• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Can Combo (A Demonstrational Video)

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
My First Brawl debut and decided to do something alittle different other than post matches, so I created this demo video. I got the idea of making this video to maybe stop some controversy between brawl and melee players. I really feel that brawl has potential but is still being tapped into. I tried to use as many different characters that I possibly could to hopefully give an idea to all players that there's potential there. Well anyways here it goes, hope you guys enjoy: ^_^

Brawl Can Combo (A Demonstrational Video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnmwYSZBi2w

orintemple

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm not gonna say you don't have skills, cause you do. You are very... quick. Your gameplay is some of the most impressive looking I've seen. It is actually FUN to watch, which is hard to say about most Brawl matches.

1 issue though. I can't say this for sure, because it is just a video after all, but your opponents didn't seem very good. At times it was like they just downright sucked. Obviously I don't know if this is true or not, but that is what it seemed the way you wailed on them without any retaliation on their part.

I will still stand by the fact that Brawl lacks "real" combos. ou can not string moves together on hit stun alone, except for a few occasions. Bad DI is the cause of most "combos" in Brawl, and the same seemed to stand here.

But overall I will not hate. Watching your gameplay was actually interesting, so I will give you props. It has inspired me in some way, if only to practice my "never stop moving" abilities, which you seem very skilled at.

Lol at above post

In b4 Yuna says what I said in a much blunter, harsher way.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
I really enjoyed watching that. Props to your Mario and Samus demos.

Let the winds of change blow. :)

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
The world needs to watch this video.

I've already discovered that combos are still in Brawl but everyone still needs to watch this; for those who don't know about Brawl's combos, it'll help them understand, and even those who do because this video is still great and fun to watch.

And the reason I understand why combos are in Brawl is because I now I understand the mindgames involved in gameplay. Tha Shogun is absolutely right in this video. And for anyone who says, well it could have been DI out of or airdodged, yea, many things can be DI away from and many things can't, but even if it was DI away from, the other guy can still quickly run up to you and continue chaining his attacks, because that's what it's all about.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Bravo, I enjoyed the video.

There are quiet a few "standardized" combos in brawl, aka combos that always link together. If you compare them to the melee standardzied combos, it's not nearly as cool looking or impressive.

This is where things get different, for better or for worse. Brawl "combos" require alot of reading of your opponent to link attacks. There is no muscle memory button memorization that once you start X move it will lead into Y and Z effortlessly. You have to wing it as you go, and react to your opponent as you go, and you will make some beautiful combos. Melee had this too of course, and they were far more impressive than the standardized stuff.

Ex.
Standardized melee: waveshinning with fox, character dependant, you can mix it up with dairs, but in the end, it is a guaranteed chain of attacks, followed with an upsmash.

Standardized brawl: ic's climbers has alot of chainned attacks, there are a few characters like squirtle that can chain uptilts to like 60-70% damage. Fancy level is meh, sparing IC's who actually look pretty cool.

Go with the flow melee: falcon was one of the most amusing characters to do this with, because whether your techchasing or reading aerial movement, you are predicting their next move which will allow you to react properly and continue the combo.

Go with the flow melee: going to have to use trainer again since its my main. Ivysaur can nair-utiltx2-uair. The uair is dependant on whether they airdodge, meaning you have to read them. If you read them you can uair to up+b or another uair maybe. Again not nearly as cool looking as melee, but you gotta accept that.

VacantShadow

Smash Cadet
The only thing I hate about Brawl, is the fact that they had to make my favorite character trash, Ganondorf. You can't combo with him no matter how hard you try, only if your opponent is a sitting duck, which most aren't. I have no doubts that Brawl can have combos though, considering I've done some sick ones myself with MK and Marth. I just wish I could actually enjoy using Ganondorf, unless I'm missing something with him, I don't know.

Very good video though. Overall it was very entertaining.

boss8

Smash Hero
The only thing I hate about Brawl, is the fact that they had to make my favorite character trash, Ganondorf. You can't combo with him no matter how hard you try, only if your opponent is a sitting duck, which most aren't. I have no doubts that Brawl can have combos though, considering I've done some sick ones myself with MK and Marth. I just wish I could actually enjoy using Ganondorf, unless I'm missing something with him, I don't know.

Very good video though. Overall it was very entertaining.
ummmmmm did u say ganondorf suxks now?????

have u watch lee??? or G-regulate????

there ganons make snake look like low tier material...

anyways SHOGUN!!! aint heard from u since january...nice vid homie...sick mario...needs to get some dittos in..

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Everyone says they can be gotten out of, but there's a difference between watching and going "Oh yeah at that point I would have done this and that" and actually being in the match. Spectating vs participating. Big difference.

Yes Brawl doesn't really have combos like Melee does, but Melee just had set combos. Brawl is more about picking your spots and capitalizing on opportunities, which can prove amazing results.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I'm only at the start of the vid, I'll edit in more responses when I finish, but first off:
<3 Shogun, mah mid-south samus brotha from anotha motha, and hells yeah at using the ED from NHK.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
now, if this were released as some Brawl Exhibition, or something of that nature, that would have actually been a good video (and it is a good video).

But a "demo vid show that you can combo in brawl"? Um... why is it that only in the Smash community is tech chasing considered comboing?

Dont get me wrong, the vid had a few combos. A small few. But most of it was just bad decisions, which you can see since people try to attack and eat some move because of bad startup lag.

So yeah, i saw a buncha consecutive hits, but combos? Uh... not unless they watered down the definition of combos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combo_(computer_and_video_games)
In fighting games, combo specifically indicates a timed sequence of moves which produce a cohesive series of hits. The combo requires that an initial hit connects. This hit is then followed by an often predetermined sequence of other hits, each of which leaves the opponent unable or almost unable to blockgame design, a combo can have a final, sometimes special, hit or be infinite, limited only by the player's skill, patience or finger dexterity. In some cases, each additional hit has an increasing negative modifier, in order to balance gameplay, for example SNK's or otherwise avoid the following hit(s) in the sequence. Depending on the The Last Blade or Sammy's Guilty Gear series.

Yes it says almost, there's always almost, but lets be real. If you have enough time to get the start up of a f.air, you have much more time to hit the r button.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
Wait, wait, wait, now I am confused. People have claimed that there are ABSOLUTELY NO COMBOS in this game. NOW, people say that there are "combos that always link" and "that there were some combos" in the video.

Uh, contradiction much? :S

Anyway, that was a good video, I am jealous of the Mario and C. Falcon stuff. Nice job. :)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Wait, wait, wait, now I am confused. People have claimed that there are ABSOLUTELY NO COMBOS in this game. NOW, people say that there are "combos that always link" and "that there were some combos" in the video.

Uh, contradiction much? :S
something simple like deep b.air to -something-, or fox d.air to -moveset lol-, is a combo yes. Not really impressive, but combos never the less.

But somebody TECHROLLING INTO A CHARGESHOT has never been a combo. Somebody who opts to f.air instead of airdodge, is not a combo.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
It was in Melee sometimes. Downthrow Sheik at around 80+%, wavedash back, chargeshot hits all 4 of her tech options.
<3 Dogy
that's tech chasing and you know it.
IM SORRY YOU CHOSE TO PLAY A CHARACTER THAT CAN ONLY COMBO BY SHOOTING 2 PROJECTILES.

I wish i'da played that character instead of a fat plumber with stubby limbs. XD

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
While what you are saying is partly true...I wish I could play mario like that...very very impressive stuff...it feels like though if you admit that you like brawl, all of the purists try to water down your skills...either way...some of that stuff was hella impressive.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Wow... This video makes me start thinking out of the melee box and O_o

Only one complaint :D

"For 5 years Super Smash Bros. Melee has bee labled one of the most technical and skilled games ever created."

Who ranked it most technical? I have to saw Gunz the Duel is way more technical then smash.

Other then that, amazing video. 5 stared and faved :)

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Firstly, Dogy! Why haven't you been to Tally in ages, we can still bust out melee if you don't want my Olimar smoking you.

2nd- Sorry, That vid just added flames to the fire that says the game just isn't as good as melee was. I'm sorry I know mario was sick, but Green Mario is just nastier than anything in Brawl and Melee.

boss8

Smash Hero
Wow... This video makes me start thinking out of the melee box and O_o

Only one complaint :D

"For 5 years Super Smash Bros. Melee has bee labled one of the most technical and skilled games ever created."

Who ranked it most technical? I have to saw Gunz the Duel is way more technical then smash.

Other then that, amazing video. 5 stared and faved :)
Gunz is not more technical then melee....

all u hafe to do is KS....Butterfly....switch shoot......wall stall....etc sry gunz isn't.

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
This video has more text than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, my brain hurts.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
anyways SHOGUN!!! aint heard from u since january
Yea school was really busy this semester so I didn't have to much time to post too much of anything lol.

Thanks everyone for the love, I just hope this vid can inspire people to try new things/figure stuff out.

Oh yea Doggy Samich you right about the combo thing, I guess what makes smashers different from others is cause we have a different way of seeing things, which isn't always a bad thing lol. Combos in Melee and Brawl (more in Brawl) can be broken out of them at one point or time but we still call them combos instead of consecutive hits. Lol, I dunno maybe it just sounds cooler, it wouldn't have the same effect if it was called "Brawl Can Consecutively hit your opponent mindgame after mindgame if done right (A demonstrational video)" or "Super Mario Madness (A Mario Consecutive Video)" lol.

VacantShadow

Smash Cadet
ummmmmm did u say ganondorf suxks now?????

have u watch lee??? or G-regulate????

there ganons make snake look like low tier material...

anyways SHOGUN!!! aint heard from u since january...nice vid homie...sick mario...needs to get some dittos in..
I haven't seen a single video worth watching with Ganondorf yet, and I've searched. If you could direct me, that'd be awesome. :)

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Yes Brawl doesn't really have combos like Melee does, but Melee just had set combos. Brawl is more about picking your spots and capitalizing on opportunities, which can prove amazing results.
I'm Melee falcon and I Shuair you at 40%. I have at least 3 options depending on which direction you DI in, and even more if there are any platforms around.

I do the same in brawl. I have 1 option.

In terms of basic playstyle, Brawl is a much more linear game than Melee ever was. What gets me is that you say "Melee just had set combos" yet combo videos don't have the same combos going through 10 mins of video.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
horrible quality
What the hell are you talking about? Did you even watch it until this capture card parts or did you just "assume" that the video would be in that form the whole video.

If you did watch it all, try setting your quality thing on youtube to high. If you did that then your way to picky >_>

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
Ggs sho, I don't know how you do it but you are truly amazing. @Everyone in this thread, this is how you make a point. He spoke with his skill and action, something scrbs are not born with or obtain. I think that if you are not commenting this great man you shouldn't post. :093:

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
uh, to the people who are comparing "set" melee combos to "mindgame" brawl combos or whatever you want to call them... well, despite the fact that both existed in melee, but whatever... I think the significance of having only mindgame combos is fairly large, that should be obvious after watching the video but I guess it isn't.

so, did anyone even look at the lives and percentages of his opponents? It's almost consistently him at three lives and his opponent at one. I think it's pretty easy to mindgame people who probably don't even know how to DI. why not just combo the homerun bag if you're going to go out of your way to record matches against chumps?

seriously, entertaining video and good job for that. but proof that Brawl is more competitive than melee? not even maybe. pull it off against some decent players with some consistency and I'll take what I said back, but your "demonstration" is completely irrelevant since anyone can combo people who don't even know how to get out of a combo. I can combo my 4 year old nephew in his new dora the explorer action fighting game but what does that have to do with the games comboability? the problem is that it's easy to get out of combos if you're decent at all, not that it's easy to get out of combos if you've never played the game before. this video is irrelevant.
Whoa I think this whole post is irrelevant because of several things

Well for one I never said that Brawl was more competitive than Melee, I said I feel it could be played on competitive level but it's potential hasn't been tapped into yet. Just because some of the matches where 3 stock to 1 stock does not mean they are horrible players. In videos like this the opponent always look like they are horrible and looks like they don't know what they're doing, but I promise you that is not the case here. I will also say they are not extreme pro level (I don't think anybody is just extremely pro level yet becase game is still new) either. They do know the mechinics of DI I promise. I just wanted to show things that are possible but people are still figuring out. But yea, mindgames are very crucial in Brawl from what i've seen so far.

greenblob

Smash Lord
My main problem with this video: Melee was never considered a technical powerhouse. In fact, among the competitive fighting games, it was considered the least technical (or at least one of the least technical).

metroid1117

Smash Master
Good video; I enjoyed watching it a lot.

Just for the record, I have mixed feelings about Brawl's new punishment (NOT comboing) system; the reduced amount of hitstun requires you to read your opponent to successively get off hits, rather than getting off one hit and linking from there. While I'm sad that there are very few true combos in Brawl, it's interesting to see linked hits in Brawl combo videos; they are the product of successful reading and analyzing. Good job with that.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Good video; I enjoyed watching it a lot.

Just for the record, I have mixed feelings about Brawl's new punishment (NOT comboing) system; the reduced amount of hitstun requires you to read your opponent to successively get off hits, rather than getting off one hit and linking from there. While I'm sad that there are very few true combos in Brawl, it's interesting to see linked hits in Brawl combo videos; they are the product of successful reading and analyzing. Good job with that.
Thank you I appreciate it, but I think this vid will only hit the tip of the ice berg. I feel there will be more mind reading and more things that are gonna be found out. I just hope this vid can build a strong foundation for inspiration to find competitive stuff in Brawl. I a strong believer of giving this game time for more of the sexy stuff to be found out. ^_^

Top Bottom