the 3DS problems.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I still think this year might be too soon to see them completely fixed on the 3DS. I would definitely expect to see something about them by next year. I think that would give them enough time to work around the 3DS problems.
Whether they're done or not, they BETTER be AT LEAST mentioned at E3 this year. I'm not going to wait another full year for news on them. Just tell me if you understand the ICies fans feelings, and tell me if you're going to be doing anything about it. I NEED CLOSURE!!!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
They have the New 3ds right there.
I refuse to believe it can run the entirety of Xenoblade and not Ice Climbers.
To be fair, it needs to run the entirety of Smash 3DS and ICies, but ya, it should still be possible.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Ya know, if they say that Ice Climbers still won't work in Smash, there's only one thing to do.

To console Ice Climber fans, they need to release a little revival game of some sort for the Ice Climbers. Nothing too big even, maybe a little e-shop title. As a little prize for the two not being able to work in Smash, but something to tell the fans they still care.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya know, if they say that Ice Climbers still won't work in Smash, there's only one thing to do.

To console Ice Climber fans, they need to release a little revival game of some sort for the Ice Climbers. Nothing too big even, maybe a little e-shop title. As a little prize for the two not being able to work in Smash, but something to tell the fans they still care.
Heck, that should happen even if they are in as DLC.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
True, they really could use a new game. For some reason though, I'd expect it more if they didn't get in as DLC (which I actually can't see as too likely, they've got too much support to ignore).
WAAAAAY too much support. They will be mentioned sometime soon, either the Direct or at E3. In fact, if I knew any of you guys in real life, I'd bet you guys money on it.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I feel like there's a pattern going on in the order characters are being brought as DLC as if there's a message behind it. Mewtwo and Lucas brought back into playable status after feeling left out for so long during the time that they weren't included. In their backstories, it becomes even more tragic. Mewtwo was created as a science experiment as a powerful being not understanding its purpose and being so unclear that it lashes out in anger. Eventually this conflict gets resolved, but it's because that Mewtwo was born savage with more mystery still behind the character. Mewtwo needs a hug. While I'm not too familiar on Mother 3's story, Lucas
Loses his mother early on in the game and eventually defeats his brother Claus and witnesses him killing himself
it's dark event after dark event for him. Lucas needs a hug. I think there's a reason the first two DLC characters are ones who have experienced tragedies. Maybe it's a way of saying Sakurai needs a hug. A warm and fuzzy hug given by two cute ****** children.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I feel like there's a pattern going on in the order characters are being brought as DLC as if there's a message behind it. Mewtwo and Lucas brought back into playable status after feeling left out for so long during the time that they weren't included. In their backstories, it becomes even more tragic. Mewtwo was created as a science experiment as a powerful being not understanding its purpose and being so unclear that it lashes out in anger. Eventually this conflict gets resolved, but it's because that Mewtwo was born savage with more mystery still behind the character. Mewtwo needs a hug. While I'm not too familiar on Mother 3's story, Lucas
Loses his mother early on in the game and eventually defeats his brother Claus and witnesses him killing himself
it's dark event after dark event for him. Lucas needs a hug. I think there's a reason the first two DLC characters are ones who have experienced tragedies. Maybe it's a way of saying Sakurai needs a hug. A warm and fuzzy hug given by two cute ****** children.
Lol. I like the way you think. And, as I've been hearing on the Ness boards some, your Spoiler Alert is pretty accurate.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Well, the first two cut veterans that came back were along with a tradegy, and maybe the next two (Ice Climber and [insert character here] perhaps?) are things with original concepts behind their gameplay.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, the first two cut veterans that came back were along with a tradegy, and maybe the next two (Ice Climber and [insert character here] perhaps?) are things with original concepts behind their gameplay.
So Ice Climbers and Inkling are next. Lol, cool.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I hope it's Ice Climbers and Snake! (Admittedly, I don't like the idea of entire series being removed to begin with, but Snake was certainly more original in terms of moves and the concepts behind them than the other cut veterans)

Top Bottom