• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Another interesting thing to note about the Robin MU is that you can stop Arcfire and Arcthunder in their tracks with your Fire Breath.

You could potentially get some damage in on him at the same time you're stopping his projectiles, so it's worth keeping in mind.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It's really character dependant on how Bowser can deal with projectiles. With Robin you'll want to shield them and ideally play on a stage with platforms or movement so that you're not stuck on a flat plane. Against D3 hitting back his Gordos is a lot handier than shielding. Link you can jab his boomerang and arrows with proper timing but I'd generally just suggest shielding. He can be really annoying.

The best way to improve is to find someone who's strong with a certain character and then play that person as much as possible. I see you live in CA--if that's specifically SoCal, we have those mains! Play Xzax for Robin, Zekey for D3, and Scizor for Link. They all attend tournaments regularly and use other characters too, so just request those characters in particular when you friendly them. :)
I believe I've done that before against King Dedede and his Gordos, and I found it to be more than handy than just shielding. I still need to work on my reflexes, though.

The Link player that I play against frequently also uses bombs as part of his arsenal, which is something that I cannot block with my jab. I'd rather just shield, like you said right there.

And thanks for the info again! I already have a close friend who happens to be a really good D3 player and lives close by, but I'll see into contacting those people. I don't consider myself worthy of being able to properly participate in a tournament yet, but hey. :laugh:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
In regards to link, Fire works on everything projectile wise except max charged arrows and bombs, One thing to note about bombs is that they are a pretty large commitment, he has to drop or throw it to get his normals back and he loses the hylian shield while he's carrying one. If you can manage to catch him in fire while he's carrying one before he throws it then it might blow up on him for extra damage. I think that a Link who is airborne with a bomb is pretty vulnerable though, because he can only Zair, or throw and the bomb isn't exactly the most protective hitbox when approaching from the optimal angle. Never roll forward after shielding bombs, because they often bounce off in a way that will punish you for it.

Also, if you do decide to jump over a boomerang, you'll need to either full hop, which isn't the best idea because of how quick the projectile recovers, or you can short hop over with an autocancel Bair to get Bowser's legs out of the way. When dealing with Link in close quarters, it's best to stay outside of jab range and try to whiff punish it with moves like jab or Ftilt, or maybe even fire if he's at the ledge. Keep in mind that Link's jab is probably what makes the match-up so annoying for Bowser, it has speed, range, it sets up, it's disjointed, it's actually a really good move so be sure to respect it. Link's upsmash is still kinda bad, if the front of it hits you grounded, it's usually possible to get out of it before the last hit connects, the same might be true for the back hit but i'm not sure. It's sorta like Sonic's upsmash.

Zair is still annoying, but it can be whiff punished with proper spacing and timing because he does lag briefly when hitting the ground, it's possible to get something fast like a grab or maybe a dash attack. Good to know if Link starts spamming it. His Fsmash isn't punishable unless he does the second hit, which has quite significant lag on it, but otherwise it's not worth it to try unless you're behind him and react quickly.

Also, why are we discussing Link here? What happened to the match-up thread?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
My Apex pool is:

FOW
Nyani
Me
Ancient Mariner (NJ)
ZZ;GraviTy (VA)
JustJesss (CAN)
ScottyDo (NY)
Phoenix_Dark (PA)
Dipsel (NJ)
DrProfessorHashtag (CT)
Dash Billons (NY)
TacocaT (NJ)
Kaizoku (IL)

Only people I know are FOW and Nyani. Anyone have any info on the other people in this pool?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Found some info--

Ancient Mariner and ScottyDo are mainly Melee players. Not very active, but looks like they usually attend Apex.

Phoenix_Dark is a Sonic main. Got 2nd to M@v at a 7 man tournament in PA.

TacocaT is a Lucario player--new to competitive scene.

JustJesss is a YouTuber who used Kirby in Brawl. She was at a tournament that @ KingKong_ad KingKong_ad was at where he got 4th using Bowser and PT. Maybe he knows who she uses now.

I got nothing on ZZ;GraviTy, Dipsel, DrProfessorHashtag, Dash Billons, and Kaizoku.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I take no news as good news when it comes to this stuff. Means they're not good enough to gain notoriety, right? :p
Hopefully. Since the game is still so young though any of those people could be secret Wi-Fi warriors. Fingers crossed. ;)

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I have:

Leffen (SW)
shimitake (JPN)
SFA Smiley (AZ)
Kratos_Galileo (PR)
Jamz (TN)
3b (CAN)
Cruecial (PA)
Sade (CA)
Me (NYC)
Bowser_Bomb (FL)
Chris (NJ)
adogdog (NY)
KevinSparkz (NJ)

I only know of Leffen (of course), and Kev is a friend of mine. I've heard of Smiley and Sade, but otherwise I have no idea who anyone uses in this game since its so early. I'm pretty much going in blind at this Apex. Honestly, almost everyone is lol

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I need to post in here more. I was off with a stint learning Palutena, but her damage is just not rewarding enough for her risks and does not mesh with my style. Looks like I'm sticking with Bowser and Shulk.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh, Phoenix Dark is a good friend of mine lol.

:093:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Shimiitake is Pikachu, Smiley is GW, and Sade is Diddy. You got this.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah its that shimitake from Japan. I'm going to be grinding all week in the MUs you guys listed. I'm confident that I'll be able to do well. I just have to be on point.

What time is your pool at, Chris? Mine is at like 7pm

D

Deleted member 189823

Can I, liek, post the results I got from the tournament of last month. I did pretty well, went full Bowser.

B!squick

Smash Master
@Oz No.
;)

I hope Apex is better than The International 4. Three hours of pre-game leading up to around an hour and a half of disappointment. The grand finals for the biggest Dota 2 tournament should have been at least twice that length. Last two games were called after about 15 minutes (pro games usually go for around 45, but at least 30 generally). I mean, it's not like MILLIONS OF DOLLARS was on line, oh....

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It feels good to be the king again.

Last edited:

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Hopefully. Since the game is still so young though any of those people could be secret Wi-Fi warriors. Fingers crossed. ;)
Ban FD and every game is free. :awesome:

Seriously though, good luck to all the Bowsers at Apex. I'll be cheering for you from the safety of my chair.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah its that shimitake from Japan. I'm going to be grinding all week in the MUs you guys listed. I'm confident that I'll be able to do well. I just have to be on point.

What time is your pool at, Chris? Mine is at like 7pm
I'm 3-5 PM.

B!squick

Smash Master
@Oz You must not have clicked the spoiler that contained this: ;) We don't seem to have a results topic for some reason, so feel free to post it.

D

Deleted member 189823

I am a fan of destroy. I like hangbang game, is also good. I teach, talk and tell of a fight at my bolg, you see here? Sometimes cause people to be friend with you, I don't like that I like fight hard style.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I am a fan of destroy. I like hangbang game, is also good. I teach, talk and tell of a fight at my bolg, you see here? Sometimes cause people to be friend with you, I don't like that I like fight hard style.
You lost me dude.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Why am I trying a lot of characters and coming back to bowser each time ? I swear this guys possess my soul, I cant escape him...

Really I wish I could have attend Apex >.<

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Why am I trying a lot of characters and coming back to bowser each time ? I swear this guys possess my soul, I cant escape him...

Really I wish I could have attend Apex >.<
Probably because Bowser has a unique feel to him that other characters can't provide. And he is the heaviest. Hard to kill with proper DI. Kills early. And threatens players simply by existing.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
or it could be the fact that you HAVE been playing Bowser for five+ years at this point, similar to a good amount of us. Lest you forget, David, we're all bound and tied to this old turtle. ;-;

D

Deleted member 189823

So I made 4th out of 64, I went full Bowser. That was my first Smash 4 (and probably the first PROPER tournament ever). This time I'll probably switch between him and Yoshi, because I am re-discovering my love for Yoshi, as usual.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
just realized there are 2-3 bowser players in my pool.

Bowser_Bomb, *apparently* is a Bowser player (...really.), and I think Kev still plays Bowser, although he most likely switched to Diddy since he doesn't care about the game.

I can't make any guarantees that I will go ALL Bowser, but I don't play anyone else besides him nearly as well, so there's no reason why I would use anyone else, right? I am kind of regretting at this point not having practiced other characters a lot this past month. Should've been playing ZSS more. Oh well. The game is still young as **** anyway.

I know Ixis plays Sonic now, so I'm not sure what he's going to do about that, either.

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Bowser's more than capable of dealing with the majority of the roster but it's still a good idea to have a back-up plan to deal with Sheik and Sonic. Because **** those two.

The only other characters I feel confident with are Luigi and Bowser Jr. but they don't cover Bowser's blind spots that well.

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Oz is a scrub, don't listen to him
jk :B

Top Bottom