• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that Lucario was a "counter" to Metaknight or Snake. I said he could compete with Metaknight on equal ground, and had a trump card against Snake, despite it not being the most favourable match up for him otherwise (Snake being a hard hitter who KOes early, making it difficult for Lucario to take advantage of the damage range where he's in perfect aura mode.)
Fine, if Lucario is on equal grounds with Snake because he can chaingrab and gimp Snake, then I say Ganondorf is on equal ground against everyone above him in Melee, too, because of just those things. You also said "Lucario isn't top tier, but he's getting there", implying he's good enough to be Top Tier just because he can go pretty even against Meta and Snake (which is disputed).

I must have missed out on the later Melee tiers, because I never heard of Dr. Mario being considered a counter to Sheik...how does THAT work? *shrug*
What the hell do Tiers have to do with individual matchups? A lower tiered character can be a counter/good matchup against a higher tiered charater. You yourself claim Lucario goes at least even against Snake and Meta.

Mario can chaingrab Sheik, he can edgeguard her well (he can cape her sweetspotted Vanish) and he can also combo her well. He's not a counter, though.

You apparently stopped playing Melee in 2005, of course you've missed out on a lot of things. Doc still had a very good matchup against Sheik already back in 2005 IIRC.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I play Samus and I need Melee. Name me all the AAA Samus combos and you win prize.
Forward Smash -> Super Wavedash -> Forward Smash.
I can has banana nao? : 0

And also, Doc has always been a counter to Sheik. Could chaingrab him/her, Pills stopped alot of approaches. Doc's attacks all seemed to combo her well...

The finer details of the matchup elude me, but Doc has long been considered a counter to Sheik.

EDIT: OR at least a match up greatly benefitting Doc.

Corigames

Smash Hero
In the time it takes to SWD, anyone could either tech or break out with an attack. However... it is still awesome to pull off.

interesting combo... but no AA's here :D

Seriously though... if you have a banana... can I have it? I'm starving and poor. X_X

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I play Samus and I need Melee. Name me all the AAA Samus combos and you win prize.
She doesn't have any. She only has an AA combo which works well in Brawl, but not so well in Melee because of DI. She also has a Fair that rarely lands all hits in Melee, yet is exceptionally useful in Brawl. Where's mah cookie?

And Yuna: Gannondorf could be infinte shined by Fox, Pillared by Falco, and otherwise comboed to death by Sheik. Snake cannot do any of that to Lucario. Lucario also has many ranged and disjointed hitbox attacks, wheras Snake has only deceptive and ridiculous range. Lucario has a projectile with which to keep up with Snake's camping tricks. Ganondorf didn't have a projectile in Melee to get around needles, Blaster fire etc.

Also, I say that Lucario is "getting there" not because he has decent match ups with top tier characters, but because he is becoming more popular (and winning) in tournaments.

And gah, I never payed much attention to the Marios at all. I always detested them. I actually stopped playing Melee in 2006, so I don't have any excuse for not knowing about that.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
AAA Samus combos = Phanna Mint III

I maded you a bananer, but I glide tossed it...

*On topic*

Uh....

I believe Melee was more balanced than Brawl will ever be. The Sirlin argument that 'Variety = Imbalance' kinda ends the arguement for me.

The real question is, was SB64, in all of its brokeness, more balanced than the both of them?

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
The real question is, was SB64, in all of its brokeness, more balanced than the both of them?
depends on how you look at it. I never played ssb64 competitively (I was pretty young when it came out) nor have I even bothered to watch any videos of it (except for maybe one or two...) but afaik the characters were balanced but the overall gameplay wasn't. (in b4 I get flamed)

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think they had it right in N64... make every character ultimately broken... so that they are all even! They just forgot to break a few characters :D

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And Yuna: Gannondorf could be infinte shined by Fox, Pillared by Falco, and otherwise comboed to death by Sheik. Snake cannot do any of that to Lucario. Lucario also has many ranged and disjointed hitbox attacks, wheras Snake has only deceptive and ridiculous range. Lucario has a projectile with which to keep up with Snake's camping tricks. Ganondorf didn't have a projectile in Melee to get around needles, Blaster fire etc.
So? Snakecan't combo anyone to death. What makes that inability so special against Lucario, pray tell?

