• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brand New matches

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
This is about pikachu, not ZSS. Please don't leave any comments about ZSS here.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
Your bro's ZSS is very good.

You should work on your thunder usage. Basically improve connecting with thunder. If you improve that part of your game, especially thunder edgeguarding (although I know its tough against a good zss opponent), then you will get some early vertical kills (maybe!).

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Thanks Boom, but he air-dodges ones that would normally connect, and he isn't gonna get hit by a random one, so it has to basically be luck, like the one on PS1.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
lol @ end of the 3rd one (@ frigate.)

but anyway i really like ur use of the running nair. it's really effective in all these vids. i need to work that into my pika game. oh and the dair>ftilt. and ur tjolt edgeguarding. =) i'm learning a lot.

one more thing... is that fthrow>hyphen-usmash inescapable? i usually follow with another throw, but i'm assuming a 2nd grab is escapable on light chars like zss?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
one more thing... is that fthrow>hyphen-usmash inescapable? i usually follow with another throw, but i'm assuming a 2nd grab is escapable on light chars like zss?
ZSS can use her down-b (The small flip-jump) to escape from every CG in the game. It has invulnerability frames, so only the hyphen-smash works.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
stop using skull bash. that's my only comment.
AHAHAHAHAHA I like you. You're funny.

I'm starting to notice that my Pikachu gameplay is somewhat similar to yours, ESAM, even though I haven't seen all that many videos.

Also, 3-frame kill move out of shield=awesome.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
AHAHAHAHAHA I like you. You're funny.
If you're being sarcastic:

If you're thinking he should continue to use skull bash, in all the videos, skull bash got him killed 2-3 times. While it never actually killed ZSS or even hit. And the other times he got punished. Not worth it.

else you're being serious:

*laughs with you*

end if

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Sweet sh dairs. Im starting to fall in love with that move. You seemed to dash attack a bit, were those supposed to be nairs? If not I think grab is maybe a slightly better option. Also I noticed once or twice that you faired at their kill percent then jabbed or something. I know its not common practice but fair to nair comes out really fast and is great at killing. I think whether its blockable or not depends on how many fairs hit. Im sure you probably know most of that already but I guess it doesnt hurt to say it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah i use dash attack alot, because it gives you the little momentum boost so it will hit him before he shields, which it does most of the time, and mid %s, which is when i normally dash attack, i can't follow up with a grab so i don't see the point. Also, i need to try fair to nair, that would be awesome O.o

entY8

Smash Rookie
The only things I noticed were how your brother always knew when you would thunderguard and just grabbed the ledge right after; your timing of when you did it seemed to be very similar each time indeed.
The other thing being that you used fair instead of uair for momentum cancelling; why is that?

Btw, why do all your videos have junk sound data in their right audio channel? Makes it a pain to watch with earplugs :urg:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah i realized that, it must be the recorder doesn't have a right audio input or something...idk. Also, i do it when i do because otherwise he would just forward-b the ledge and grab it, and i doubt i'm gonna hit him with it anyway. Also, uair to momentum cancel is a pain in the *** when i don't use the c-stick.

Veng

Smash Ace
what.. Uair momentum cancel owns fair... and it saves me so much compared to when I used to use fair... just di up and hit up a

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
If you're being sarcastic:

If you're thinking he should continue to use skull bash, in all the videos, skull bash got him killed 2-3 times. While it never actually killed ZSS or even hit. And the other times he got punished. Not worth it.

else you're being serious:

*laughs with you*

end if
I think he should use skull bash a bit better. I'm probably only one of two Pikachu mains here that can use it well. Really, if one can find a use for dash attack, they can find a use for skull bash.

More often than not, skull bash can be used to punish a missed tech when you're not in range for QAL/Jab Lock. Spaced right, you can cross the gap between you and a grounded opponent before they have a chance to react. Even if you miss, a well-charged SB will send you out of your opponent's immediate attack range. Think of Ganondorf's Gerudo, but as a headbutt rather than a grab.

Sometimes an opponent may try to shield. People become paranoid of breaking their own shield faster than SB takes to charge. That's when they'll try to spot dodge when they think you'll release it. Predict that spotdodge, release the SB when appropriate. Done well, you'll either land the SB or even better-break their shield. Then you fully-charge another one and kill them. It's quite silly to believe that Skull Bash is a crappy move, especially considering the numerous projectiless you can negate with it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's just sometimes i DI up + back to the stage, which will result in me doing a fair instead of a uair.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I think he should use skull bash a bit better. I'm probably only one of two Pikachu mains here that can use it well. Really, if one can find a use for dash attack, they can find a use for skull bash.

More often than not, skull bash can be used to punish a missed tech when you're not in range for QAL/Jab Lock. Spaced right, you can cross the gap between you and a grounded opponent before they have a chance to react. Even if you miss, a well-charged SB will send you out of your opponent's immediate attack range. Think of Ganondorf's Gerudo, but as a headbutt rather than a grab.

Sometimes an opponent may try to shield. People become paranoid of breaking their own shield faster than SB takes to charge. That's when they'll try to spot dodge when they think you'll release it. Predict that spotdodge, release the SB when appropriate. Done well, you'll either land the SB or even better-break their shield. Then you fully-charge another one and kill them. It's quite silly to believe that Skull Bash is a crappy move, especially considering the numerous projectiless you can negate with it.
The biggest issue with Skull Bash's usefulness is its startup and ending lag. Against a good opponent, if you don't hit with Skull Bash (which you won't 95% of the time, because a smart person will powershield it, spotdodge it, jump over it, or use a projectile to stop it), there's more than enough time for them to punish you. If you're moderately far away, they can just dash-grab you, or at the very least use the time to space themselves and put you in a bad position.

