• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
What if Sakurai took Ice Climbers and made a new Ice Climber game thats a platformer in the style of Super Mario 3D Land, but you know with ice everywhere.
While I do think that Nintendo ought not to overthink the game idea and keep it simple, and super mario 3d land isn't necessarily bad, but I would personally rather have an ICs reboot be almost nothing like Super Mario World 3D, aside from the platforming aspect in general. I do realize that the 2d platforming model is a bit dated, but honestly it can still be really fun. Just look at games like Smash Bros, Kirby, and almost every popular fighting game. They're all in a 2D plane, but the gameplay can still be really awesome and fun.

But then again, Nintendo is going for things that appeal to everybody. So the question is, how could they make a game revolve around the Ice Climbers and make it interesting and somewhat refreshing to play? What I think is: just involve some fun mechanics with their hammers, their smash-originating "ice blast," as well as team-based abilities, which could vary depending on what the game is like, a basic multiplayer platformer? Single player controlling two ice climbers? A party game with around 6 ice climbers able to play at once, sharing a pool of lives and trying to reach the top of the mountain to get to an awesome bonus stage?

They could really do something just as simple as that--party-game ice climber game, race to the top of the mountain, keep going as far as you can by keeping teammates alive, working together to beat enemies and bosses, collecting abilities and perhaps some sort of ice-crystals as currency to buy, say, fun purchasable bonus levels, character archetypes, personal skins connected to your nametag, which can be usable on any Wii U because it's online-based... Holy smokes that would be fun and I would probably buy it... given I can gather enough friends to play it to its fullest potential. (and oh goodness, can you imagine the online play, and the LAG with 6 players? oh man...)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
While I do think that Nintendo ought not to overthink the game idea and keep it simple, and super mario 3d land isn't necessarily bad, but I would personally rather have an ICs reboot be almost nothing like Super Mario World 3D, aside from the platforming aspect in general. I do realize that the 2d platforming model is a bit dated, but honestly it can still be really fun. Just look at games like Smash Bros, Kirby, and almost every popular fighting game. They're all in a 2D plane, but the gameplay can still be really awesome and fun.

But then again, Nintendo is going for things that appeal to everybody. So the question is, how could they make a game revolve around the Ice Climbers and make it interesting and somewhat refreshing to play? What I think is: just involve some fun mechanics with their hammers, their smash-originating "ice blast," as well as team-based abilities, which could vary depending on what the game is like, a basic multiplayer platformer? Single player controlling two ice climbers? A party game with around 6 ice climbers able to play at once, sharing a pool of lives and trying to reach the top of the mountain to get to an awesome bonus stage?

They could really do something just as simple as that--party-game ice climber game, race to the top of the mountain, keep going as far as you can by keeping teammates alive, working together to beat enemies and bosses, collecting abilities and perhaps some sort of ice-crystals as currency to buy, say, fun purchasable bonus levels, character archetypes, personal skins connected to your nametag, which can be usable on any Wii U because it's online-based... Holy smokes that would be fun and I would probably buy it... given I can gather enough friends to play it to its fullest potential. (and oh goodness, can you imagine the online play, and the LAG with 6 players? oh man...)
I personally prefer a 3D platformer idea. I just said Super Mario 3D Land because it was the first 3D platformer that came into my head.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I once had a thought about a potential throwback retro style stage for ICies much like Balloon Fight on the 3DS. Maybe there could be destructible blocks above you that you can break like the Mushroom Kingdom stage in Melee. There's probably some potential by taking assets from their Break the Targets stage in Melee. Also I just started to try out amiibo TAP and I played a lot of the Ice Climber scenes that I got from my Zelda amiibo. I'm glad the games that they give you scenes for are random and don't come from specific amiibo so I'm not even mad by it. It makes me want an Ice Climber game even more. And at least it's lengthier than the Ice Climber Masterpiece in Brawl which by the way was the second freaking one shown there.

I've also done some analyzing trying to decode Sakurai's thoughts on new Smash DLC. A while back I found an interesting quote from an article about how Sakurai originally planned to distribute Mewtwo. http://www.destructoid.com/super-sm...ns-studio-s-reversal-on-paid-dlc-291080.phtml
In his Famitsu column, translated by Sourcegaming, Sakurai explained the evolution of the decision that started when the team noticed, "a flaw in [their] logic" when it came to releasing Mewtwo as a "special thanks" to fans that double dipped. "For example, in a family with several children, each child might have their own 3DS but share the same Wii U," Sakurai said. "If we were to only distribute Mewtwo to those who purchased both versions of the game, only one of the children could play with this new character on his or her 3DS. Thus, we decided to offer Mewtwo as premium content for other users as well."
A flaw in their logic? So they didn't even consider households with siblings that all own the 3DS version and share the same Wii U version? That's quite an odd oversight. You'd think that they wouldn't overlook something that simple and it's at least good that they made that turnaround. So we have until October to keep getting our point across on how badly we want Ice Climbers to return. If they rethought their intentions for Mewtwo, maybe they can rework a plan for bringing back ICies.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I've also done some analyzing trying to decode Sakurai's thoughts on new Smash DLC. A while back I found an interesting quote from an article about how Sakurai originally planned to distribute Mewtwo. http://www.destructoid.com/super-sm...ns-studio-s-reversal-on-paid-dlc-291080.phtml
In his Famitsu column, translated by Sourcegaming, Sakurai explained the evolution of the decision that started when the team noticed, "a flaw in [their] logic" when it came to releasing Mewtwo as a "special thanks" to fans that double dipped. "For example, in a family with several children, each child might have their own 3DS but share the same Wii U," Sakurai said. "If we were to only distribute Mewtwo to those who purchased both versions of the game, only one of the children could play with this new character on his or her 3DS. Thus, we decided to offer Mewtwo as premium content for other users as well."
A flaw in their logic? So they didn't even consider households with siblings that all own the 3DS version and share the same Wii U version? That's quite an odd oversight. You'd think that they wouldn't overlook something that simple and it's at least good that they made that turnaround. So we have until October to keep getting our point across on how badly we want Ice Climbers to return. If they rethought their intentions for Mewtwo, maybe they can rework a plan for bringing back ICies.
Ha, that's funny. Decoding Sakurai. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and slow the train down

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah! That was the kind of thing I had in mind. With topis/seals and falling ice blocks to encourage players to move, and with the ceiling being just low enough for it to be easy to destroy/get above the blocks with your attacks/your opponents' launched bodies it'd become a great way to also flip the tables and make players be constantly alert of everything that is going on, resulting in fast-paced, think-on-your-feet-style matches. Add a variety of different level designs into the mix and you have yourself an amazing stage that'd be the first moving stage which I would enjoy playing on! I've never liked the way that the moving stages would force you to move just to keep up for the sake of anti-camp (and I thought they were obnoxious even before the "speed up" period) and I think that this strategy of going about it would make the stage movements either strategic or detremental, varying from situation to situation, while harking back to the game's roots.
Ugh...don't remind me of that Zelda challenge in Brawl where you had to go up Rumble Falls at high speed the entire way...

Though I really think Nintendo could do something with this idea! Can someone get a Nintendo of America rep here on the IC boards???

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
If ICs come back I wonder what costumes they would have, the bear costum would be incredible to have.
I hope they have could have their Orange costume from melee.
Their white and blue costumes(where they both were nearly the same) one of them shouldn't really be one, but whatevs.
Their black costum was very cool too, I generally always played on that one online.

It would be so sweet.
I think these should be their costumes
Blue, Green, Bear costume, maybe a Darker blue. These are where PoPo is lead.

For Nana
Red, Orange, Black, Yellow

I thi it should follow a rule where generally PoPos costumes have him where cool colors when controlled whereas Nana is Warm colors when controlled it would be cool.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
If ICs come back I wonder what costumes they would have, the bear costum would be incredible to have.
I hope they have could have their Orange costume from melee.
Their white and blue costumes(where they both were nearly the same) one of them shouldn't really be one, but whatevs.
Their black costum was very cool too, I generally always played on that one online.

It would be so sweet.
I think these should be their costumes
Blue, Green, Bear costume, maybe a Darker blue. These are where PoPo is lead.

For Nana
Red, Orange, Black, Yellow

I thi it should follow a rule where generally PoPos costumes have him where cool colors when controlled whereas Nana is Warm colors when controlled it would be cool.
Would anyone be OK with costumes based off of Plusle and Minun? You know, because it's theorized that they were considered for Brawl? Anyone?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Would anyone be OK with costumes based off of Plusle and Minun? You know, because it's theorized that they were considered for Brawl? Anyone?
I'd be cool with that (then again, I barely ever use the alternate costumes).

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If they just brought back Popo, then Nana could be an alternate costume similar to Olimar/Alph with their names changing and everything. I'm sure that's been suggested many times before.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
True. I often just use the default costume for characters. There are a few however that I use alts for, Jigglypuff being one of them.
The only character I use an "alt." for is my main, R.O.B., since his red and white Famicom colors far surpass the dull gray and white American one.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of costumes, I wonder, if they got in, they would ever make it more clear about whether Nana or Popo is the one being the one being controlled. I mean, I guess it's alright that we can't tell-because it's a team effort, not a solo effort... but y'know, I think it would still be cool regardless.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
If they just brought back Popo, then Nana could be an alternate costume similar to Olimar/Alph with their names changing and everything. I'm sure that's been suggested many times before.
This has been brought up and shot down many-a-time. This thread is for discussion of the Ice Climbers so plz keep it to the duo :]

Also welcome to the thread :)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Speaking of costumes, I wonder, if they got in, they would ever make it more clear about whether Nana or Popo is the one being the one being controlled. I mean, I guess it's alright that we can't tell-because it's a team effort, not a solo effort... but y'know, I think it would still be cool regardless.
Like Marigi said, the majority of us don't like this idea. But we would accept it as a last resort option.

Welcome to the ICies thread.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Like Marigi said, the majority of us don't like this idea. But we would accept it as a last resort option.

Welcome to the ICies thread.
Well, what I meant was more like: when playing as the Ice Climbers, the costume changes change who is leading: Nana or Popo. You already know this. But what I'm wondering is if they'll make their faces/hair more visible when playing as the ICs, so that it's quite apparent who is leading and who is following. Although one could just sorta guess by the colors, that's not really... like, no, lol. Naw! So I'm wondering that if they got back in, they'd make their faces more recognizable from a distance.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Well, what I meant was more like: when playing as the Ice Climbers, the costume changes change who is leading: Nana or Popo. You already know this. But what I'm wondering is if they'll make their faces/hair more visible when playing as the ICs, so that it's quite apparent who is leading and who is following. Although one could just sorta guess by the colors, that's not really... like, no, lol. Naw! So I'm wondering that if they got back in, they'd make their faces more recognizable from a distance.
I kinda agree with this mainly because if you watch melee climbers with commentators they literally ALWAYS call PoPo Nana regardless of custom, and it's really dumb.

With them having even more costumes obviously they would be more difficult to distinguish from eachother

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I kinda agree with this mainly because if you watch melee climbers with commentators they literally ALWAYS call PoPo Nana regardless of custom, and it's really dumb.

With them having even more costumes obviously they would be more difficult to distinguish from eachother
I know right? No matter who's the lead climber, they ALWAYS call the player Popo and the AI Nana. When I see ICies being played I think to myself, "Am I the only one who remembers you can play as Nana and have the AI be Popo?" And Melee has been out for how long? Know your colors. Blue and pink = (p) Popo (cpu) Nana. Red and white = (p) Nana (cpu) Popo. Green and yellow = (p) Popo (cpu) Nana. Orange and light blue = (p) Nana (cpu) Popo. I know people decide to say it because it's easier, but come on! Gender equality, people.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Transferring this here cause I know you lot will love it just as much as I do <3

Oh my gosh! That looks amazing! Shame it's not real...yet.

Only problem I see is that the Amiibo uses the Brawl artwork, yet the box has that picture that whoever created on it...

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I have a weird feeling that there's this pattern for veteran DLC. Maybe every 2 vets will be in a particular pattern. Let's start with Mewtwo and Lucas. Both highly requested when absent and now both confirmed. Mewtwo had an important role in DLC as the introduction, proving that they will in fact create DLC. For the character itself, many anxious fans were desperately hoping Mewtwo would return from its now finally ended 7 year hiatus (March 2008 - April 2015). That's a long wait for a unique and well loved character. However, there were skeptics and naysayers talking against the possibility of its inclusion and talking **** mocking Mewtwo while they were at it (i.e. "Lucario/Greninja 'replacing' Mewtwo" which were both false). You'd also have people making Mewtwo look really pathetic trying to audition. I mean why go there? Why does a veteran need to audition to compete with newcomers? A character with an a moveset established in the franchise and it's Mewtwo for crying out loud! Also you'd have people say Mewtwo "sucked in Melee" and try to pass it off as something going towards their argument. But enough of my rambling. Naysayers kept bashing, fans were outraged and in despair, the rest is history. Now onto Lucas. A Brawl veteran, shares similarities in his moveset, specials are customs for Ness, seems like an easier character to recreate. I prefer the term "alternate" when talking about characters like Lucas and Wolf rather than clones because they at least have diversity. So Lucas is back as being the easier of the 2 characters to make. So going back to what I was saying about the pattern, you know what other veterans share similar stories? Ice Climbers and Wolf. Ice Climbers are a highly requested and very missed Melee veteran with skeptics and naysayers trying to say they're impossible to bring back while Wolf is an alternate with a large fanbase backing him up. I feel that Wolf will relatively have the same circumstances as Lucas did. If Mewtwo came back despite all the skeptics and naysayers, I believe that the Ice Climbers will still come back and even when people say otherwise I will still feel hopeful, yet annoyed by what they're saying. So I think it'll be really cool if this actually was the pattern seeing that Ice Climbers and Wolf make the most sense being the next 2 veterans in line for DLC and it will make us all very happy and relieved.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers were the first ones I voted for in the Smash Ballot, and I never really played as them much. The game doesn't feel quite complete without them since I have only played Smash since Melee and are just used to them always being there. :(

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ice Climbers were the first ones I voted for in the Smash Ballot, and I never really played as them much. The game doesn't feel quite complete without them since I have only played Smash since Melee and are just used to them always being there. :(
Thanks for the support.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Actually, this is basically it for me. When the ICs were said to have been cut/not likely to get in due to the 3DS's hardware limitations and their low priority at the time, I was still hyped for Smash 4, and I honestly was a bit disappointed but there was so much new content to look forward to that it didn't matter to me at all, really.
But here we are, some months later after the release of the game, and Mewtwo and Lucas are announced. I think I've already said this before, but basically, man it'd be a total bummer if the ICs still didn't make it in while all these vets, including Wolf probably, would make it back in after being cut, leaving the ICs behind.
I've gone from not caring that much to being a strongly supportive and somewhat angsty IC supporter (who only played Brawl and Smash 4 enough to count) who misses them and would love to see them make it back in and possibly get revamped.
Let's hope Nintendo has a number of new things they'll announce at E3! :wolf::popo:

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
At least just make one and the other an alternate costume.
Hi! Welcome to the thread. I direct you to this post:
This has been brought up and shot down many-a-time. This thread is for discussion of the Ice Climbers so plz keep it to the duo :]

Also welcome to the thread :)
Heh... I've gotten so lazy that I've given up on even typing this...

Last edited:
Late as hell reply but the reason that commentators call the lead character popo always is simply because it is less confusing. If they called the lead character Nana listeners will probably assume they mean the second climber. It is simply much easier for both listeners and commentators to just default to calling them Popo.

Plus then the joke for SoPo can be made :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
Late as hell reply but the reason that commentators call the lead character popo always is simply because it is less confusing. If they called the lead character Nana listeners will probably assume they mean the second climber. It is simply much easier for both listeners and commentators to just default to calling them Popo.

Plus then the joke for SoPo can be made :p
But... when it's Nana by herself.

It's the NoPo skill!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I missed the discussion but I always wondered what an Ice climbers reboot would be like if it had a mechanic similar to Journey where you met other players along the way to either help or just pass on by.

EndlessChrom

Smash Rookie
I cant believe that I am not supporting this.
This game needs the Ice Climbers. I thought i supported this thread, but this seems not to be the case.
Please add me as a supporter. Lets hope that they will be announced as a DLC...:popo:

Top Bottom