Also, I say that Lucario is "getting there" not because he has decent match ups with top tier characters, but because he is becoming more popular (and winning) in tournaments.
Name 5 tournaments (who aren't tiny or local ones) won by Lucarios.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
So? Snakecan't combo anyone to death. What makes that inability so special against Lucario, pray tell?

Name 5 tournaments (who aren't tiny or local ones) won by Lucarios.
You argued that Ganon could be considered a counter for the top tiers of Melee due to his chain grabbing ability. I replied by saying that these characters ALSO had similar combos that they could perform on him.

Lucario has a 20>70% chain grab on Snake that can very often end in a gimp kill. Snake does not have such a combo on Lucario unless you count his end of stage ledge infinite, which is impractical at best. See what I'm getting at here?

Anyway, why should I have to name 5 tournaments? 1 or 2 would be sufficient considering that most tournaments are won by Snake and Metaknight. But regardless, I'll go check the Lucario tournament threads to see what I can find. I do know for a fact though that Lucario is gaining in popularity, and if he hasn't won any tournaments yet, then he has certainly come very close (Remember that one with Azen and M2K? Yeah. Azen was playing Lucario and made it to the finals.)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyway, why should I have to name 5 tournaments? 1 or 2 would be sufficient considering that most tournaments are won by Snake and Metaknight. But regardless, I'll go check the Lucario tournament threads to see what I can find. I do know for a fact though that Lucario is gaining in popularity, and if he hasn't won any tournaments yet, then he has certainly come very close (Remember that one with Azen and M2K? Yeah. Azen was playing Lucario and made it to the finals.)
A very limited number of highly skilled Lucarios does not a rule make.

Ills

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of tournament wins, does anyone know how many big tournaments Kirby has won?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
By the way, Azen Zagenite is one of the best players and definitely the best Lucario, right?

1 Mew2King (Meta Knight)
2 Azen Zagenite (Lucario)
3 Chillindude829 (Falco)
4 NEO (Marth)
5 Forte (Meta Knight)
5 PC Chris (Snake)
7 Plank (Meta Knight)
7 DieSuperFly (Snake)

I find it telling that, according to people from EC, he hasn't actually won a large tournament in a while.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
By the way, Azen Zagenite is one of the best players and definitely the best Lucario, right?

1 Mew2King (Meta Knight)
2 Azen Zagenite (Lucario)
3 Chillindude829 (Falco)
4 NEO (Marth)
5 Forte (Meta Knight)
5 PC Chris (Snake)
7 Plank (Meta Knight)
7 DieSuperFly (Snake)

I find it telling that, according to people from EC, he hasn't actually won a large tournament in a while.
He really hasn't. I'm at every tourny he goes to pretty much. He hasn't won one in a while.

Fawriel

Smash Master
She doesn't have any. She only has an AA combo which works well in Brawl, but not so well in Melee because of DI. She also has a Fair that rarely lands all hits in Melee, yet is exceptionally useful in Brawl. Where's mah cookie?
I just got the game. I used Samus once for kicks.

The moment I landed a hit with her nair was the moment I decided that this game is irredeemable.
Besides the times I picked up Pit with no experience at all and ended up easily beating CPUs that I struggle with with low-tier characters I trained with for hours... nyeh.

I think they had it right in N64... make every character ultimately broken... so that they are all even! They just forgot to break a few characters :D
That's what I'm saying! They should just have shut up about their occult understanding of "balance" and made the most out of every god**** character.
Why can't everyone simply be as good as Wario or Wolf?

gantrain05

Smash Master

except u forgot that melee Ganondorf > Lucario, even with all those disadvantages ganon could still kick ***, u can't do that in brawl.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
UK, England (We got Brawl late. Get over it.)
except u forgot that melee Ganondorf > Lucario, even with all those disadvantages ganon could still kick ***, u can't do that in brawl.
Sorry, I may be getting the wrong idea from your comment, but I've been to led to believe that you just claimed Lucario is in Melee.
Unless, of course, you just meant that Melee's Ganondorf is much better than the current Lucario. Personally, I don't see that comparison as a legitimate one. :confused:

