• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
I think it seems more balanced at first until you actually get better at the game and realize a good snake will kill all

IrArby

Smash Ace
Sorry I missed out the on last two days. I had to read like 5 pages to catch up. This is all of topic but I'm still pissed about this so I'll tell you all anyway.

I played in a Brawl and Melee Tournament and in Brawl I lost a set to a kid like 13 years old. For the record, I'm 19. He picked MK and I (not being an *******) picked Marth. The funny thing is, his older brother walked by when he picked MK and said "Aww come on. Be fair."

List of Gayness:
His MK would NOT DIE since hey its MK
He interupted my dancing blade combos by mashing the A button
At one point his drill rush thingie (not even the tornado) outprioritized my Marth's tippered Fsmash. Seriously, it was definetly tippered and I got hit WTFFFFFF.

There were many more gay moments but these stick out since they happened multiple times throuhout the set.

Oh yea Yoshi's was viable in Melee (unless I'm horribly mistaken) by good wavedash, awesome edguard ability, and ofcourse the DJC among other things. Options 1 and 3 are gone and you never need to edgeguard people in this game. He's not particularly Fast or Strong and has a bad recovery. Honestly, I'm having trouble even thinking of good points.

Samochan

Smash Master
List of Gayness:
His MK would NOT DIE since hey its MK
He interupted my dancing blade combos by mashing the A button
At one point his drill rush thingie (not even the tornado) outprioritized my Marth's tippered Fsmash. Seriously, it was definetly tippered and I got hit WTFFFFFF.
Mashing buttons on brawl is too good. >_> Which is why bad players can get away with not timing their moves or simply smashing buttons. :/ At least on melee you had to time them and smashing roll and a buttons didn't help to overcome your opponent that much. On brawl it's actually encouraged with the buffer system, lack of hitstun and improved roll. >_>

And isn't the drill invulnerable? As if it didn't have enough priority as it is with the disjointed hitbox and whatever and meta being too good anyway... I also wouldn't put it past sakurai that metanite has better disjointed hitboxes than marth or that marth's disjointed hitbox is really small this time around.

Age shouldn't matter though, unless you haven't heard of those 7 year old prodigies. :p

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Drill Rush has ridiculous priority, but it makes up for it by being a bad move to attack with and being horribly punishable out of shield.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Someone said that Ivy has the worst recovery in the game (don't want to find and quote), before I go in to detail as to why she doesn't, I want to know your reason.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Yoshi must have some good points right?
Good weight and decent overall speed. The recovery sucks, but against many opponents you should be able to survive for a while with good DI and by making wise use of your Egg Jump. Bair is a nice approach with no lag. Uair is a good KO move. Egg Toss is a nicely versatile move. He excels at eating and stabbing through shields with bair and dair. And the pseudo-wavedash gives him some spacing if you have a pair of really fast fingers.

Besides that, he's mostly just... sort of... mediocre. Not really bad, just mediocre. Anything he can do, someone else can do better. Which means that he loses against anyone who has some absurdly awesome ability, which is half the cast in this game.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Someone said that Ivy has the worst recovery in the game (don't want to find and quote), before I go in to detail as to why she doesn't, I want to know your reason.
-Bad horizontal drift
-Bad second jump
-Vine Whip has it's range decreased dramatically if a ledge is taken
-Vine Whip "jump" is tiny
-Razor Leaf/Fair < ledge regrab/ledge roll (100%+)

That being said, solo Ice Climber's is worse.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Due to the fact that I didn't play competitivly in Melee (I spammed Up B with Fox), I cannot answer your question, "More Balanced than Melee? Lie or truth," but I can offer you my two cents of truth. As far as I can tell, the game does seem to have it's spikes in statistics. Characters like Snake seem to have all the advantages: he can wave dash, K.O. easily, combo, rack up damage, and out prioritize his opponents' attacks. On the other hand, we have characters like Jigglypuff who can't really do much of anything. She can combo, but she has trouble KOing a smart opponent who looks out for her D-Air into Rest, or the mid-air-well-timed rollouts. I'm going to state that every character does have their strong points, which are supposed to make up for their short comings. It's only until they meet a character who bests them at their own talent, that the game really begins to seem unbalanced.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
There are many things that make Brawl unbalanced. The final smashes I think are the main one since some are just impossible to dodge (Sonic's) and some are not even really final smashes (DK)

Then there is the game recoveries. Most have decent recoveries now except for the grapple hook like ones because if someones grabbing the edge, your basicly screwed. Then theres someone like Snake who has a huge air time recovery and if he dosn't make it can use a down B special to basicly try again. In melee, once you used up B your done but now all the sudden in brawl characters can use up B but still be able to use their specials and stuff. I think this is what makes the game unbalanced.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Due to the fact that I didn't play competitivly in Melee (I spammed Up B with Fox), I cannot answer your question, "More Balanced than Melee? Lie or truth," but I can offer you my two cents of truth. As far as I can tell, the game does seem to have it's spikes in statistics. Characters like Snake seem to have all the advantages: he can wave dash, K.O. easily, combo, rack up damage, and out prioritize his opponents' attacks. On the other hand, we have characters like Jigglypuff who can't really do much of anything. She can combo, but she has trouble KOing a smart opponent who looks out for her D-Air into Rest, or the mid-air-well-timed rollouts. I'm going to state that every character does have their strong points, which are supposed to make up for their short comings. It's only until they meet a character who bests them at their own talent, that the game really begins to seem unbalanced.
You make me hopeful for a future in which more casual players will be able and willing to notice the obvious. Thank you.
There are many things that make Brawl unbalanced. The final smashes I think are the main one since some are just impossible to dodge (Sonic's) and some are not even really final smashes (DK)

