• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Q&A and Help Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do fresh selchar. files freeze even when unedited? You may want to try the common5.pac again.
I'd more recommend that you just use sc_selcharacter.pac by itself. That file has a higher priority level than common5.pac anyway, and doesn't require you to restart your game every time.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
Ok, yeah. I tried to use a fresh one. It froze my game. So the problem is no longer Brawlbox. What the shell happened?

EDIT: Yet the one I was using from before is still working. WTF?

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
Well, I originally posted this on the stage hacking thread since it involves help as well, but I suppose it would make more sense to have it in the brawlbox help as well, since it's directly involved with my problem XD.
I'm just curious if there's a specific bone I have to modify if I'm planning to change the rotation of a model. I'm using the 3 layered background version of the 2d stage base and I'm trying to rotate one of the layers in order to make visable ground. I modified the X rotation of TopN2 and it shows up perfectly in BrawlBox, however when I load the actual stage it isn't rotated at all. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated XD.
Edit with more info: The transparent portions on brawlbox are also showing up all red now around the piece I'm attempting to rotate, though Idk what that means or why it's happening.

SAkai

Smash Cadet
Yep very possible. Look it up under sc_selcharacter2 or sc_selmap not sure which one!
I don't use a Common5.pac
i use a Sc character and a selmap in menu2
And i do not know wich one i have to change .

joshl94

Smash Apprentice
ok so i'm making a really cheap marth psa with an extremely long sword and outrageous knockback.(theres gonna be other stuff)
well anyway in brawl box i made the sword longer but when ever i change stuff in brawl box with any character the run gets messed up.This is no exception.
When i run marth studders while he runs.
Does anybody know what i'm talking about and can anyone help me?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Thanks. I'll be doing that. Although is there a way to preview your spawn points without testing the stage in game? I don't mind doing so but I seldom get the chance to use both the computer and the wii at the same time.

FairKnight

Smash Journeyman
How do you hex? And where can I find a hex program? and Once I have it how do I use the hex program with brawl to hex models etc. (I know im a noob)

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Thanks. I'll be doing that. Although is there a way to preview your spawn points without testing the stage in game? I don't mind doing so but I seldom get the chance to use both the computer and the wii at the same time.
Are just editing spawn points or making new ones for a custom stage? If you have multiple models, you can move one's position around in BrawlBox until it reaches the point you want it at(you can view every model together when viewing the stage collision, which is how I preview my stages), then you change the stage position's bone that you are editing to match. Just continue to do so for the rest of the points and return the test model back where it originally was.

@FairKnight: There are many different hex editors out there. One that is commonly suggested is Hex Workshop(just Google). This is the wrong thread to ask how to hex a model(or rather, it would be correct, but we have another thread for it). Go to the subforum Customized Content and, on the first page of the thread on mdl0 files, there should be a guide to hexing a model. Remember, it only works for other mdl0 files.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Well, I don't know how the brawlbox collision editor shows spawn points, but I'm probably missing something obvious. Or do you mean the model viewer?

I want to edit the spawn points on Razanak's Rob rocket stage.

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
Well, I don't know how the brawlbox collision editor shows spawn points, but I'm probably missing something obvious. Or do you mean the model viewer?

I want to edit the spawn points on Razanak's Rob rocket stage.
Use the collision editor and view only the bones of your spawn points, the ones I mentioned above. That way you can see their locations in terms of your collision data.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Is there a way to change how a model uses textures? I have two identical models, but I want one to read different textures than the other, as an example.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I'm at a loss. I have no clue how to move bones in the collision editor. x_x I really need help w/ this.

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to change how a model uses textures? I have two identical models, but I want one to read different textures than the other, as an example.
There's a folder for textures when you expand the model in brawl box. Just change the names listed here to those of whichever textures in the pac you want to use.
I'm at a loss. I have no clue how to move bones in the collision editor. x_x I really need help w/ this.
Choose a bone and open up the right side bar in the model editor. The translation values are visable and editable here (yes you have to edit the values, I don't believe you can click and drag but someone will correct me if I'm wrong).
EDIT after looking closer at question: I don't believe bones can be edited through the collision editor. You have to edit the model of the bones first, then go back to the collision editor after you've made the desired changes.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
You can't. Just use the collision editor as a reference for where you want your bones, then you'll have to guess and check again. Eventually you'll get it right.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Dang. Okay, I'll give it a shot.
Edit: Man, IDK if I can do this.

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
Well, I originally posted this on the stage hacking thread since it involves help as well, but I suppose it would make more sense to have it in the brawlbox help as well, since it's directly involved with my problem XD.
I'm just curious if there's a specific bone I have to modify if I'm planning to change the rotation of a model. I'm using the 3 layered background version of the 2d stage base and I'm trying to rotate one of the layers in order to make visable ground. I modified the X rotation of TopN2 and it shows up perfectly in BrawlBox, however when I load the actual stage it isn't rotated at all. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated XD.
Edit with more info: The transparent portions on brawlbox are also showing up all red now around the piece I'm attempting to rotate, though Idk what that means or why it's happening.
Anyone wanna take a guess at this one for me? Has anyone else tried this with the 3 layered background? Because I know BSZ did it with the basic 2d stage base.

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
What .pac am I supposed to edit in order to vertex hack Sonic?
FitSonic.pac or FitMotionSonic.pac?
I would assume FitSonic.pac since the vertex hacks are costume specific and the Motion pacs are shared amongst all of a character's costumes.

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
Just an alternative texture. I can't figure out what in the MLD0 decides how it applies textures, however.
Oh, I think I understand what you're saying now, but Idk how to change that. Maybe manipulate how you created the texture to work with the model?

Darkurai

Smash Master
In the Stage Collision Editor, is there anyway to add..."platforms", I'll call them?

I fail to see how previous hacks have been possible without this feature, yet I can't seem to find it.

If this feature is unavailable, could someone tell me how people have dealt with it previously?

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
In the Stage Collision Editor, is there anyway to add..."platforms", I'll call them?

I fail to see how previous hacks have been possible without this feature, yet I can't seem to find it.

If this feature is unavailable, could someone tell me how people have dealt with it previously?
"Platforms"? You mean like Battlefield style? You would just create a collision like normal, set it's type to floor and check the fall through setting.
Collisions are created by holding Alt then clicking and dragging on the collision editor.

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
I'm just wondering... what is the ItmMelee055Gen file in the wifi waiting room file and is it responsible for spawning the sandbag?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Okay so i got really bored and decided the swap everything from ness to giga bowser it somewhat worked the only problem is that ness has giga bowser's animations even though i replaced the motion file and named it FitGkoopaMorionEtc. any ideas or is it hard coded into the game?
Edit: and scaling doesn't seem to work in game
EDIT EDIT: Does anybody experience crashing when yo add more models via brawlbox?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
You can't do it normally. Go ask Mewtwo 2000 about it, he created a fix for that problem, though it is a bit hard to do properly.

Razanak7

Smash Ace
Okay so i got really bored and decided the swap everything from ness to giga bowser it somewhat worked the only problem is that ness has giga bowser's animations even though i replaced the motion file and named it FitGkoopaMorionEtc. any ideas or is it hard coded into the game?
Edit: and scaling doesn't seem to work in game
EDIT EDIT: Does anybody experience crashing when yo add more models via brawlbox?
Was that just a typo here, or what you called the file? Because if it's the second thing, then that's the problem. Otherwise... no idea. But I know it's not hard-coded, I've swapped Giga's animations before.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Is there a tutorial on how to make Hacked Stages with BrawlBox? I've been working with the Collision Editor, but what I'm doing isn't making actual results.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Was that just a typo here, or what you called the file? Because if it's the second thing, then that's the problem. Otherwise... no idea. But I know it's not hard-coded, I've swapped Giga's animations before.
That was actually a typo replying i did name it to FitGKoopaMotion.pac

Is there a tutorial on how to make Hacked Stages with BrawlBox? I've been working with the Collision Editor, but what I'm doing isn't making actual results.
Check the stage .h.a.c.k.ing hub i believe there's a tutorial there it's under the customized content section of the board

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm having trouble with making a new stage. I've got all of the models and stage collisions dones, but when I play it in game, it seems to substitute the stage textures and uses the other textures that appear in game. I need help to figure out what is wrong. Here is DL just in case: http://www.mediafire.com/?ww1tmmyd3jy (ignore the spawn points BTW.)

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I'm having trouble with making a new stage. I've got all of the models and stage collisions dones, but when I play it in game, it seems to substitute the stage textures and uses the other textures that appear in game. I need help to figure out what is wrong. Here is DL just in case: http://www.mediafire.com/?ww1tmmyd3jy (ignore the spawn points BTW.
Nice stage i'm taking a look at it right now i'll post back if i find out what the problem is
EDIT: palettes GrdbigblueRBody2, GrdbigblueAsiba2, GrdbigblueMalkn,GrdbigblueAsiba3, GrdbigblueBuild11 have bad palettes might fix your problem

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
So I downloaded BrawlBox, and everything is completely empty. How do I create brstms and textures from this?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
So I downloaded BrawlBox, and everything is completely empty. How do I create brstms and textures from this?
to make brstms goto file -> new ->
brstm good guide to making brstms
Go here for character textures
when you find the character you want to edit download the .pac inside should be a .brres called texture data find a picture and right-click and hit export edit it to your hearts desire and then right-click import the texture

Top Bottom