• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I'll definitely be getting a new 3DS XL. Wish it came in more color choices though. :/
Wish we had standardNew3DS so we could get faceplates :c

Gonna get the MH one hopefully tho

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
So, those of you who also play Bowser in Melee, why do you?
I do it for the love of the character. (Plus low tiers are mad hype)

Meowser

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChronoRabbit
Played, rather than play. I don't think I'll ever touch that thing again, partially because it involves digging my old Wii up and playing with almost broken gamecube pads. Did play though, because mad hype over playable Bowser. Apart from Mario Kart, he wasn't super present on the playable roster of most games, and in the few games where he was he didn't really do very Bowser-like things. Melee was the first time REALLY playing Bowser in his natural habitat. Also screw viability, I play who I find appealing *points at Smash 64 main icon*.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was hype for the swappable designs, so I feel pretty used right now.

:093:

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I like vaporizing people with Bowser's FSmash. That prettymuch sums up why I play every character though.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
So, you guys plan on getting a new New Nintendo 3DS XL? I think I might wait and get a used New Nintendo 3DS XL. Or possibly a new New Nintendo 2DS.

:facepalm:
I wanted the New 3DS due to the interchangeable faceplates, but the geniuses at NoA have decided not to bring it over. Thanks for nothing, Nintendo. Well... I guess I should be thanking them for saving me $169.99 + tax. :sadeyes:

Because villains. Because big. Because powerful. Because Bowser.

Jecux

Smash Cadet
Bowser is easily the best looking character in the whole game and I love heavyweights. Winning with him feels rewarding too!

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
I love my Mario & Luigi 3DS XL too much to trade it in/replace it. You can keep your faceplate swaps

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Bowser looks great, but I still find myself kind of annoyed at his double jump. For all the re-working they did, they really couldn't give him something that LOOKS like a jump? lmao

Meowser

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChronoRabbit
Bowser looks great, but I still find myself kind of annoyed at his double jump. For all the re-working they did, they really couldn't give him something that LOOKS like a jump? lmao
It looks like special FX from some really cheap action movie out of the 90s. The "invisible rope on a crane" kind of thing. Easily the worst animation in his entire set, gotta agree on that. Also, I'm kinda missing the spiky back Bair from the older games, the re-use of his dropkick animation feels a bit lazy.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I agree with this, one of my favorite things about the shell spin jump was that even for a moment, it made his hurtbox just a little smaller. It also looked quite a bit cooler than the current second jump.

It looks like special FX from some really cheap action movie out of the 90s. The "invisible rope on a crane" kind of thing. Easily the worst animation in his entire set, gotta agree on that. Also, I'm kinda missing the spiky back Bair from the older games, the re-use of his dropkick animation feels a bit lazy.
I don't mind the drop kick so much, it auto cancels, has good knockback, it's pretty fast, and you can use it for short hopping over hitboxes near the ground that would normally hit his legs. Like the gale boomerang.

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I was talking to Jero about that the other day. BAir is cool but I don't like being spot on with things. I need moves with huge range (rip Klaw 2008-2014)

MrEh

Smash Hero
The issue with Bair is that the buffs don't translate into a more useful move.

Yes the speed is buffed. Yes it autocancels. However, you don't approach with this move ever. So that really doesn't make up for the loss of range and priority.

The loss of range on a move can make it really terrible. Look at Klaw. Buffed in nearly every way, but went from being atrociously broken to being useless just because of the range nerf.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I have the hardest time hitting with bair because people see it coming a mile away. I use it more for baits that can be punished when you autocancel it.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It's funny to see how Bowser's competitive gameplan has changed throughout the series.

Melee: Edgeguard them or die, L-Cancel Fair/Bair, Klaw back throw spacies to their doom, FSMASH

Brawl: Klaw disjoint being stupid good, Jab pokes, Koopa Hops, Grab releasing, FSMASH

Smash 4: +7 Jab shenanigans, Lots of Bowser Bombs, Holy crap Dair is a real move now, RAGE ABUSE

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Wait, you guys really don't like Bowser's Bair?

That's like, one of the moves I'm most terrified of. It's fast, autocancels, and kills me at like 40 and they can just do it OoS with ease. I can't stand it.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Wait, you guys really don't like Bowser's Bair?

That's like, one of the moves I'm most terrified of. It's fast, autocancels, and kills me at like 40 and they can just do it OoS with ease. I can't stand it.

Perhaps the most important buff that any move can get is an opponent's unwillingness to be hit by it.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So...Has anyone here heard of Smash King? Ya' know...that one Animesque Brawl Machinima that stars that great Koopa King? : 3

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I haven't watched machinimas since 2008. People still make those things?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I haven't watched machinimas since 2008. People still make those things?
Well, some people, although its very few. Pretty much the only people i see actively making it would be Tigura21, FlipNinten and TheHedgeHogEngine.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Camalange Camalange Bair should be feared if the Bowser is aiming to trade with it or monkey around for an early 19%. It's otherwise a "turn and bait" deal. The move has no disjoint and can be stopped safely by most attacks. Bair is so bad it cannot knock away Gordos without getting stabbed for massive damage. Not that it doesn't stop us from trying anyway.

HashTagShowNoFearBowser

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's no approach option, but I feel like it can be a really effective punish option, hence your bait idea. So I think using it in that way makes it completely terrifying.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Good Bowser's will always intimidate players simply by existing because all of our attacks hurt. Kinda like Ganondorf.

B!squick

Smash Master
I've thought for so long about what kind of "anime" avatar I could use, but I really don't want to give you guys any ideas about the kinds of things I've looked at on the internet. The shame would not be worth the, "ha ha, someone saw that."

Mostly I just wish there was a decent screen cap of Bowser from There Will Be Brawl. I'm fine with the terror that is Kirby, however.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Hello ^ ^ I didn't see a MU thread, so I'll just post this here.

The Zelda boards have started discussing the Bowser MU, and we'd love input from bowser players on it.

:4zelda: < Click me to use Farore's Wind!

Rend4125

Smash Cadet
NNID
Billiam4125
Hey Im a strictly bowser main wanting to do teams with two bowsers from PA. Looking for another bowser partner from PA, NY, or NJ to do teams with in tourneys around those areas. My FC is Billiam4125 Bowser ditto me or play me for bowser experience. looking to play people today

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It's been a while since I came here, but this is the place where I can meet up with pros who can help me with my Bowser, yes?

I'm hoping to get better at using him in the Wii U version, because I think my gameplay has atrophied over the past couple of weeks. Is there anyone here who could help me out?

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's been a while since I came here, but this is the place where I can meet up with pros who can help me with my Bowser, yes?

I'm hoping to get better at using him in the Wii U version, because I think my gameplay has atrophied over the past couple of weeks. Is there anyone here who could help me out?
You've come to the right place! Let us know what troubles you're running in to, and we'll do our best to help.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I've thought for so long about what kind of "anime" avatar I could use, but I really don't want to give you guys any ideas about the kinds of things I've looked at on the internet. The shame would not be worth the, "ha ha, someone saw that."

Mostly I just wish there was a decent screen cap of Bowser from There Will Be Brawl. I'm fine with the terror that is Kirby, however.
This post inspired me to rewatch that series today. So friggin good, man.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You've come to the right place! Let us know what troubles you're running in to, and we'll do our best to help.
Thanks!

Well, I think my hardest obstacles right now are against these specific characters who I tend to fight frequently: Robin, King Dedede, and Link. I have a hard time dealing with ranged characters who can space my Bowser by spamming projectiles, securing their position on the stage. I know about when to use Bowser's forward-air, and that his whirling fortress is good to use when punishing rolls, but I just can't seem to reach characters with projectiles. What should I do in such a matchup?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Punch the projectiles. Works on anything that isn't a laser. Sheik's dumb bomb thing requires super precision to hit the small thing. I've canceled out the explosion due to intangibility before.

Edit: Well Large class projectiles(Samus Full Charge Shot) will still hit you but small projectiles you can cancel out.

Your other option is to Powershield until they get tired of you.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Thanks!

Well, I think my hardest obstacles right now are against these specific characters who I tend to fight frequently: Robin, King Dedede, and Link. I have a hard time dealing with ranged characters who can space my Bowser by spamming projectiles, securing their position on the stage. I know about when to use Bowser's forward-air, and that his whirling fortress is good to use when punishing rolls, but I just can't seem to reach characters with projectiles. What should I do in such a matchup?
It's really character dependant on how Bowser can deal with projectiles. With Robin you'll want to shield them and ideally play on a stage with platforms or movement so that you're not stuck on a flat plane. Against D3 hitting back his Gordos is a lot handier than shielding. Link you can jab his boomerang and arrows with proper timing but I'd generally just suggest shielding. He can be really annoying.

The best way to improve is to find someone who's strong with a certain character and then play that person as much as possible. I see you live in CA--if that's specifically SoCal, we have those mains! Play Xzax for Robin, Zekey for D3, and Scizor for Link. They all attend tournaments regularly and use other characters too, so just request those characters in particular when you friendly them. :)

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Just Jump over the Boomerang if he throws it straight and let it carry you to Link. Just Flame Breath the whole way. Arrows will be destroyed and you toast his pants. If they are inexperienced they will probably kill themselves out of fear.

Top Bottom