Then there is the game recoveries. Most have decent recoveries now except for the grapple hook like ones because if someones grabbing the edge, your basicly screwed. Then theres someone like Snake who has a huge air time recovery and if he dosn't make it can use a down B special to basicly try again. In melee, once you used up B your done but now all the sudden in brawl characters can use up B but still be able to use their specials and stuff. I think this is what makes the game unbalanced.
Yeah, that's a major part. The really broken characters can practically not be gimped, while the really lousy ones can hardly make it back on the stage if you poke them hard enough. That's one thing that really makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking. Yeah, sure, this bunch of characters is allowed to recover from anything, but Samus? Dude, bomb-jumping is broken! Let's fix her down-b and weaken every other aspect of her while we're at it.

Makes my hair stand up thinking about it.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Besides that, he's mostly just... sort of... mediocre. Not really bad, just mediocre. Anything he can do, someone else can do better. Which means that he loses against anyone who has some absurdly awesome ability, which is half the cast in this game.
TY Fawriel for answering my question about Yoshi. :)

IrArby

Smash Ace
I prefer brawl to melee
Thanks for sharing your option! Lol

Seriously, does anyone have anything new to add to the topic. Please if your new to the thread take the time to read the last 10 pages or more to save the rest of the people cosistently posting here from having to re re re re re reiterate old discussion points.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Who cares about balance. Its all about tech skill and Brawl has none of that.
Tech skill does not a good fighting game make.

Balance does not a good fighting game make.

It is the two in tandem that makes an excellent fighter.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, no. It's Mewtwo that makes an excellent fighter, and guess what Brawl's missing?

If you answered tech skill or balance, you're wrong.

It's Mewtwo.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
No it's our favorite boy. Roy's our Boy! Well you could probably think that it's less balance because of new characters and they are trying to stop clones, 3rd game only, and that characters were to overpowered take a huge hit, and characters underpowered get a nice Buff (looks at Sheik and Zelda)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Actually, no. It's Mewtwo that makes an excellent fighter, and guess what Brawl's missing?

If you answered tech skill or balance, you're wrong.

It's Mewtwo.
Correction, it is Mewtwo AND Red Koopa Shells. Without these two things, no game can be great. Please note that Mario Kart is approximately 30% better as a fighter than Brawl just because of the addition of Red Shells.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Correction, it is Mewtwo AND Red Koopa Shells. Without these two things, no game can be great. Please note that Mario Kart is approximately 30% better as a fighter than Brawl just because of the addition of Red Shells.
Mario Kart 64 is perfect compared to Brawl as a fighter. I mean, it had AT's, Mindgames, and Red Shells... you could even have 3 at once! Yeah, Mario Kart 64 FTW.

IrArby

Smash Ace
MarioKart is badass but mostly just the 64. I downloaded it onto my Wii. Wii Mario Kart has to many broken weapons and just too many people racing in general. Plus its slower and more idiot proof. Kinda like Brawl.

Oh yea too much involvement from the level/track/stage in general. Yea Brawl's shortcomings are not unlike Wii Kart.

What exactly are the ATs for Kart64? I've played alot and might already know some of what your talking about even if I didn't know that it was considered advanced. I used to think I was pretty good a Melee as well so I'm open to learning ATs for 64.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Dude, if we're gonna talk skill, let's get some Diddy Kong Racing in this thread.

Gotta love my magnet skillz. Also, boosts in first place are amazing.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Theoretical question, if the designers omitted Snake, MK, Yoshi, and C. Falcon, would Brawl be somewhat balanced? Because the most major threats to Brawl's balance (IMO) are Metal Snake Knights, and Yoshi and C. Falcon sucking.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Isn't Game & Watch statistically better than Meta-Knight? Why is there no whining that he's broken, just Snake and Meta?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Mewtwo is a great fighter as long as you add a "K" on the end.

and Shiek definetly got nerfed.
Who's Mewtwothousand LOL?

Jk

Tech skill does not a good fighting game make.

Balance does not a good fighting game make.

It is the two in tandem that makes an excellent fighter.
Although I sound like a troll, straight Fox dittos follows both criteria.

However, Fox dittos are SUPER fun. Idk why v/btard casual***s always rag on them. Probably just because we care enough to actually rank the characters.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Does Yoshi actually suck that much?

I haven't used C. Falcon much, but he seems fast and with fairly strong attacks. What's that makes him so weak?

We should look for good players with these characters and learn from them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom