• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online: Pathetic. So let's do something about it.

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a Wii, but I was excited to hear SSBB was gonna be online.
What is so bad about it? Even playing with friend codes has lag?

Bacon Man11

Smash Journeyman
^Heck to the yes it's terrible.

Nintendo has really great ideas, but they just can't get them out there in the right way.

M.T.H., your post is great, and you are right, we need to do something about this.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
we really should. why the hell does every other system get voice chat unlaggy service and othaer necessary features will were stuck here punching in 12 digit codes. makes me soo insanely mad

Bacon Man11

Smash Journeyman
AURGH!!! I don't know why but this thread gets me pumped up to do something about this. Ranting and flamming is not enough! We must evolve our tactics!

Morkexil

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what Nintendo was thinking when they made the anyone mode, apparently they weren't thinking. Its COMPLETELY 100% useless, 2 min KO matches are a sorry excuse for a match, 2 mins isnt nearly long enough, especially with 4 people. Time matches have always been flawed anyway, stock is the only way to go, and items on?? Its as if Nintendo was totally unaware of what mode 99% of players prefer. I couldnt believe my eyes at first when I entered that mode and couldnt change the settings, its like a cruel joke. Ah well at least theres the friends list, unless crippling lag is present.

Rass1618

Smash Rookie
i sold my xbox 360 for a wii cause i was like, well wii dont got that many good games, but since brawl is online i will NEVER get bored of it, now im like HUGEST MISTAKE EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR even though i hardly played my xbox, at least when i did want to play it, i didnt have to wait 5 mins to find 1 match and then play in a way that i hate with a passion, (items, time) i think time is just gay, you can win by just running around and attacking who ever is highest on dmg, now i'm extremely pissed cause even though i like playing brawl with friends, i normally only play with 2 of my friends, and very rarely play with the only other 2 people i know who play this game

my plan is im gonna try to find 64 people from smash boards and add all friend codes and aim names and when i wann play just get on and im people and be like "up for a match?" but finding 64 people will prolly take a while, by the way any1 wanna add me just message me at smasheroden on aim

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
meh.

A. the current online service, no matter how degenerate is better than NO online service.
B. It's free, it should be free. Don't encourage nintendo to make us pay. Xbox lives fees are cheap, but still unecessary.
C. If all people playing have good connections, lag is manageable. If one of more people do not, lag is bad. This is the case for any p2p based online game. They could have done the method where the lag is based on the host, but that would lead to host advantage which would break the entire online experience. Consider the sheer number of people playing on Nintendo's servers at any given time. And clearly Nintendo has less server capabilities than X-box. Also, X-box has been dealing with online for like a decade, and the 360 itself has had online games for like two years longer than the Wii. The wii still has loose ends to tie up obviously. Also consider that there is no fighting game as big (fame wise, and content wise) as smash that has online capabilities.
D. Agreed about "With Anyone", its worthless. use SWF Friend Finder or any of the several friend finders on the internet., its a perfectly fine replacement for "With Anyone".
E. I've never had more than 64 friends all of whom I consistently communicated with on any online service of any kind.
F. Agreed about communication. However, if you use a friend finder, you can communicate with your friends using other methods.

In summation, every problem unique to brawl online is pretty easily circumvented, and for the first effort at online in a smash game, I find it to be decent and better than nothing.

screeddie

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so the majority of what I'm seeing in this topic is what we should do rather than what's actually being done. How far have we gotten since this topic was created? Has there been any progress whatsoever? If not, we need to assemble, keep each other informed, and send every email, sign every petition that we can and etc.

How are we going to go about this? What's our next course of action?

Gringleman

Smash Rookie
For people wanting voice chat, I don't think Nintendo would be able to put that in the game. If you want in to be built in like CS is, you will have those immature guys spamming insults and whatever they can think of. Brawl was made to be for everyone, including kids. I doubt parents would be happy with kids saying, "Hey mom, what does **** you mean?"

