• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online: Pathetic. So let's do something about it.

Gonzoyo

Smash Cadet
Message(#6851-000671-4708\6714708)

Hello,

I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments with us in regard to Super Smash Bros Brawl. I will forward your e-mail on to the appropriate department for further review. While you won't be contacted further regarding this issue, please rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration.

Have fun!
Nintendo of America Inc.
Joel Nicholson
Standard canned response, obviously.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
64 Friends: While I personally do not even have 64 friends in my list yet, this is just another symptom of the root problem: lack of options due to infantilization. Since Nintendo forces any match against anyone to be done through the friend list, capping that limit at 64 makes no sense. An earlier poster talked about how he was compelled to not play someone because of the trouble of deleting/reinserting numbers. I will not get into it, suffice to say that there is no reason in terms of memory that you could not store a couple thousand numbers. This is a limitation. The online system does not provide choices. Many have posted saying that they enjoy the anonymous random matches with the 2 minute time limit (I don't know why, but I value all opinions. Whatever floats your boat.) If the game was designed with more choices, those modes could exist. I think the best method of rule choice is the method that has been used near universally on other games, the creator of a "room" chooses the rules, and players can select which room to enter. All of the different aspects of this game's (possible) online service: anonymity, match size, communication, rule set, etc, can be made to make everyone happy if they had options. That way players who enjoy jumping into a 4 player stock match anonymously can. That way players who want 1v1 2min matches on random levels with no items but pokeballs can play that. Players who want to surf for the perfect room full of advanced players can. Players who just want to click a button and go right to a match can. Options! They're good!
Options are stupid. Mostpeople are NOT gonna have more than 64 friends ad those who do have more than 64 friends, how often can they say that those friends are online around the same time as them.
Hell I have a 360 and I have around 32 friends half of which are rarely online or palying the same game as I
yes it may seem like they are treating customers as if they were children but regardless, it really would not make a difference. The true problem is the fact you cannot interact with those 64 people not because that you can only have 64.
yes its good to have options, provided those options actually make sense and are not overly useless.

Skoox

Smash Cadet
Nintendo doesn't care about us as long as people are still buying Wii's, and people are still buying Brawl. Since their service is free, they can make it as crappy as they want, and you can't do anything because you've already spent the money on the system/game. Not to defend Nintendo, because I'm fed up too, but it's the sad truth.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo doesn't care about us as long as people are still buying Wii's, and people are still buying Brawl. Since their service is free, they can make it as crappy as they want, and you can't do anything because you've already spent the money on the system/game. Not to defend Nintendo, because I'm fed up too, but it's the sad truth.
that's true, but we should at least. Nintendo has been tricking people ever since the gamecube launch and continues to with the wii and while they probably won't improve the quality of their systems or games any time soon, maybe, just maybe they will put some more work into the online play, knowing they can charge for it through pay-and-play.

heroicsonic

Smash Apprentice
Just think of it nintendo.

Let it be like xbox live, Okay for example.

There should be a HUGE UPDATE.

Every time you press the home botton, it comes up with a friend list and you can see what people are playing (They have to be online obiously)

Also random wifi should show some names.

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
SO many good points in this thread. I myself cannot stand the lack of voice chat and overall horrible quality of online. Even if its free, the freakin ps2 games have better online than this. Although lets say they did hear us out and they did finally realize their online sucks, how would they change it? Like through a REALLY long update or something? Because it seems like their decision has become set & stone.

Great Thoughts keep'em up.

Vshadow

Smash Rookie
Ya, I'm upset with the lag, as well. I had a friend call nintendo asking about the lag issues and they said they had a team working on the problem, but as far as friend battles go, they said the connection was direct between the players. At the moment it looks like all we can do is try to get the best connection we can and work with the lag untill nintendo is done doing what they are doing, however I'm not sure if their work will fix the friend code fights.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
There was so much that could be done to help wifi such as
  • A challenge option for friends
  • Random Stock Matches
  • 5 Minute Matches
  • Ability to record 5 mins and 10 secs worth of footage
  • More than 64 friends (I'm getting up to the limit, gonna have to nuke some)
  • Ability to vote someone out of a game (say they join and it lags the game to 2 fps)
  • MUST HAVE: Ability to request friends after a random game
  • Boss battles, Humans vs. Computers (4 vs 4), more minigames in general

So much more they could of added. I guess they wanted to leave some of the online goodness for the next in the smash brothers series ;)

maticMan94

Smash Cadet
Button delay is the only thing keeping me away from online.
You know honestly that's the one thing I want most for Brawl is just smooth online play. Sure some new features and all would be nice, but if they would just fix it so the game plays smooth online....I could live with the rest.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Great topic.

This needs to be a petition if it isn't one already. I have some friends that would gladly sign it (but only 64 sadly XD )

yoda55

Smash Cadet
I've been hearing alot of stuff saying mario Kart wii's online multiplayer is looking better than ssbbs online play. But I guess thats because its going to have up to 12 players in a race and its matchmaking.

sleepy180

Smash Rookie
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. And am i mad that they are realeasing mario kart wii so close. I dont have any hope for mario kart wii's online now after seeing brawl. These are their 2 greatest multiplayer games and they ones online is already screwed up. I dont see much hope in mario kart wii which is disapointing. These will probably be my last 2 wii games i buy. Really were the only reason i bought the wii. ohwell.

Weed

Smash Lord
ill gladly sign this petition

its disgusting to see how online has become a c-stick spamming noob orgy

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Then go to tournaments and stop wishing online would be better. online play is not the key to brawls entertainment.

Darkburst

Smash Cadet

B****y thread is b****y.

Seriously, people, can we just get over with how Wifi is? It doesn't look like it will change anytime soon, and all we can do right now is hope Nintendo improves its online next generation.

Furthermore, I've seen people treating voice chat and leaderboards like they're the best things ever to grace this earth, and Internet functionality is completely useless without them. Okay, mabye voice chat is capabler of being useful, but leaderboards? voice chat may be slightly overratted, but it pales with the reverence some people have for leaderboards.

If you want to complain about online, deract the real problems, like the s**t freind code system, or the difficulty of finding With Anyone matches, and even that is slowly improving.

Overall, despite all the flaws, I actualy managed to have some fun with online.

Weed

Smash Lord

B****y thread is b****y.

Seriously, people, can we just get over with how Wifi is? It doesn't look like it will change anytime soon, and all we can do right now is hope Nintendo improves its online next generation.

Furthermore, I've seen people treating voice chat and leaderboards like they're the best things ever to grace this earth, and Internet functionality is completely useless without them. Okay, mabye voice chat is capabler of being useful, but leaderboards? voice chat may be slightly overratted, but it pales with the reverence some people have for leaderboards.

If you want to complain about online, deract the real problems, like the s**t freind code system, or the difficulty of finding With Anyone matches, and even that is slowly improving.

Overall, despite all the flaws, I actualy managed to have some fun with online.
You must be gay for lag then, it isn't **** if you enjoy it, lag being the rapist.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice

B****y thread is b****y.

Overall, despite all the flaws, I actually managed to have some fun with online.
if don't complain then nintendo will sit on their a**es and say meh they Brawl's online is good enough-let's stick with that for all online games from now on. they are going to continue doing what is "successful" and since that is their cheap wii quality, they will continue with friend's codes and sub-par online play unless we do complain. remember the customer is always right. we are doing them a favor by buying their games and keeping them from living on the streets. they least they can do is realize we aren't all little children and give us some worthy online capabilities. otherwise why give nintendo another chance if they continue to show 2nd rate work.

sorry for the rant there, but this is 2008 and they're still playing around with 2002 technology.

anyways so is there a petition to sign?

MildlyTemperate

Smash Cadet
The perfect post, I just fell like I have to reply. I have just finished a session of online smash and had the same ideas you have. I really hope this thread makes a difference.

Roller

Smash Legend
Ok, I completely agree with all of what you guys are saying. So let's stop all this useless complaining and finally agree upon the best attack strategies.

I think in terms of effort spamming emails with the same (or similar) message(s) is the easiest way to go. I think there was a good letter or two earlier on in the thread. The next step up would be spamming a few specific nintendo customer service/office numbers on the phone. All listing our demands.

Next we have sending a ton of letters in to both Nintendo Power and Nintendo offices. I think this is a pretty solid option. They wont be able to ignore all those letters forever, and I'm sure nintendo power would eventually atleast consider writing an article on the topic. This would definately inspire a large number of the readers to sympathize with us and would further help our cause by adding to our coalition.

Then there is the good old boycott strategy. While this would be by far the best method if it could be successfully achieved, I don't think that there is a snowballs chance in hell we could get the younger kids (a huge part of Nintendo's buyer base) to go along with not buying anything made by Nintendo.

I think the best plan is to do all of these things, however specifically focus on the letters and phone calls. They are more personal and harder to ignore than the emails.

We also need some additional help. The idea has been brought up quite a few times here to get help from other forums. We should definately do that. We should get as much help as possible.

So, with all that being said I think that we should get a start on this. So... What exactly do you guys want to try?

