• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

BSP

Smash Legend
How frequently do you guys practice? By you guys, I'm referring to tournament goers. And can you describe your "practice"?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
How is Tekken not a relevant fighting game when the top Tekken players are winning thousands @ MLG?

the MLG I went to (columbus) was an INTERNATIONAL tourney for them. and they had less then 80 people. that was a smash regional/national, and we had 250 people and apparently smash isnt even a "real" fighting game. lol.

not to mention the actual mechanics of the game, are stupid and ignorant just like the people who play it. Trust me, Im talking from experience.

Sliq

Smash Master

the MLG I went to (columbus) was an INTERNATIONAL tourney for them. and they had less then 80 people. that was a smash regional/national, and we had 250 people and apparently smash isnt even a "real" fighting game. lol.

not to mention the actual mechanics of the game, are stupid and ignorant just like the people who play it. Trust me, Im talking from experience.
I think we should listen to him. The man has 12,000 posts for Christ's sake.

How frequently do you guys practice? By you guys, I'm referring to tournament goers. And can you describe your "practice"?
When I went to tournaments, I never practiced because I didn't have the time due to school. I only performed as well as I did from my Melee experience.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
In my prime, I would practice every day by sparring with my crew. I would also go to training mode once a month for hours. I would also take a week off, every two months, to shake out all the bugs. Retrospectively, a few days off, every other week, would've probably been better.

And, they're still sponsered, make thousands of dollars, HAVE an international scene, etc.

Smash and Street Fighter are ON TOP in terms of a competitive scene. Just because you're game is not either of these two games, it doesn't make you irrelevant.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
Some questions on stale moves:

1.This might be a little hard to word right but hopefully someone gets what I mean. If I connect a hit with an item spawned by my enemy, how does it enter my stale move cue? Lets say I'm fighting Diddy and I pick up a banana and hit him with it. Lets say that I'm Peach. Now when this enters the stale moves list does it enter specifically just as 'bananas' or would it enter as 'downB moves'. This might sound silly but I ask it because that's how it works in melee(In melee if I'm Captain Falcon and I powershield falco's laser back at him, it will stale my falcon punch).

2. What if I have my move reflected or absorbed? Does it stale for me? Does it stale for my opponent if I get hit by it and if it does, does it enter the stale list in the same way I was talking about in my first question?

ie: Snake's jab combo can be done with three taps, or holding A down. The first method stales jab three times while holding A down stales it once despite all three hits connecting.
If this is true, does it effect the knockback/damage at the end of the jab? Will the opponent go farther if I hold it down as opposed to tapping 3 times?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Wow that's really pushing it !
1-dunno, gotta try it.
2-reflected/absorbed/shielded moves don't add in the SML, because they haven't connected with a hurtbox.
3-theoretically yes, tapping your jabs would stale the last hit. Now concretely it's still something you should test to confirm.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im pretty sure that for the thrid question the jabs go into the stale move list as "jab 1, jab 2 and jab 3." so if you were playing ike and you hit somebody with the first 2 jabs 3 times before you hit with the last one, jab 3 would still do full damage and knockback because it didnt get staled from the other 6 jabs.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I answered that in the SmashLab weeks ago, I will copy it in.

"Bombs count in the same way as any other projectile.

neither the reflector nor the projectile get on the stale list not even if the reflected projectile hit a third one.

If a move gets countered it counts as hitting an invincible enemy so it doesn't count for the stale list."

"If you catch the bomb you are the owner from that moment on and if you hit yourself with a bomb the bomb doesn't get a place on the stale list because if you hit yourself the attack doesn't get on the stale list.

same applies to grenades. (grenade touch and grenade explode are 2 different moves on the list)"

it would count as "banana" or "turnip" not as the inputted move.

to 3:
Thats not true, all 3 Jabs are different moves on the stale move list.

BearClaw

Smash Rookie
how do I get good at this game my roommate is really really good and it's annoying, I want to beat him!!

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
I dont quite know where to ask this but does anyone the images for footstool hurtboxes? I hear rob's is pretty big but I really want to know more about this.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I don't suppose the first page can be updated with threads that are like a
general guide to mind-games/reading, if there any such threads?

I didn't see anything like that offhand in the first post.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Controlstick sidewards (Dash), instantly afterwards or in run C-Stick down (Dash Attack), Controlstick Upwards + Attack (you can use the Grab button -Z- as well but this shrinks your time window to do it)

Nestec

Smash Ace
Thanks.

So can C-Stick be used for the "Attack" part? And would I have to press it upwards?

Yikarur

Smash Master
I wouldn't use the C-Stick, you need to use C-Stick Down for an instant dash attack. ("need" means almost everybody does is like this because any other way is not really comfortable)

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hello everyone!

I come from the 64 version, so I'm a bit lost seeing so many subsections lol. And I apologize if this is not the appropriate thread.

So I was wondering, is there any guide or tutorial to start off with? Because I don't know what advance techs exist in brawl or what character is easier to use or anything.

Thanks in advance!

ChakramStrike

Smash Rookie
is this air camping or stalling. how would a TO call this. please watch this game and give me an opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp5c7ZaTcM
I don't know how a TO would call it, but that last bit looked pretty campy to me.

I know my way around Jigglypuff, and that one was completely ignoring opportunities to seize that last stock. More Pound, more grabs, more dash attacks. A f-air or a well-timed u-smash and he's out of there. Seems better than leaving the last 40 seconds to the clock.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
is this air camping or stalling. how would a TO call this. please watch this game and give me an opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp5c7ZaTcM
That was most definitely air camping. Not stalling.

Outside of Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape glitch, everything in this game is "camping" and not stalling. Possible controversies include planking and scrooging, but even those are technically "maintaining an advantageous position"; neither of which the Jigglypuff did.

It wasn't even good camping. It barely won by like 10% at high percent, lol.

D

Deleted member

That was definately camping, you can run away theres nothing illegal about that. He could have camped much harder lol. Besides the mario couldve easily stopped him he just did dumb stuff.

That mario was so bad looool why would he dash attack a shield after he had a 1% lead. Just grab the ledge and stall XD

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
how does one deal with nerves?
First, I get away from my opponent. I then act as if the battle has just started, all the while remembering that being nervous is a natural bodily function and is possible to get out of. Fidgeting my hands around to aerate extra perspiration away, I try to regain control of the match.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
push through it, its the only thing you can do.

some people have headphones and play music so as not to be distracted tho.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
how does one deal with nerves?
Personal advice:
- distraction
- dropping the "you have to win" mentality
- support

Of course this is all outside of the game, but it's what I've personally found effective. At the same time though, I usually play better when nervous anyway. :p

When I mean distraction, I mean literally taking yourself out of the tournament environment as well as mentally distracting yourself. Thoughts like "omg I have to play M2Haze next" are kinda pressuring, so I try to take time in-between my matches to go outside and read a newspaper, sometimes there are Rockband and DDR set-ups that I take advantage of. I just try to get back to the prime reason I'm at the tournament in the first place: to have fun. So some relaxation works in my case.

Another mentality I've adopted that I've found incredibly effective is dropping the "I have to win" mindset; I've switched over to "I'm going to make this game incredibly difficult for my opponent". Now, while this might seem counter-intuitive, it's removed so much crap from my mind while playing. The thing is, the "I have to win" mindset has a pretty severe flaw: a lot of times you aren't winning. This forces you to think about losing - which brings nervousness, panic, fear, and even the lethal feeling of defeat. Once you think "What am I going to CP?", you've already lost. And all from a focus on the necessity to win.

The switch to "I'm going to make this game incredibly difficult for my opponent" is great because it unburdens you from all the negativity listed above. Down a stock? Being comboed? High percent? That's cool. The mentality here doesn't even consider how the match will end - it only considers what's going in that moment, which I feel is entirely what needs focus.

Not to say the "I need to win" mindset should be dropped - it does offer a lot of drive, and could fuel a risky-yet-game-changing decision at times, but I feel the latter is a much better overall mental approach to the game.

Support means: have groupies.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
First, I get away from my opponent. I then act as if the battle has just started, all the while remembering that being nervous is a natural bodily function and is possible to get out of. Fidgeting my hands around to aerate extra perspiration away, I try to regain control of the match.
push through it, its the only thing you can do.

some people have headphones and play music so as not to be distracted tho.
Personal advice:
- distraction
- dropping the "you have to win" mentality
- support

Of course this is all outside of the game, but it's what I've personally found effective. At the same time though, I usually play better when nervous anyway. :p

When I mean distraction, I mean literally taking yourself out of the tournament environment as well as mentally distracting yourself. Thoughts like "omg I have to play M2Haze next" are kinda pressuring, so I try to take time in-between my matches to go outside and read a newspaper, sometimes there are Rockband and DDR set-ups that I take advantage of. I just try to get back to the prime reason I'm at the tournament in the first place: to have fun. So some relaxation works in my case.

Another mentality I've adopted that I've found incredibly effective is dropping the "I have to win" mindset; I've switched over to "I'm going to make this game incredibly difficult for my opponent". Now, while this might seem counter-intuitive, it's removed so much crap from my mind while playing. The thing is, the "I have to win" mindset has a pretty severe flaw: a lot of times you aren't winning. This forces you to think about losing - which brings nervousness, panic, fear, and even the lethal feeling of defeat. Once you think "What am I going to CP?", you've already lost. And all from a focus on the necessity to win.

The switch to "I'm going to make this game incredibly difficult for my opponent" is great because it unburdens you from all the negativity listed above. Down a stock? Being comboed? High percent? That's cool. The mentality here doesn't even consider how the match will end - it only considers what's going in that moment, which I feel is entirely what needs focus.

Not to say the "I need to win" mindset should be dropped - it does offer a lot of drive, and could fuel a risky-yet-game-changing decision at times, but I feel the latter is a much better overall mental approach to the game.

Support means: have groupies.
woah awesome thanks for the hints guys

ill try all of these things !!

thanks again X3

Browny

Smash Hater
Anyone know the formula for how much knockback is applied if you are hit while charging a smash attack?

I know you take more knockback, but after my MK glide attack killed pikachu standing on the ledge of BF at 89% off the top while he DI'd it properly (away from me) I think this had more to do with the fact his fsmash was almost fully charged when I hit, than simply a constant extra knockback factor :/

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I remember there being a special glidetoss with the grounded [toss away] animation with the beam sword/bat/lipstick etc.

can't find the old AT thread :> anyone have a video/method on how to do the above.. thing?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You mean by pressing Z for the glidetoss where they just throw it away while you glide?

Callahan

Smash Rookie
so i've had brawl a long time and never got into competitive brawling till recently. There's a local tournament going on soon and I've been trying to be on the top of my game. I've read countless threads and I believe I've learned some stuff so I only need to know a few things.

First off, when playing doubles(or teams), do the characters really matter? Are there bad collaborations? Is it all just based on the skill and teamwork of the one playing? Sorry if there is a thread on this, I couldn't find one and I didn't think it would hurt to ask here.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Attacks on shield do not refresh, correct?

Does anyone have any kind of reference for that as well?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
correct meno.

I have no proof but i know its true that you have to contact a hurtbox (characters, statues on siege, walls on brinstar, waddles) to stale your moves.

Top Bottom