• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl by the Numbers: Roster Size

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Touche. I'll lift the warning. But, please refrain from double posting, and think carefully about one liners.

Croco

Smash Lord
The characters he is revealing on DoJo might be the starters.. ;)
That might be why we haven't seen Snake or Meta Knight yet.. which are both most likely unlockables.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
There are 12 weeks left until Brawl is released in Japan, supposedly. There have been 17 characters unveiled on the Dojo. We can probably all agree that there will be around 22 starting characters. Now lets just assume Sakurai reveals all the starters first. If we take the 17 characters we have now, and add 5, we end up with 22. Now, we can also probably expect 2-3 unlockable veterans after the starting lineup, along with Snake and Meta Knight(assuming he's not a starter). That's already 10 weeks of non-spoiling updates on the Dojo. Let's tack on the fact that 3rd party companies wilk have their logos printed on the box anyway, so Sakurai might as well reveal 3rd parties before the game comes out to increase hype because any idiot would figure out Sonic is in in the game with the giant SEGA™ logo on the box...I guess you know that I'm hinting at 1-2 update weeks of third party bios.

So in conclusion:
-12 weeks until Brawl supposedly comes out in Japan and everything is leaked

-5 weeks could be spent on finishing the starting characters

-5 weeks could go to obvious unlockables like ganondorf, luigi, jigglypuff, snake, or metaknight

-2 weeks could go to the other Third Parties.

-All of this could be done without giant spoilers you wouldn't know by reading the instruction manual and having common sense.

falcofuku69

Smash Apprentice
i agree croco, i beleive that the reason snake and metaknight arnt on the dojo is because sakuri is leaving the unlockables to be discovered through the game. to me, this means that we wont learn about any 3rd party characters until after launch, or possibly you can only find them out through the game modes, im thinking either luigi, captain falcon, or falco are the next characters to be in an update. as you can probably tell from my name falco was my main

feelxmyxwrath

Smash Apprentice
Maybe wi-fi character add-ons

Ben Ten??!!! What's next? Zac and Cody playing like the ice climbers?!? On to the real subject. If they're too pushy Sakurai might add some character packs onto the shop channel... Actually he could make expansions (Might cost money though) Imagine new characters with a different story that doesn't conflict with the other characters. Each pack would come with around five characters. A new/old (with a different perspective) story, bundled together with around three stages and around 20 items. There could even be a Disney expansion...........J/K

Kinnikuman

Smash Cadet
Using my mathematic ways I know a character will be revealed tomorrow thursday or friday. My guess is CF on thursday. Thankyou and goodnight!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The characters he is revealing on DoJo might be the starters.. ;)
That might be why we haven't seen Snake or Meta Knight yet.. which are both most likely unlockables.
YOu could be right, but keep in mind Snake is a confirmed unlockable character, and Meta Knight could be a starter, though we don't know for sure. Maybe he's the final boss of the whole new Adventure mode [this world, and the subspace emissary/army]. But other than that, I agree, and that is great logic [as always] Croco. ;)

Also, TYVM Scav. ^_^ I guess that's wat you learn from Wiseguy's Brawl character prediction thread.

And with the 100 days til Brawl, I got a gut feeling it could be Sonic. It's not 100% positive he's even in the game, but this could very well be his moment to shine if he's in the game, and if not, some big gaming convention. Like E for all. As always, I could be wrong, and overanalyzing. But I have a question [idk the answer, btw]. Was anything big revelead 100/99 days prior to Melee's release=??? If there was, it's a safe bet we'll get something good. :p

And for the sig, just click the sig option on fast/advanced relpy PRINCESS PEACH 777. It's working for me, so I think it's working.

Edit: NO wi-fi earned secret characters, and downloadable content/expasion packs could happen. Halo's [1 for pc and 2 for the Xbox] have had both, SSB Brawl is the Wii's Halo the wii has the capabilities, and so the possibilities are open for Brawl in the future. However, it's available, a extra disc download would work best, since sooo many people don't have online, adn the Wii's online is a pain to say the least. Take it from Mii [haha!], I own one. ;)

Croco

Smash Lord
i agree croco, i beleive that the reason snake and metaknight arnt on the dojo is because sakuri is leaving the unlockables to be discovered through the game. to me, this means that we wont learn about any 3rd party characters until after launch, or possibly you can only find them out through the game modes, im thinking either luigi, captain falcon, or falco are the next characters to be in an update. as you can probably tell from my name falco was my main
Yep.. It could mean that he is saving it for after December third. So he might start revealing unlockable stages, characters, etc after the North American release date.

BTW.. Luigi will probably be a unlockable again. Ness and Captain Falcon might return as starters. Jigglypuff will be a unlockable again.. G&W & Mewtwo will be unlockable. Marth might be a unlockable if he returns..

So really I'm seeing Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers shown in the updates before December 3rd.

That could mean there are about 12-15 more starter newcomers.

I don't think he would show unlockable characters, stages, events, etc until after the release date.

Now about 3rd party..
It's possible that Konami might be the only 3rd party. Sega, Capcom, or whoever else might not be involved at all. That would mean we may only get 2-3 more Konami characters. (I don't want this to happen but it's possible)

Now on the other hand.. Nintendo might have a release party in NYC.. and could reveal the 2-3 other 3rd party companies on that day. With adding more excitement on the day of it's release.. the game might even sell more.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yep.. It could mean that he is saving it for after December third. So he might start revealing unlockable stages, characters, etc after the North American release date.

BTW.. Luigi will probably be a unlockable again. Ness and Captain Falcon might return as starters. Jigglypuff will be a unlockable again.. G&W & Mewtwo will be unlockable. Marth might be a unlockable if he returns..

So really I'm seeing Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers shown in the updates before December 3rd.

That could mean there are about 12-15 more starter newcomers.

I don't think he would show unlockable characters, stages, events, etc until after the release date.

Now about 3rd party..
It's possible that Konami might be the only 3rd party. Sega, Capcom, or whoever else might not be involved at all. That would mean we may only get 2-3 more Konami characters. (I don't want this to happen but it's possible)

Now on the other hand.. Nintendo might have a release party in NYC.. and could reveal the 2-3 other 3rd party companies on that day. With adding more excitement on the day of it's release.. the game might even sell more.
If anyone is revealed next [returney], my evidence show's it's either the Ice Climbers, Shiek Captain Falcon, or Ness. They're the last of the unconfirmed starters from SSB. The starters will be shown first [as proven=Sakurai hasn't done anything bold like deconfirming/confirming Pichu, G&W, or Doc], and showed the basics. Luigi also has a chance of a story mode appearance [to save peach], along with Link and Wind Waker Link. :) Then we'll probably see Jiggs, and Ness, and then the returning Melee secret characters. YAE! :)

BTW, good analysis, but your last comment isn't going to happen. If Sonic's announced to overshadow Halo, it'd be great for Nintendo. More publisity, more money, more "WHOA I WANT THAT GAME!". Same tihing if Megaman or some other big name character Geno is announced. :) That'd rock, simply put. Also, any big gaming event is a possibility, or revealed on a Wii Channel, similar to Metroid Prime 3, if needed [hopefully earlier :)]. But otherwise, definitely good analysis, as always.

you guys how can i do my signature
I looked on your public profile, and I didn't see a sig. You need to upload it first. ;)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
johnknight1
can you please tell me how did you do your signsture
I don't even know=1337marth made my sig! XD I suggest you try asking O D I N, or another one of the people on the artwork emporium who has a "now making sigs" thing. Or Stryks and a few others have cools "X character for Brawl" sigs, that are very, very cool. ;)

Keyfire

Smash Rookie
Hang on, are you actually asking how to make a fancy graphical signature or just a basic normal one Peach? Cus if just normal then its pretty simple. Go to your profile by clicking your avatar, and then choose 'edit profile' from the list on the left. Theres a 'Signature' text box where you can input whatever you want.

Also, just so you understand, this isnt the blog anymore. Not exactly. Its a forum. And people get real fussy about double posting and things in forums. (not entirely sure why they get SO annoyed, its not like a crime or anything) So just be careful k? ;)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Because double posts turn into triple posts [accidents are okay], triple post turn into quadrople posts, and on, and on, and on.;) And it's to stay on topic, listen to Double Post and other warnings, etc. Double posts=spam, and then you post a million comments, no one else enjoys it, and it's all bad. Plus they is kinda a edit button. ;)

Sneaky 2.0

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2724-1598-9725
I can only hope they didn't waste time on a hopeless venture when they could have put more characters in. :(

Keyfire

Smash Rookie
Oh I know, I know. There is a reason for not double posting or spamming and not much excuse to do so, its just so often overreacted to. Im not accusing you or anyone of overreacting here or now, i was only warning peach it can happen.

I just hope you guys (AKA the smashboarders) go a little easy on the smashbloggers for a while. They aren't used to forum rules. Im half expecting someone to get banned for not adjusting quick enough. Gamer Blue, now if he'd signed up he'd be banned in an instant. We're talking quintuple-posting within a minute or so, with little or no text, information, or anything of substance at all in each one. Not to mention his rapid-fire deviations from topic :p
(to be honest, as a forum-goer myself it irritated me. a lot. If he'd just condensed his posts and had less of a determination to go off topic I would have quite liked him)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We call it infractions, and mods would warn him with that. They tell them if them do it again, they get banned for a while. And they tell them it's against the rules, and they stop. Most of us just say "don't double post, the edit button is your friend." That's how we deal with it, except spammers doing it on purpose. You just can't stop that, other than IP banning as such. ;)

Keyfire

Smash Rookie
Sounds fair to me! Sorry if I sounded ****ing or anything, I didnt mean it like that. Didnt know how harsh this forum was on such things, or how harsh forums were generally. Almost all of my own experience with forums comes from university society ones, which are obviously a lot more free to do whatever you want, seeing as they're pretty much just for a group of people that all know each other. Little enforcing of anything is ever done or needed. I probably have a lot to learn myself I guess :)

EDIT - ****ing = dam(n)ing

sigh, thats another thing we dont have need of on uni forums, censoring. everyone just behaves themselves. to a certain level anyway.
But seriously, dam(n)? gah. stupid political correctness, society blah blah grumble... ;)

Hong

The Strongest
My guess has always been 35. I account for a fair number of Pokémon Trainers (IE characters no one could have guessed), considered the possibilities for radically different movesets and the amount of increase considering Sakurai was barely able to think up 26 character. (regardless of time constraints) I also set the max to 40. The only, and I mean only way they could go beyond 40 is if the developer suddenly have some super abnormal brainstorm where they find something completely revolutionary beyond the creativity of Sakurai himself, which is highly unlikely. We want all of these characters to be different, so does Sakurai. So I think 35 is a fair amount.

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Trainer Is One Character and Samus/Zamus Is also one characterso itd be about 17 confirmed charcters right now plus the 7 unconfirmed returning veterans.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Homeless came too late.

this is mearly speculation, made me wonder why it wasn't a thread on smashboards instead. But that doesn't mean I think this blog was stupid. very informative blog omni...guy (I have smarts). I actually wanted to post something of this nature and agree that realistically speking there will be from 34-36 characters with a slight chance of suceeding in number. but i don't agree with the whole unlockable character revealing. I believe sakurai will continue showing the starters and stop (maybe showing one or two unlockable before release). Assuming C. Falcon and Ness(or Lucas?) are starters (they could revert back to unlockables, though I doubt it there would be 21 characters known and 20 starter. I'll bet there is 20 to 22 starters seeing there is more characters overall

there is one empty slot for Veterans and two for newcomers in the brawl site. while it means nothing, Metaknight and Lucas would fill in the newcomers as C. Falcon would fill in the veterans.

I'm sorry Zero suit samus and samus count as one so the total is 18

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Oh I know, I know. There is a reason for not double posting or spamming and not much excuse to do so, its just so often overreacted to. Im not accusing you or anyone of overreacting here or now, i was only warning peach it can happen.

I just hope you guys (AKA the smashboarders) go a little easy on the smashbloggers for a while. They aren't used to forum rules. Im half expecting someone to get banned for not adjusting quick enough. Gamer Blue, now if he'd signed up he'd be banned in an instant. We're talking quintuple-posting within a minute or so, with little or no text, information, or anything of substance at all in each one. Not to mention his rapid-fire deviations from topic :p
(to be honest, as a forum-goer myself it irritated me. a lot. If he'd just condensed his posts and had less of a determination to go off topic I would have quite liked him)
Thanks for your concern, Keyfire :) don't worry, we're going easy. I've been giving out infractions, but they're all "warnings" with no actual points. We want to foster the Blog as a seperate community that is a part of the Smashboards network. We expect blog-readers to abide by the Smashboards rules, but the topics here by nature are different from those in the Brawl rooms.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Thanks for your concern, Keyfire :) don't worry, we're going easy. I've been giving out infractions, but they're all "warnings" with no actual points. We want to foster the Blog as a seperate community that is a part of the Smashboards network. We expect blog-readers to abide by the Smashboards rules, but the topics here by nature are different from those in the Brawl rooms.
Thanks for giving us time too scav. I'll make sure to adjust as quickly as possible for the moderators sake.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
43-50 characters!? Wow, that's optimistic. I'll be very satisfied with 35 or 36, and incredibly shocked and happy with 40+ (I'll accept 32, though I won't exactly be impressed or anything.) Who knows though right? This IS Sakurai we're talking about, and this IS the greatest game for a reason. (All aspects astound, including perhaps the roster number.)

By the way everyone, in case you couldn't tell, I'm Lava. Heh. (Which was just short for my old Smash handle and Smashboards user name "Burning Lava." Just plain "Lava" is fine though.)

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Burning lava sounds much more extreme but lava sounds VGish.
I hope we get around 36 characters. I'd rather have a small amount of characters in the game who are all top tier. than 50 some characters with only on or two Top tier characters.

Top Bottom