• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for the idea of reusing models. there's no sense wasting time reconstructing a model that you know you can't replicate 100%. in the end you could have spent that time making your own original character, rather then copycating what's already been done.

even making a new model is against the no no rule being the idea is copyrighted. the chrono trigger resurrection incident for example; guy makes trig models, sony says NO.

either way you slice it, it doesn't matter if we replicate or re-rig rips.

though obviously some people are going to be head strong towards modeling from scratch, that's respectable.

so how about we toss some idea's around, find out what does need to be modeled. if there's something I can supply, I'll indecate that a rip is available.
that's understandable. why wouldnt you use a model someone got paid to make?

but then there is the originality aspect, and I am leaning towards making fresh models even though there is another readily available. This way, people can't get too upset if someone re-rigs the model incorrectly.

(and I know for sure that there is a full model rip of Twilight Princess :) )

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm all for the idea of reusing models. there's no sense wasting time reconstructing a model that you know you can't replicate 100%. in the end you could have spent that time making your own original character, rather then copycating what's already been done.

even making a new model is against the no no rule being the idea is copyrighted. the chrono trigger resurrection incident for example; guy makes trig models, sony says NO.

so how about we toss some idea's around, find out what does need to be modeled. if there's something I can supply, I'll indecate that a rip is available.
I'd have to agree with this. Saves people time and energy, and when it comes down to it, if I knew that a model of a character existed, why WOULDN'T I use it? I'd be using the model of the character, the real thing, not someone's customized variation that could possibly be missing some details, no.
Plus, there are some pretty impatient people out there, and would probably HATE to wait for something like {Ridley}, when we're all well aware a few models for him already exist, especially the excellent one in-game!

I'd say, characters that can be ripped... rip those directly, and worry about making "customized" versions later, if at all. So long as its satisfies the public. Customization can come AFTER the initial excitement of model hacking wears off, when people can take a moment to make models/textures on their leisure without feeling the need to rush it mainstream.

That's all just me, of course.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
C'mon Pharrox, you can do it!
I expect a release in a week or so.
Also: If we ever get a mallow model, who would it replace? can't be Kirby, his arms aren't long enough.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the lack of updates. Between school and work I haven't had a day off in two weeks and I won't until this Friday (and then another two weeks with no breaks. It also doesn't help that midterms are this week so I've got that to worry about, and I have to deal with the most evil teacher I've ever known (I've had more work in her class in the first half of this semester than in every other college class combined).

Also, I'm with mariokart on the model ripping issue. Pretty much everything we do here is illegal in some way. Heck, every time you share a texture you are redistributing someone else's work (model included). I don't see why doing the same thing but with a model you extracted from a different game or a diffrent part of this game is suddenly crossing the line.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Yes... it seems everyone is excited. Pharrox, good job, yuu rox. anyways, Im hoping maybe one day nintendo will maybe study this... it can be a way to show that what we are adding with hacks can be a good idea to implement in their next game... assuming there will be one. I myself would find this rather good, so when i make my game... eventually... i may include features unique in like no other game. also, Iknow i'm not really sure how to rig models, so i'l probably just be getting ones made by others.

@Pharrox: This will work with stages? if so, how would one go about making them animate... and do crazy things like in spear pillar, or picto chat... or even as simple as H or V scrolling (mushroomy/rumble falls)?

_Vuze_

Smash Apprentice
Why don't we just create small patches for the files? The end-user has to have the original file himself, just patches it and it's fine (like SZS Modifier does or game language patches are done).

@fortwaffles: I'd assume this H or V scrolling isn't defined in the brres file itself. And yes, I think it will work with stages, at least common ones. On Spear Pillar and such... I am not sure.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
At least at first, stage support will be partial. Stage files contain a special kind of brres subfile (SCN0) which is the most complicated subfile after MDL0.

This file won't be built into the original program so in order to edit stages you would need to work around it using ssbextract, and a few other programs. This is actually the file that controls things such as camera and light animations, so no, it won't be supported right off (you will need to use the stages preexisting one).

Creating patches only works when the files will always be the same and there are just a few changes to be made. Since I need a universal format (Collada), the end result will be so different that there will be no way to check if it's the same thing as contained in another file.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
...Rotom? LOL.
So Pharrox, how would we edit the bone structure and animations (not to mention hitboxes) to make it more suitable fitting to the modded character? PSA?

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
You have to keep the same bone structure as the character you are replacing, make sure you don't scale or make the bones any longer in anyway, since they will revert back to original size (because animation bone position overwrites default t pose) so it will turn all weird. When rigging with original bone set, just use the rotate tool.

Once we have animation hacks all we have to do is make our OWN bones, rig then before we can use the model we have to make a new animation for each old one.

And hitboxes are edited in PSA, so i don't get why you said that.

D

Deleted member

Pharrox, maybe you should update the OP with the current version of the extractor, and post what you're working on right now, that would probably reduce a lot of potential spam from this thread.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
You have to keep the same bone structure as the character you are replacing, make sure you don't scale or make the bones any longer in anyway, since they will revert back to original size (because animation bone position overwrites default t pose) so it will turn all weird. When rigging with original bone set, just use the rotate tool.

Once we have animation hacks all we have to do is make our OWN bones, rig then before we can use the model we have to make a new animation for each old one.

And hitboxes are edited in PSA, so i don't get why you said that.
In this case, I'm inferring that if there's a Zant model, he'll replace Marth.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to get the OP updated when I have a chance.

This morning I was able to get a model generated without needing any manual input (Yay!), so from this point I've kinda reached a point where I'm no longer trying to replicate the format and I'm just trying to maximize compatibility. Animations will be added shortly after the initial release, but probably not before.

Also, I want to add a special thanks to Kryal for his help with the table entries. :)

bboynotbgirl

Smash Journeyman
quick question. im a complete noob at this, but say this becomes successful. if i have a model say marth as whoever. would it desync on wifi even if there arent any hitbox changes or anything that would obviously desync it?

Plasmakirby1

Smash Journeyman
quick question. im a complete noob at this, but say this becomes successful. if i have a model say marth as whoever. would it desync on wifi even if there arent any hitbox changes or anything that would obviously desync it?
good question. it shouldn't desync. if i doesn't change gameplay at all, it shouldn't desync. take texture hacks for example. we see everything differently, but it doesn't do anything more.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
good question. it shouldn't desync. if i doesn't change gameplay at all, it shouldn't desync. take texture hacks for example. we see everything differently, but it doesn't do anything more.
Actually, I've got to disagree. Technically, texture swapping is model swapping. I've replaced Falcon's green costume with Link's texture. He has the model of Link, but the movement of Falcon. However, the hitboxes have changed, but only for that costume slot. Ex.: Raptor boost only works at beginning of attack, Falcon Punch is impossible to hit with, even from close range.
So I think that it probably will desync. Unless the models are specifically designed to have the same hitboxes or they're really similar (Falcon with a goatee).

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
@Pharrox: I have seen many projects of this magnetude fail because of several different issues, with excuses ranging from "My computer failed, destroying everything I have," or even the person not showing up ever again on the internet. Believe me, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I think you should give your backups and source files to a few trusted people on here, just in case something happens. This monumental project is so close, and say something bad happens before you release it, all of your work is gone. If you give your source to someone else, though, and they think something has happened to you, after a while they can give your source to someone who can finish the project.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, by no means. I'm just merely making a suggestion, in case you have not already done so. It just seems like such a waste if all of this goes down the tubes for one reason or another.

Jigiba

Smash Rookie
@Pharrox: I have seen many projects of this magnetude fail because of several different issues, with excuses ranging from "My computer failed, destroying everything I have," or even the person not showing up ever again on the internet. Believe me, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I think you should give your backups and source files to a few trusted people on here, just in case something happens. This monumental project is so close, and say something bad happens before you release it, all of your work is gone. If you give your source to someone else, though, and they think something has happened to you, after a while they can give your source to someone who can finish the project.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, by no means. I'm just merely making a suggestion, in case you have not already done so. It just seems like such a waste if all of this goes down the tubes for one reason or another.

..I think if he may think his computer is messing up or w/e, he could email the files to himself using a alt email acc. That way, he wont accidentally give a person who shouldnt be trusted the files.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
..I think if he may think his computer is messing up or w/e, he could email the files to himself using a alt email acc. That way, he wont accidentally give a person who shouldnt be trusted the files.
This.

I think Pharrox should make a .zip with all you model hacking files and upload it onto MediaFire or Megaupload or something. Then, email the link to yourself just to be safe. I recommend uploading the .zip onto multiple sites just in case one of them removes the file or something.

The fate of the world rests in your hands, Pharrox.

bboynotbgirl

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I've got to disagree. Technically, texture swapping is model swapping. I've replaced Falcon's green costume with Link's texture. He has the model of Link, but the movement of Falcon. However, the hitboxes have changed, but only for that costume slot. Ex.: Raptor boost only works at beginning of attack, Falcon Punch is impossible to hit with, even from close range.
So I think that it probably will desync. Unless the models are specifically designed to have the same hitboxes or they're really similar (Falcon with a goatee).
that is exactly what made me ask the question. i got that link texture for falcon and i saw that even though it was just a texture change it would desync because all the hitboxes were "off." but say if we had a model and fixed it so the hitboxes were that of the original replacement character, could it prevent a desync? like fixing falcons hitboxes for the falcon texture.

EDIT: just realized that you said what i suggested

Plasmakirby1

Smash Journeyman
isn't texture SWAPPING different from texture HACKING?

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
isn't texture SWAPPING different from texture HACKING?
Yes, but technically, it's model hacking.

As in, I get FitLink00.pcs and rename it to FitCaptain00.pcs and put it in the Captain folder. Captain Falcon now looks just like Link, but with Falcon's moves. I've given him a different model and a different texture.

In regular texture hacking, you just change the texture and put it on the right character.

However, we can't do much with texture swapping because of how incredibly glitchy it is. Link to Falcon is just a really lucky situation where none of the moves freeze. Also, just by swapping, we can't use characters that aren't already playable.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
it's like moveswapping

it's loading one characters data on another, that includes the model, attacks (with the correct file, i believe), and texture. its just as unstable as regular code moveswapping, but sometimes fullfills requirements certain moveswaps needed or else they would freeze the character or game on particular movements, attacks or loading

textureswapping (via code) is pretty stable, but it still puts files on characters in places that they don't necessarily use

texture hacking simply changes how the textures look and is completely stable if compiled correctly

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
However, we can't do much with texture swapping because of how incredibly glitchy it is. Link to Falcon is just a really lucky situation where none of the moves freeze. Also, just by swapping, we can't use characters that aren't already playable.
Would it be possible to change the character id that a menu icon loads (EX. link Loads CF) and have it completely boot up another captain falcon(model, texture, moveset,ect)?

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Would it be possible to change the character id that a menu icon loads (EX. link Loads CF) and have it completely boot up another captain falcon(model, texture, moveset,ect)?
I wouldn't know, but I don't think so. Well, maybe. Maybe if I take a FitCaptain.pac, FitCaptain00.pcs (and .pac), and the rest and put it in say, Link's folder, I could replace Link with Captain Falcon. Then, I suppose it might be possible to use two different Falcon PSA's against eachother. Though one will have Link's voice and animations... But lets leave that to animation hacking.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Actually, I think it might be possible to replace Link completely with Falcon if we just get an ISO and copy and paste absolutely everything from the Captain folder over to the Link folder (and rename them). Hopefully. I'd love to replace Sonic with Mewtwo and finally have Lucario v.s. Mewtwo.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think it might be possible to replace Link completely with Falcon if we just get an ISO and copy and paste absolutely everything from the Captain folder over to the Link folder (and rename them). Hopefully. I'd love to replace Sonic with Mewtwo and finally have Lucario v.s. Mewtwo.
Dont bother, i already tried, i meant to post this earlier though i didnt get the chance, sound effects wont work, articles wont generate, and the game can freeze if certain things dont exist (ex Mario doesnt crawl, and since i overrote him on pikachu, the game thought he could and froze becuase it didnt have an animation)

The best way to put it is that the game thought it was still Pikachu.

Mabye a few codes could fix it though one the could change a character id that loaded from a menu to load from a completely seperate partition would be optimal. only difference bewtween what i just said and almas's clone engine is that this would load pikachu from the BP folder when you select olimar

Smash Ace
But see, link has a different bone set to falcon (thus the freezing), so when we change models, we have to use the same boneset as the character being replaced and since animation bone points overwrite the t pose ones, it will be just like falcon, but with a different model.

It wont desync, unless we have different bones. The reason is because hitboxes and GFX are attached to bones sometimes.

Smash Ace
IM having a nightmare rigging ridley, since i cant change the size of any of charizards bones, this is hellish, so many bones. I think im gonna move all of the useless bones off to the side and move them to 0,0,0 when im done. This is proving to be worse than i thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom