• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Bowser's Top 8 Custom Movesets

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
As part of an ongoing project to push customs into the competitive scene, it's been suggested that people begin seeking the 8 most popular/competitive sets of each character to apply to every tournament Wii U to streamline the custom character selection. I decided to be the one to post about it to the Bowser forum and basically copied and tweaked a template post from that thread for this purpose.

Please provide a set, an explanation of it, and any other comments you'd like to include.

Note: Sets dedicated to countering certain characters are more than welcome. Especially for characters who function differently, or poorly against certain characters who otherwise perform well under default specials. Gimmicky, glitchy, or combinations just otherwise worth mentioning are welcome as well.

If there are more than 8 sets posted, we will have a poll to determine their popularity. This is more about time constraints and not forcing too many people to upload their own customs, not just competitive viability.

Please use the number format for submitting sets, in Neutral Side Up Down order. For example:
  • 1111 (Default specials)

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Bowser has a selection of good custom moves that only Wii Fit Trainer can rival. None of his moves are completely outclassed by another. Heven sliding fortress is good for approaches and against characters with sucky edge-guarding skills. (e.g. Little Mac) However, I will say my top 8 are, in order:
Probably not the optimal list, but it's what I use.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Neutral B: Fire Roar is useless because the cooldown makes it unreliable.
Side B: Flying Slam is outclassed by the others due to waveslashing and the usefulness of a dash.
Up B: Whirling Fortress is the default best because of the strength of Up B out of shield.
Down B: Bowser Bomb is the best because it is the only one that breaks shields, and it can hit on the way up.

I would rank some custom configurations as follows:
1311 > 1211 > 1111 > 2311 > 2211 > 2111

Bowser has a selection of good custom moves that only Wii Fit Trainer can rival. None of his moves are completely outclassed by another. Heven sliding fortress is good for approaches and against characters with sucky edge-guarding skills. (e.g. Little Mac) However, I will say my top 8 are, in order:
Probably not the optimal list, but it's what I use.
You think Fire Roar is good?

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
1-2-1-1

Everything default with Dash Slam as a custom for those who want it. It's a more reliable move. Doesn't have the killing power, but you're Bowser. Killing isn't a problem.

There may be players that rarely ever use fire breath, so fire roar would be good for them.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I have no idea what I was thinking with the sliding fortress. It is outclassed in damage, recovery, and endlag. The endlag on that thing is horrible. I guess someone took control of my body and had me write that, because, now that I think about it, I disagree with most of that list. My new list is below.
1111 (you may want to skip this.)
2111 (if you skip the default.)
Fire roar can be used in the place of fire breath for those (like me) who rarely use it. It gives more power and damage for when I do use it. In fact, you can get over 20% easily if you use it close enough.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Fire roar can be used in the place of fire breath for those (like me) who rarely use it. It gives more power and damage for when I do use it. In fact, you can get over 20% easily if you use it close enough.
I just tested out Fire Roar. It actually does seem useful if you use it sparingly since it covers so wide an area and does so much damage. I don't actually use Fire Breath that much anyways.

I don't think Flying Fortress is useful though because you lose Up B out of shield potential. It might become useful again if they give back the old Bowsercide where you can sometimes survive (depending on the stage) if you Up B right when you slam into the bottom blast zone.

My new list is:

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
Neutral: 1 or 3
Fire Shot is straight up terrible. Default Fire Breath is good if you think you'll be using it frequently. Fire Roar makes for a nice "oh ****" button.​
Side: 2 or 3
Default Flying Slam is straight up terrible. Dash Klaw and Dash Slash are ones you can actually land and open up Bowser's movement options.​
Up: 1
Default Fortress is best for recovery as it's not limited horizontally or vertically depending on which of the other two you're looking at and it's the best option out of shield. Flying Fortress use to be useful as a recovery after Bowsercide.​
Down: 1 or 2
I actually really like Turbulent Bomb. The wind box makes it pretty safe and does funny things like, say, nudging Captain Falcon off stage after a SideB and into his freefall state. It also lands further away than the default Bowser Bomb which can be a good or bad thing, depending on the situation. It also lacks the shield break aspect of the default move which is always a nice threat to have even if it rarely comes into play.​

So the total options for my picks are:

MrEh

Smash Hero
TEN COMMANDMENTS OF THE BOWSER BOARDS

1. Thou shalt not use "Flying Slam." There is only "Klaw."
2. Thou shalt not use "Dash Slam." There is only "Dash Klaw."
2.1. "Dashing Klaw" is acceptable though.
3. Thou shalt not use "Whirling Fortress." Too long to type. There is only "Fortress."
3.1 "UpB" is also acceptable.
4. Bowser does not need more super armor. Holy ****.
5. Honor thy shield and thy Fortress.
7. Bowser's new Fsmash is not better then his old one. If you think it is, you are bad.
6. Bowser cannot count.

Last edited:

Flayl

Smash Hero

Fire Roar does what I need firebreath to do and with more damage and range: Hit someone to a down diagonal of me, either because I'm falling back to the ground or I'm jumping over a projectile. Almost never need it to stay out long, and by the time I want to use it again it's recharged, so I always get max range.

I feel Dash Slam is better than Dash Slash because it beats shields. Unlike default klaw you can actually approach with it.

I haven't played with the modified bombs enough, I'll edit it in my opinion of them later. but with the huge risk of using any of them, you want a huge reward as well, and from what I can tell the custom bombs work against that.

EDIT: Without playing against human opponents it's really hard to see why I would use turbulence bomb. It loses all KO potential and still has massive lag.

Slip Bomb loses the ground hit but it's faster coming down, and the slip range is surprisingly huge. Can still be used as a KO move, just much later. Overall I'd say default is better but slip bomb has lots of potential, especially against characters that like to juggle Bowser while grounded.

In terms of importance for me: Whirling Fortress > Dash Slam > Fire Roar > Bowser Bomb. Dash Slash is a better custom than Fire Roar and Slip Bomb though.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
@ Flayl Flayl , you're breaking MrEh's rules. :p

I can go either way with Turbulent Bomb and Slip Bomb. I just prefer the windbox. I'd still probably pick the default one over both though.

In fact, if I had to pick a preferred set up it would be 3311. At least until they fix this nonsense with Klaw, then it'd be 3211.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Once people start actively killing me with my own klaws I might switch to slash as well haha

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Tough Guy exists.
1. Tough Guy only activates for attacks that do ~1% damage.

2. Real SA doesn't slow the character to a crawl while they're attacking if they're getting hit by things.

3. We're discussing MOVES with SA on them, not crappy mechanics that make Bowser move through molasses while he gets even more damage racked up on him.

None of Bowser's moves have SA, and for the record, I don't think any NEED SA because SA isn't going to do **** against skilled players.

Look, not trying to be a douche to you, but if we're laying down technical terms for Bowser, we have to have all our ducks in a row, right?

We don't want new Bowser players coming in and asking where Bowser's SA is, after all... ;)

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754

2. Real SA doesn't slow the character to a crawl while they're attacking if they're getting hit by things.

3. We're discussing MOVES with SA on them, not crappy mechanics that make Bowser move through molasses while he gets even more damage racked up on him.

None of Bowser's moves have SA, and for the record, I don't think any NEED SA because SA isn't going to do **** against skilled players.
I hate when Mac's jab racks so much hitstun, that by the time i do something i'm out of the 50% range and get stuck in the jab -_-

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I hate when Mac's jab racks so much hitstun, that by the time i do something i'm out of the 50% range and get stuck in the jab -_-
Yup

Meanwhile, Bowser's writing Mac a letter about this F-tilt that's going to hit him in a few months...

MrEh

Smash Hero
Man, thank god Luigi's fireball only does around 1 damage. :awesome:

Heavy Armor is a type of super armor. Hell, the term Heavy Armor was just some term made up specifically for smash to refer to moves that only armor through attacks that do a certain amount of damage. Even the description of Heavy Armor varies depending on the character. (Yoshi's DJ and Cypher are both considered to have Heavy Armor, but Yoshi's was calculated using knockback while Snake's was calculated using damage dealt.)

However, Tough Guy is so absurdly inconsistent that it doesn't even fit the goddamn description of Heavy Armor. I mean what's up with Luigi's fireball? Seriously?

It's like there's no real formula behind it, and Sakurai just looked at moves, made a list of things that Tough Guy works against, and called it a day.

I propose we refer to this type of armor as bull**** armor. Since that's what it is.

It actually does. You still get hitstop. It's just that most moves have a very small super armor duration, so you never get into situations like Bowser where you can get hit with 10x rapid jabs in a row.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So, thank you Bowsers for getting a head start on this. It looks like it will not be hard at all to lay out Bowser's options as this proceeds as there has already been some fertile discussion (what I gather is that you guys find the choice of side specials very big and his other customs very situational). The only downside is that the way this is arranged has shifted a little bit; the ideal output would be up to 3 critical movesets for Bowser (not including 1111) and some additional supplemental movesets for a total of 6 options. It sounds like 1211 and 1311 are going to be the popular options for two critical sets which makes a lot of gameplay sense to me anyway; can you guys narrow down four supplementals to go with it, and can the TC edit the OP to include this information?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I propose we refer to this type of armor as bull**** armor. Since that's what it is.
I agree completely.

I wouldn't even say the words "super armor" and "Bowser" in the same sentence because I think it'll just be confusing to people who are new to Bowser who might then believe that he has some.

The hallmarks of SA have always seemed to be:
-it only triggers during certain frames of certain moves
-the player still takes 100% of the damage dealt to them
-nothing will interrupt the attack except a grab of some kind

And for the record, Bowser's shell guard is its own type of invincibility frames, correct?

It actually does. You still get hitstop. It's just that most moves have a very small super armor duration, so you never get into situations like Bowser where you can get hit with 10x rapid jabs in a row.
I believe Bowser's BS armor takes this a step further and makes him even slower (I'd have to test it, though).

I want to see what happens when a character uses their rapid hit attack (like Diddy's tail whip) and when LM fires a charged smash through it vs. Bowser doing a running grab through it. Both moves should be near instantaneous, but I feel like I've seen this very situation and Bowser's hitstun is so much worse...

Another possibility would be to have Diddy tail-whipping Ike as he rises with his Up+B. Ike should go through the tail-whip like he's rising through molasses...

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
@ S_B S_B

Is this shell guard thing people sometimes mention what we're referring to with USmash? Someone explained a while back that Bowser's hurtbox just straight up shrinks during the move. So it's not technically invincibility, but it might as well be. The only time I could see it not acting like invincibility is in response to tether grabs or Yoshi's Egg Lay or something like that.

@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos

In that case I guess that leaves us with 3211, 3311, 1213, and 1313. Fire Roar and Slip Bomb aren't vital enough to have together.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The term shellguard refers to the autoguard frames on Bowser's shell during Usmash. It's not invincibility, it's autoguard. That basically means that during the time his shell has autoguard, it absorbs a single hit. I made a few notes of it here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/info-about-the-shellguard-in-up-smash.378815/

So, thank you Bowsers for getting a head start on this. It looks like it will not be hard at all to lay out Bowser's options as this proceeds as there has already been some fertile discussion (what I gather is that you guys find the choice of side specials very big and his other customs very situational). The only downside is that the way this is arranged has shifted a little bit; the ideal output would be up to 3 critical movesets for Bowser (not including 1111) and some additional supplemental movesets for a total of 6 options. It sounds like 1211 and 1311 are going to be the popular options for two critical sets which makes a lot of gameplay sense to me anyway; can you guys narrow down four supplementals to go with it, and can the TC edit the OP to include this information?
It's rather tricky because Bowser's other custom moves are really just that bad compared to his default ones.
http://smashboards.com/threads/info-about-the-shellguard-in-up-smash.378815/

Last edited:

Flayl

Smash Hero
What do you mean by "critical" movesets? The only custom moves that drastically alter Bowser's style of play are the klaw ones and the fortress ones, and the fortress ones end up being terrible.

Fire Roar is better for those of us who use Neutral B sparingly. Slip Bomb has potential as a matchup specific custom, because it loses its versatility (due to lack of ground hit and lesser KO power) and isn't very good against characters that stay in the air

EDIT: If you are talking about the minimal number of unlocks needed to make Bowser competitive, I will agree with

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I disagree with almost everyone :/
Dash slam is a crutch. Wavelanding dash claw and grabbing puts a grab hitbox in the same place at the same time with only slightly less damage payoff, and then you also get to do everything else that dash claw can do (wavelanding downtilt, superarmoring through stuff, just hitting people with it in general).
Dash slam is only good if you can't time the waveland consistently.

I think Fire shot is really good because you can force approach against characters with no projectile at all. Flame breath is so laggy that if someone rolls behind it they get to pick their punish off a menu. I think people are saying they use flame breath rarely and want fire roar because flame breath is not that great compared to his other non-projectile options, so why not take a projectile?
I'm not convinced fire roar is better by the way because I think it seems to have a higher DI co-efficient that makes it do less damage. Are you guys testing on humans?

Fortress is the best up B because it's faster, not because of the end lag. I think sliding has a niche somewhere, though. It punishes Bouncing Fish oos while standard fortress does not, for instance.
Ok it might still not have a niche cause even people like that have nairs and fairs you want to punish OoS, but I can dream.

Slip Bomb is the best down B by a margin. If you ledge cancel it, it's not a high risk move anymore, it's firmly in the low-risk/low-reward area and it's useful in that regard. The same is true of using it while getting juggled where it's faster than standard. If you're up against a guy that's going to let you break a shield with standard down B, by all means take standard down b, but if their playstyle isn't going to give you that you're going to like slip bomb better. (The range at which it trips is huge btw).

2313 - my standard build
2311 - shieldbreak standard
1311 - mainstream bowser

3311 - Simple heavy mentality players will probably like this
1313 - Slip bomb without fire shot since maybe I'm wrong about fire shot.
1211 - Crutch bowser

Fun fact: you can aim fire shot

Flayl

Smash Hero
I have to be somewhat skeptical at calling dash klaw a crutch. Waveland grab is slower (thus unsafer) and won't work for platforms. Do you have replays of you successfully using this?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I have to be somewhat skeptical at calling dash klaw a crutch. Waveland grab is slower (thus unsafer) and won't work for platforms. Do you have replays of you successfully using this?
No, and I'm just eyeballing that I think it's the same speed. Maybe it's not, but frame perfect wavelands look pretty swift to me.

Platforms, I have to concede.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Only Dash Klaw is useful. Normal grabs as fine in the vast majority of situations.

Only default Fire Breath is useful. The fireba has abyssmal startup and recovery, and Fire Roar burns out too quick and charges too slow.

Default Fortress and Sliding Fortress are both good. Sliding Fortress lets you punish a lot of stuff you normally can't, like midscreen rolls. If also KOs at around 150%, which can be circumstantially useful.

Default Bowser Bomb is very good. Turbulent Bomb is solid. No kill power, but it travels much farther to open new punish opportunities due to its angle, and it still hits on the way up. Windbox is borderline useless since it can be shielded.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I disagree with almost everyone :/
Dash slam is a crutch. Wavelanding dash claw and grabbing puts a grab hitbox in the same place at the same time with only slightly less damage payoff, and then you also get to do everything else that dash claw can do (wavelanding downtilt, superarmoring through stuff, just hitting people with it in general).
Dash slam is only good if you can't time the waveland consistently.
For the sake of the terminology I'll be using:

Klaw: Special 1
Dash Klaw: Special 2
Dash Slash: Special 3

Now then, Dash Klaw is not a crutch. I do think Dash Slash is better, but calling Dash Klaw a crutch is wrong when it's just a different option overall. Dash Klaw puts out a grab hitbox faster than a wavelanded Dash Slash -> grab by a large margin. I'm talking like 15+ frames faster. This is a fact. Dash Klaw also gives you ways to scoop people on platforms, wheras Dash Slash isn't as good in that situation.

I have to be somewhat skeptical at calling dash klaw a crutch. Waveland grab is slower (thus unsafer) and won't work for platforms.
^this

I think Fire shot is really good because you can force approach against characters with no projectile at all.
It also does negligible damage and is easy to powershield. Projectiles don't really force an approach if they don't threaten. It's also extremely laggy, and easy to punish at anything other then absurdly long ranges. (which you do not threaten in the first place)

Flame breath is so laggy that if someone rolls behind it they get to pick their punish off a menu. I think people are saying they use flame breath rarely and want fire roar because flame breath is not that great compared to his other non-projectile options, so why not take a projectile?
Fireball is laggy too, so moot point. Also, if you're shooting fire at a range where someone can just roll behind you, you're doing it wrong. Fire exists to cover yourself and to cover options. It's a terrible offensive tool. It's a means to bait reactions safely and counter appropriately. Fireball doesn't even do that, since it doesn't force any decisive reaction to begin with.

I'm not convinced fire roar is better by the way because I think it seems to have a higher DI co-efficient that makes it do less damage. Are you guys testing on humans?
No one thinks that Fire Roar is overall better. We just think that it's funny and manly.

Slip Bomb is the best down B by a margin. If you ledge cancel it, it's not a high risk move anymore, it's firmly in the low-risk/low-reward area and it's useful in that regard. The same is true of using it while getting juggled where it's faster than standard. If you're up against a guy that's going to let you break a shield with standard down B, by all means take standard down b, but if their playstyle isn't going to give you that you're going to like slip bomb better. (The range at which it trips is huge btw).
Disagree completely.

A low risk/low reward Bowser Bomb has no purpose. The move is always meant to be high risk high reward. Regular bomb can be ledge canceled anyway, so that makes Bomb low risk/high reward in the same situations as Slip Bomb. If you're being juggled, Slip Bomb isn't going to save you. You're gonna get hit over and over again because Bomb trades with everything.

The huge trip range is irrelevant when the shockwave can be shielded. Since Trip Bomb does not break shields, you do not threaten someone who will just shield the bomb and punish you hard.

Regular Bowser Bomb is usable because it's Bowser's fastest grounded kill move that can be done out of a run and as a punish. That's how you're supposed to use Bomb outside of frame traps. Grounded Bomb is an insane tool. When you use Slip Bomb, you basically give that up for a move that is even MORE gimmicky and fraudulent. Not only is the payoff way worse, it's also harder to hit people with. So what's the point? To get people to trip once in awhile?

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
No one thinks that Fire Roar is overall better. We just think that it's funny and manly.

And what projectile-less characters are there even?

Has projectile and/or something to easily negate FIre Shot:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Rosa
Koopaling
Diddy
G&W
Mac (just Side B over it)
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Tink
Spamus
ZSS (Can't really count her)
Pit
Pallet Town, eh?
Robin
Kirby
D3
Fox
Falco
Pika
Charizard
Lucario
Greninja
Ness
More Burrito
Olimar
WFT
Doctor Mario
Pit2
Pac-Man
Rock Man
Sonic (You're too slow!)

So we're left with:
Wario
DK
Ganondorf
ZSS
Marf
Roy with Marf hair
MK
Jiggly
Faptain Calcon
Shulk

... I can only see Fire Shot being useful against DK or Ganon. And that's a maybe at best.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Man, god forbid Mac, the third fastest character in the game, can't just run up to our faces and punch us.

Honestly, if you aim the fireblalls upwards, he might be able to run UNDER them. Mac low profiles under a lot of crap when he's running.

Last edited:
Top Bottom