• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking Mario: Execution

Omari

Smash Journeyman
[COLLAPSE="aYo"]Have you ever played an opponent (mostly in tourney) & whiffed a move that you know you shouldn't have? Yes, this happens to me much (especially in tourney).

This will be an active thread covering how to maximize your execution no matter the circumstance (excluding wifi). This thread will be updated as much as possible with any helpful info not only from myself, but the smash community as well.

Sadly, I don't wifi anymore due to delays. Personally, I don't like having to mash inputs in order to get one action out of my character. Although you're not limited to playing a certain number of people (constant improvement worldwide), I believe it creates habits which may be your downfall especially before entering tourneys.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Thread's purposes..to?"]1. Maximize execution
2. Improve control setups
3. Understanding why certain moves/followups work@any given percent
4. Ask/answer any smasher willing to improve their execution game including mine
5. Update the OP with ideas from smashers for better understanding/organization (granted, no one's perfect but that's why I'm asking all smashers to help me out with the OP so we can make it the best experience for those yet to come)
6. Better decision making come tourney time

etc..[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Don't start no -ish, won't be no -ish!"]All smashers are welcome to post here with questions/answers/suggestions beneficial to all etc regarding smash.

*Please don't start drama as my Matador (I call em Med) already has enough to deal with (virtually).. I'm asking that everyone not only respects me, each other but all of our current mods.[/COLLAPSE]

*Forget Bread N' Butta, I'm tryna get dat Meat n Potato combs goin knahmean?

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, to start off let's discuss how you feel/think@the beginning of a match? K let's empathize a little, shall we?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Thanks, to start off let's discuss how you feel/think@the beginning of a match? K let's empathize a little, shall we?
Well, when i start off a match against someone new,
i personally wanna get to learn my opponent(s) habits &
how often he/she uses it's "Trademark" move During gameplay.

Like snake players for starters. Most like to camp throwing nades, as a mario,
it gives me an golden opportunity to go in for a "fludd k.o.?"
(if they close by the ledge) which can cancel his midair jump & be force to up-b
Also knocks snake out of his "Camping Position"

↑ All i can come up with. xD

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
At the beginning of a match, my goal is to autopilot perfectly. Meaning, I must space all my aerials perfectly, and basically play as safe as possible but keeping on the pressure at the same time. I think I tend to bait a lot using empty hops to see how they would react.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@C-dub (Coolwhip): NP bruh, there's no limit to how much you talk about. I want you all to say what's on your mind atm & if you forget something, "dun wur bout it". What you said was pretty good too. Personally, I constantly question myself throughout the match regarding what said (reading/thinking/reading/reacting/thinking/thinking/reading/......pretty much..........o hard reads!!).

@:Jux (JuxtaposeX): Never auto-pilot bruh because you'll start throw out random attacks that really don't need to be (all you'll be concerned with is your spacing over other imperative factors).

Generally you'd want to space your attacks (regardless what they are). Why? This lessens their punish options. It's not only frame data that matters, it's your opponent's spacing, baiting etc..

A chill guy once told me (his advice), "hit them before they hit you" which seemed very vague to me at time but eventually (with enough experience) made sense. You'll all know (several probably already do) what this really means soon enough.

Even though you're limited (you can't perform ground actions) when you're airborne, you're not completely limited in a sense because there's no action being done so kudos to you. Baiting/conditioning is a key when killing with Mario (or any char for that matter).

@T (Kanzaki AKA SupaTony): I love that you start by charging F.L.U.D.D., several smashers may think Mario's free while he's charging F.L.U.D.D. but he can react with anything out of shield.

I'd suggest charging F.L.U.D.D. away since it opens up more options at your disposal (b-air, u-air & u-smash are most beneficial to you) being that you're already positioned near the ledge at most stages.

@M boards: I respect everyone's input but I honestly meant how do you feel in terms of........actual feelings & not no much what you should/shouldn't/could be/wouldn't be etc be doing in the game. Put it like this..

Are you thinking about whether you winning/losing/not losing/smasher's reactions etc or are you thinking about doing your best/playing to win at any all costs (excluding using Mario /:troll:/experimenting/doing what works/not being afraid of getting hit etc?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
At the beginning of a match I like to zone in and out of my opponent, throwing out hitboxes for them to deal, but not necessarily try to hit. This consists of moves with low ending lag or AC'd aerials. See how the react to it, remember the situation, when I can recreate I'll react to his movement and punish.

Learn the basics of every character and your options against it. Learn to (idk how good mario is at this) limit opponents options. Practice punishing landings, frametraps, ledgetraps, etc.

Usually when I punish my opponent for something, whether it be reaction or a read, I don't expect them to do the same action against unless it was a pattern, and I follow/continue my string on the next logical option for them to choose or whatever I can do that covers the most options. For instance when your opponent is on the ledge, just shield and wait to see their reaction, it's not like they can grab from the ledge. Next time they are on the ledge you have a thought of how they will get up.

I have more to talk about but I have practice in a few.

We out.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Hmmm Im a weird guy whenever I see platforms its just input in my brain to cape dash/ glide So if there are platforms I usually do that and just do stuff to see how they react.. Like throw fireballs, Fludd them Try to get some reads in and punish them
whenever I can. I can't really explain, Im just playing. I know this is bad :(. I try not to think about it a lot.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I fill as if my reactions suck and if thats not the case then player just catch on to my bad habits and shut me down pretty bad.

At first(sometimes) I seem to be kinda winning on first stock but once they catch on to my style they blow me away. I dont now how to change my strategies effectivly.

But thats how I feel.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna try a different route. Trust me, we're gonna get to the good stuff (especially my meat n potato combos & believe me, there's much to learn) but for now I wanna start small.. then build cumulatively.

When I say, "how do you feel at the beginning of match"? I mean in reality? I'm not sure I explained it correctly before so that's ma fault. In turn, I'll start off explaining what my thoughts are during tourney. Whenever I'm gonna play someone at a tourney, I naturally get stressed. Now, it's not like I don't know how to deal with stress in general, that's not the issue. My problem used to be (& sometimes still is) thinking too much.

Several of you may be thinking, "What? That doesn't make any sense, what the hell is this kid talking about"?

I'm gonna give you my side of the story & want you guys to empathize:

Recently, there was a smash-fest @ Vinnie's house & there was $1 (yo, $1 goes a long way son.. I'm srs :glare:) crew battle (shout-outs2Vinnie btw4hosting an awesome event.. please host more in the future). long story short I had to face Will during the last few stocks. Now personally? I'd love to believe I'm good @ anything I do (especially the ish I like/love).. When someone said, "show him who the real KirinBlaze is!!......" that's where the mind **** into play.

1. Personally, I don't like comparing myself to other smashers (especially those who main the same/similar characters that I do) to prevent unnecessary drama from starting. Granted, **** talk is fun in all but still.. I don't like doing it because then I feel obligated to do something way better than the last guy did it. Ye, I understand it's competitive for a reason but I like playing because I want to........not because I need/have to (which I don't have to do ****).

2. Me thinking about entertaining the audience shifted my initial goals. xD, all I could think about was how I could get the crowd to say "ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOoooo" & idk some other random funny **** about ma Mario. Result? 3stock. Now I know I'm not bad @ this game but damn.. after that match I pretty much felt like **** not only because I didn't take as much stocks as possible. Mainly because I didn't play how I usually play, light (I press/hold/tap buttons lightly, like uh..it really doesn't take that much energy to tap/press a button))/calm/relaxed/smooth/patient.. etc

3. Honestly guys, whenever I play someone in tourney I feel as if I should usually win (excluding me using Mario rofl.....) which is entirely wrong. Setting expectations for myself is what I'm getting at. More I think about what the outcome is versus what the input is.. I'm more than likely gonna fail the task(s) mentally before it even started.

4. Regardless of skill level, I respect all you guys although there may be some thing I don't agree with/other way around. Being that I was once in you're shoes (or prob will be eventually), I know what it feels like to put pressure on/be pressured yourself in the smash community.

My point: Recently, I found what helps me perform better is by transforming my stress (which can be severe like nervousness) into excitement. I love to think that I'm excited about discovering something new (whether it be about a stage, character, player, an item? [lol], hack etc.. doesn't matter).

I'll end with a simple list of things to do regarding relieving stress:
1. Sleep
2. Exercise
3. Eat
4. Write
5. Talk
6. Spoil yourself (make yourself seem like da sheet) eh.. but not too much though
7. Schedules (time management)
8. Keep it simple, stupid (don't over complicate things than what they actually are)
9. Laugh
10. ****
I wanna see who can figure this 1 out lmao!!
11. Fun hobbies (for me it's much but mostly going into training mode/studying frame date/training my CPU which btw is completely unfair [only advantage CPU has over humans is that it reads inputs..gay.......])

etc.. hope you enjoyed the read

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I tried my best to read that, I really did. Then my eyes became discombobulated and I was unable to focus, so I turned my attention to something else and then came back to write this comment.

You forgot to include a tl;dr.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
rofl, I did write an essay. I'm not sure what tl;dr stands for. From other smashers, I figured it means shorter version.

eh, I'll keep it simple/better organize in the future.. I just wanted everyone to be on the same page Xero. Cleaned it up better..

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
tl;dr means "too long; didn't read", it's a simplified version for people who aren't going to read the whole thing.

It still needs one. ;) I'm sure it's a good read, just not something I'm up for at the moment.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Xero.

tl;dr

Turning my nervousness into excitement works for me when playing at tournaments I discovered recently. It's natural to get nervous especially when you don't want to lose. My suggestion is to have no expectations (as they may alter your performance) because you'll start thinking about the outcome rather than focusing on the inputs.

It helps me to constantly question myself/my opponent throughout the entire MU. Think of it as "real time critique".

How do you guys feel in reality when playing at tourneys (tourney sets, money matches, etc)? (Not so much what you're doing with your character against theirs at the start of a match.)

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
i take long showers to relieve stress,eat right for the nat. energy,play games that get you thinking like tetris,reflex test on the ipod touch,brain games on the DS,drink lots of water,and ginko biloba pill for the increase in focus,concetration,and more oxygen flow to the brain. but thats just me im pulling out all the tricks im done holding back im going all out hope to see you again Omari.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this is what I was shooting for.

I'm gonna move onto inputs/buffering now but feel free to discuss what steps you all take to change your mood before tourney (could be day before, day of, just before singles/dubz..etc).

For me, it's turning nervousness into excitement.

I'm gonna move on to discussing inputs/buffering. Personally, I believe playing certain characters helps you improves skill in certain areas.

[COLLAPSE="What certain characters teach you"]King DeDeDe (example): Buffering/timing mastery. Why? D3 gets more guaranteed damage when timed correctly. How? For starters, practice his infinite on characters that he's able to (Mario, DK etc...).

Important part is tapping (not pressing or holding) grab either when you notice D3's *** hits the ground or just after you see the "cloud" come out. Please make sure you actually grab 1st before adding a directional input.

Overtime, certain outcomes you'll noticed why such or such happened.. for example your shield shows after a d-throw=you pressed/held grab.. another example your character doesn't grab (or you accidentally crouch....)=you tapped grab too early

Marth (example): Spacing mastery. Why? Marth's spaced attacks are more beneficial to you. How? Space or "tipper" most (if not all) of everything you throw out.

Pikachu (example): followup mastery (I call em "throw confirms"). There may be several chars that you can't CG/infinite but at the same time are guaranteed another hit. How? Mario has a bunch of "throw confirms" on most of the roster like the space animals/Pokemon.

Exmaple: f-throw>ssfs (tapping your control stick/c-stick opposite way works best due the buffer after release)[/COLLAPSE]

"What does this have to do with learning new followups/advancing Mario's meta-game"? We're basically implementing what we've learned not only from each other, but other characters as well.

Example: spaced u-air (learned from Marth)>u-tilt>buffered jab (learned from D3)>grab>fh u-air (learned from Pikachu) or anything (that's like a good 28+% from the start).. pretty good damage if ya ask me

Some questions for the nest couple of posts:
1. How do you feel about other characters?
2. What do you feel they teach you?
3. Anyone have some tips (detailed) how to improve our execution?
4. Did you guys know that n-air>u-tilt.buffered jab is an actual combo on Cap. Fal at low percent?

@Thanks Iblis, mad respect for Fox mains coming out showing support.

@Exdia: You keep coming2tourneys&you'll def see me again bruh.. Mario Bros. errday, all day.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Honestly SKidd (regardless if you were being sarcastic or not), I can't answer that.
You forgot to replace the period with a question mark. Na jk..
/:troll:

I finally noticed what I did wrong (fell off topic) with this thread (& I apologize for it but it is at same time a learning process).

After I comeback from Vinnie's tourney today, I'll create another "Breaking Mario" thread while steering this thread's current topic (execution) back on track. Once again I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I actually like to start a match with a new opponent by just letting em wail on me. Sure, I'll toss out some fireballs and jabs to manage the pressure, but I mostly just want to get an advantage by learning how they play without having to worry about getting outplayed and fall too far behind in %.

The unwinnable matchups are an exception. For those, I'll just play for the lulz, since it's hopeless unless the opponent is absolutely horrible.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I like to box all of my marines and marauders (and sometimes medivacs) and right A+click their base. If that doesn't work then the other guy is obviously cheating because Terran can't lose games.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
If I'm playing against a Zerg, I know he will probably 9 pool me, so I spend all of my money at the start to build extra SCVs and bunkers to fight off the early zerglings. I can set the SCVs to auto-repair and they will repair each other in the bunkers. When an SCV is at full HP, I send it back out to fight and I went a hurt SCV back inside to get repaired. It's pretty difficult to do, but it works 50% of the time. I just wish the Bunkers could Lift-off like command centers, that way zerglings can't hurt me anymore.

If they don't 9pool me, then I just like to box all of my marines and marauders and A + click their base and kill everything.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I like to train myself in Brawl by challenging my opponents to 30 games of rock paper scissors, it helps me familiarize myself with them and it improves my mindgames and read games.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
No offense guys I don't get the last couple of posts. I'm not sure if someone is :troll:n or if it's an inside joke, but I don't get it.

Going forward, if you guys have any questions about any moves to do (what/when/how/why etc) lemme know. Thanks

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but you're right.

Generally, walking>running but like any other game the difficult part is knowing "when" (transition) to do a specific action at "what" time (similar).

*Even though I find it imperative to explain "why", I'll do my best to keep this post short.

From my exp, I'll be happy to list times where you should walk/run in brawl.

Walk:
1. Approaching (infinite options)
2. Enemy is lying on ground/trips/misses tech (face up/down) (positioning)
3. On platforms (extra options including "drop" which adds even more options)
4. Zoning/Baiting/Spacing (you're able to observe at least risk as possible)

Dash/Run:
1. Keeping pressure (when enemy's recovering/near ledges/on ledges/platforms) basically anything that limits them
2. Retreating (stalling/maintaining leads/timing out)
3. When punishing (when you see an action performed that you know isn't safe)
4. Cape gliding - 99:mario:s (momentum? just slap em' when they're parallel..)

*Feel free to add/talk about why you feel should/shouldn't do "x" move regarding "y", thanks

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've been doing it more recently and it's pretty amazing at short distances.
Been also using dsmash a lot less.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
It's not that you should d-smash less or shouldn't use it at all. Problem is that d-smash doesn't have too many uses to work with/worth the risk so I'd suggest using it only when it benefits you most. I'd recommend using d-smash strictly for racking damage (not covering options as u-smash is by far superior).