P.S. I forgot about the obvious option of a petition. I think we should definately do that as well, it would be easy to do and wouldn't require the majority of people to do anything other than sign their name, which people may be more inclined to do than spend all day writing letters or calling places.

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
That was a nice lengthy post, I don't know if we could make a difference, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. The gay thing is, one of my friends gets pretty much 0 input lag, and when I face him, I still get the one second. Which I don't understand, but whatever.

Point is, if we don't take a step forward as a community, nothing will ever happen.
thats the largest problem INPUT LAG! I HATE IT omg... youre not supposed to have lag on YOUR SIDE! its supposed to be thier reaction lag not your reaction lag... thats so horrible

sakurai=thickie

EDIT: anyone ever see the shawshank redemption? member how he sent letters every week to the library...well that worked after a few years... but hopefully for us if wont take that long

J18

Smash Journeyman
ya know the only thing i really hate is lag. i know it might be my fault or who ever i'm playing with's fault, but lag just kills the fun. i mean i could deal with all the lack of options and just overall *********** of the online set up if only the game ran smoothly.

King_MarioT3

Smash Rookie
This thread is so freaking true! Nintendo had voice chat, adding rivals, typing method to chat, and the ability to see your opponents name on wifi all on Metroid Prime: Hunters for the DS. Both this and brawl are rated T. If brawl is rated T then they shouldn't fear kids safety AS Much because they would be more educated at the T age. Even though most little kids can and will buy brawl. If MP:H is T and had all of that, so should brawl.

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
ya know the only thing i really hate is lag. i know it might be my fault or who ever i'm playing with's fault, but lag just kills the fun. i mean i could deal with all the lack of options and just overall *********** of the online set up if only the game ran smoothly.

i agree with this and the above post!

fun IS killed w/ input lag!

and nintendo isnt even trying to ditch the childish company title!

D

Deleted member

Nintendo should start making us pay money for online but improve it so it's actually worth using (like Xbox Live!). This would be a good business decision for them and a major improvement for us gamers. With the money they make, new better servers could be bought, patches and improvements could be made, ect. I will write a letter to them,

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I'm hesitant to sign any petitions, for the sole reason of it not mattering to Nintendo. They've sold millions of copies of the game already, it's obviously been a huge success. I dislike how they set up the online system as well, but what do they care if a few hundred people sign a petition? Regardless of if they change it, they'll still sell games, and obviously still have the sales of all the games sold to date.

Nintendo in general has crappy online (AC:DS, Brawl, Pokemon, etc.). The only passable online system was MKDS, IMO. An infinite amount of signatures is nothing, I fear.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if they are going to release another thing you will have to buy off the wii shop which upgrades ssbb's online capabilities... wii ware, ya know -_-

ashark8doom

Smash Rookie
YES! Nintendo's internet system is complete s***. It has been this way since gamecube, I remember the days of leaping through hoop after hoop just to get online in PSO. You would think they would take an example from Xbox or Playstations internet setup but they didn't. I played online yesterday for the first time, and that lag is god awful. It made me a worse player my friends came over later, and we are all very even in skill, but yesterday they kicked my a** I dont think I won one 1v1 against them. I even lost to my friend who just started playing a few days ago it was tragic... The lag seriously corrupted my play style and I felt sluggish compared to my rivals, but hey I am getting off the topic here....

Sure we can sign a petition but I dont think Nintendo will care that much. I am just going to boycott their online system completely.

rollerking540 said:
Next we have sending a ton of letters in to both Nintendo Power and Nintendo offices. I think this is a pretty solid option. They wont be able to ignore all those letters forever, and I'm sure nintendo power would eventually atleast consider writing an article on the topic. This would definately inspire a large number of the readers to sympathize with us and would further help our cause by adding to our coalition.
I don't think Nintendo Power would ever publish anything negative about Nintendo's ways. Those "official" magazines are all marketing. I would say a magazine in the middle such as EGM would be a better way to go.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
tin foil????

in all seriousness though, i think a petition is a good first step. anyone know any reputable sites for starting online petitions?