gantrain05

Smash Master
Sorry, I may be getting the wrong idea from your comment, but I've been to led to believe that you just claimed Lucario is in Melee.
Unless, of course, you just meant that Melee's Ganondorf is much better than the current Lucario. Personally, I don't see that comparison as a legitimate one. :confused:
its comparing lucario to snake from brawl, and ganon to every other top tier character in melee, ganon still did better against them than lucario does vs snake. he was saying lucario had the advantage because he could throw back projectiles at snake, but in melee he said ganon had no projectiles so vs fox and falco he got creamed, and i stated thats not the case, and melees ganon did better against teh top tiers than lucario does in brawl.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
its comparing lucario to snake from brawl, and ganon to every other top tier character in melee, ganon still did better against them than lucario does vs snake. he was saying lucario had the advantage because he could throw back projectiles at snake, but in melee he said ganon had no projectiles so vs fox and falco he got creamed, and i stated thats not the case, and melees ganon did better against teh top tiers than lucario does in brawl.
Ah, I see. Well, that's slightly more understandable, I suppose. :laugh:
I still don't see how comparing Melee-versions of Brawl-characters to newcomer-characters comes as an acceptable reference to their abilities.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
*checks up on page count*
Well, to put rather bluntly... ouch.

@Yuna - Not to sound rude, but would you mind replying to my comment directed at you on page 210...? ^_^
Why? You don't always respond to mine. But I'll humour you.

1) I was only basing this on my own opinion, rather than digging at others'. I know that Captain Falcon has a lot of downfalls, but I'm sure that almost all characters also have weaknesses that balance with the other character's. As for him getting comboed more than most characters, please elaborate...? I've not really noticed this before, but you could be correct.
1) This discussion is supposed to be based on pure opinion. One must use facts and evidence to support one's opinion (in this case).
2) No, not every character is as bad as Captain Falcon's, no matter how sure you are. In fact, very few do.

He gets comboed easier because he's got a larger hitbox. And he's also not very light (can't remember if he's a heavy-weight or not, but he's not a lightweight).

2) As for Toon Link, the case over here in the UK regarding his popularity is pratically identical to that of Metaknight's. :laugh:
The UK =/= The world

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Brawl-scene in the UK kinda small?

gantrain05

Smash Master
Ah, I see. Well, that's slightly more understandable, I suppose. :laugh:
I still don't see how comparing Melee-versions of Brawl-characters to newcomer-characters comes as an acceptable reference to their abilities.
yeah i know, im basically comparing melee to brawl, but using characters from each as an example.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
Why? You don't always respond to mine. But I'll humour you.

This discussion is supposed to be based on pure opinion. One must use facts and evidence to support one's opinion (in this case).
No, not every character is as bad as Captain Falcon's, no matter how sure you are. In fact, very few do.

He gets comboed easier because he's got a larger hitbox. And he's also not very light (can't remember if he's a heavy-weight or not, but he's not a lightweight).

The UK =/= The world

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Brawl-scene in the UK kinda small?
1) Hmm...? I've responded to you every time you've commented directly towards me. Thanks for replying, anywho. :laugh:
2) It is based on my pure opinion. As for it being backed up with evidence and facts, I suppose it is not. However, I just personally believe that all the characters pretty much balance out with one another. If I stated this as fact, I would certainly be wrong, I'm sure. I'm only expressing my opinion, whether it is unbacked-up by any evidence or not. ^_-
3) I wasn't claiming that Captain Falcon's character is as bad as all the other characters, but rather was optimistically saying that I believe his character is just as good as any other character.
4) Ah, I see. Oh, and I believe he's be called a middle-weight, if ever there was such a thing.
5) 'The UK =/= The world' - Not quite sure I understand what you're implying. May it possibly me that, as a whole, we express a different opinion than that of the rest of the world? Whether this is true or not, I was stating only by what goes here.
6) The Brawl-scene is relatively small, I suppose. The whir over it has already gone, and it's only been two weeks since its release! However, as I do live in the UK, I obviously have nothing to compare it to. I'm supposing Brawl was a giant hit everywhere else, judging by the chart listings.
With that said, Brawl has only been out for a short while, and already the majority of us interested in proper gaming has the game. Last week six of us had been invited to a friends' birthday party, and we all arrived with our Wii's and our own copy of Brawl. It was rather strange.
Seeing as that we had work-experience during the game's release, I've yet to go back to school on Monday to see what real impact the game has had.

