• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Videos thread

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Boss had no idea what he was doing and seagull just used bair a million times while boss kept walking into it.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Idk in my opinion O didnt like his jr.
I think he did way too many unsafe options
What I did was generally safe and bait heavy.
Boss had no idea what he was doing and seagull just used bair a million times while boss kept walking into it.
What would you do if someone Bairs in place over and over again? I've been doing this same strategy for 7 years and have yet to find someone with a reliable answer...

:018:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I mean, as Wario he doesn't really have to approach, he wins by letting the clock run down. You played well and punished his yolo approaches.

Toxin21

Smash Rookie
Maybe in brawl
But imo
Couldve seen better options
Like play around with the mecha and keep pressure with the mecha at hand

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
If bair is spaced properly on shield Wario doesn't really have the range to get a massive punish even with a power shield. His best option really was to airdodge through bair and out frame data bjr, but I'm pretty sure if that happened once Joe would have adapted.

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
joe played well in the set but way too many mistakes and missed opportunities/punishes.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Video dump!!!!! This is from a tournament I won recently, beating the rank 16 Olimar and rank 9 sheik of SoCal. Sadly Grand Finals was not recorded due to unlucky file corruption.

here's the challonge for that one: http://challonge.com/S4P7

1. Me vs Pitbull (Lucario, winners finals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1GUwJ86IY

2. Me vs ImHip (Olimar, I win for once! Close-ass set)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e3TejFVSk4

3. Me vs hexfactor (ROB, starts at 1:12)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc1DU9xcOvI

Here are some other recent tournament vids I hadn't posted yet but they are very good as well.

1. Me vs CharlietheKing (fox, Losers semi finals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBY4vw9Uw4

2. Me vs LeePuff (extremely good Yoshi, formerly ranked SoCal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5np2Nm6IzU

3. Me Vs Mutumbo (DK, a bit of a combo city cause dk so big)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O7XZHbHFy4

Last edited:

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
nah void is number 1.5 lol. Cause he's still sorta hawaii but he placed well enough and was active long enough to be ranked 2nd it looks like. #9 sheik is k9.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
K9 is such an anomalous sheik lol. Ive never played vs him but in videos Ive never seen a sheik stay grounded as much as him. I get the feeling he'd be easier to play against playstlye wise as bjr than a sheik who was mixing up empty hops and faking aggression.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Video dump!!!!! This is from a tournament I won recently, beating the rank 16 Olimar and rank 9 sheik of SoCal. Sadly Grand Finals was not recorded due to unlucky file corruption.

here's the challonge for that one: http://challonge.com/S4P7

1. Me vs Pitbull (Lucario, winners finals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1GUwJ86IY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O7XZHbHFy4
that first vid, at 7:07, Should be in the smash dictionary when you look up spacing. verry nice.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

2. Me vs LeePuff (extremely good Yoshi, formerly ranked SoCal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5np2Nm6IzU
I only watched the first round of this set, but here's my critique of things you should work on/be more aware of for the future:

- You moved in way too much while releasing mechkoopa. You put yourself in too close a proximity to be punished. You should work on using grounded b reversals while retreating to have the safest way to get mechs out besides on platforms.

- You threw the mech way too much and did not give it time to walk around and instill pressure. I've noticed that if people have a tendency to pick up the mech with jab or DA then you have the opportunity to shoot a mid/long range cannonball, which will go through the mech when thrown.

- You jumped above :4yoshi: TOO much. He's a character that relies on getting you airborne. You do not want to be above him and :4ludwig: doesn't have the best options coming down. The reward (Nair/Dair) is not worth the risk aka getting Uair'd repeatedly/juggled.

Sidenote: I never thought of spinning out when an opponent is chasing me from the side. Will add that to my arsenal for my :4roy:.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
You threw the mech way too much and did not give it time to walk around and instill pressure. I've noticed that if people have a tendency to pick up the mech with jab or DA then you have the opportunity to shoot a mid/long range cannonball, which will go through the mech when thrown.
Lmfao this might be the worst advice you could possibly give. Vicegrip's biggest strength is his mechakoopa control; it's the reason he's the only bjr to consistently beat good Olimar players while everyone else changes to a different character for the mu.This is especially bad advice considering the set you watched was vs a Yoshi and Yoshi's DA is great for beating out cannonball without even trying + the way his body moves the placement of the mk while in hand means the cannonball will often not even hit it during a DA.

Lots of your advice is predicated on the fact that your region has no experience in the matchup.

Last edited:

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
I only watched the first round of this set, but here's my critique of things you should work on/be more aware of for the future:

- You moved in way too much while releasing mechkoopa. You put yourself in too close a proximity to be punished. You should work on using grounded b reversals while retreating to have the safest way to get mechs out besides on platforms.

- You threw the mech way too much and did not give it time to walk around and instill pressure. I've noticed that if people have a tendency to pick up the mech with jab or DA then you have the opportunity to shoot a mid/long range cannonball, which will go through the mech when thrown.

- You jumped above :4yoshi: TOO much. He's a character that relies on getting you airborne. You do not want to be above him and :4ludwig: doesn't have the best options coming down. The reward (Nair/Dair) is not worth the risk aka getting Uair'd repeatedly/juggled.

Sidenote: I never thought of spinning out when an opponent is chasing me from the side. Will add that to my arsenal for my :4roy:.

Hey Seagull, thanks for the advice! Nice to see you posting more in the land of Jr's, especially for MU advice. I 100% agree with you, grounded b reverse is safest way to set down a mechakoopa behind you, it leaves you less exposed then the jumping version. I mainly do jump because my input error on jump is extremely low, meanwhile I still need to master the grounded version. It's only a small difference but everything counts in this game. I find that against people who pick up the mecha consistently, if you lay it down going forward, a lot of the time you may as well pick it up to try and pressure them otherwise they may use it against u. It's all a judgement call, sometimes I use cannon too to provide mid to long range shield pressure in tandem with the mecha. Cannon is used pretty sparingly however in most matchups (it has more use in the villager, olimar, and duckhunt Mu's imo). Basically whether to pick up the mecha, or use it to walk around, both situations you are creating pressure and although the walking one can potentially control more space on the stage, picking it up can create more ariel space control. Regardless we all should be doing both as a constant mixup so the opponent is never quite sure what your intentions are, Jr lives or dies on his mixup game.

As for spinout, I'm glad u see more use for it, I love ariel spinout. It beats out plenty of moves and people struggle to space against it because the moment you decide to spinout your hitbox just out a ton, plus you have that lower-half super armour. Also a small spinout tip is you can use it to beat out rapidjabs when people try and rapidjab you to halt your regular side b approach. Gracias for the tips tho, I will hit the lab hard to try and learn grounded b reverse mechakoopa better as I strive for perfection lol.

Lmfao this might be the worst advice you could possibly give. Vicegrip's biggest strength is his mechakoopa control; it's the reason he's the only bjr to consistently beat good Olimar players while everyone else changes to a different character for the mu.This is especially bad advice considering the set you watched was vs a Yoshi and Yoshi's DA is great for beating out cannonball without even trying + the way his body moves the placement of the mk while in hand means the cannonball will often not even hit it during a DA.

Lots of your advice is predicated on the fact that your region has no experience in the matchup.

Yoshi dash attack is a great pickup of mecha koopa, you mainly have to place mecha behind you in that matchup, or just be extremely prepared to punish the dash attack if they rush in to pick it up. (you can get an usmash kill if you succeed however)

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah spotdodge>upsmash is one of the most useful tools vs yoshi's arsenal, definitely agree.

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
Ok, so I swear im not bad guys, Nakat was the only one who beat me in my pool, but would appreciate critique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZO1MbPNWco (The Toolbag Vs Nakat)

Also, I know I chose a few unsafe approaches and I tend to get way too agro, I feel as if my nuetral was not too bad, but nakat just had great evasion and MU ex, but please, let me know what you think I should work on

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
The Ness mu is garbage and Nakat is a great player, but in mu's like this anti aggression is almost always the best bet. Ness has a ton of super safe anti air options and bjr's only real non-side b approach options are aerial. Ness absolutely bodies BJr in CQC but BJr does marginally better at a distance. Also don't confuse the fact that he didn't get smacked by your bair walls as evasion, he was waiting for you to make your move first and then was reacting accordingly. He's not so much better than you that he literally just avoided everything; most of your stuff wasn't going to land in the first place in the situations that you threw out hitboxes.

I think most BJr players (myself included) could use a little more patience in their playstyle.

Last edited:

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
Ok, so I swear im not bad guys, Nakat was the only one who beat me in my pool, but would appreciate critique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZO1MbPNWco (The Toolbag Vs Nakat)

Also, I know I chose a few unsafe approaches and I tend to get way too agro, I feel as if my nuetral was not too bad, but nakat just had great evasion and MU ex, but please, let me know what you think I should work on
you did good considering you had to fight Nakat, who got all the way to Grand finals and 3-0'd nairo in winners finals.

One thing i noticed (that EE pointed out), was that you didnt really mix it up in terms of grabs. You never went for a single grab the first set. On the second set you did go for some pivot grabs and out of shield grabs but you never successfully landed a grab. I know bowser jr's grab is pretty slow but its the only way of beating shield so i think you can improve on how you land the grab. Nakat always would shield when you get in you side b or try to approach with dair/fair, so my suggestion would be to mix it up by approaching with side-b to bait shield, jump cancel and fast fall tomahawk into a grab. At 6:45 you could also z-drop mechakoopa into grab instead of going for f-smash if they wont drop shield.

after a grab id suggest up-throw because you can potentially frame trap with up air. if they use their double jump to avoid the up air then you could go for a safer side-b since ness doesnt have much landing options. and thats my constructive criticism :)

TLDR: mix up with grabs

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
At 6:45 you could also z-drop mechakoopa into grab instead of going for f-smash if they wont drop shield.
Why tf would yo go for fsmash if you know they aren't going to drop shield?

EDIT: Lmao totally misread this, carry on my wayward son.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Bjr doesn't have consistent shield break situations in singles. The best you can hope for is someone sits in shield with a blinking mk right beside them and you drop an up b on them, and then follow up with the up b hammer. His smashes kinda suck for breaking shields.

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
I've been maining Bowser Jr. (Lemmy to be specific) for quite some time, attending some tournaments on and off..

I have tons of videos posted on my youtube account but mostly random replays :p These are some of the ones I spent time working on and editing myself, might help any other koopaling players out if you want to take a look :)

For Glory Montage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ7jwN0M1kM

Some random 0-deaths, extended combos, and full shield breaks with Bowser Jr.:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_wwQmQ_LyfED7NNaRxcl1dNBTXiaTXX4

I'm also working on a longer video for the kart combos and instant explosion tricks.. Need some more clips for those first though. Also shoutouts to AcestarThe3rd getting me into bowser jr. :)

Last edited:

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
I've been maining Bowser Jr. (Lemmy to be specific) for quite some time, attending some tournaments on and off..

I'm also working on a longer video for the kart combos and instant explosion tricks.. Need some more clips for those first though. Also shoutouts to AcestarThe3rd getting me into bowser jr. :)
Dude! I love your junior! we needed a good lemmy main. Go to tournament and get results! cuz you are doing great

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Lol why is everyone sitting in shield after getting hit with the explosion?

Nagalfar

Smash Rookie
It's been quite some time since I went here, so a little update.
Last week there was in Paris an Invitational tourney where 16 of the best french players were invited. I thankfully managed to get out of pools and get a 7th place in bracket.

VS Denti / Trax (Falcon / Luigi)
VS Elexiao (Pac-Man / Greninja)
VS Yass (Fox)
VS Mana (Toon Link)

I'm prob going to study these mechakoopa edgeguards Vicegrip does, might be more useful and less suicide-intending than fastfall bair stage spikes. Still, hope you enjoy the watch!

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
Lol why is everyone sitting in shield after getting hit with the explosion?
Eh, quite a few people do it. lol that one is pretty situational but if they roll away you can try fast falling and getting them with the hammer. It's also a surprising amount of shield damage so definitely can catch people off guard

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah that's a super good way to get punished vs someone competent though.

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
It's been quite some time since I went here, so a little update.
Last week there was in Paris an Invitational tourney where 16 of the best french players were invited. I thankfully managed to get out of pools and get a 7th place in bracket.

VS Denti / Trax (Falcon / Luigi)
VS Elexiao (Pac-Man / Greninja)
VS Yass (Fox)
VS Mana (Toon Link)

I'm prob going to study these mechakoopa edgeguards Vicegrip does, might be more useful and less suicide-intending than fastfall bair stage spikes. Still, hope you enjoy the watch!
I think it would help to be more defensive against TL and have him come to you, but that's the only kind of critique I can think of

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
ViceGrip ViceGrip if I were to post a few matches of my Ludwig, would you mind doing a write-up for me? I've pretty much hit a dead end when it comes to my gameplay and I don't know what I need to do to improve.

I also have another problem. What do I friggin do against ZSS? I've had two of my friends who never ever play ZSS 3 stock me because of u-air -> up-b strings. I was originally gunna record that match but it's just a **** show so I didn't bother

Last edited:

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
ViceGrip ViceGrip if I were to post a few matches of my Ludwig, would you mind doing a write-up for me? I've pretty much hit a dead end when it comes to my gameplay and I don't know what I need to do to improve.

I also have another problem. What do I friggin do against ZSS? I've had two of my friends who never ever play ZSS 3 stock me because of u-air -> up-b strings. I was originally gunna record that match but it's just a **** show so I didn't bother

hey no problem i'm happy to do any write-ups if there's a request for it. I play against zss quite a bit in friendlies (not so much tournament, not many zss's in so-cal). The biggest thing is to avoid that nair by either flat out beating it out or just being careful in how you approach. Also learn the correct ways to di the up B (This is a great video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_46_2BtOM). Also zss is one of those characters that punish you hard for laying a mechakoopa cause she is so fast and that down b. So the matchup is mainly knowing how to di hits and winning the spacing game. Many jr's think zss is a top 5 hardest matchup (mainly due to jr being combo-food) but my mind isn't made up about it yet. Probably her advantage due to her pressure, speed and combo-ability.

Last edited:

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
Yeah that's a super good way to get punished vs someone competent though.
It really depends on the character and where you are. As long as I'm not on the outsides of the stage I really don't mind using up b. Only quick moves will beat the hammer and you can just move behind your explosion to prevent them chasing.

That's also where mechakoopa comes into play.. but yeah it's still kind of situational as you can't even get that out in some matchups. lol

Last edited:

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
Also decided to redo my video with some better clips and editing if anyone feels like checking it out :)

Lot's of nice combos, KOs, and some neat tricks. Also a short guide included in the description

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - Lemmy Trolls For Glory (Bowser Jr. Montage & Guide):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-O-eUGXdjA

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
It really depends on the character and where you are. As long as I'm not on the outsides of the stage I really don't mind using up b. Only quick moves will beat the hammer and you can just move behind your explosion to prevent them chasing.
I mean I guess? But again, it relies of your opponent to be really bad and have no experience in the mu. Every character is fast enough to shield the up b and then chase your landing since the endlag once you hit the ground is so immense. And the hammer isn't actually that quick. It comes out on frame 8, meaning almost every character has something that can challenge it.

I get it, but calling it a "shieldbreak setup" when it really won't work in an actual game is dishonest. It was funny to see but you'll just get stomped if you think it's a thing you can actually ever use.

Top Bottom