Suna

Smash Journeyman
well a Pettion could work not a big chance but It could..I used to think they would till I read in GI that those one guys(ones that make Bioshock) made Bioshock because one of them saw a pettion online with like 5 signatures(lol) and they said if they get more sigs they will make a Bioshock game(the pettion asked for a new System Shock I think) and look what happen.If Nintendo really cares they should lisend

Razed

Smash Ace
I fuggin want voice chat, badly =(. Voice chat and a little less lag would = fun as hell. I played a 4 player ffa with friends all over the country yesterday night, and lag wasn't really a problem for us... I think that's your net. But some form of communication = MUST. It sucks having to run upstairs, open msn, and tell my friend "brb" during the match when a voice chat or even a messenger would make it so much easier.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
Options and an online set-up for teens-adults. that's what i want. screw them making it for kids and kid friendly. We aren't children, so let there be chatting and NO FC, instead show the names in With Anyone

Flax

Smash Rookie
You, sir, have read my mind. Agree with absolutely everything and, in fact, I've been ranting about all of this for quite some time. Your feelings of anger, frustration, and disgust couldn't be felt any stronger. In fact, its down right scary how we all seem to feel the same way. Of course, like you said, we're all (most, anyway) are passionate about the game. I was laughing because of the delays to release because it was so typical to my luck. (Seems everything I'm waiting for never comes or is delayed.) It finally came out while I muttered that it better be so good, I suffer a heart attack in result. As we all know, it wasn't even slightly, remotely, somewhat, kinda, maybe someday, close.

Anyway, as for how to contact them, I'm ready to do each opposed to just one, but that's just me. I'm not sure how seriously online petitions are taken, but we might be able to get a lot of signatures spreading it around the net.

For what it's worth, I tried playing Brawl on my (fast) cable connection and dealt with lag spikes against basically everyone I played. I tried a DSL connection instead and it ran smoothly in a 4 player FFA.

It may not seem to you to be your connection (and I'm still not entirely sure what's up with my cable connection--I did some quality tests, but they didn't reveal much), but be open to the possibility. The matches themselves seem to be peer to peer, so if you're getting into a match but it's not running smoothly, odds are it's you or the person you're playing.

(This has nothing to do with the other problems inherent to how Nintendo decided to structure their online system, but before you complain that matches are laggy, take a look at other factors.)
Hmm, I still say the MASS amount of problems places the blame on them. Everyone I talk to IRL have problems, just about everybody here has problems, there's no way the problems are on our side. (Especially when people are using the same set up for other consoles and experience no problems online at all.)

selendrile

Smash Apprentice
I agree completely. Playing Brawl online is disappointing to say the least. I already emailed Nintendo with my complaints.

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
Sounds to me like you're a rebel without a cause. Yes, the online sucks, and yes, we all wish it were better. There are more civilized way to bring our complaints to them and still achieve the same effect.

Also, just because the online sucks, it doesn't mean it's cool to bash Nintendo now. "NINTENDO SUX LOL." Remember when XBox Live went down for like a month? Everyone was like "God Micro$oft is terrible. They don't know what the hell they're doing." They'll figure something out.

And if not, companies learn from their mistakes. Even Sony; remember when they were like, "lol we have motion-sensitive controllers, too"? And remember when everyone said it sucked, and they quickly took it back? Nintendo will learn, and I bet they'll release a pay service that makes it work better. In the meantime, if you're really that desperate for online play, it's either because you have someone specifically you want to play, which you can do, or because you want to play with new people, which is what these boards are for. There are plenty of players living around any given member, even those in like Australia and Canada, and you can find them here and arrange to meet and play. People managed in the GCN Smash (thanks, April Fool's), and they'll manage in this one.

Goldfinch

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I don't really mind a lot of the limitations of the system. The only thing about it that really bugs me is that you can't challenge a friend to a fight. I've started a brawl room hoping for a certain person to join, just to wait around for 5 minutes and feel guilty as I turn down four other people that attempt to join. I've resorted to calling my friends and hoping that I don't bother them during dinner or something just to have a brawl.

I guess voice chat would be kinda cool, but I'm just afraid that I'd embarrass myself by doing nothing but grunting and growling all the time to my friends while fighting. It's a personal thing, I know, but I understand why other people want it.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
I agree with your whole post. Nintendo's online is a joke. Recently I've even been thinking of selling my Wii and getting a 360 so I can actually play online. Multiplayer games are my favorite by far and Nintendo's online doesn't cut it

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Hmm, I still say the MASS amount of problems places the blame on them. Everyone I talk to IRL have problems, just about everybody here has problems, there's no way the problems are on our side. (Especially when people are using the same set up for other consoles and experience no problems online at all.)
Wrong thats contradictory.
if everyone is using the same setting and having problems with online but someone else uses a different setting and it works fine, the blame falls on the people not the company.

I have virtually no lag most of the time with the occasional lag spikes but those are very infrequent.

If it were that everyone has problems regardless of the settings then you could blame it on the company entirely, however, the consumer also plays a part in this case.

BT3 is a prime example of how its the companies fault. It lags badly regardless of what setings are used.

Granted NIntendo can do a lot more but its not entirely their fault,especially when every reviewer said they encountered no problems with online play when they tried it.

Top Bottom