I hope most of that made sense to you. It seemed rather jumbled up as I was typing it.
:dizzy:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
2) It is based on my pure opinion. As for it being backed up with evidence and facts, I suppose it is not. However, I just personally believe that all the characters pretty much balance out with one another. If I stated this as fact, I would certainly be wrong, I'm sure. I'm only expressing my opinion, whether it being unbacked by evidence or not. ^_-
Why do you hold this opinion when you have zero evidence to back it up while there's heaps of evidence to prove the opposite?

3) I wasn't claim that Captain Falcon's character is as bad as all the other characters, but rather was optimistically saying that I believe his character is just as good as any other character.
Same diff. And no, he isn't.

4) Ah, I see. Oh, and I believe he's be called a middle-weight, if ever there was such a thing.
Or not, he's among the heaviest in the game, IIRC, but not a heavy-weight. 9th-12th heaviest or something. I dunno, minutae.

5) 'The UK =/= The world' - Not quite sure I understand what you're implying. May it possibly me that, as a whole, we express a different opinion than that of the rest of the world? Whether this is true or not, I was stating only by what goes here.
No. Just because there are many Toon Links where you live doesn't mean it's important. In fact, are any of these Toon Links even good? There are many Ikes where I live but they mostly suck.

6) The Brawl-scene is relatively small, I suppose. The whir over it has already gone, and it's only been two weeks since its release! However, as I do live in the UK, I obviously have nothing to compare it to. I'm supposing Brawl was a giant hit everywhere else, judging by the chart listings.
With that said, Brawl has only been out for a short while, and already the majority of us interested in proper gaming has the game. Last week six of us had been invited to a friends' birthday party, and we all arrived with our Wii's and our own copy of Brawl. It was rather strange.
Seeing as that we had work-experience during the game's release, I've yet to go back to school on Monday to see what real impact the game has had.
The top smashers of the UK have been playing Brawl ever since it was released in Japan. There have always been tournies for Brawl already. If you didn't know this, then you probably aren't a Competitive Brawl player and if you aren't, then you probably don't know the game on a deeper, Competitive level and if you don't, well, I don't understand why you're in this thread.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
Why do you hold this opinion when you have zero evidence to back it up while there's heaps of evidence to prove the opposite?

Same diff. And no, he isn't.

Or not, he's among the heaviest in the game, IIRC, but not a heavy-weight. 9th-12th heaviest or something. I dunno, minutae.

No. Just because there are many Toon Links where you live doesn't mean it's important. In fact, are any of these Toon Links even good? There are many Ikes where I live but they mostly suck.

The top smashers of the UK have been playing Brawl ever since it was released in Japan. There have always been tournies for Brawl already. If you didn't know this, then you probably aren't a Competitive Brawl player and if you aren't, then you probably don't know the game on a deeper, Competitive level and if you don't, well, I don't understand why you're in this thread.
1) An opinion is only a opinion. For me, every character is just as easily usable as any other character.
2) It does rather hold the same meaning, but in a more positive view! :chuckle: Again, I was only basing this on my person opinion. How I came about to gain this opinion is explained above.
3) 12th of 35 isn't that bad in terms of him being a heavyweight. He has other aspects, anyway, to make up for that. :dizzy: (Again, that is just an opinion.)
4) Toon Link, Metaknight and Snake just so happen to be the most popular here in the UK, I believe. Whether the majority of Toon Link players are good ones is a valid question, but it is bound to make a difference if you're referring to Tier lists.
5) The majority of us, though, have only had the game since its UK release. No known important tournies have been held here since the official release date. I would like to be a competitive players, but there are so far no tournaments I have been able to attend to prove my worth.
As for me not knowing the game on a 'deeper, more competitive level', I suppose not in a sense. Currently, I've only played it by myself, with friends and with people online.
I also like the way that you're implying the main cause of this thread is regarding competitive play and tournies. The question of the thread is if we believed Brawl was more balanced than Melee or not, which therefore makes me legititmate to be in this thread.
Unless, of course, you're saying that no-one apart from tourney entrants are permitted to discuss here on this thread as they aren't allowed an opinion on the matter. I'm not saying that is what you're insinuating, but if it is, it's an incredibly pathetic claim. :laugh:

yeah i know, im basically comparing melee to brawl, but using characters from each as an example.
Understood. ^_^ Just wanted to make things clear in my mind.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I also like the way that you're implying the main cause of this thread is regarding competitive play and tournies. The question of the thread is if we believed Brawl was more balanced than Melee or not, which therefore makes me legititmate to be in this thread.
Unless, of course, you're saying that no-one apart from tourney entrants are permitted to discuss here on this thread as they aren't allowed an opinion on the matter. I'm not saying that is what you're insinuating, but if it is, it's an incredibly pathetic claim. :laugh:
The question "Which game is more balanced" requires you to have extensive knowledge in both games, knowledge the vast majority of Casual players do not possess because they just do not have the necessary experience and dedication to have learned all of it.

Have you been to many tournaments? Have you watched many high-level videos? Have you read up a lot on Smashboards? You can't just sit at home, play the game and then go "Yes, I know everything there is to know about the game now". Because chances are, you're wrong.

I'm saying, judging on your level of play (non-Competitive) and what you've said so far ("Captain Falcon isn't that bad! He's pretty much as good as anyone else!"), you do not possess the necessary knowledge to accurately judge which game is more balanced.

As you've admitted, your posts are filled with, what, 99% opinion? This isn't a thread about who your favourite character is, who your main is or what colours you like most. It's OK to have an opinion in this thread, but you must be able to back them up with facts if you express them, otherwise, you'll only be doing just that, stating an opinion.

And the balance of the games is not based on opinion but on verifiable facts.
You: Brawl is more balanced, because I think so!
Me: Melee is more balanced because *actual facts*!

It's perfectly fine to not know enough about this game to discuss things like these. But you shouldn't enter discussions like these in that case, though.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
The question "Which game is more balanced" requires you to have extensive knowledge in both games, knowledge the vast majority of Casual players do not possess because they just do not have the necessary experience and dedication to have learned all of it.

Have you been to many tournaments? Have you watched many high-level videos? Have you read up a lot on Smashboards? You can't just sit at home, play the game and then go "Yes, I know everything there is to know about the game now". Because chances are, you're wrong.

I'm saying, judging on your level of play (non-Competitive) and what you've said so far ("Captain Falcon isn't that bad! He's pretty much as good as anyone else!"), you do not possess the necessary knowledge to accurately judge which game is more balanced.

As you've admitted, your posts are filled with, what, 99% opinion? This isn't a thread about who your favourite character is, who your main is or what colours you like most. It's OK to have an opinion in this thread, but you must be able to back them up with facts if you express them, otherwise, you'll only be doing just that, stating an opinion.

And the balance of the games is not based on opinion but on verifiable facts.
You: Brawl is more balanced, because I think so!
Me: Melee is more balanced because *actual facts*!

It's perfectly fine to not know enough about this game to discuss things like these. But you shouldn't enter discussions like these in that case, though.
1) I have extensive knowledge of both games. You said so yourself that only the vast majority of casual players have this knowledge... what say I'm one of the minority? My knowledge of most Nintendo games is pretty high, thank you, and I'll debate with anyone claiming otherwise. As for the matter of me being a casual player, I don't see this as true AT ALL. Who exactly defines what a casual player of the game is exactly? I'm as sure as you are that tourney's aren't programmed into the game. Say I were to only extensively play Brawl without competing at a single tourney. Does this make me a casual player? I should think not. I'll also assume you're implying that you know all there is to know about Brawl/Melee and that I am inferior in terms of your knowledge towards the games. How on Earth does that theory work out? I have the dedication to learn everything there is about the two games. My only drawback is that I have not entered a Brawl tourney. I don't think this has any relevance as to my knowledge of the games themselves at all.

2) I'm fully aware that by just playing the game does not automatically make me knowledgable in the way of the game. Of course, I've read up about the game. I've done so several years before the initial release, even, and afterwards, too.
With that said, I'll contradict my first statement by adding that simply playing the game is probably enough to know all about the game. Everything to know about the game itself is, obviously, within the game itself, excluding the game's history. Of course, if someone were to do this with both Brawl and Melee, I'm positive that their opinion of the balance was at least meritable.

3) You're apparentely mistaking the whole concept of an opinion. Large amounts of experience and knowledge is not needed in order to have an opinion on anything, only theories. I was expressing my opinion, not explaining a theory. The two words actually have different definitions. If I find Falcon to be just as easy to use as the other characters, then so be it. No amount of evidence, experience and/or knowledge is needed to make that decision. Falcon is not one of my mains nor my secondaries. I was simply establishing an opinion, of which I could do even without my knowledge. It may be that you have more knowledge than me of the game. In this case, which to be honest is probable, knowledge can still not be used to reflect someone else's opinion. If I were to say that I disliked every character in the game, would you be able to defy my statement? The answer is no, as it is only an opinion.

4) Yes, most of my posts are opinion, but so are every other member's posts. And who the hell said evidence is needed to back up an opinion...? Evidence is needed to prove a theory, not to express your opinion. Every other member here have only stated opinions. None of them can be certified correct nor false, as there are no ways of ever establishing this game as less/more un-balanced than Melee.
Also, I'm aware that this thread is not about whom your favourite character/main/etc. is, and never have I referred to any of it. I've stuck to the topic at hand in each of my posts. Point out where you think otherwise is the case, and I'll correct you. :bee:

5) I'm aware that the balance itself is based on varifiable facts. I wasn't saying that my opinion WAS the inevitable answer to the question. No opinion, including yours, can ever prove the balance of the two games.
Me: In my opinion, Melee is more balanced.
You: Melee is more balanced because my opinion means more than Toadsanime's, due to these 'facts' I hold.
I never said I found Brawl to be more balanced, just that I think the characters are more balanced than others suggest. You should maybe of read my first post a little clearer. :laugh:

6) I know enough about this game to have my opinion heard in this thread, as does anyone. The thread's question does not refer to any knowledge I am not already aware of. Both of us are expressing opinions now in this debate, not forcing it onto the other that everything we say is true.

(P.S: By the time you've replied to this, I may still be correcting grammatical errors made in my comment. Sorry if this is the case.)

Ills

Smash Apprentice
Yuna, you should know better to not to make thread like this. They're flamebait, whether intentional or not.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
Yuna, you should know better to not to make thread like this. They're flamebait, whether intentional or not.
I actually think it's an awesome thread of Yuna's, to be honest. Neither me nor Yuna have flamed each other, we're only debating. Sorry if it seemed otherwise. :laugh:
I like debates. This seems to be the only forum I've been to where people are willing to have them without insulting one another. ^_^

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
1) I have extensive knowledge of both games. You said so yourself that only the vast majority of casual players have this knowledge... what say I'm one of the minority?
Wait, what?

My knowledge of most Nintendo games is pretty high, thank you, and I'll debate with anyone claiming otherwise. As for the matter of me being a casual player, I don't see this as true AT ALL.
I thought you were implying you were a Casual player when you got upset when I said that you have to be a Competitive player to know enough to participate in this discussion. The fact of the matter is that many Competitive players don't know enough to be a part of this discussion. It requires that much knowledge.

Also, I very much question your knowledge and judgment with statements like "Captain Falcon is just as good as anyone else!".

Who exactly defines what a casual player of the game is exactly? I'm as sure as you are that tourney's aren't programmed into the game.
You go to tournaments, you're a Competitive player. Or you play against people who do go to tournaments a lot.

Say I were to only extensively play Brawl without competing at a single tourney. Does this make me a casual player? I should think not.
Tell me, have you encountered a Pikachu who uses Quick Attack Cancels as an approach? Have you encountered DeDeDes who chaingrab? Have you encountered Zeldas who combo non-sweetspotted Dairs into sweetspotted Dairs when edgeguarding?

If you don't go to tournaments, you'll only play against a limited amount of people. Said limited amount of people, if they don't go to tournaments, will also have played a limited amount of people. You will all play people of limited skill because they do not go to tournaments or hang out on Smashboards enough to read up on the latest, the best and the most common.

Have you learned how to handle Glide Tossing? Because if you haven't, you could very well get destroyed by a Diddy the first time you play a Diddy who does. This is why Casuals are on a lower level, their chances of having dealt with certain strategies are very small.

You have most probably not encountered a lot of strategies. And as such, you will probably not be able to handle them very well. Reading about them isn't enough, Training Mode isn't enough. You need to practice against human opposition in real time.

I'll also assume you're implying that you know all there is to know about Brawl/Melee and that I am inferior in terms of your knowledge towards the games. How on Earth does that theory work out? I have the dedication to learn everything there is about the two games. My only drawback is that I have not entered a Brawl tourney. I don't think this has any relevance as to my knowledge of the games themselves at all.
I assumed you were a Casual player from your posts. And statements like how Captain Falcon is on an equal playing field as everyone else.

I don't know all there is to know. I just know a lot more than you.

2) I'm fully aware that by just playing the game does not automatically make me knowledgable in the way of the game. Of course, I've read up about the game. I've done so several years before the initial release, even, and afterwards, too.
How could you possibly read up on the game "several years" before it was initially released? Unless you mean the Smash Dojo, which didn't really give us much useful (new) information and which hasn't been around for "several years" (it was around for, what, 2 years before the release?).

With that said, I'll contradict my first statement by adding that simply playing the game is probably enough to know all about the game.
Unless you're a genius at analyzing games and coming up with the perfect strategies for each character and the perfect ways to deal with them, no.

Everything to know about the game itself is, obviously, within the game itself, excluding the game's history. Of course, if someone were to do this with both Brawl and Melee, I'm positive that their opinion of the balance was at least meritable.
Not really. One can play a game for years without understanding it if one lacks the necessary knowledge and mindset to accurate gauge things. How many people who'd played Melee for years haven't told you Roy is better than Marth simply because they never figured out how to accurately play Marth?

3) You're apparentely mistaking the whole concept of an opinion. Large amounts of experience and knowledge is not needed in order to have an opinion on anything, only theories. I was expressing my opinion, not explaining a theory. The two words actually have different definitions.
I'm sorry, what part of "This discussion has no place for pure opinion without anything to back it up." was too Irish for you to grasp? You can't just say "This is my opinion". Fine, so we'd be stuck with 29,000 opinions. That's not very helpful. Or verifiable.

If I find Falcon to be just as easy to use as the other characters, then so be it. No amount of evidence, experience and/or knowledge is needed to make that decision.
The question is, why are you so adamant about keeping that opinion when so many of us tell us why you're wrong? It's OK to have an opinion. But one should also know when to admit one's wrong and revise one's opinion.

Also, ease of usage =/= ease of winning.

Falcon is not one of my mains nor my secondaries. I was simply establishing an opinion, of which I could do even without my knowledge.
Random opinions have no place in this discussion.

It may be that you have more knowledge than me of the game. In this case, which to be honest is probable, knowledge can still not be used to reflect someone else's opinion. If I were to say that I disliked every character in the game, would you be able to defy my statement? The answer is no, as it is only an opinion.
Stop justifying your opinion. I told you this thread has no place for people just stomping in and stating their opinions.

Peach is Top Tier. That's my opinion, there. Now if 10 more people say that, will that magically make her Top Tier?

4) Yes, most of my posts are opinion, but so are every other member's posts.
No they're not. Mine aren't pure opinion.

And who the hell said evidence is needed to back up an opinion...?
In this thread, you kinda need it. We have no need for blind opinions here. I told you this.

Gah! More babbling about opinion.

I never said I found Brawl to be more balanced, just that I think the characters are more balanced than others suggest. You should maybe of read my first post a little clearer. :laugh:
Fine.

You: Captain Falcon is just as good as anyone else because I think so!

6) I know enough about this game to have my opinion heard in this thread, as does anyone. The thread's question does not refer to any knowledge I am not already aware of. Both of us are expressing opinions now in this debate, not forcing it onto the other that everything we say is true.
You can talk how much you want in this thread. The question is what value it brings to the thread when what you say is highly inaccurate and pure opinion, using zero facts to support it. It's just someone spewing random opinions.

Yay.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I remember when I thought the same way as Toadsanime. He'll get smarter as his post count goes up.

Back onto any topic, - What is the best way to discover counterpick tactics? I already shared my opinion - to find which of the PT's pokemon is the most effective in any given matchup and search for these qualities among other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom