• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking Down Top Lucarios: Lee Martin

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
IN THIS THREAD WE BREAK DOWN TOP LUCARIOS MOVE USAGE AND MAYBE OTHER STUFF BUT PROBABLY NOT BECAUSE I'M BAD AT NOTICING THINGS.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR DATA UP JUST TELL ME AND I'LL MOVE IT TO THE BACKROOM.

[help would be appreciated holy **** this was more time consuming then I thought it would be]

I decided to start with a retired lucario to get myself started [and no potential backdraft, probably.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktyt0_6BhcM&feature=channel_page

Azen [08-09 Videos... learn from the past my friends.]

Misc Notes:
None atm, Help me out here guys! I only have verrry basic pattern recognition =(

Lee Martin [Recent. our current topcario]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YZGmqfOOo4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmAwdKNfHg&feature=related

133 moves used total
notes:
Follows up dtilt with dash attack at low %s
Spaces in front of him with fsmash.
baits out the reflector with a big ol FCAS charge.
throws BAS on falco offstage

Match 2 coming soon, will do 3 on a later date because I want to move on to Ksizzle and Lee sooner or later.

or I might do 3 today too, maybe. depends.

Do you mean deconstructing a player's game by videos and things? That'd be a good way to improve the community and provide insight on certain habits we should look out for, positive or not.

I like it, let's go go go.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
You should try to break down Lee Martin or Azen.

Butttttt you should ask first before you do it.

If Lee decided to do a namesearch though, it'd save you a lot of trouble.

Browny

Smash Hater
hurrr durrr apply that argument to nr1ddle, now what?

it worked because he was azen and he made people get hit by it :)

iRJi

Smash Champion
Why Azen? The metagame has evolved quite a bit since Azen's time. When Azen was playing, he was spamming fsmash because people didn't know how to powershield yet.
Still would not hurt to take a look at it at least. You can use that data to see the change of the before and now. Would be a neat thing to look at if anything.

culexus・wau

It was Azen's latest vids [and pretty much last ones too].

I'm planning on doing Lee next after I do Azen's 3rd on Smashville.

Now to do his match VS Rain or Lain... [lol they rhyme...]

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Neat idea. I can see its advantages but is it pratical? I think this will be useful if we can get a line of best fit graph going.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I agree breaking down Lee's moves and quantifying would be better imo since I personally think he plays more on Lucario's moveset and less of other aspects like mentality, and is also willing to use a more unorthodox pool (like dtilt, yum)

culexus・wau

I've been busy haha.

cleaning up my room + smashfest + other important stuff.

I'm free today though so I'm off to do RAIN VS LEE

I think there needs to be more info and discussion on why the player in question uses a particular move in a situation, not just the number of particular moves used. We need to be more intune with the players and their mental process. Why did they use jab here? Why did they fair here? And so on. Just listing the amounts of times move a was used or move b was not used promotes overuse of those moves, rather than intelligent placement within a situation.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Actually, asking them would just varying answers. By having this, you can actually just get the just of why he is using it. We always ask, instead of actually trying to analyze it for ourselves. That in it's self is a problem.

-Ran

Smash Master
Speaking from experience [since I did this for Ally], the player that takes the time to do this is going to reap all of the rewards if he does it properly. With every move that I watched Ally do, I would inspect the location on the map that it was done, what his opponent's options were, and so on. I used it to create a guide of moves I should do in situations, but watched it to the point where it was akin to me playing the matches.

culexus・wau

I'll try that then Mr. Ran.

I didn't excatly inspect the position on stage.

but I did check options-wise during my pauses.

I'm terrible at writing cohesive notes based on what I watch though T_T

culexus・wau

I should be counting roll.

Oh god this is going to add at least 30 minutes I'm calling it.

culexus・wau

So.

I'm going to do another of these today or tommorrow.

is there any recent vids of june? if not I'm going to do ksizzle anyway or another Lee Vid probs.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can't really describe what Lee does when he plays. You gotta play him yourself to understand it thorough. I will say that he's very good at baiting people into over committing. Once you stop falling for the bait, the real match begins and Lucario himself is thrown out the video and replaced with the player.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Im saying that Lee is so good, it's hard to visually try and identify why his actions work. Like, really hard compared to most players.

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
Nice idea.

I still think Azen's videos are worth having a look at since he did pioneer Lucario after all and it gives us readers an insight as to what Lucarios still do and no longer do.

Y'know perhaps its player preference but Azen F-Airs a heck of a lot more than Lee while both use D-Air the same number of times.

So yeah, Azen probably wouldn't be the best example but still worth looking at.

Just my opinion though. :/

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
In some of Lee Martin's newest video he appears to be able to cancel the Up special to attack out of it and sometimes even use an extra up special. How does he do it?
That's applicable in modified/hacked versions of Brawl (like Brawl+).

Can't exactly do that in vBrawl.

Top Bottom