• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl, or Melee 2.0?

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Brawl is Brawl and Melee is Melee.These are two different games that have different gameplay characteristic.Please don't make threads like this,there has been many, this game is NOT Melee okay, it's Brawl.
*Sarcastic* Too...much logic... Brain.. EXPLODING!

Yes, I KNOW Brawl and Melee are two different games. That is the whole POINT of this thread. And if a mod wants to tell me not to post a thread like this I wont. But coming from you, it really means nothing.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
It's more like this:

Subpar gameplay compared to melee, probably less depth, no l cancelling, no wavedash

OR

Near perfect gameplay

I'd rather have the second.
Golly! You sure know a lot about a game YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED YET.

Who's to say new techniques won't be discovered? And how can you say Melee is better? In my opinion, Melee pales in comparison to Brawl.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Golly! You sure know a lot about a game YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED YET.

Who's to say new techniques won't be discovered? And how can you say Melee is better? In my opinion, Melee pales in comparison to Brawl.
Glad there's people who agrees with me...

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
Well ofcourse I'd reather have brawl, because I can't do any of the advanced techniques, I trained myself to win without using them, and I have no use for any of them, and well many other things in brawl that melee did not have.

And I would just hate to buy a game that has only one new feature from games I have already played.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
It's more like this:

Subpar gameplay compared to melee, probably less depth, no l cancelling, no wavedash

OR

Near perfect gameplay

I'd rather have the second.
You don't have nearly enough information to make the claim for "subpar gameplay." I've always heard that the real depth in Melee comes from mindgames and such, not from advanced techniques. I've heard this from good players, from competitive players, from people who have actually performed well enough to earn my respect as elite Smashers. If you can't adapt to this and find new ways to play a new game, then you, not the game, are the problem.

We don't have wavedashing and we don't have traditional L-Canceling (I thought someone said that overall lag had been reduced, though). We do, however, have several new characters to master and several old ones to REmaster. We've got huge amounts of gameplay on the disc, and even though online isn't exactly Halo-calibur, you can still play against anyone else with a Wii and an internet connection.

If that isn't depth, I don't know what is.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Fact is, melee was as near perfect a game as you can get, and Brawl removes so much from the gameplay..... *Sigh* I'll continue to play melee competitively. Maybe I'll be competitive in brawl as well, but probably I'll just play it casually and have my fun with it.

That's because you don't go to tournaments. In fact, you probably don't even play with advanced techniques.
Yeah. Because anyone who doesn't go to tournaments or play with advanced techniques couldn't POSSIBLY enjoy Melee for more than a few weeks, right? Yeah...

And you definitely don't have the grounds to claim that Brawl's gameplay is subpar to Melee. The game isn't even out here yet. If you'd rather stick with Melee, that's fine, but there's no need to bash Brawl just because it removes a couple of your precious advanced techs. It's not like new ones aren't going to be discovered anyway.

hunger!

Smash Champion
if melee 2.0 would have some newcomers and new stages then yes. if melee 2.0 would be brawl but with melee physics then yes. overall melee 2.0 but too bad thats not what we got.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
IS THIS A REAL QUESTION? Let me ask you a question... Are you going to buy Brawl. I bet you say yes which means you would rather have Brawl then a Melee 2.0 and plus Brawl is still so much more than Melee ever was...You have to agree with that. Despite the roster which many have stated "could of been better" or "dissappointing". I think we can all agree everything else is right on point to make this a great game. So please don't say you rather throw Brawl out the window just for a Melee 2.0 because we all know you are with out a doubt lying...

Andydark

Smash Journeyman
Bourbonnais IL||I consider myself competent. AIM:
And to top it all off, our favorite advanced techniques have been taken out.

All the gameplay mechanics would have been the same, and all the advanced techniques that we have grown dependent on would still exist.
Yay for broad generalizations.

I'm pretty small time, so thusly I didn't wavedash much, I was also Peach/Zelda/Jiggz whose wavedashing is a lot less useful than some.

So, I have a strange feeling, it'll feel like Brawl.

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
I just don't understand you people, he didn't make the game for competitive people he made it for new and casual, so please stop wishing for a Melee 2.0, whats the point? You got a whole new great game please just stop.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
This isn't Melee 2.0, this is Brawl 1.0.

You can't use Melee as a measuring stick because it's basically two different games on two different consoles, blah blah blah.

A Melee 2.0 to me would be like a special edition with exclusive stages and characters like in Clayfighters (lol at the face in the backround of that one stage), but not a new game entirely.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
However, I am still happy with Brawl.
IS THIS A REAL QUESTION? Let me ask you a question... Are you going to buy Brawl. I bet you say yes which means you would rather have Brawl then a Melee 2.0 and plus Brawl is still so much more than Melee ever was...You have to agree with that. Despite the roster which many have stated "could of been better" or "dissappointing". I think we can all agree everything else is right on point to make this a great game. So please don't say you rather throw Brawl out the window just for a Melee 2.0 because we all know you are with out a doubt lying...
Please, before you go off on an unintelligent rant, make sure you've read my enitre post. Thank you.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Ideally, I want a Brawl that isn't butchered so that noobies can have more fun than me... The answer to the OP's question depends on how Brawl turns out in the end. If it's a dumbed down game, then Melee 2.0 all the way. If it turns out being fine, then Brawl all the way.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I just don't understand you people, he didn't make the game for competitive people he made it for new and casual, so please stop wishing for a Melee 2.0, whats the point? You got a whole new great game please just stop.
That's the problem. He made it for the new and casual, but he hasn't left anything for the advanced. Newbies and casuals will love this great party game. Competative players are just really really hoping that there's more. Melee wasn't perfect because of advance techs, it was perfect because it satisfied both audiences. That way, if a casual player ever wanted to become competative he had that option, and vice versa. But so far it looks like the competative side was taken out altogether, and that only a better casual side remains. I really, really, hope that we can find some advance techs in the next year or so (at least one, to boost confidence at least), but other wise I think the competative smash community will just vanish.