That, and it's super telegraphed. Even if you try to trick someone by releasing it sooner/later than they expected, there's two scenarios: 1) you're far-ish away, in which case they'll have enough time between the release and your getting to them to react and dodge/shield, or 2) you're close, in which case they'll attack/grab you out of the startup lag or charging animation.

I love Skull Bash too, but the fact is that offensively, it's very minimally useful. It can surprise people sometimes, but after you get them with it once (and chances are it won't be anywhere near a fully charged one), you won't get them with it again. The only time I've ever caught people with a charged one is when I pass the ledge on recovery, usually by accident.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
The biggest issue with Skull Bash's usefulness is its startup and ending lag. Against a good opponent, if you don't hit with Skull Bash (which you won't 95% of the time, because a smart person will powershield it, spotdodge it, jump over it, or use a projectile to stop it), there's more than enough time for them to punish you. If you're moderately far away, they can just dash-grab you, or at the very least use the time to space themselves and put you in a bad position.

That, and it's super telegraphed. Even if you try to trick someone by releasing it sooner/later than they expected, there's two scenarios: 1) you're far-ish away, in which case they'll have enough time between the release and your getting to them to react and dodge/shield, or 2) you're close, in which case they'll attack/grab you out of the startup lag or charging animation.

I love Skull Bash too, but the fact is that offensively, it's very minimally useful. It can surprise people sometimes, but after you get them with it once (and chances are it won't be anywhere near a fully charged one), you won't get them with it again. The only time I've ever caught people with a charged one is when I pass the ledge on recovery, usually by accident.
This is true, but you didn't quite take into account:
1. Spacing
2. Missed Techs.

In brawl, there's more than just "close and far away". There's a middle range between them. Charging in that range leaves you only susceptible to grapple-based grabs, and high-range attacks like Dedede's F-Tilt. Being JUST BARELY out of those attack ranges is where you really want to be most of the time. It's mostly based on judging your opponent's reaction time, the distance you'll cross in that arc, their average attack range, and whether or not they have projectiles that can reach you.

Now that's taking a standing opponent into mind. Missing a tech leaves your opponent on the ground and more vulnerable. It's simple, really... you charge a SB just outside of the get-up attack range and release it based on what they do. Some characters can simply lie on the ground and let it miss, bu others like ROB will have no other choices available. Or maybe you could just QAL/Jab Lock and end it with a barely charged skull bash. Just remember that you can cancel your startup lag at anytime by releasing the thing.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
This is true, but you didn't quite take into account:
1. Spacing
2. Missed Techs.

In brawl, there's more than just "close and far away". There's a middle range between them. Charging in that range leaves you only susceptible to grapple-based grabs, and high-range attacks like Dedede's F-Tilt. Being JUST BARELY out of those attack ranges is where you really want to be most of the time. It's mostly based on judging your opponent's reaction time, the distance you'll cross in that arc, their average attack range, and whether or not they have projectiles that can reach you.

Now that's taking a standing opponent into mind. Missing a tech leaves your opponent on the ground and more vulnerable. It's simple, really... you charge a SB just outside of the get-up attack range and release it based on what they do. Some characters can simply lie on the ground and let it miss, bu others like ROB will have no other choices available. Or maybe you could just QAL/Jab Lock and end it with a barely charged skull bash. Just remember that you can cancel your startup lag at anytime by releasing the thing.
As to your spacing point.... you're right, you could go through the trouble of perfectly spacing an SB. I'll give you that. But imo there are much better options for Pikachu at any range. Also, SB is pretty useless unless it's charged to some degree (otherwise its damage and knockback are poopoo, and the ending lag doesn't allow you to combo into anything), and by that time they can just get out of range or prepare to dodge/shield it. It seems pretty silly to space for an attack that will hit for 7 damage (or whatever uncharged SB does) and almost zero knockback, plus leave you with lots of lag.

Besides that, even completely uncharged, SB isn't exactly the fastest attack in the world. :ohwell:

I dunno anything about using Skull Bash on missed techs, so I can't really argue that point. Couldn't they just roll behind you if you're "just outside" of get-up attack range? Or roll in general when you let it go so that you'll go through their invincibility frames? Again, I feel like Pika has better options in this situation.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Can you stop talking about Skull Bash in a thread that has nothing to do with skull bash but one remark made by Ussi plz?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Fine, ill stop! God ****ing **** **** ****** *****es **** ****s

If somebody can figure out what i wrote with all the *s, ill give them an internet cookie.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Nair. You can check some of the frame data on Pika's other moves here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197330

Nair's first hitbox comes out faster than Meta Knight's D-Smash. :D
But you have to jump first which takes like 6-8 frames, so it's not faster than MK's dsmash. :(

Also skull bash is a really bad move, but it does have it's uses.

and really nice Pika, ESAM.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Not crying, but i just want to get critiqued on my stuff instead of a whole discussion on skull bash...i know its a ****ty move and so does everybody else.

Veng

Smash Ace
Lol Skull bash is not a ****ty move if you know how to use it right, I got a couple KOs on anther with a full charged one recovering. that move issss ba kthx.

ESAMs pika is good and I like his string usage, uair does wonders for him.... Nicholas.Riddle = nick riddle = :)

Top Bottom