• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking Mario: Execution

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
Jab has such great mindgame potential, I do literally everything after it now. Besides the obvious stuff (jab to dsmash, jab to grab, etc.), there's:

Jab to spotdodge...

Jab to charged fsmash (in the other direction sometimes)...

Jab to SHdair...

A lot of it is character/player/percentage dependent tho. I'll jab to spotdodge a lot more vs DK/Marth/MK than vs like...Samus or Sonic since they're less likely to mash out something punishable between jab cancels.

When I'm BEING jabbed, I either mash nair, upB, or just hold shield if I think they're going to try to cancel it into something. If I'm feeling ballsy, I'll try dsmash.

@Exdia: What do you mean when you're in a jab situation? Jabbing or being jabbed? Explain, thanks

ME: good this is good more data for the ultimate battle its not when i ask questions im asking cause i dont know(i played mario from the start)i ask to see where everyone is because right now the :mario2: boards are stuck but im going to fix that just a matter of time so lets just focus on more info and more characters.

@Matador: May you explain what you followup jab, how you followup after jabbing (any) & why you're doing what you're doing. Helps gamer get a much better understanding & helps them think about those situations from a better perspective. I don't mean to come off as dictating (condescending etc) but that's how I feel when I read your post (rarely my own believe it or not). Usually, (even with myself) before I post I'll re-read it as if I were the reader & ask myself multiple questions in order to confirm that it's understandable.

Mashing versus timing may be the next topic I'd like to discuss. Good chance it will be

ME: nah matador's answer was correct "Just what i needed" says mario omari i need an answer from you and all others.

EVERYTHING WILL COME TOGETHER JUST YOU ALL WAIT....

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You don't really need to play much to do good, i just came back from a 2 month break and got 5th place yesterday lol. Also Gimps are rare because people allow them to be rare, olimar is understandable because his recovery is underrated but, someone like link? link's recovery is pretty bad, if he made it back, its because you failed at edgegaurding. Snake CAN gimp mario often if his recovery is read,and its likely to be read since the way mario recovers is very predictable
Gimps are actually hard to do on anyone who has a basic understanding of DI and mixups, the former almost universally contributing massively to the latter. There's only a few specific matchups where gimps are easy, and most of the characters with horrible recoveries don't usually get gimped except in their top 2 or so worst matchups. If your recovery is anything better than horrible (about 95% of the cast), and you got gimped, you probably screwed up somewhere. More likely getting edgeguarded in general is for a straight kill or doing a lot of damage.

And Snake isn't gimping Mario unless you DIed poorly or completely failed to react to his F-air. His B-air edgeguarding is very good and can lead to kills or damage, but only if Mario is forced to recover low, which almost no character in this game except for like Bowser is required to do when DIing properly.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Bair is pretty insane, lol. Beats fireballs cleanly, beats all of our aerials, and it lingers forever. If our upB trades with it, the trade favors him pretty heavily.

You kinda have to treat it like a less versatile version of D3's bair offstage. I think Mario has options for it, but in addition to all of the other things Snake can use to maneuver us into a bad position (C4, Usmash, ledgehogging, etc), I'd call him formidable vs Mario offstage.

:phone:

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
This isn't one of the best games Sleek Media's ever played, and the ending particularly didn't show off his actual skills, AND it's a doubles match to boot so he played a little different. Just getting this out of the way so Sleek doesn't have to say it himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O97uKmYBAdE

That said, him and I played as Mario and Ike on a doubles team and almost took Seagull Man and MysteryTigerTeen, who went on to win the doubles tournament that featured the likes of Blue Rogue, Lain, Argent Stew, and M@v. Seagull being the 3rd ranked Wolf in the country and Tiger being the Marth/Metaknight player previously ranked on the NC boards for those of you who didn't know. If I hadn't made the mistake of QDing too late on my first death and too early on my second, Sleek's aggression could've carried us to victory, as he really kept the fight split into 2 1 on 1s most of the time, which is what I wanted for the fight.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
This isn't one of the best games Sleek Media's ever played, and the ending particularly didn't show off his actual skills, AND it's a doubles match to boot so he played a little different. Just getting this out of the way so Sleek doesn't have to say it himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O97uKmYBAdE

That said, him and I played as Mario and Ike on a doubles team and almost took Seagull Man and MysteryTigerTeen, who went on to win the doubles tournament that featured the likes of Blue Rogue, Lain, Argent Stew, and M@v. Seagull being the 3rd ranked Wolf in the country and Tiger being the Marth/Metaknight player previously ranked on the NC boards for those of you who didn't know. If I hadn't made the mistake of QDing too late on my first death and too early on my second, Sleek's aggression could've carried us to victory, as he really kept the fight split into 2 1 on 1s most of the time, which is what I wanted for the fight.
What is this? me & vato ask sleek to upload a singles match of his mario.
The :mario2: boards already seen this in the past.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Haha, thanks for the vote, but I really blew that big time at the end! I have to say though, our teamwork ruled in that match. We'll get em next time for sure! Tiger's always fun to play against. Ya know, I didn't know I had any matches up on Youtube. We have to record something proper next time I'm in town.

Edit: Man, watching that match really makes me look forward to the next doubles tournament. We have to team up again. You played your part perfectly in that one.

Bair is pretty insane, lol. Beats fireballs cleanly, beats all of our aerials, and it lingers forever. If our upB trades with it, the trade favors him pretty heavily.

You kinda have to treat it like a less versatile version of D3's bair offstage. I think Mario has options for it, but in addition to all of the other things Snake can use to maneuver us into a bad position (C4, Usmash, ledgehogging, etc), I'd call him formidable vs Mario offstage.

I still don't see why this is a significant threat. There are SO many better bairs we have to deal with. Snake's slow, laggy bair just doesn't scare me. It's very situational and difficult for him to use. I'd go as far as to say that he should fear our fair more.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
He SHOULD fear our fair more, imo. And yeah, his bair isn't some insurmountable threat, but it covers many of our options simutaneously.

If we ever have to recover low, it can cause problems.

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
What is this? me & vato ask sleek to upload a singles match of his mario.
The :mario2: boards already seen this in the past.
Well, I don't have any copies of a singles match for Sleek Media online, so I figured I'd at least show a match that he played that IS online to confirm he indeed showed up at a tournament.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
NE1 having trouble mastering Mario's setups, combos, mix-ups, approaching, throw combos, safe (true) block-strings etc?

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Double post/bump: Does anyone have tips regarding pivot grabbing (not run or boost grabbing, pivoting) OoS effectively? SSFS (tap control stick>tapping c-stick=simpler but not 100% guaranteed so I'd like to know if anyone figured out a way to execute this effectively by walking (tilting--any/all))?

Which button do you believe to be best for grabbing OoS? Don't only explain why but prove your claim(s). I'm considering shield>c-stick up. Thanks

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
There's a range increase, but it's not super huge. It's noticable tho.

It's like...the only way to grab Luigi out of nair sans powershield > grab. There's also the benefit of you being the one retreating while doing it, making it rather safe.

Top Bottom