Generally, you'd wanna have several (at least two) kill options (f-smash, u-smash (keep as fresh as possible...if/when possible), b-air, b-throw, staled u-airs (they're ****ing win) & that's about it for Mario). ...f-air is *** but somewhat useful.

Several guaranteed setups/ways to land d-smash (yes, they're combos):
1. d-air>d-smash (any %)
2. fire ball>d-smash (any %)
3. n-air>d-smash (low % character dependent) *Any attack with 5 frame start-up or less (attacks that hit on frame 6 or less) GRAB? 10Omaris..
4. b-air>d-smash (+3% /character dependent)
5. f-air (if they miss tech, you can charge d-smash to cover that option though)>d-smash (although I'd recommend forcing a standup (any, mostly jab-locking)>f-smashing or f-airing (yes, again)>bait for kill (recommended: u-smash, b-air, b-throw)

ThatGuy

Smash Master
@:Jux (JuxtaposeX): Never auto-pilot bruh because you'll start throw out random attacks that really don't need to be (all you'll be concerned with is your spacing over other imperative factors).
Hi.

I just want to clear up a couple things:

1) Auto-piloting =/= throwing out random attacks. In fact, it's the complete opposite. It's shutting out your mind from thinking about what you are doing, and engaging in a straightforward method of playing based on your matchup experience, your opponent familiarity, and your playstyle.

As an example, think of walking. You just do it. You don't think 'put one foot in front of the other', and 'breath in, breath out', and all those other instinctual factors, because you would just shut everything else out.

JustaposeX said:
At the beginning of a match, my goal is to autopilot perfectly. Meaning, I must space all my aerials perfectly, and basically play as safe as possible but keeping on the pressure at the same time. I think I tend to bait a lot using empty hops to see how they would react.
Literally playing like this is not auto-pilot. However, it is desirable to play like this while auto-piloting. I don't know if that's what he meant.

2) There are some situations where auto-pilot is actually beneficial (tournament-wise). One is conservation of mental energy. This is important for tournaments when playing friendlies that just don't really matter. Two is for consistency, especially when your auto-piloting alone is able to defeat an opponent. This is fantastic because auto-pilot is very consistent in nature, thus you don't really have to try very hard to beat your opponent. Ultimately, you will be forcing them to have to take risks which may make matches more lopsided in your favor than usual. And three, it is not as susceptible to momentum shifts and mood swings as if you were thinking all the time. Look at Poongko's run in SF4 as an example of why getting out of auto-pilot can sometimes be a bad thing.

When should you not auto-pilot?
-When the other opponent outclasses you, especially when they are able to auto-pilot their way to beating you.
-When you're playing friendlies outside of tournaments, where you're trying to learn something new. Auto-piloting will not make you a better player!
-When the opponent has figured out a dent in your strategy, and has begun to punish it. This is the exact time that auto-pilot should be switched off and you mix up that aspect in your strategy. You can then turn it back on.

Analogy: you're sailing across the water, and the opponent is poking holes into your ship's hull. You need to plug them up. If they poke too many holes, you'll be in a big jam because you're sinking fast. Keep plugging the holes and you'll make it across safely.

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention that playing against people worse than you all the time will put you in auto-pilot more often than not. It's a very bad habit and hard to break after while.

tl;dr

**** you, read my post.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Several guaranteed setups/ways to land d-smash (yes, they're combos):
1. d-air>d-smash (any %)
2. fire ball>d-smash (any %)
3. n-air>d-smash (low % character dependent) *Any attack with 5 frame start-up or less (attacks that hit on frame 6 or less) GRAB? 10Omaris..
4. b-air>d-smash (+3% /character dependent)
5. f-air (if they miss tech, you can charge d-smash to cover that option though)>d-smash (although I'd recommend forcing a standup (any, mostly jab-locking)>f-smashing or f-airing (yes, again)>bait for kill (recommended: u-smash, b-air, b-throw)[/FONT]
D-air D-smash is nice but character dependant. It's obnoxiously hard to land on certain characters. For example I find it incredibly difficult to D-air -> D-smash Marth. Most of the heavy characters are much easier to pull that combo on.

Fireball D-smash is waaaay too hard to pull off practically unless you manage to juggle someone with a fireball first or if they spotdodge and get hit by the fireball late. Stick to F-smash, F-tilt, or Jabs. D-smash just kinda doesn't have the range+speed to cut in after a fireball, or grab if they shield.

Aerial -> D-smash is okay, except grabbing/U-tilt is often better when you're in that situation. Keep in mind there is a percent range where Mario's aerials combo into F-smash. It's not too hard to string a F-smash after a U-air juggle sometimes on floatier characters for instance.

There's also certain moves you can block for free D-smash punishes. Depending on how stale Snake's F-tilt is and how close you are to him, you can for instance D-smash him after F-tilt2. You can D-smash Marth and Metaknight in between repeated D-tilts. Shielding a ledge attack and D-smashing is also pretty good, although keep in mind there's a number of ledge attacks you can also F-smash out of shield.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@ThatGuy: Hi, there's a misunderstanding. My suggestion to Jux was to think actively (I call it active thinking). Maybe my terminology wasn't on point at the time but that's what I meant.

[COLLAPSE="Points I agree with you on:"]1. You're right, auto-pilot doesn't mean sticking out random attacks (especially if you're new & you'd like to see what does/doesn't work against x character)

2. Playing persons worse than you won't help you improve, I agree. At the same time, not helping them improve won't help you/them either (although it's mostly dependent on their will to improve) but you do see my point.

*You should play persons better than you if you wish to improve (my opinion) & ask questions if you're unsure (my suggestion).
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Questions I believe we'll will benefit from:"]1. Instead of explaining what you believe we shouldn't do, I find it even more helpful to explain what we should be doing too (helps develop good habits). What do you believe we should be doing before tournaments/after?

2. What does auto-pilot mean in your own words? Unless this (It's shutting out your mind from thinking about what you are doing, and engaging in a straightforward method of playing based on your match-up experience, your opponent familiarity, and your play-style.) is it, I'd like to hear it again.

4. May you list more times when you should auto-pilot?
(So far I came up with..:
1. Conserving mental energy (meaning?) What comes to my mind when I read your statement is preventing headaches from occurring regarding thinking too much (although I could be wrong).
2. Consistency meaning execution? or Do mean being able to play unconditionally?
3. Playing persons worse than you
4. Preventing mood swings? (Personal/priority issue here so I don't see your point exactly, feel free to explain, thanks.) ...etc...)

5. I'm understanding what you're getting at, but don't you think you're contradicting yourself in a sense (regarding tuning in/out of auto-pilot)?[/COLLAPSE]

Thanks.

@A2ZOMG: Yes, I'm aware that d-air>d-smash is character dependent (forgot to add parenthesis) but thanks.

**** :marth: You can't even do the Omari combo on Marth. complete bull****..
I<3Marth tho, thanks Kadaj!!

D-smash becomes guaranteed (especially near (pressures enemy onto ledge=tight spot 2B@)/at ledges (fire ball hits opponent up into d-smash if you read them))

[COLLAPSE="Questions:"]1. How can you say d-smash doesn't have the speed f-tilt has when d-smash hits on the exact same frame (5) as f-tilt (all Mario's tilts for that matter) does?
2. How can you say d-smash doesn't have the range jab has when you're constantly debating that jab & d-smash has the same range?

*I'm not trolling but I'd like to hear this...explain?

3. Can you prove Mario can punish with d-smash while MK/Marth are d-tilting repeatedly?

*I'm going to look at both those character's frame data (in terms of their frame advantage/disadvantage & our shield drop+d-smash) during my spare time.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="I agree that:"]U-tilt should be you're primary anti-air being that you'd wanna keep u-smash (even though it's mad ****ing good) fresh until necessary (killing).[/COLLAPSE]

B-air is by far the best air to combo into f-smash. Ask/I'll explain.

Thanks.

Top Bottom