I hope I'm wrong, but blind optimism that we will find new advance techs is pretty foolish. As soon as we get brawl we're going to try every single button combination on every attack, and we're going to use action replay, and any means neccesary to explore this game. And I pray that time won't be wasted.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
The point is that making a game with that mindset completely destroys its depth.

saberhof

Smash Master
lol so you want a complete new version that should start off competitively?...thats dumb, no game started as a competitive game or even as a deep game, just wait for all the new moves.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
melee 2 honestly way better... brawl will suck with no advanced techs... those were what made smash 64 and melee what they are

saberhof

Smash Master
melee 2 honestly way better... brawl will suck with no advanced techs... those were what made smash 64 and melee what they are
and how long did it take to discover all the tactics my man?...still melee and the first smash bros. are completely different...i hate all your whining...

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
Why would anyone pick Melee 2.0? The only thing it would offer is online, which would suck for competitive play anyway. Even if you hate Brawl to death, it still would make more sense to pick it, because we all already have Melee. dur dur dur

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Why would anyone pick Melee 2.0? The only thing it would offer is online, which would suck for competitive play anyway. Even if you hate Brawl to death, it still would make more sense to pick it, because we all already have Melee. dur dur dur
While I agree with you...on a small level..., the main reason some people would rather have a Melee 2.0 is because as of right now, Brawl is looking like a more "party" oriented game. As many have stated, the gap between competitive and casual has been severely shortened.

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem. He made it for the new and casual, but he hasn't left anything for the advanced. Newbies and casuals will love this great party game. Competative players are just really really hoping that there's more. Melee wasn't perfect because of advance techs, it was perfect because it satisfied both audiences. That way, if a casual player ever wanted to become competative he had that option, and vice versa. But so far it looks like the competative side was taken out altogether, and that only a better casual side remains. I really, really, hope that we can find some advance techs in the next year or so (at least one, to boost confidence at least), but other wise I think the competative smash community will just vanish.

I hope I'm wrong, but blind optimism that we will find new advance techs is pretty foolish. As soon as we get brawl we're going to try every single button combination on every attack, and we're going to use action replay, and any means neccesary to explore this game. And I pray that time won't be wasted.
No! IMO I think he created Brawl the way he did because of Melee. Every one was so advanced and getting pro-ish, that the casual player stood no chance against a pro. Thats just my thoughts.

saberhof

Smash Master
While I agree with you...on a small level..., the main reason some people would rather have a Melee 2.0 is because as of right now, Brawl is looking like a more "party" oriented game. As many have stated, the gap between competitive and casual has been severely shortened.
it doesnt have to be, everyone is just saying that cause all they see is free for all's and subspace videos with co-op

why must everyone decide the future of this game?. lets just figure out all the new stuff and let it fly and see what happens

Zodiac

Smash Master
Melee 2.5 for me. More characters more stages added to melee but with online capabilities. 2.0, I wont know until I paly brawl wich one I will favor the most.

eodeth

Smash Apprentice
i dont know what all of the fuss is about but a melee 2.0 would be pointless i mean i got tired of melee after 3 years then like 2 years later i went to play it and got bored again so i stopped playing but brawl seems like a good enough game to satisfy nearly everyone new moves, all the new features, alnd much more . Now most people are probably thinks omg this kid doesnt know how to use advanced techniques well i got this game when i was nine im 14 now but i never looked on the internet for this game other than unlockables but then i found out about new tchs and brawl was coming so i tried to play and become better but my game was broken to use an emu and play smash 64 [which doesnt have the techs] then again i found out that brawl doesnt either so i can just train from there so to finish i even think that a smash64 online with improved graphiics and the same movesets [especially marios ... he has no meteor smash in smash64] would be better than a melee 2.0 other than that, i do play smash 64 online[emulator] and its really fun so if there was a melee 2.0i wouldnt waste my money on it just a melee with online capabilities instead a game with tons of new stuff highly improved graphics, and much more

BRAWL FTW

melee 2.0

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
It's really to early to call, but if I had to choose right now, it would be Melee 2.0. Brawl, as it stands right now, doesn't the offer the amount of depth (fighting wise) that I'm looking for.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Melee 2.0, directed by Shigeru Miyamoto, with everyone returning + 20 newcomers. That'd be the better game, indefinitely. At least then the game wouldn't be a giant mute story! :laugh:

Adi

Smash Lord
Hmm, I would say the safer bet would be Melee 2.0 since we know it's good and wouldn't have to worry about it. The way Brawl's turning out so far I'm not too sure, I'm going to have to wait to reserve judgment.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Dont even talk of such things... if we got Melee 2.0 :urg:... we couldnt have gotten such amazing things as

- Teh Stage Builder!

- My music!!

- SSE

- Co-op events and adventure, among other things.

And We would not be able to play as (My personal favorites)

- Olimar (main, I always list him first :) )
-Lucario
-WW Link
-ROB!!
-Snake
-Wolf
-Wario-maaaaaan!!
- Dk with a model that actually looks like him!!
-Diddy
- Every other newcomer

Plus, we wouldnt have final smashes, or all the other incredible items. Final destination in Melee is not as fantastic as the brawl one.

How could anyone possibly prefer Melee 2.0? You'd lack all of the above!

Plus, Brawl is much more balanced it seems. Cant beat that.

Melee 2.0...pshh thank you Sakurai! For thinking of the fans!!
This is where this thread should have ended. Page 1.

Top Bottom