-Knux-

Smash Ace
There should be some sort of way to ask someone for their brawl code when playing on "With Anyone". Say there's someone that you played and liked playing really well. Say there was a really funny moment and you wanted to get their FC to SOMEHOW contact them. Maybe after a match, when you're at your character select screen and it shows the other three people, you could click the respective "P2-3-4" box and click "Be friends?" or something along those lines. That would be GODLY if Nintendo could do this.

They have this option when you're Brawling with a friend for someone that's not your friend but still in the battle. You click the button by their name and it'll automatically add them to your list. This function needs to be on With Anyone. It's safe. If the other refuses, that's fine.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Lag is unavoidable for fighting games. Everything else is agreed upon. Still, it is fun if you manage to hook up with someone and Brawl for like one straigh hour.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
I agree, the brawl online could have been great but it is just awful. Friend codes suck.

Burn_

Smash Rookie
I've already sent multiple messages to Nintendo about this......however, Nintendo probably won't do anything anyway. They're probably already too busy thinking about their next project and how they can simplify that down so that "anyone" can play. I hate this new mindset of Nintendo. They don't care about the hardcore group thats been with them for years anymore, they're just out to make as much money as possible. Therefore more and more games like Wii Play, Nintendogs, Petz, and other garbage are being made. Remember Mario Galaxy? Great game, but extremely easy compared to any other Mario platformer I've played.

chic

Smash Ace
Mario Striker had a very smooth online game play experience. So what happened to brawl? One would think that since this game came out after that one they would only improve on that...

Also, if Nintendo decides to do something about the online play, can they actually release a patch or update to fix it?

Foxy

Smash Master
For those who think this has no hope: don't give up. This many people care, and change is not impossible.

For example, many people worry about the horrible competitive scene, with unbalanced defensive/offensive techniques and the removal of a lot of competitive features - yet that is about to change relatively soon.

So keep hope.

On a side note, the 64 friend limit is insane. I play on GB ladders, Singles and Doubles, and with around 120 Doubles matches and 80 Singles matches played, that adds up to 320 friend codes, assuming every player is unique. That is FIVE TIMES the friend list's size, and I also have personal buddies that I have to keep on there always. I've had to purge the list several times to make room for more matches.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
^ I agree^
also to those people who think 64 is more than enough i just want to pose a small scenario. What if the limit on myspace friends was 64?

but that's besides the point.
Burn_ I completely agree with u.

well off to spam nintendo's customer service.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
I.... and items on?? Its as if Nintendo was totally unaware of what mode 99% of players prefer.
Yeah, 99% of players prefer items on. Despite your narrowminded views, the majority of people who are playing Smash won't be wanting to test their skills on neutral/predictable maps without items. Tourney players make up a small minority of Smash players.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
Good luck with the petition. People have been complaining about this since the Wii launched. I hope Wii online will get better but its now getting later in the systems life cycle. Oh yeah guess what. Nintendo has gone on the record saying that they did a survey and it showed that the majority of gamers actually like friend codes.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
^ I agree^
also to those people who think 64 is more than enough i just want to pose a small scenario. What if the limit on myspace friends was 64?

but that's besides the point.
Burn_ I completely agree with u.

well off to spam nintendo's customer service.

No one would care because more often than not you aren't speaking with all 64 friends.
People just like having a massive array of options despite the fact it often serves no end.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
Yeah, 99% of players prefer items on. Despite your narrowminded views, the majority of people who are playing Smash won't be wanting to test their skills on neutral/predictable maps without items. Tourney players make up a small minority of Smash players.
i dont think anyone should use statistics... they make the speaker sound like an idiot.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
the online really is a joke. half the people on my FC list haven't even added me because
1. they aren't reachable and visit this site once a month
2. forgot to add or will add they next time they play (in 2 weeks, by which time they forget)

And adding people not from the west coast=LAG

seriously nintendo has to get rid of FC or make it so only one party needs to have it to play the other. Both people exchanging them takes freaking months. Not to mention most people barely go online because of the fact that people don't add them either, so it makes the friend's list practically worthless.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Funny thing is, the game is already out all your efforts to change Brawl would be utterly and simply pointless and you would make yourself's look like idiots :|

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
If the smash community is to spam nintendo customer service it should be for this ONE request:

Of your hundreds (thousands? idk) of employees just have 1 or 2 people represent Nintendo is in the smash community to HEAR (yes this implies listening and I know Nintendo will find it hard) the voices of the most dedicated players.

