• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Videos thread

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW5ML7th774

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOOYwO0Z-E

Two videos of a match against a Pikachu player! I know I do some bad things, but could anyone give some pointers, tips, advice, etc.?
First video:
Starting with koopa isn't bad, but planting it behind you will attack a player who tries to rush you or grab you, especially on faster characters. (if you meant to block thunderbolts than nevermind)
@0:13, you shouldn't try to kart cancel dair unless you get the hit, pikachu was way above you.
@0:18, at this point you know pika has kept it's distance and is in the air a lot, Dair wasn't a good option here, maybe some fairs for approaching. (dair also has a lot of landing lag on miss, another reason to be sparing with them.)
@0:20, perhaps you panicked after the dair, but pikachu missed a punish, so you didn't have to Eject to avoid/counter punish.
@0:22 you ran away.
@0:25 you got really close to throw a koopa that wouldn't have a hitbox for a while.
@0:33, do your best to throw the fair as soon as you jump, so you don't get the landing lag.
@0:35-0:43 They blocked you pretty well, maybe take your time getting back to the stage, with all your jumps, you on the last bit you can see pikachu jump to edgeguard you, it would be safer to ride the edge of the stage. It's harder to hit you and you might be able to tech if they do hit you.
@0:47, You down smashed when pika was in the air.
@0:52, nice try with the eject.
@0:54, you got a hit, but you need to act right out of the dash hit to followup, you sat there a bit.
@0:58 nice try with nair, bowjr. can't do much in that kind of combo, just nair or air dodge.
@1:00 Good job going for a fair.
@!:02 After the fair, you had two options, retreat, or try to attack for a nair. (or maybe fastfall, but you wouldn't have much time.
@1:05, Eject is not a very safe avoiding tool, you had time to throw a defensive nair or kart hop.
@1:14, Fair would've covered more if they tried to hit you, you would've been able to shield if they let loose when you landed.
@1:15, You could've placed a support koopa, or koopakarted at his land.
@!:18, despite missing, if you would've thrown your dair out sooner you would've hit them.
@1:28, you tried to drill, not a bad move here, but you jumped second, so pika probably would've beat you if they attacked.
@1:43, nice drill catch.
@1:45, you used bair to soon, which is okay, but try to distance yourself more, koopaling's spacing is an important aspect.
@1:50, when pikachu attacked, you could've retaliated with midair jump, fair.
@1:52, you avoided the thunder, you could've dropped a koopa, or attacked with nair.
@1:58, Could've dropped a koopa.
@2:03, It's better to sheild if you mess up, since it's frame 1, rather than abandon ship.
@2:08, you have a koopa on the floor, and pika is in the center of the stage, your abandon ship hammer would (almost) never be a valid option, so once you ejected, you should stage at the edge until you're ready, or just sweetspot the ledge upon eject, you'll be safer with your koopa.
@2:10, you jumped out of your car (good, it's faster than spin out), if you fastfall you can act out sooner, maybe double jump to pika or set another koopa.
@2:11, Shield, then grab or Usmash, don't eject here
You do a good job avoiding thunder.
@2:25, you got the kill, not set and or pick up a koopa. free projectile (although you'll have to wait til they aren't invincible.
@2:38, you kept your distance throwing a high koopa, nice.
@2:55-@2:59, good approach with koopa.

Ended up writing a lot more than I planned.
Biggest things I see:
Move into your next move sooner,
Shield more than you Abandon ship.
if you have free time, get a koopa.

ozydandias

Smash Rookie
NNID
bizarro_dan
3DS FC
4055-6638-3178
First video:
Ended up writing a lot more than I planned.
Biggest things I see:
Move into your next move sooner,
Shield more than you Abandon ship.
if you have free time, get a koopa.
Holy crap, dude. Thanks a ton for this! I definitely need to learn my timing & frame reading and get my reaction time better. Any tips on that? Seriously, though. Great advice.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Thanks, at first i saw the like and almost sighed, glad you appreciate it!
about reactions:
I think playing offline more if you mostly play online, then there is no lag to consider (easier to learn to react if you hit/miss)
Practicing perfect sheilding on a higher level projectile user (link, falco) may help you build reaction speed, or at least see where you are at on predicting a hit. (Do you know if you can reliably perfect shield?)
While playing, try to keep an eye on if the opp. has more jumps left, this will let you know they can't jump from a fair/other attack. This last one is hard to explain, so it may not just be a 'feel for it' thing.
If a move is barely missed (like pikachu's fair), try to get a quick hit in before they can be comfortable throwing another attack out. This means even after they can act again, they may be forced to jump, airdodge, or hit the ground before they are ready for you.
Your welcome, Hope I catch some more vids to see how you improve :grin:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
hey all, just wanted to update you guys with my latest tourney results.

On Monday I got 2nd out of 42 at a socal tournament and in the process I took a set off of Void (number 1 hawaii sheik and soon to be socal PR player), Angbad (socal rank 20) and K9 (socal rank 5). It was a crazy tourney, Ludwig is so fun. Here is the bracket and 2 videos from the event.

http://challonge.com/msm18singles

1. Me vs k9 Winners finals game five

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9N8LTkECXA

2. Final game of grand finals vs Void

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVwUXRIJl0

I mess up big time but I also pull off my favorite combo at 18-34<<<<<<

Last edited:

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Oh also, I FINALLY got access to my original account back. So this account (ViceGrip) is my main, original account. I created the V1cegrip account cause I had lost control over it and could not get a response from smashboards staff for over FOUR YEARS. uggg. lol finally a moderator responded and helped so here I am...again.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
ViceGrip ViceGrip Angbad keeps asking me for advice in the BJr mu and he was so stoked that he managed to beat you haha. He sent me the link to the vod and I was really impressed with how many rolls you managed to punish using the pullback of the cart. I've been actively trying to use that for a while now so it's cool seeing someone else using it too.

Also damn, you outplay him super hard. I Honestly feel like the only stock he "won" was the first stock of game 2.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
ViceGrip ViceGrip Angbad keeps asking me for advice in the BJr mu and he was so stoked that he managed to beat you haha. He sent me the link to the vod and I was really impressed with how many rolls you managed to punish using the pullback of the cart. I've been actively trying to use that for a while now so it's cool seeing someone else using it too.

Also damn, you outplay him super hard. I Honestly feel like the only stock he "won" was the first stock of game 2.
Oh nice, you and angbad are in touch. Yes socal is infested with jr's like hardest matchup, Olimar haha. We got angbad, imhip, and rich brown. Oh cool you saw that set, I agree with you, I thought i was doing pretty well for the most part, it just didn't go my way this time. I look forward to our next set though! Ya I think that the kart's best function aside from movement and combo starter, the reelback is amazing to catch rolls or to space people out, I love using the reel back all the time like how yoshis use fsmash to reel back and then counter attack.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah I play Olimar as well so I'm in the skype group and talk to him all the time. Watching the set made me sad tbh haha. You're probably exposed to more olimar play than any other bjr. You've got a better handle on the mu than anyone else, but it still looks borderline unwinnable unless you consistently outplay your opponent by a wide margin (and even then the win isn't guaranteed).

Last edited:

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I play Olimar as well so I'm in the skype group and talk to him all the time. Watching the set made me sad tbh haha. You're probably exposed to more olimar play than any other bjr. You've got a better handle on the mu than anyone else, but it still looks borderline unwinnable unless you consistently outplay your opponent by a wide margin (and even then the win isn't guaranteed).
yea you're I probably have the most experience, but i'm not convinced it's so unwinnable you have to counterpick. I'll work on some new ideas for the matchup. definitely his top 3 harder matchups though, so tricky to get in and if pikmin latches on back of your head...ouch.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi

I am not the one thats posting FG matches, however this opponent I met was a comptevity gem and this was 2 of 3 matches I had against him.
any critism about my gameplay? :3 I know I got roughed up in Little Mac match but I changed the turned later on xD

ozydandias

Smash Rookie
NNID
bizarro_dan
3DS FC
4055-6638-3178

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011

I am not the one thats posting FG matches, however this opponent I met was a comptevity gem and this was 2 of 3 matches I had against him.
any critism about my gameplay? :3 I know I got roughed up in Little Mac match but I changed the turned later on xD
I enjoyed ⌚ no these, fairly sure you're above me so idk on advice, maybe be careful one choosing grab to punish (like on lil mac), up smash is faster and beats a spot dodge.

Kryver98

Smash Rookie
Two more vidya's for you guys to critique! Both are against the same player.

Vs. Captain Falcon (I thought I did fairly well in this match, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the kill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7rxarjov8

Vs. Luigi (I spammed a couple attacks and had some bad inputs, but I'm happy with how I played)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RJU3hEH4_Y
Okay, watching the vs. Luigi video, I need to address a few things. First off, stop with the Down Smashes. The only time you should use it is if you are absolutely sure your opponent will be where its hitboxes lie, and you need to hit on both sides. The Clown Cannon is also an awful move to use in the neutral game. Finally, it's not safe to go for Dairs too often.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but seeing you use all those unsafe moves in succession, and believe me, Jr. has plenty of unsafe moves, made me cringe.

Kryver98

Smash Rookie

So, watching the Little Mac match, I personally believe you to be more skilled than me. However, I have to suggest that against fast opponents like Mac and Sheik, be very wary of sending out Mechakoopas in the neutral game because of their significant startup. I like how you used B-reverse Mechakoopa at the start of the match so that it couldn't immediately be threatened. Also, I'm never too keen on sending out Mechakoopas in the air because it just makes their hitbox take longer to be active, and if your opponent is positioned on the stage, they'll soon be able to catch on and grab them.

Last edited:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Oh also, I FINALLY got access to my original account back. So this account (ViceGrip) is my main, original account. I created the V1cegrip account cause I had lost control over it and could not get a response from smashboards staff for over FOUR YEARS. uggg. lol finally a moderator responded and helped so here I am...again.
Your spinout edgeguards are insane dude. Are you going to G3?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
lol, rewatch my replays and I can now see they werent that good as I first thought xD

I enjoyed ⌚ no these, fairly sure you're above me so idk on advice, maybe be careful one choosing grab to punish (like on lil mac), up smash is faster and beats a spot dodge.
I missed timed the FSmash punish with the grab due lag but I shall remember this
So, watching the Little Mac match, I personally believe you to be more skilled than me. However, I have to suggest that against fast opponents like Mac and Sheik, be very wary of sending out Mechakoopas in the neutral game because of their significant startup. I like how you used B-reverse Mechakoopa at the start of the match so that it couldn't immediately be threatened. Also, I'm never too keen on sending out Mechakoopas in the air because it just makes their hitbox take longer to be active, and if your opponent is positioned on the stage, they'll soon be able to catch on and grab them.
was a big laggy on those matches (you can see the misstimes Grab on FSmash of lag)
I am using MK in some form stage controll and a diversion, one of the reason I like to use them in air cause when they fly they do are active and they have to pay attention to either me or MK.
at the start of the Shiek match, was pretty sure that he would use needles therefore I jumped. shouldnt use MK and position myself better (or rather, B-reverse it without jumping like in Little Mac match)

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Your spinout edgeguards are insane dude. Are you going to G3?

Thanks! since jr doesnt have a very usable spike in most situations I think it's important to try and master the mecha> kart spinout or mecha> fair offstage. Uhhh, if i get get the time off work i'll go, but I just started a full time-job that makes me work all weekend evenings, so we'll see. are you planning on it?

Last edited:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Thanks! since jr doesnt have a very usable spike in most situations I think it's important to try and master the mecha> kart spinout or mecha> fair offstage. Uhhh, if i get get the time off work i'll go, but I just started a full time-job that makes me work all weekend evenings, so we'll see. are you planning on it?
Ahh yeah I understand that.

Yeah I'm carpooling down with some other BC players for it, would be cool to meet some of the other top bowser jr players

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Oh damn, didn't realize you had to play Holy. Will check these out.

You had a habit of panic rolling towards Holy after getting knocked down/techrolling towards him in general. You also sat in shield a lot.

In this MU BJr gets a lot out of baiting with shield, just gotta make sure that your spotdodges are on point. Rob gets punished and comboed super hard by bjr, just gotta make those opportunities happen, though it's not like it's a super great mu or anything.

General strategy for the future vs Rob (and I know it's Holy, I don't think you played badly, you actually did almost everything right in the first stock of game 1): Once you find an opening to make something happen stay in close as long as possible to rack up a ton of damage. When it's not safe to throw out attacks you gotta back off reeeeeally hard. Essentially you want to be faking aggression/skirting his range until he messes up and then go in to pile on the percent. Once you've lost the advantage rinse and repeat.

And Holy's item game is insane, but it's also super predictable because he assumes most people don't know how to deal with jct'ing. When he's dribbling the gyro to close the gap throwing out pretty much any aerial will lead into a good situation for you.

Last edited:

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
Thx for the tips!
As much as I want to say the panic rolls were due to nerves, I have to admit that once i realized my mecha koopas would have no effect on him I felt like i didn't have many options. His projectile game and his out of shield dsmash was something I never played against before so wasn't sure what to do about that.

The gyro dribbling after a while I saw it coming but by reflex i would press shield instead of attacking him lol.

I'm glad that this match ended up on youtube cause I will be able to learn a lot from it. Currently working controlling the stage with mecha koopas and f tilts since I had no control against holy. So hopefully when I play against another top player it won't be so one sided.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Here's a set of me playing Lucas against Nagalfar, a very good BowJr mainer. It might gives you an idea on this pretty rare mu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYyQH8vA4Vo
Great job with spaced zair and pk fire, and good mixup on using and destroying the mechakoopa. I think you should snake to ledge more, a couple times you would pk fire BowJr, be pushed off stage, and take the time to pkthunder instead of a quick snake back up. (I know this isn't a lucas thread but I thought I'd offer help)
Now about Jr..
Pkfire is a big block to approaches with koopa or kart, but it's tough for lucas to toss out 2 pkfire to block the MK and Jr's approach.

River.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Riverage
3DS FC
2105-9000-6115
Great job with spaced zair and pk fire, and good mixup on using and destroying the mechakoopa. I think you should snake to ledge more, a couple times you would pk fire BowJr, be pushed off stage, and take the time to pkthunder instead of a quick snake back up. (I know this isn't a lucas thread but I thought I'd offer help)
Now about Jr..
Pkfire is a big block to approaches with koopa or kart, but it's tough for lucas to toss out 2 pkfire to block the MK and Jr's approach.
Yeah I hardy try to ledgetrump. But even if I lost this set I think the mu is even, or might be in Lucas'favor. BowJr has a large hurtbox so he is easy to combo and he struggles to apporoach Lucas. Nagalfar and I both discovered the mu while playing this set and he might adapted faster than me, I was really suprised by BowJr 's aerials, they have really great range and he can mixup as well, and he's f smash is dangereous ^^

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Played on stream a ton tonight. Gonna have a lot of fodder for this thread in the morning. Gon eliminated from bracket in the most Moosebones way possible (lost both stocks going too ham for edgeguards vs a random first timer; this is very classic me as anyone in my scene can attest), but I'll upload the other 3 sets since they're not only vs competent opponents, they're in matchups I hear people complaining about all the time on here (toon link, luigi, falcon and the ditto).

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Vs. Jayslap, best Toon Link in Ontario and one of my BJr disciples
http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/v/20855749?t=42m0s

Vs. Poke, best Luigi in the country, currently #1 on the Ontario PR (25th at TBH5 cuz he sd'd at like, 20 :( )
www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/v/20855749?t=1h30m30s

Vs. n0ne, one of the best Melee Falcons in the world but he doesn't play smash 4 much (tbh he probably plays more than I do now that I think about it)
www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/v/20855749?t=2h3m0s

If anyone wants watch the Ike game after that feel free to. If you pm me I'll explain what was happening to make me play so badly (funniest johns ever tbh, just don't want to write the situation down on a public forum for the sake of sparing peoples' feelings).

Last edited:

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
"0-death"

*clip starts with the bjr getting hit*
it started with a trade-off but i still had advantage over wario in the neutral game because he missed his tech and i was already in my kart to cover all the get up options, so i wasnt sure what to call it. 0-death sounds better than 10-death or tradeoff-death, so whatever.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Lol I'm just giving you a hard time. The string was nice regardless, though it really seemed like you're a substantially better player than him.

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
Lol I'm just giving you a hard time. The string was nice regardless, though it really seemed like you're a substantially better player than him.
haha tru he actually just picked up wario and he kept beating all my secondaries, and this is when i switched to bowser jr. He just didnt know the matchup at all, on the other hand i knew the bjr vs wario matchup pretty good

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
Dayzin, I think vs Rob throwing the top upward sis a good idea since it removes the top from play for a valuable couple of seconds while u can get your offense going easier. Nice matches.

Also everyone here my friend Falln made a tournament highlight video of my Ludwig, so hope you all enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3twTEdaylw
Thanks for the tip man I'll remember that for the next time

ozydandias

Smash Rookie
NNID
bizarro_dan
3DS FC
4055-6638-3178
Okay, watching the vs. Luigi video, I need to address a few things. First off, stop with the Down Smashes. The only time you should use it is if you are absolutely sure your opponent will be where its hitboxes lie, and you need to hit on both sides. The Clown Cannon is also an awful move to use in the neutral game. Finally, it's not safe to go for Dairs too often.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but seeing you use all those unsafe moves in succession, and believe me, Jr. has plenty of unsafe moves, made me cringe.
Sorry, went on vacation and completely forgot to check in on this.

You don't sound harsh at all! I asked for criticism and you gave it. Thank you for the tips! I really do appreciate them.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I've got some more vids up!
Here's a set of 3 zamus matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPv_pjTf0I&index=14&list=PLy-TO_xuaA1-UC7F1Rey2OUmho3Ar64xd
Matchup with wario, lost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akfF5r53qY8&list=PLy-TO_xuaA1-UC7F1Rey2OUmho3Ar64xd&index=17
Matchup with Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l7ZpfM01-s&list=PLy-TO_xuaA1-UC7F1Rey2OUmho3Ar64xd&index=18
and a quick yoshi match that I just couldn't get a grip on. (despite having a roomate Yoshi player)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEzFLDx02kg&index=19&list=PLy-TO_xuaA1-UC7F1Rey2OUmho3Ar64xd

a little advice or writeup would be awesome. thanks in advance!

Top Bottom