• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I wanna see a
I cant believe that I am not supporting this.
This game needs the Ice Climbers. I thought i supported this thread, but this seems not to be the case.
Please add me as a supporter. Lets hope that they will be announced as a DLC...:popo:
Prolly supported the previous thread or somethin'. Great to have you on-board :)

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Hi, I'm new to the whole Smashboards thing, sorry... But I've been lurking this thread for a couple of....months... and I too would like to be a supporter! We need Nana and Popo to return! And you guys have made some very valid points about their return, and I love it. I also hope to bring this fourm back to life a little bit! :popo:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hi, I'm new to the whole Smashboards thing, sorry... But I've been lurking this thread for a couple of....months... and I too would like to be a supporter! We need Nana and Popo to return! And you guys have made some very valid points about their return, and I love it. I also hope to bring this fourm back to life a little bit! :popo:
Not to worry. I wouldn't say this thread is dead. I'd say more that business is just a little slow. We don't have much to speculate I guess at the moment because there is no leak for the Ice Climbers, similar to Wolf and Snake. Also, veterans don't need speculation on move sets and the rest due to already having them. I suppose the reason Roy's thread is booming right now is due to that leak.

*sigh* Can we please get some kind of Ice Climber leak, pretty please?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Not to worry. I wouldn't say this thread is dead. I'd say more that business is just a little slow. We don't have much to speculate I guess at the moment because there is no leak for the Ice Climbers, similar to Wolf and Snake. Also, veterans don't need speculation on move sets and the rest due to already having them. I suppose the reason Roy's thread is booming right now is due to that leak.

*sigh* Can we please get some kind of Ice Climber leak, pretty please?
I like how Roy, the most boring clone they could've picked has a leak but Wolf/Ice Climbers don't.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Welcome to the community. Hope these two can make it back in, hopefully at E3 they'll be announced for DLC.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Because Wolf is a matter of time and Icies would be working off of data on-disc from previous attempts and not having new data like the characters on the Leak.
Honestly, Roy is right up there with Mewtwo for some of the hardest characters to make in the game. He might not be Ice Climber difficult, but they'd have to make him from the ground up, as him and Mewtwo were from Melee, it wouldn't exactly be easy to just import them from that game. The technology just isn't up to date.

Now, this gives the possibility of Roy being a non-clone now. If this is the case, I'll be fine with him. Otherwise, if we see him as another Marth Clone, well, I'll be more salty towards his inclusion than Dark Pit. If he is included, which is very likely, they better handle him well...

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Honestly, Roy is right up there with Mewtwo for some of the hardest characters to make in the game. He might not be Ice Climber difficult, but they'd have to make him from the ground up, as him and Mewtwo were from Melee, it wouldn't exactly be easy to just import them from that game. The technology just isn't up to date.

Now, this gives the possibility of Roy being a non-clone now. If this is the case, I'll be fine with him. Otherwise, if we see him as another Marth Clone, well, I'll be more salty towards his inclusion than Dark Pit. If he is included, which is very likely, they better handle him well...
Well they barely changed Mewtwo I don't see them changing Roy. It also seems like they didn't change Lucas one bit so there's that too.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Well they barely changed Mewtwo I don't see them changing Roy. It also seems like they didn't change Lucas one bit so there's that too.
In general, things just aren't looking too good for Roy. Seriously, I think this might also upset Roy fans.

But I'm getting away from myself, this is the Ice Climber thread, and here we are talking about Roy. Most careless on my part, we should change the subject.

So, changes we'd expect to see with the Ice Climbers. Perhaps to simplify the two, they'll make it so that Nana can't go that far from Popo and vice versa?

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I like how Roy, the most boring clone they could've picked has a leak but Wolf/Ice Climbers don't.
The Cutting Room Floor confirmed the legitimacy of the Roy sound file, it's pretty much confirmed. Roy is much easier to incorporate than Ice Climbers, as they likely require a complete reworking in order to work on the 3DS. Which is why they were postponed during development. As for Wolf, they're very likely saving him for the time StarFox Wii U comes out.

It could take a while before we see Ice Climbers come back, but hopefully we get a word about them sometime this year. At E3 i hope.

Mewtwo isn't a clone, he didn't need to be changed. Lucas is a semi-clone of Ness. Roy was a clone in Melee because they had nothing to base him off of, his own game wasn't released yet.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think its for simplicity/save time and they are just focusing on balancing more s than changing the characters- there is also the mindset that the fans want said character because they might have enjoyed playing them in the past.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
The Cutting Room Floor confirmed the legitimacy of the Roy sound file, it's pretty much confirmed. Roy is much easier to incorporate than Ice Climbers, as they likely require a complete reworking in order to work on the 3DS. Which is why they were postponed during development. As for Wolf, they're very likely saving him for the time StarFox Wii U comes out.

It could take a while before we see Ice Climbers come back, but hopefully we get a word about them sometime this year. At E3 i hope.

Mewtwo isn't a clone, he didn't need to be changed. Lucas is a semi-clone of Ness. Roy was a clone in Melee because they had nothing to base him off of, his own game wasn't released yet.
Well, that's just it. They've only confirmed the sound file. There is a great chance that it's confirmation of Roy, but other than that, we aren't 100% sure. Yes, Roy is easier to incorporate than the Ice Climbers, but he still is pretty difficult to include. Much like Mewtwo, as Melee just can't be imported into Smash 4. I'll buy that for Wolf. I've been curious as to why we get Roy before Wolf, but this seems likely.

Roy being a clone in Melee I'm afraid might have sealed his fate. I don't think they'll change him much, do to not wanting to alienate those who have played as him before. This is why Ganondorf remains a Captain Falcon clone. Unfortunately, we have 2 Marth's right now, so I don't think Roy fans would be unhappy if Roy was revamped.

Who knows, maybe we'll get more than we bargained for at E3..

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, that's just it. They've only confirmed the sound file. There is a great chance that it's confirmation of Roy, but other than that, we aren't 100% sure. Yes, Roy is easier to incorporate than the Ice Climbers, but he still is pretty difficult to include. Much like Mewtwo, as Melee just can't be imported into Smash 4. I'll buy that for Wolf. I've been curious as to why we get Roy before Wolf, but this seems likely.

Roy being a clone in Melee I'm afraid might have sealed his fate. I don't think they'll change him much, do to not wanting to alienate those who have played as him before. This is why Ganondorf remains a Captain Falcon clone. Unfortunately, we have 2 Marth's right now, so I don't think Roy fans would be unhappy if Roy was revamped.

Who knows, maybe we'll get more than we bargained for at E3..
ICies and Wolf are all I care for. If we get Roy, meh. I would like to have some word on the Miiverse stage and tournament mode though...

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
It's a touchy subject when discussing characters being re-tooled or not. We see Ganondorf unchanged to prevent alienating those players and Lucas is the same to meet fan expectations who were waiting for him. Mewtwo already having a unique moveset and not being a clone made no reason to change it. Then we have the 1 for 1 clones that were planned to be skins but then made their own characters as an "extra dessert." We even got Dr. Mario back as his own character to avoid backlash from Doc players. Then we have veterans who were modified going into this installment. Aside from characteristic changes like Lucario and Yoshi, characters were modified to be up and running on both versions. Charizard is on his own now (we can assume it's the Pokemon trainer who throws the Pokeball). Zero Suit Samus and Sheik are now separated from Samus and Zelda. Olimar carries 3 Pikmin in a specified order. These characters broke tradition, Zelda especially for being a Melee veteran. Are there large riots for those characters being changed disregarding Squirtle and Ivysaur? No, I haven't heard any. Sakurai did a superb job with the new direction of these characters in my opinion. So what category will the Ice Climbers likely fall under? It seems like a near definite choice, but they'd probably be a character that goes through some type of modification. Because they're two characters in one on screen at the same time, things get a bit more complicated. So many arguments are thrown about saying, "If ICies get changed it'll take away their uniqueness." I see where they're coming from and it's been talked about here with a "go to this quote for an explanation of why we don't want a SoPo." I don't think Sakurai would cheap out and just shoe in a solo Ice Climber with the two of them as alts. I'm Sure that Sakurai has a deep regret for cutting them in the first place, but would want to try again and not give up this time and try his best to get them as close to their traditional playstyle as possible. Perhaps he'll have a process of elimination setup where he has traditional as his first thing to attempt again going all the way down to solo as the last resort. Trying even more possible methods will help prevent them from ceasing development on them again. Sakurai knows what he's doing and he wants to please the fans. As long as we vote for them in the ballot, everything else should fall into place.

Also it bothers me to no end when people try to claim that traditional Ice Climbers can't work in 8-Player Smash. Let's be sure to help educate the nonbelievers in the process.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
There is a part of me that thinks Ice Climbers come back with the same basic kit, maybe same minor tweaks for 3DS limitations and new rules (Ex: Condor Up-B since tether recoveries are dead, and a new FS for space) But then a take in consideration of other modes other than Regular Smash, namely Smash Run, All-Star Mode, and Multi-Man Smash. I feel like these modes might make the game lag/crash with all these on screen models/AIs at once. However, I'm too worried since the last two the Ice Climbers have been in before, and someone (I forgot who I'm sorry) stated the enemies have AI that don't take much space, so those are pluses.

But I'm getting away from myself, this is the Ice Climber thread, and here we are talking about Roy. Most careless on my part, we should change the subject.

So, changes we'd expect to see with the Ice Climbers. Perhaps to simplify the two, they'll make it so that Nana can't go that far from Popo and vice versa?
Well, as mentioned above two things I want are the new Up-Special and for a new FS, and I have two ideas.
A. The Ice Climber(s) do the animation from Brawl, but instead of calling an Iceberg, they start swinging around (Like Squall Hammer) and form a large, icy tornado. Characters caught will receive multiple hits then shot out frozen.

OR

B. The Climber(s) whistle calling on a Condor. They hop on flying around and dropping......uh....... Eggplant Bombs....I dont know.

But the main change I want is to have them more about being together than apart. Leave spacing to Rosalina & Luma. Maybe make it to where f-air only spikes if both mallets hit or something like that. And also maybe make Nana cling to Popo AI wise.

Well that was a lot. Not bad for a 13 y/o, eh?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
There is a part of me that thinks Ice Climbers come back with the same basic kit, maybe same minor tweaks for 3DS limitations and new rules (Ex: Condor Up-B since tether recoveries are dead, and a new FS for space) But then a take in consideration of other modes other than Regular Smash, namely Smash Run, All-Star Mode, and Multi-Man Smash. I feel like these modes might make the game lag/crash with all these on screen models/AIs at once. However, I'm too worried since the last two the Ice Climbers have been in before, and someone (I forgot who I'm sorry) stated the enemies have AI that don't take much space, so those are pluses.

Well, as mentioned above two things I want are the new Up-Special and for a new FS, and I have two ideas.
A. The Ice Climber(s) do the animation from Brawl, but instead of calling an Iceberg, they start swinging around (Like Squall Hammer) and form a large, icy tornado. Characters caught will receive multiple hits then shot out frozen.

OR

B. The Climber(s) whistle calling on a Condor. They hop on flying around and dropping......uh....... Eggplant Bombs....I dont know.

But the main change I want is to have them more about being together than apart. Leave spacing to Rosalina & Luma. Maybe make it to where f-air only spikes if both mallets hit or something like that. And also maybe make Nana cling to Popo AI wise.

Well that was a lot. Not bad for a 13 y/o, eh?
Definitely creative. I was thinking though, maybe if they kept their old Final Smash, but allowed them to CLIMB THE ICE it'd be more effective. But your Ice Tornado idea sounds wicked awesome!

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Definitely creative. I was thinking though, maybe if they kept their old Final Smash, but allowed them to CLIMB THE ICE it'd be more effective. But your Ice Tornado idea sounds wicked awesome!
Well I don't know if the Iceberg will take up to much space, but if not that would great to finally BE AN ICE CLIMBER AND CLIMBER THE ICE.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Why not give them a final smash that spawns the polar bear who acts like a constant POW block item along with falling icicles or something.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Why not give them a final smash that spawns the polar bear who acts like a constant POW block item along with falling icicles or something.
Because then it'd be ping pong between the bottom and top parts of the stage.

But that's not too bad. Not my preference, but not bad.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Because then it'd be ping pong between the bottom and top parts of the stage.

But that's not too bad. Not my preference, but not bad.
I still like the iceberg but its awfully boring and generally ineffective so I do think it needs a little something to spice it up.

At least give it some visual ques from their original title.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I still like the iceberg but its awfully boring and generally ineffective so I do think it needs a little something to spice it up.

At least give it some visual ques from their original title.
Oh there's no doubt Iceberg needs an upgrade. Maybe keep the Iceberg, allow the ICies to climb it, and add in an enemy or two from Ice Climber that spawns on the iceberg, but can go onto any part of the stage, doing maybe 5% damage if the enemy hits an opponent?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh there's no doubt Iceberg needs an upgrade. Maybe keep the Iceberg, allow the ICies to climb it, and add in an enemy or two from Ice Climber that spawns on the iceberg, but can go onto any part of the stage, doing maybe 5% damage if the enemy hits an opponent?
Maybe the iceberg explodes?

If Belay gets scraped it's not because they are getting rid of tether recoveries. Link, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Lucas still have a tether.
:4sheik: lost hers because she needed more power now that she no longer has Zelda.
:4olimar:lost his because three Pikmin were not going to work as a tether, which Olimar had a hard time using anyway.
:4zss:lost the tether as an up special because she already has two tethers, and the jet boots were more helpful than a third tether.
:popo:would probably loose their tether so a solo Ice Climber (Meaning if you get the other Ice Climber killed) could make a recovery. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just allowed you to throw the rope instead of the other Ice Climber to make a tether recovery. (and maybe even snatch opponents out of the air as a special grab when you are on the ground.)
:ivysaur:I don't see any reason to get rid of his tether recovery. At most I think they would just elongate it.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Maybe a polar bear and topis pushing blocks alongside it? Id also like if the iceburg/mountain had the colored blocks telling you how high up you were too.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
If we get a newly-styled final smash, I want to see either the Ice Tornado idea or a reference to the original Ice Climber's toughest sections: the bonus area.

I think it'd be cool if they called up a condor a-la Blue Falcon final smash, which carried any enemies it hit up really high in a cut-scene. The Ice Climbers would then proceed to climb up the bonus zone from the first Ice Climber level, picking up eggplants as they go, and finish with them knocking the condor out of the sky, with the boost from the energy in the eggplants to deal huge damage (e.g. 60%) and launch the opponent in one almighty crash. When it's finished, one eggplant, which heals 5% and gives a boost (like Deep Breathing) to whoever eats it, will spawn where the condor took its prey - right in the Ice Climbers' grasp.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Maybe the iceberg explodes?

If Belay gets scraped it's not because they are getting rid of tether recoveries. Link, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Lucas still have a tether.
:4sheik: lost hers because she needed more power now that she no longer has Zelda.
:4olimar:lost his because three Pikmin were not going to work as a tether, which Olimar had a hard time using anyway.
:4zss:lost the tether as an up special because she already has two tethers, and the jet boots were more helpful than a third tether.
:popo:would probably loose their tether so a solo Ice Climber (Meaning if you get the other Ice Climber killed) could make a recovery. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just allowed you to throw the rope instead of the other Ice Climber to make a tether recovery. (and maybe even snatch opponents out of the air as a special grab when you are on the ground.)
:ivysaur:I don't see any reason to get rid of his tether recovery. At most I think they would just elongate it.
Lol, like lasso them out of the air when used on the ground? That'd be pretty hilarious. @ Final Smash comment, possibly.

If we get a newly-styled final smash, I want to see either the Ice Tornado idea or a reference to the original Ice Climber's toughest sections: the bonus area.

I think it'd be cool if they called up a condor a-la Blue Falcon final smash, which carried any enemies it hit up really high in a cut-scene. The Ice Climbers would then proceed to climb up the bonus zone from the first Ice Climber level, picking up eggplants as they go, and finish with them knocking the condor out of the sky, with the boost from the energy in the eggplants to deal huge damage (e.g. 60%) and launch the opponent in one almighty crash. When it's finished, one eggplant, which heals 5% and gives a boost (like Deep Breathing) to whoever eats it, will spawn where the condor took its prey - right in the Ice Climbers' grasp.
Wow. That sounds unique. I'd enjoy seeing something go back to their original game too.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
I love this idea! It would be even cooler if like during the cutscence they went 8-bit like in Duck Hunt's.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking... how would we all react if the ICs make it in? I mean, I know I'd be hyped, but just how hyped would I be? Actually, I'm constantly worried that including the ICs would cause harm to the Smash Bros Franchise and Fanbase somehow. I guess a lot of people are glad they're gone... hm. Like, I love them and I want them in, but I really care for the Smash Bros franchise too much to sorta risk them coming in and upsetting the balance somehow, whether it be Wii U exclusivity, or chaingrabs coming back, or something crazy like that. It just sorta seems like a lot to ask for, even though heck, in my eyes they almost seem worth all the trouble.

Still, they're not as iconic as Captain Falcon and Fox, and not as liked as Ganon, Pikachu, and Mewtwo (probably??). When I hype for the ICs to in, I realize that I'm starting to get nervous. I really want them in but just think of how much that might be to ask? If I was Sakurai and things looked as grim as they're believed by so many Ice Climber anti-supporters or "non-believers," I think I would just opt not to include them, even though they're so great and have a lot of nostalgic, moveset, technical ability, and cute-factor potential.

Hahaha, I guess the main thing is that I don't want to be too hopeful just to have my hopes shot down :C

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm thinking... how would we all react if the ICs make it in? I mean, I know I'd be hyped, but just how hyped would I be? Actually, I'm constantly worried that including the ICs would cause harm to the Smash Bros Franchise and Fanbase somehow. I guess a lot of people are glad they're gone... hm. Like, I love them and I want them in, but I really care for the Smash Bros franchise too much to sorta risk them coming in and upsetting the balance somehow, whether it be Wii U exclusivity, or chaingrabs coming back, or something crazy like that. It just sorta seems like a lot to ask for, even though heck, in my eyes they almost seem worth all the trouble.

Still, they're not as iconic as Captain Falcon and Fox, and not as liked as Ganon, Pikachu, and Mewtwo (probably??). When I hype for the ICs to in, I realize that I'm starting to get nervous. I really want them in but just think of how much that might be to ask? If I was Sakurai and things looked as grim as they're believed by so many Ice Climber anti-supporters or "non-believers," I think I would just opt not to include them, even though they're so great and have a lot of nostalgic, moveset, technical ability, and cute-factor potential.

Hahaha, I guess the main thing is that I don't want to be too hopeful just to have my hopes shot down :C
Ah, Flor@, I wouldn't worry about it. No one was really upset with having the two in Melee and Brawl (heck, they were more upset with Meta Knight in Brawl, and he came back). With the new mechanics for grabbing, I don't think we'd have to worry about chain grabs anymore. They might not be iconic, but I'm sure they're liked. I mean, aren't all of us examples of them being liked? I'm prepared to have my hopes shot down, but I'd prefer them being shot down in a message similar to something like this.

"We have noticed the support for the cut veterans, the Ice Climbers. Because of this, we once again attempted a work around to fix the duo on the 3DS. Despite our best efforts and the extra time from DLC, we still couldn't work the two. We apologize to the fans of the character, but we couldn't get them to work. Look for them in Smash 5 though!"

Take it from a Jigglypuff main. A lot of people would be happy to see my favorite pink puffball gone. However, for everyone that's happy that a character is gone, another is either sad, furious, or a combination of both. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Ice Climbers won't affect the Smash Bros series negatively in any way, that's my opinion. :)

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
I'm starting to get a little worried about Ice Climbers on 3DS. I mean, do you really think it can handle 8 Ice Climbers, and items, and on a stage like Wily's Castle. I mean guess if they have low poly models it would be ok, but still, it just frightens me.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm starting to get a little worried about Ice Climbers on 3DS. I mean, do you really think it can handle 8 Ice Climbers, and items, and on a stage like Wily's Castle. I mean guess if they have low poly models it would be ok, but still, it just frightens me.
Well you know if the 3DS version didn't exist there wouldn't be a problem would there.

Top Bottom