Why should they? Not because of money (even though that would be the only reason they would consider), but out of obligation and loyalty. Collectively this community has spent more time mastering the SSB games than Nintendo has spent making them and collectively we've probably spent more money on systems, games, controllers, tournaments, etc.

Anyway if we could get them to actually acknowledge that such a community exists I feel that would be more important than just fighting for a single problem among the many issues SSBB has in general.

Last point: IF A WELL-THOUGHT-OUT, ORGANIZED PLAN OF ATTACK IS DECIDED ON ABOUT IMPROVED ONLINE, EDIT THE FIRST POST TO INCLUDE IT.

Waggles

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. I don't know how such a huge and global gaming company can be so behind the times. Who looked at the "With Anyone" mode or friend codes and thought, "This is exactly what this game needs!"?

InfiniteSmash1221

Smash Cadet
I agree with this topic, nintendo really fell short on online. This is actually probably one of their worst online modes made for a game. Look at Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS for example, yes it uses a similar friend code battles and random battles, but even in the random battles you can ask someone to add you to your friend list by clicking on a handy little button on the results screen. It also has voicechat, albeit only at the "lobby" before fighting. If they can do this and more on the DS, why not on the wii in the best fighting game on the wii. The online mode feels like something they made thinking "hey, online is fun right? lets just add it in sticking to the basics, and it should still be fun right...am i right?". Don't get me wrong, im thankful to be able to play with friends when they aren't even in the room, but it seems like something they just rushed into it just to have it.

Recharge

Smash Rookie
I completely agree with all of these complaints. Especially the button lag. 2 Suggestions:

1. Extremely difficult to pull off and equally as unlikely to happen. IMO, Nintendo won't change anything as long as the game has good sales. Boycott the game until the internet is fixed = they'll fix things to the best of their abilities.

2. Swamp em with emails, phone calls, and also set up an internet petition. I'm positive a majority on Smashboards would sign it, and I know casual players have a problem with it too (at least my among my friends).

pmahcadal

Smash Rookie
awesome thread

i live in Australia and i still don't have a copy of this yet :(
but i agree that if you guys are getting lag that isn't due to ur own bad internet connection some must be done about it.
i'd like to add that Sakurai has mentioned he ommited the voice chat due to other reasons -
" http://kotaku.com/359450/sakurai-apologizes-for-no-voice-chat?cpage=2 "
original source - http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/853/853748p1.html (lots of the answers to your questions in this video)
i also think everyone shouldn't be too eager to be offering high amounts of money to pay for good online services since many more simpler solutions ( such as the suggestion of setting skype up neat ur wii or getting faster internet connections) would be a lot cheaper.

Acid_Wolf

Smash Cadet
I'll send an e-mail to nintendo. I also doubt it will do much, but I agree that Brawl's online is horrible. I'd like at least a 1 on 1 option and a ranking system.

Foxy

Smash Master
The online IS horrible but ignore the lag problems.

Nintendo CANNOT do anything about the fact that 2D fighters simply have more lag than 3D FPS games and such. In a 2D fighter, the stage must be continually generated while the 3D FPS games merely have a prerendered map (usually) where the players are simply sprites on it.

Though I don't think Nintendo is doing the best job at supporting online in the realm of performance, there are some issues they cannot fix.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
when i got brawl im just like "ya online play" but when i started playing online i realised it sucks and also my lag is terrible and nintendo is being cheapo's for online play...

Top Bottom