• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Custom Music Hub: Archiving all the music in one place!

moosehunter

Smash Ace
No, it's usually Segtendo. That example was Segtendo.

Segtendo, you need to be more selective in the stuff you let in.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
You're not just going through the list and blindlessly clicking "Approve" are you, Seggy? <_< :p I mean, remember how you let a whole load of E to S loops? XD
AFAIK, there are two main things you need to look out for. If the song is loopable, then they MUST be looped (i.e. E to S loops of game music shouldn't be accepted), and also, the quality. If the quality sounds awful, like it's been converted from a 240p video, and then compressed even more to something like 64 kbps MP3, and then uploaded at 16000 Hz, or something, then ... it should be rejected.
Any one who is making BRSTMS, do NOT ever use a YouTube to MP3 converter. The only use of YouTube that should be acceptable, is if the video is 720p or higher, and you use 'www.saveyoutube.com' (just type the word 'save' before 'youtube' in the URL of the video you want to convert), and convert to the one that says MP4 (720p) or MP4 (1080p), that way, you'll end up with an MPEG-4 AAC LC file, at 126 kbps variable. This is comparable to a 256 kbps MP3 to an everyday listener (while not technically the same, just how it generally sounds in terms of quality).

soneek

Smash Ace
And soneek, what's up with these Kingdom Hearts brstms? They've been processed into oblivion. Where did you get the source files from?

http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/temporarycrap/omg.png
O_O

WAVs converted from PSF2s and then "cleaned up" through Audition. I must've changed one of the settings through the whole process without noticing. You guys aren't able to remove stuff that's already been approved?

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
No, it's usually Segtendo. That example was Segtendo.

Segtendo, you need to be more selective in the stuff you let in.
I know...

You're not just going through the list and blindlessly clicking "Approve" are you, Seggy? <_< :p I mean, remember how you let a whole load of E to S loops? XD
I usually approve "E to S" songs since they need no loop.
AFAIK, there are two main things you need to look out for. If the song is loopable, then they MUST be looped (i.e. E to S loops of game music shouldn't be accepted), and also, the quality.
So stuff like this shouldn't be accepted even if it completes a game rip?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
You missed "if it can be looped"

Boktai's "Boktai" sounds a ton like it can be looped, but inspection brings us to the conclusion it doesn't have a loop point.

moosehunter

Smash Ace
It's not enough to check if it has a good loop, if the quality is bad, it shouldn't be accepted.

O_O

WAVs converted from PSF2s and then "cleaned up" through Audition. I must've changed one of the settings through the whole process without noticing. You guys aren't able to remove stuff that's already been approved?
I don't know how you cleaned them up, but some were like that example I showed, and all of them were really different from the ost/psf2 files.

soneek

Smash Ace
I don't know how you cleaned them up, but some were like that example I showed, and all of them were really different from the ost/psf2 files.
I see. I'll re-convert the PSF2s and test these in Brawl. Thanks for addressing it.

Edit: I'll try out the FLACs also.

:phone:

moosehunter

Smash Ace
Well, I just looked at the psf files for one winged angel, and the psf was kinda funky. Here's an example with your upload, the file from the ost, and the psf file.
http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/temporarycrap/omg2.png
As you can see, the psf waveform is pretty much a solid wall. In the case of this game, I would probably stick with the ost because it sounds better.I f you didn't already know, you can find a link to it in ffshrine's lossless video game thread.

soneek

Smash Ace
Well, I just looked at the psf files for one winged angel, and the psf was kinda funky. Here's an example with your upload, the file from the ost, and the psf file.
http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/temporarycrap/omg2.png
As you can see, the psf waveform is pretty much a solid wall. In the case of this game, I would probably stick with the ost because it sounds better.I f you didn't already know, you can find a link to it in ffshrine's lossless video game thread.
Yeah I looked and found KH1 there, and I'm still searching for KHII. I have the mp3 version, but I prefer the FLAC version.

Edit: Lol fail. I just realized the complete box has everything.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
I know...

I usually approve "E to S" songs since they need no loop.

So stuff like this shouldn't be accepted even if it completes a game rip?
You missed "if it can be looped"

Boktai's "Boktai" sounds a ton like it can be looped, but inspection brings us to the conclusion it doesn't have a loop point.
Precisely, if it can be looped. Although my wording may be confusing. I should have said, if it DOES loop. If the original song does NOT loop, such as the credits in Super Mario 64, then an E to S loop should be OK, however, an E to S of Bomberman 64 by SonicMario6464 whatever his name is, is not acceptable. As I said, somehow, you didn't just let one slip by, you somehow approved an entire soundtrack of "E to S" BRSTMs of looping video game music.

Covarr

Smash Cadet
I myself am guilty of some less-than-stellar quality uploads, but usually of stuff so obscure that a better quality source isn't even remotely available. A good example would be the Good Eats theme, where the only copy on all the internets, as far as I can tell, is in a .mov file on the artist's website.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
Generally, I usually make custom loops of non-looping songs, such as what I've uploaded for Black Ops. As you know, if you've seen any previous posts in this topic about it, I don't simply look for loop points, I actually create them, by simply (in terms of typing it <_<) finding a part in the song that I want to be the start of the loop, and then, rather than simply pasting it at the very last part of the song, just as it fades out, like this:
[ending][fade-out] -BEFORE
[ending][new loop] -AFTER
Instead, I over lap, so, it's like this:
[ending][fade-out]
............[new loop]

moosehunter

Smash Ace
Generally, I usually make custom loops of non-looping songs, such as what I've uploaded for Black Ops. As you know, if you've seen any previous posts in this topic about it, I don't simply look for loop points, I actually create them, by simply (in terms of typing it <_<) finding a part in the song that I want to be the start of the loop, and then, rather than simply pasting it at the very last part of the song, just as it fades out, like this:
[ending][fade-out] -BEFORE
[ending][new loop] -AFTER
Instead, I over lap, so, it's like this:
[ending][fade-out]
............[new loop]
But you usually have to copy/paste parts from the middle of the song to make it sound good, sometimes more than once.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
No, what I do is, in Audacity, have the entire song:
[really awesome song from Black Ops|fade-out]

Then, I decide on a loop start point, which I'll represent with a red line, for example:
[really aw|esome song from Black Ops|fade-out]

Then I copy everything after that, and have it over-lapping with the fade-out, so what you get is this:
[really awesome so|ng from Black Ops|fade-out]
.......................................................|wesome so|ng from Black Ops|fade-out]
Then, I can just loop it normally -- and I have put 2 green lines to show an example of how you can easily find loop points.

The reason why the actual loop would be later than the red line, is because obviously the fade out of the original song would suddenly cut off, so you'd have to wait for the fade out of the original track to completely finish.

Listen to this, for example:
http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/13412?autoplay

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
Can I just remind people about what a "Custom Loop" is?
If you take a song from a game, such as, for example, Cave Dungeon from Super Mario 64, the original song naturally loops, therefore, the type of loop you should select is "Normal", not "Custom". Custom refers to the loop itself, NOT where the loop is, i.e. if the actual loop points are custom loop points that you found yourself, that is NOT what a Custom Loop is.

In short, if the original song loops, it's a normal looping song. Just because the WAV or MP3 source doesn't loop, doesn't mean the loop should be custom. The "song naturally loops" refers to the fact that it loops in the game that it is featured, if that makes sense, such as in the example.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
For Iji songs, they actually stop in-game, so I used custom loops on all of them except Seven Four, because the pause is actually pretty cool and feels natural on it.

soneek

Smash Ace
One Winged Angel is in the pending updates. This one sounded good ingame, but I'll hold off on the other songs for now.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
For Iji songs, they actually stop in-game, so I used custom loops on all of them except Seven Four, because the pause is actually pretty cool and feels natural on it.
My point. If it stops in-game, such as Sonic CD, or the PC/Saturn versions of Sonic 3D Blast, then a custom loop would be best, however, an E to S, would be acceptable, I believe. The only reason E to S would not be acceptable, would be if the original song loops in the game, such as er... 99% of all music in video games.

soneek

Smash Ace
Hey everyone, I'd like your input on something. If you've played Kingdom Hearts II, then

you know that the music in Timeless River sounds like it came out of a 30's movie, to match up with the retro black and white setting. I did some editing on it, and it sounds a lot more like a regular song, instead of a low quality one out of an old movie.

Enhanced Songs

They're in both MP3 and FLAC. I need your opinions on whether or not these are more suited for Brawl, and if both versions should be converted. Here are videos of the originals for comparison.

Monochrome Dreams Original
Old Friends, Old Rivals Original

moosehunter

Smash Ace
Personally I'd prefer the unprocessed files, and that goes for the other KH2 stuff you uploaded too, but that's just me. Anybody else have any input?

soneek

Smash Ace
Personally I'd prefer the unprocessed files, and that goes for the other KH2 stuff you uploaded too, but that's just me. Anybody else have any input?
It's just that the songs from the soundtrack sounded a lot weaker to me than the actual music from the game. It was the same case when I compared the Soul Calibur 3 soundtrack to the ADX files, so I went with the latter.

The only thing with KH2 is that the only music I was able to actually rip were Gummi Ship course themes, along with some other stuff. I had no luck finding any rips of all of the songs besides the PSF2s. The PSF2s are weird as we found out the other day, but some small changes to the soundtrack versions sound a lot better, and more like they came directly from the game.

I can send you some of the stuff I'm editing right now if you want to see what I mean.

soneek

Smash Ace
I think I'll just leave the KH2 songs as is and not worry about trying to change the quality. I'm fixing up the Soul Calibur 4 rip for now by recording the vgmstream playback. So far it's looking good, but I'll do an update or two in a bit.

dit: I ended up manually mixing the channels down from 6 to 2 instead of letting BCSM do it for the Destiny Will Tell update. It definitely worked much better this time. The only thing I came across ingame was that it needed to be slightly louder. I'll re-up the others at some point this week.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Once I finish finding loop points for the uploaded Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 themes, I'll upload them to the MvC3 section and rename MvC3.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I hope this is the right place to post since the guides are all in here and whatnot.

So I tried my hand at making just regular looped songs and I think I"m getting that down minus the volume. I've been dabbling with volume and think having the brstm at 98 db works well. Pretty much the question is what db level is ideal for brstms? Should those sound wave zig zag lines (not sure what they're called, lol) reach the top and bottom of the bar in Goldwave?

Thanks a lot, guys! And by the way, that guide was really helpful thanks!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I hope this is the right place to post since the guides are all in here and whatnot.

So I tried my hand at making just regular looped songs and I think I"m getting that down minus the volume. I've been dabbling with volume and think having the brstm at 98 db works well. Pretty much the question is what db level is ideal for brstms? Should those sound wave zig zag lines (not sure what they're called, lol) reach the top and bottom of the bar in Goldwave?

Thanks a lot, guys! And by the way, that guide was really helpful thanks!
Yes, they should reach or nearly reach the top and bottom of the bar. Regardless of the song, that indicates that it'll be loud in-game. Some songs will be louder than others, naturally, but making sure the song is loud enough so it reaches the top and bottom of the bar will help.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Okay, I gotcha. Not sure if I did a very good job, plus it's a Normal Loop. Still a little confused with the Custom Loop, haha.

Here's a sample :x

Valkyrie Profile 2 - In Order to Acquire the Light in that Hand by Courier DEMO

Song title's a doozy :(
Custom Loops occur when a song doesn't normally loop seamlessly, but you still find a loop point that isn't Start->End. This happens when a song repeats at a point, but the repeated portion of the song is different in some way...hope that helps

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, exactly. For example, if you did a BRSTM of Cave Dungeon from Super Mario 64 (the one that plays in Hazy Maze Cave, Wet-Dry World, etc), that'd be a "Normal Loop". If you did a looping BRSTM of something like "Friday" by Rebecca Black, then it'd be a "Custom Loop" (if it was a seamless loop), however, in addition, you'd also need to prepare some flame shields.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Yeah, exactly. For example, if you did a BRSTM of Cave Dungeon from Super Mario 64 (the one that plays in Hazy Maze Cave, Wet-Dry World, etc), that'd be a "Normal Loop". If you did a looping BRSTM of something like "Friday" by Rebecca Black, then it'd be a "Custom Loop" (if it was a seamless loop), however, in addition, you'd also need to prepare some flame shields.
:laugh: at flame shields

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I just turned down 3 "E to S" BRSTMs for the same reason: "Needs a custom loop"

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Flame Shields... You want it ?
Come back with your credit card on this stage, bee-yotch : :fdb:

EDIT : I had the original picture, but the link of it contained "@$$", which is censored by Smashboards :(

Speaking of E to S loop, I've uploaded this.

Top Bottom